PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati prepares for first AfAm Mayor

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 09:28 AM
(not personally but) I knew Mayor-elect Mallory when he was in the state legislature. He's a personable guy.

Getting to know Mark Mallory

Nov. 27, 2005
By Chuck Martin
Enquirer staff writer

The man pulls his rumbling, beaten-up car into the parking lot, rolls down his window and shouts into the frigid November morning air:

"Hey, do you know if there's a record shop around here?"

Standing in the back doorway of his College Hill campaign headquarters, Mark Mallory squints into the sunlight and politely tells him he thinks there's a shop farther down Hamilton Avenue. Satisfied, the man rumbles away, never realizing to whom he was talking.

"I'm pretty new, but I still get recognized in lots of places," Mallory says later that Friday. Soon, he'll have trouble escaping his notoriety. On Thursday, Mallory will be sworn in as mayor of Cincinnati, making him the most powerful elected official in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

www.news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051127/NEWS01/511270377

treblk
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by TonyB06
(not personally but) I knew Mayor-elect Mallory when he was in the state legislature. He's a personable guy.

Getting to know Mark Mallory

Nov. 27, 2005
By Chuck Martin
Enquirer staff writer

The man pulls his rumbling, beaten-up car into the parking lot, rolls down his window and shouts into the frigid November morning air:

"Hey, do you know if there's a record shop around here?"

Standing in the back doorway of his College Hill campaign headquarters, Mark Mallory squints into the sunlight and politely tells him he thinks there's a shop farther down Hamilton Avenue. Satisfied, the man rumbles away, never realizing to whom he was talking.

"I'm pretty new, but I still get recognized in lots of places," Mallory says later that Friday. Soon, he'll have trouble escaping his notoriety. On Thursday, Mallory will be sworn in as mayor of Cincinnati, making him the most powerful elected official in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

www.news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051127/NEWS01/511270377
Tony, the link doesn't work:(

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 09:53 AM
let's try this again:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051127/NEWS01/511270377

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Congrats. I wish him well! :D
Um, but I'mma still want him to seriously think about getting his own "crib". :o :p

I want to make sure my 64 y/o mother is "okay" too. Since I'm 60+ miles away from her, Ma Bell and Cingular do justice for us. :D

Where did he attend school? Is he greek? :confused:
(just curious)

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Congrats. I wish him well! :D
Um, but I'mma still want him to seriously think about getting his own "crib". :o :p

I want to make sure my 64 y/o mother is "okay" too. Since I'm 60+ miles away from her, Ma Bell and Cingular do justice for us. :D

Where did he attend school? Is he greek? :confused:
(just curious)

He went to the Univ. of Cincinnati, and don't think he's greek. (I know he's not a bruh, anyway.) Yeah, I love my parents too, but I think I'd need to put a few city blocks between our houses even if I was still in the hometown. :D

His dad is a famous (albeit retired) politician, well respected in the community, so I think Mallory will get wide lattidude w/ the other politicans early on. He seems the conciliator type, so we'll see how it goes.

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes... city blocks or country miles! :D :cool:

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes... city blocks or country miles! :D :cool:

but errrybody ain't as scandalous as you, though. :cool:

DC_Zeta1920
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Interesting article.

As far as him living with his parents I mean it is room for inquiry but you can't hate a man who loves his mother. But then, the "mommas boy" question arises.

Otherwise, congrats to him.

TonyB06: SKYLINE CHILI :p

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by DC_Zeta1920
TonyB06: SKYLINE CHILI :p

...what you know about the best chili on planet earth? :p
*doggonnit, now I'm hongry for some, DC* :D

DC_Zeta1920
11-30-2005, 12:29 PM
luckily I have a good memory :p

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69375&perpage=15&highlight=Gold+Star+Chili&pagenumber=2

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
but errrybody ain't as scandalous as you, though. :cool:

Word! :rolleyes: ;) :D

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
luckily I have a good memory :p

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69375&perpage=15&highlight=Gold+Star+Chili&pagenumber=2

see, I had forgotten that we had shared the intricies of Cincinnati chili and others things "Queen City." ....but on the culinary tip, I feel you. :cool:

ladylike
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
I *heart* Skyline Chili!

Who knew that chii on spaghetti could actually taste good?!? :confused: :eek: :D

Gimme a five-way and a coney and I'm set. :p :cool:

I wonder if Sen. Mallory (mayor-elect) is affiliate with any BGLO?
Close to 50% of the Ohio Legislative Black Caucus is.

