PDA

View Full Version : Stork's Nest

NubianBlue
01-22-2001, 10:51 AM
Sorors-
Our chapter just reopened our Stork's Nest and I am looking for any ideas on how to fund it and really make a success of this project. More specifically, I am trying to work to throw a baby shower to stock the nest with layettes, strollers, and other necessities. Please post ANY ideas that you may have, especially for this baby shower! I have thought of writing to businesses and maybe planning some fun games for the guests at the shower. I am anxious to get this baby shower off the ground as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and sisterly love!!

Eclipse
01-22-2001, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by NubianBlue:
Sorors-
Our chapter just reopened our Stork's Nest and I am looking for any ideas on how to fund it and really make a success of this project. More specifically, I am trying to work to throw a baby shower to stock the nest with layettes, strollers, and other necessities. Please post ANY ideas that you may have, especially for this baby shower! I have thought of writing to businesses and maybe planning some fun games for the guests at the shower. I am anxious to get this baby shower off the ground as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and sisterly love!!

Grettings NubianBlue (love the name!),
I am not a Zeta, but the women's group at my church recently sponsored a baby shower for teen mothers and it was quite a success. Let me give you some tips from my experience.

It really helped when people were able to put stories with the need. Folks were much more responsive when they heard that one mother was 15, had been raped at 10, had a mother who was dying of AIDS, etc. The stories tugged at their heart strings and really compeled them to give. We also sent some of this information out in our publicity.

We had a representive for the agency we went through come and speak. You may want to have a local social services agency come and speak as well to discuss what a big need they have in this area. It really made us resolve to make it more than just a one time event.

We played all of the games that you play at traditional baby showers too and had a ball!

I hope your event is just as successful

Sweet Deliverance
01-22-2001, 10:36 PM
Congratulations on your Stork's Nest reopening NubianBlue. What is the time frame for receiving items? Perhaps the chapter could: Sponsor a program where the admission to attend is a baby shower item. Solicit items from family and friends. Ask stores to sponsor items.

For funding:
Raffle tickets. Walk for The
Babies - (Like a MOD walk-a-ton). Food sales.

It is not much, but you may have to plant a lot before the fruit is yielded. Best of success!

------------------
Sweet Deliverance's PHI-losophy:
"What you do or do not do today determines what you can or cannot do tomorrow."

Shelacious
01-25-2001, 12:28 AM
Hey Soror...

Eclispe gave some good advice. In the past, we have gotten materials from Gymboree. This year, I'm building a business plan/case senario to use some of the overstocks from major chains after inventory.

Like Soror Sweet mentioned, you can also ask people to get a gift to supply stork's nest at your luncheons and projects during Finer Womanhood month (they get $5 off on their tickets or something). Also, we partnered with a church, who also was able to assist in gathering materials. Finally, if you affliate with a hospital, you can leverage their lists to get materials.

Finally, I pulled this info from the March of Dimes web site. There is an entire section on Stork's Nest at http://www.modimes.org/Programs2/Community/storks_nest.htm

Q: How does the Stork’s Nest obtain incentive items?

There are several ways to obtain incentive items. Here are just a few ideas:

Local retailers provide overstock and returned items to the Nest.
Corporate sponsorship provides cash to purchase items.
Community baby showers are organized to obtain neighborhood contributions while educating members of the community about Stork’s Nest and its mission.
Local senior citizen groups contribute handmade clothes and other infant care items.

Hope this helps. I would love every community to have a Stork's Nest! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Finer Womanhood: the "Cat's Meow" Since 1920

Eclipse
01-25-2001, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Shelacious:
Hey Soror...

Eclispe gave some good advice. In the past, we have gotten materials from Gymboree. This year, I'm building a business plan/case senario to use some of the overstocks from major chains after inventory.

Local senior citizen groups contribute handmade clothes and other infant care items.

Hope this helps. I would love every community to have a Stork's Nest! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

Ohhh...I forgot about those....We had a member that worked for Wal-Mart and was able to get a lot of good stuff from them (especailly diapers where the bag had been opened) and some of the mothers made little blankets for them!

I hope your event is a success! I just love the idea of your Stork's Nest!

Finer Woman10-A-91
01-25-2001, 11:33 PM
Please remember to order the professional promotional brochures from the National office of the MOD. (PERFECT for pitching to businesses for donations! We adhere a printed address label on the back with our local contact information)

Irene Tzeng is a great person to talk to about this... She is the Community Programs Coordinator at the National office. Email commprog@modimes.org tel. 914 428-7100. And by all means get your local March of Dimes Chapter involved!

Stay tuned Sorors, I am working on a VERY cool project with the National MOD/Stork's Nest Program.

Depending on where you are located, a "Bowling for Babies" bowl-a-thon might be a lot of fun. In the midwest, we loved going bowling.

Good luck!!!!

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!

[This message has been edited by Finer Woman10-A-91 (edited January 28, 2001).]

sassycat
01-30-2001, 07:31 PM
Soror, I am happy that you are reopening up your stork nest. I wish you much success because I am trying to open up a stork's nest in my area,and maybe you have some advice for me. Please keep me posted on the success of your stork nest.

SassyCat
Fall 2000

------------------
A Zeta lady displays finerwomanhood at all times....

littlegirlblue
02-01-2001, 09:25 PM
My chapter has been sponsoring a Stork's Nest for 27 years and we have been successfully raising money with our annual Birthday Calendar.

God Bless

NubianBlue
02-02-2001, 11:43 AM
littlegirlblue-
Could you give me some more informaton on the annual birthday calendar?
P.S. Thanks sorors, for your wonderful input thus far!!

littlegirlblue
02-02-2001, 08:31 PM
For our 2001 calendar, we distributed a letter to our families, friends, organizations, churches, and businesses, explaining our program and that the calendar is our main purpose of funding. People could pay $3 for their birthday to be listed on their particular day, $4 for a memorial or wedding anniversary, and then people can pay anywhere from $10-200 for an ad. It generates a great deal of money for us, especially when we have a number of sorors actively pursuing support.
If you want futher information, feel free to email me at tjn183@cs.com.