PDA

View Full Version : Recolonization/expansion question

33girl
12-14-2000, 11:26 PM
Say a group gets together at a college and decides to pursue national affiliation, or a college's IFC or Panhel decides to open up for expansion. Now say there was a chapter of ABC there 5-10 years ago, which closed for non-bad reasons. Is "preference" usually given to an organization that previously existed on a campus, if that org decides they want to come back? Is there an NIC/NPC rule regarding this?

xp2k
12-14-2000, 11:43 PM
33girl,

I'm working on a project like this right now. I am trying to restart a chapter of my house at a nearby school and I'm dealing with the same issue.

The university I'm working with has given my fraternity (Chi Phi) an open invitation to recolonize on their campus. I think the university may be more favorable because there my be alumni (to a university, this equals $$$) and there may be a little more support for that group to recharter if they have previously existed on that campus.

Nationally it may be easier because the group may not have to recolonize or spend as much time petitioning nationals for membership. Depending on how long the group has been off campus, nationals may just see it an hiatus and give the group easier membership. Not having the sorority leave for bad reasons could be a plus on your side.

so to answer your question, I'd say yes...but I'm really not an expert...yet. Ask me after I get my colony up and running =)

XP2k

Pike4Life
12-18-2000, 12:36 PM
It's my experience that most schools WILL give a "preference" to any silent chapters first during any periods of expansion, as long as the International/National Headquarters are willing. I'm not sure if there is any NIC/NPC rule regarding silent chapters being recolonized first during expansion periods. I think most schoold do it basically because of the Alumni factor xp2k spoke of. However, if there are not any silent chapters or if the Headquarters do not express interest at returning to the campus at that time, schools will usually invite several specific organizations to make expansion proposals, and then choose which org. they (IFC, Panhellenic, Greek Affairs, etc.) like best. FYI - for sororities, any expansion or recolonization must have the unanimous approval of the university's Panhellenic Council. We had a local sorority spring up on my campus several years ago and they were trying to get ADPi to sponsor them as a colony, but the PC blocked them out because a couple of the smaller chapters voted no. However, if an established interest group has contact with a specific org., then it is kind of up to the HQ to contact the school and inquire about expansion possibilities...some schools are open to expansion, but do not actively pursue it unless someone (Nat'l HQ or local interest group) makes the first move.

Tom Earp
12-18-2000, 04:58 PM
33girl
Many Nationals are looking back to the schools where chapters have been closed. Lambda Chi Alpha is continualy looking at schools where chapters have been closed. If you have some women in your school, who wish to try to get a chapter back on campus, contact that National. You can get all the info you need by checking on greekpages.com of who to contact. If both the National and the school are for it, it will be easier. I started a local that talked to two Nationals and I am forever glad that we went LXA. Good Luck as no matter what Greek organization it is we are all Greeks together!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

CutiePie2000
12-18-2000, 05:23 PM
33girl, I would say that for Panhell groups, it is a case of "First Fired, first Re-Hired". Groups which lose their chapter probably get first dibs to come back onto a campus.

TriSigmaTX
03-06-2002, 01:30 AM
33girl,
I'll be honest with you. I worked for another NPC sorority and they closed chapters this year. We meet with the Greek Advisors and ask them to write a letter saying they'll ask first if they decide to expand again. Well....this doesn't always happen. If the Greek ADvisor refuses to write the letter, or leaves, you could be screwed. Also, it really doesn't matter if a group was there or not previously, unless you have an understanding Greek Advisor.
I know this is harsh....sorry.

bruinaphi
03-06-2002, 02:09 AM
I believe that the number of chapters that have to approve expansion is based on the College Panhellenic Bylaws on each campus. I was reading the Greenbook the other day looking for rules regarding this topic and couldn't find a specific provision requiring a unanimous vote.

RockChalk
03-06-2002, 09:43 AM
TriSigmaTx is right. Four years ago, the AZD chapter at my school closed. They asked to be allowed to recolonize before any other chapter came. That request was denied. They were originally supposed to have been allowed back in 2003, but another sorority is colonizing now and I don't think our Panhel will want two colonies at once.