Tony, do think Mark's job as senator had any impact? He has a huge task ahead of him as mayor of Cinti. How does the Over-the-Rhine (sp?) area look these days?

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
ladylike...Your siggy. That song is hilarious! I LMAO when she says "bling bling". :o

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ladylike
I *heart* Skyline Chili!

Who knew that chii on spaghetti could actually taste good?!? :confused: :eek: :D

Gimme a five-way and a coney and I'm set. :p :cool:

I wonder if Sen. Mallory (mayor-elect) is affiliate with any BGLO?
Close to 50% of the Ohio Legislative Black Caucus is.

Tony, do think Mark's job as senator had any impact? He has a huge task ahead of him as mayor of Cinti. How does the Over-the-Rhine (sp?) area look these days?

LMBO @u. Ladylike, you betta tell these folks 'bout dat Skyline. They think they know, but they don't know!!!

A few members of the OLBC are Alphas and one rep. I know is DST, but I don't think Mallory is greek-affiliated. I think a lot of things probably went into his decision to run for mayor. Cincy's racial strife/riots in recent years hurt everybody who loves the city. Republicans control the statehouse, leaving Democrats w/out any policy leadership opportunity, so Mallory may have seen the mayoralty as a better short-term chance to make a difference.

I'm a native Cincinnatian, but live up near Cleveland now so I'll have to defer to Wend08 on the status of Over-the-Rhine. But when I go home and visit the near downtown, Over-the-Rhine, Vine Street corridor areas, it's not encouraging. I hope Mallory/city government get it together and bring my city back.

ladylike
11-30-2005, 03:00 PM
@AKA2D: I always have to :rolleyes: and say bless her heart on the "bling, bling" part. Why she got to say "bling, bling?" LOL

@TonyB: If I had 1,000 tongues I could not attest to the goodness of Skyline. :p :D And the cheddar potato! Umph!

I fear for the 2006 election because Blackwell may have a chance of winning this thing. :eek: He is not going to be willing to play ball and acquiesce to the offer of some cushy appointed position even if that might be for the good of his party.

With Coleman bowing out of the governor's race yesterday, Ted Strickland is going to have to come strong in terms of making a statewide name for himself. Do you think the OLBC will offer their support to any of the candidates?

I've attended a couple of hearings at the statehouse and it's disheartening, to say the least. :(

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 03:02 PM
chili AND spaghetti? :confused:

It's a regional thing, I'm sure! :D

Eclipse
11-30-2005, 03:29 PM
chili AND spaghetti? :confused:

It's a regional thing, I'm sure! :D

Chile, and don't believe the hype. Skyline chili is NAS--TEEEE!

Man, first time I went to Cinci with the hubby he raved about Skyline chili for the entire 8 hours it took us to get there. We were so busy seeing relatives and stuh almost didn't get there, but he beat down the door of one at closing time so I could get my first taste. I got a *I think* 5 way and thought I was going to DIE!! Bless his little heart, you woulda thought I had shot his puppy at the way he looked when I said I didn't like it. That was my first and last time eating Skyline Chili! :D He did punk me into trying GoldStar and someother kind too, but they are the equally nasty.

I think there is something in the Ohio River water that makes it an aquired taste.

**waiting patiently for the comeback from TonyB! **

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse
Chile, and don't believe the hype. Skyline chili is NAS--TEEEE!

Man, first time I went to Cinci with the hubby he raved about Skyline chili for the entire 8 hours it took us to get there. We were so busy seeing relatives and stuh almost didn't get there, but he beat down the door of one at closing time so I could get my first taste. I got a *I think* 5 way and thought I was going to DIE!! Bless his little heart, you woulda thought I had shot his puppy at the way he looked when I said I didn't like it. That was my first and last time eating Skyline Chili! :D He did punk me into trying GoldStar and someother kind too, but they are the equally nasty.

I think there is something in the Ohio River water that makes it an aquired taste.

**waiting patiently for the comeback from TonyB! **

What?!?!? Eclipse, me and you are about to fight. :mad: :p

How you gon' get on GC and trip like this? :D You drove 8 hours--you wuz obviously TIRED, too tired to enjoy what you ate. Now, if your palate wasn't sophisticated enough to handle the delicacy that is Skyline Chili, then say that; but to come on here and just slam Skyline, like you Emeril's play cousin or somebody -- nah, I can't let it go down like that. :D

The only other reason I can figure for all this hating is cause you know that my team is going to the SUPER BOWL and yours ain't :p WHO DEY? WHO DEY?

Eclipse
11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
What?!?!? Eclipse, me and you are about to fight. :mad: :p

How you gon' get on GC and trip like this? :D You drove 8 hours--you wuz obviously TIRED, too tired to enjoy what you ate. Now, if your palate wasn't sophisticated enough to handle the delicacy that is Skyline Chili, then say that; but to come on here and just slam Skyline, like you Emeril's play cousin or somebody -- nah, I can't let it go down like that. :D

The only other reason I can figure for all this hating is cause you know that my team is going to the SUPER BOWL and yours ain't :p WHO DEY? WHO DEY?

LOL I knew you was gonna try to brag it and talk about the kitty cats! LOL Don't sleep on them Birds though! :D

Actually, we didn't get the chili for a day or so AFTER we got to Cinci, so I was well rested.

Question for ya....what possessed someone to put cocoa power in Chili????

AKA2D, Skyline tastes likes Alpo smells!

.....running out of this thread....

DC_Zeta1920
11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Gotta love ladylike's signature

Tony I am familiar with the racial strife/riots of Cincy. When I lived there (briefly in the beginning of 1998), there were instances of violence involving police officers. One incident ocurred near where I lived (I lived in Mt. Auburn). A friend of mine was even stopped for jaywalking and the police officer searched his mouth for gold teeth. I even had a teacher who was a bit suspect. Now mind you, I hail from liberal Washington, DC and things like these are virtually unheard of. Jaywalking is a part of life here and the police don't care :D Honestly, I didn't like it there but I did love the food very much. Oh how I would love to have Skyline and all those other places I mentioned again. I hope Mallory does make a difference in the city.

I never really felt safe in Over the Rhine :(

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
LOL I knew you was gonna try to brag it and talk about the kitty cats! LOL Don't sleep on them Birds though! :D

Actually, we didn't get the chili for a day or so AFTER we got to Cinci, so I was well rested.

Question for ya....what possessed someone to put cocoa power in Chili????

AKA2D, Skyline tastes likes Alpo smells!

.....running out of this thread....
E, I really don't know what all they put in it. It really ain't on the plate all that long, if you feel me. :D

AKA2D, she lyin' (and need to be runnin'). See, I visit Atlanta and hit Sylvia's, I have nothing but good things to say -- good food, nice atmosphere. And I get this in return. tsk, tsk....

...and believe me, the falcons don't want no parts of them Bengals. N-O-N-E!

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Gotta love ladylike's signature

Tony I am familiar with the racial strife/riots of Cincy. When I lived there (briefly in the beginning of 1998), there were instances of violence involving police officers. One incident ocurred near where I lived (I lived in Mt. Auburn). A friend of mine was even stopped for jaywalking and the police officer searched his mouth for gold teeth. I even had a teacher who was a bit suspect. Now mind you, I hail from liberal Washington, DC and things like these are virtually unheard of. Jaywalking is a part of life here and the police don't care :D Honestly, I didn't like it there but I did love the food very much. Oh how I would love to have Skyline and all those other places I mentioned again. I hope Mallory does make a difference in the city.

I never really felt safe in Over the Rhine :(

The police department has had more than a reasonable share of "questionable" incidents, IMO (and I have friends on the force there). Law enforcement is not easy and generally, I always give police the benefit of the doubt. But not that department; there just have been too many incidents.

Mt. Auburn, huh? you were out there where the ballers roam .... :)

DC_Zeta1920
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
There have definitely been many incidents and when I found out about the riot in 2001 after that 19 year old was shot (over a traffic violation though)I wasn't surprised. But what I found baffling was they rioted Over the Rhine when that section of the city is already messed up.

Ballers lived in Mt. Auburn? I mean it just seemed like a regular middle class neighborhood to me. I think it was Auburn Ave. where I stayed not too far away from U of Cincy. I used to walk to school everyday (those hills killed me for a while).

Eclipse
11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
. See, I visit Atlanta and hit Sylvia's, I have nothing but good things to say -- good food, nice atmosphere. And I get this in return. tsk, tsk....

...and believe me, the falcons don't want no parts of them Bengals. N-O-N-E!

See, that shows how much you know Tony. :p Sylvia's is a northern transplant to GA and is CLOSED. She failed because no REAL southerner wanted to eat that sweet jiffy mix that she tried to pass off as cornbread. Even Gladys & Ron's Chicken is better than that! If you want some *real* soul food I will take you to Pascal's, Thelma's kitchen, or The Beautiful. If you want some good 'que, JJ's Rib Shack is where's it's at!