Kevin
03-06-2002, 09:54 AM
If by the original question as I understand it is to consider expanding through a national sorority that closed at your school vs. one that hasn't I'd say go for the one that was there before.

We just finished the colonization process and have been fortunate enough to have the support of other area chapter's alumni. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like without them (especially their financial support!).

I'd strongly suggest looking at those chapters first, but do not forget to get the advise of Panhellenic and your Greek Life Director, basically anyone that could block your way. Get them to get on board first and the road will suddenly become a LOT smoother.

Good luck!!

Peaches-n-Cream
03-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I don't know if it's an NPC, but I think that you have to wait four years before recolonizing a chapter that has been closed. As others has stated, a sorority needs campus NPC permission in order to recolonize. Good luck!

shadokat
03-06-2002, 01:28 PM
33girl--

It depends on the campus. At my school, in our panhellenic by-laws and what not, we had a provision stating that if any national sorority that was previously afffiliated with the school left, they would be given first preference when expansion occurred. Of course, all of our nationals have never left once they arrived, so it hasn't really applied. I know that D Phi E often does look back to schools where they used to have chapters to recolonize, and we have done it at some places.

If you're thinking about a specific campus, I'd check out that campus panhellenic for a rule.

Good luck!

IowaHawkeye
03-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Cream
I don't know if it's an NPC, but I think that you have to wait four years before recolonizing a chapter that has been closed. As others has stated, a sorority needs campus NPC permission in order to recolonize. Good luck!

It can't be an NPC rule, or if it is we broke that one. DZ left my campus in early 99 and we returned for the 2000/2001 school year, when I was a founding member of the recolonized Iota Chapter. Before we left, we had been here for 85 years, and I'm sure preference was given. No other chapters that left have tried recolonizing (like AGD, SK) but the need for another chapter was here, so we regrouped and came back to campus strong!

FuzzieAlum
03-06-2002, 02:57 PM
In 1999 NPC passed a new rule. If a chapter closes (that is, because the sorority closes it, not because the school revokes its recognition for something bad), that National can recolonize within one year without the school having any say in the matter. But once that year is up, that sorority is like any other, and Panhel has to vote on it, etc.

Peaches-n-Cream
03-06-2002, 04:40 PM
I am almost positive there was a four year wait to recolonize when I was in school. I think maybe my age is showing. ;) I do remember some sororities had a policy where if a chapter is having problems with numbers and in danger of closing, national would turn the sisters into alumnae and recruit new members within a year.

LexiKD
03-06-2002, 04:53 PM
I assume after the intial year is over after a closing then there is no preference.

We happend to do it that way and invited the old group back, but it had nothing to do with them being here orginally.

FuzzieAlum
03-06-2002, 06:51 PM
I think after one year whether there is a preference is up to the school, the Greek advisor, etc. At some schools they may prefer to bring back former chapters, either for historical reasons or because their alums are supportive. Other places, no.

For example, there is an NPC sorority that petitions every year to come back to campus. Every year they are voted down, because Panhel doesn't feel there is room for another group. But even if there was, I bet our local (over 100 years old) would vote against it, because being the oldest group on campus is a big deal to them, and this national was there before they were. And the original alums from that chapter are definitely long dead by now, so the school doesn't care about them.

33girl
03-06-2002, 10:23 PM
I was wondering about this cause our Kappa Phi chapter recently came back to Mt. Union College. Tri-Delta had left maybe 6 years ago...we left slightly earlier, in, oh, 1910 or so. ;) I had thought the school would instantly go back to DDD for the alum support factor, since all our alums from that chapter would be quite dead, but they asked the 2 of us (along with KD who also had been there) to present and picked us. Whatever, I'm glad they did.

Cream, I think the 4 year wait you are thinking of was to assure that all the present members have graduated. Of course since graduating in 4 years is far from the norm anymore, it's now usually wait until after all the present members graduate. One of the fraternities that had been at my school wanted to do this, but the old brothers just kept...not graduating. (they were not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier) I think the national finally gave up.

It depends on the Greek advisor too...sometimes if who is in that position has changed since the chapter originally left, it can also be an asset.