You disappoint me Tony, don't know nuffin about chili, don't no nuffin about soul food and with that last statement, don't kno nuffin about FOOTBALL !:p ;)

But Imma leave it alone now, because this is thread is in celebration of your wonderful new mayor! :D

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
See, that shows how much you know Tony. :p Sylvia's is a northern transplant to GA and is CLOSED. She failed because no REAL southerner wanted to eat that sweet jiffy mix that she tried to pass off as cornbread. Even Gladys & Ron's Chicken is better than that! If you want some *real* soul food I will take you to Pascal's, Thelma's kitchen, or The Beautiful. If you want some good 'que, JJ's Rib Shack is where's it's at!

You disappoint me Tony, don't know nuffin about chili, don't no nuffin about soul food and with that last statement, don't kno nuffin about FOOTBALL !:p ;)

But Imma leave it alone now, because this is thread is in celebration of your wonderful new mayor! :D

Apparently I need to send the mayor a memo about keeping haters from the ATL out of the city :p But that's cool. I know you under stress having to watch your husband's team just "wreck shop" all over the NFL this year on the way to our title.

...pour out a little sweet tea for Sylvia's. that was good food. :(

hopefully, I'll get to the ATL next summer-- then we'll see if yalls restaurants can back up all your holla.

TonyB06
11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
There have definitely been many incidents and when I found out about the riot in 2001 after that 19 year old was shot (over a traffic violation though)I wasn't surprised. But what I found baffling was they rioted Over the Rhine when that section of the city is already messed up.

that's not unique to Cincy however. People in depressed areas are usually the ones who feel most disconnected from the "American Dream," and are usually the quickest to tear up stuff--even if it's their own neighborhoods.

AKA2D '91
11-30-2005, 08:42 PM
How did it get the name skyline? :confused:

chili and crackers....YES!
chili,cheese, and fritos...YES!
chili and spaghetti... I'on kno bout dat! :confused: :D

DC_Zeta1920
11-30-2005, 09:47 PM
AKA2D, chili and spaghetti is GOOT

How it got that name I don't know. But I know one thing, I just got on Skyline's site (to see how), clicked order online and I can get Skyline Chili and LaRosa's mailed to me though I'd have to make it. All I would need is a loaf of Butternut bread mailed to me and it would be a WRAP!

Rain Man
11-30-2005, 11:51 PM

chili and crackers....YES!
chili,cheese, and fritos...YES!
chili and spaghetti... I'on kno bout dat! :confused: :D

Skyline got its name based on its origins in Cincinnati and its pictureesque skyline on the banks of the Ohio River. Such TV shows as WKRP and Edge of Night capitalized on this scenic skyline in its opening and closing credits.

In my family, when I was a kid, we always ate chili with spagetti in it. Not poured over spaghetti, but with spaghetti mixed in the chili. Up until the time I was 10, I thought that chili wasn't chili unless it had spaghetti in it. Just this week, I asked my mother why she always put spaghetti in her chili. She said it was because we were poor and the spaghetti filled us up.

And to Eclipse who is up in here slamming on Skyline AND Gold Star Chili, I got one word for you:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :p

Skyline and Gold Star chilies is "the shnizzle"

TonyB06
12-01-2005, 07:37 AM
AKA2D, chili and spaghetti is GOOT

How it got that name I don't know. But I know one thing, I just got on Skyline's site (to see how), clicked order online and I can get Skyline Chili and LaRosa's mailed to me though I'd have to make it. All I would need is a loaf of Butternut bread mailed to me and it would be a WRAP!

DC, we are --->here<---all day long. If they can't handle Skyline, I know they ain't ready for LaRosa's Pizza. :) I'd likely be 300 lbs if I still lived in Cincy.

AKA2D'91, I may have to send a "Skyline" care package down your way @ Christmas, so a sista can know what good eatin' is.

AKA2D '91
12-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah. Do that. :rolleyes: I'm still trying to picture it in my mind. I guess it's like meat sauce and spaghetti, but it's brown. :confused:

I see RM. Many peeps ate beans and weenies in the same fashion.

I'm sorry. I can't relate to that.

ladylike
12-01-2005, 08:26 AM
@DCZeta: girl did you say LaRosa's?!?!?!?!

That pizza is some GOOOD EATIN'!!! When I lived in Cincinnati that is about all I lived off of: Skyline and LaRosa's. When I discovered there was a Skyline right around the corner from me it. was. on. :eek: :D

@AKA2D: What is this fritos and chilli madness you speak of?

:p :eek: Chilli and fritos? ((faint))

@TonyB: I've heard that there is either coco powder or chocolate mixed into the chilli along with either cinnamon or allspice. Whatever it is, it's good. ((stomach rumble)) I might have to get me a coney or two (or four) for lunch. :o :p

When I lived in Cinti. I took the bus in to work downtown (it was a 10 min. ride) and going through Over the Rhine was something. :eek: I felt like asking the driver if he could lock the doors on the bus every time we rolled through that area. I miss having lunch with friends in the summer time on (I think it's called) Fountain Lane or is it Fountain Square?

DC_Zeta1920
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I feel a road trip coming on :D

While I was there, La Rosa's Skyline, BW3s, and Kielbasa (sp?) was my staple. Periodically White Castle burgers.

Ladylike, If I recall, its Fountain Square.

Its funny, last night I found pics of me (only 15 at the time) on top of the Carew Tower and the other at Fountain Square from Thanksgiving 1996.

AKA2D '91
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Ladylike: Fritos and chilli (chilli pie) is something you would pick up at fairs, carnivals, basketball games.

Cook your chilli, add plain fritos, grated cheese, and jalepenos(optional) and eat! :D

Do you all have chilli cheese fritos by frito lay in your area? It must be a southern thing.

Eclipse
12-01-2005, 04:41 PM

hopefully, I'll get to the ATL next summer-- then we'll see if yalls restaurants can back up all your holla.

Great! I can't wait to show you some real food!!

Eclipse
12-01-2005, 04:43 PM

'Cause after you taste it you look up to the sky and say "Why Lord, why???" LOL

OK Tony and Rainman, I'm done!

Rain Man
12-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by ladylike
@DCZeta: girl did you say LaRosa's?!?!?!?!

@TonyB: I've heard that there is either coco powder or chocolate mixed into the chilli along with either cinnamon or allspice. Whatever it is, it's good. ((stomach rumble)) I might have to get me a coney or two (or four) for lunch. :o :p

FOUR coneys? OMG!

FOUR coneys?

Remind me not to light a match around you after you had your four coneys.

'Cause I can pretty safely surmise what what you would be doing would not do your screenname justice :p :D

TonyB06
12-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I feel a road trip coming on :D

While I was there, La Rosa's Skyline, BW3s, and Kielbasa (sp?) was my staple. Periodically White Castle burgers.

Ladylike, If I recall, its Fountain Square.

Its funny, last night I found pics of me (only 15 at the time) on top of the Carew Tower and the other at Fountain Square from Thanksgiving 1996.

I feel yall on the roadtrip. :D We can meet at the Skyline's at Clifton/Vine? (the one near UC's campus) and get out slam ON!!...then later we can wreck the kitchen at LaRosa's, and hit BW3s and White Castles.

(see yall are going to have me trouble for trying to bring a LaRosa's pizza in my mama's house on Christmas Day. :) )

...you're right, DC. it is called Fountain Square.

DC_Zeta1920
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I feel yall on the roadtrip. :D We can meet at the Skyline's at Clifton/Vine? (the one near UC's campus) and get out slam ON!!...then later we can wreck the kitchen at LaRosa's, and hit BW3s and White Castles.

(see yall are going to have me trouble for trying to bring a LaRosa's pizza in my mama's house on Christmas Day. :) )

...you're right, DC. it is called Fountain Square.

WOW I'll come home 10 pounds heavier but it would be well worth it. This could be a prime location for a GC M&G

I loved Clifton. I used to go play pool up there.

blackbird
12-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Theodore Berry (Alpha) was the first AfAm mayor of Cincinnati.

blackbird que

RedVelvet
12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I thnk Mr. Mallory is the first directly elected black mayor of Cincinnati.

What no Izzy's?

TonyB06
12-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by blackbird
Theodore Berry (Alpha) was the first AfAm mayor of Cincinnati.

blackbird que

...dayum, you're right. How did I forget this?

Stokley06
03-14-2009, 03:20 AM
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that Cincinnati's first African American mayor was Bro. Theodore M. Berry Alpha Phi Alpha. It's important to be as historically accurate as can be documented, so if other information to the contrary exists, please correct this reply.