PDA

View Full Version : "Sorority Member" in National Magazine?

exlurker
09-23-2005, 02:36 PM
A University of Virginia student appears in the current issue of national magazine. Media reports indicate that she is a “sorority member.” The sorority is not mentioned in reports I’ve seen, but that's only a couple of stories with pretty scanty coverage. I don’t know if it’s a national, a social sorority, honorary, or what. Feel free to discuss among yourselves.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--missoctober0923sep23,0,6061761.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

Excerpt:

The dean's list student and sorority member plans to attend law school in a few years, but in the meantime, she's promoting the magazine across the nation.

Rudey
09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by exlurker
A University of Virginia student appears in the current issue of national magazine. Media reports indicate that she is a “sorority member.” The sorority is not mentioned in reports I’ve seen, but that's only a couple of stories with pretty scanty coverage. I don’t know if it’s a national, a social sorority, honorary, or what. Feel free to discuss among yourselves.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--missoctober0923sep23,0,6061761.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

Excerpt:

The dean's list student and sorority member plans to attend law school in a few years, but in the meantime, she's promoting the magazine across the nation.

http://readthehook.com/stories/2005/09/17/newsPaigesPagesCavIsiplayb.html

Well "she plans to devote herself to her studies and her sorority, Delta Gamma". She's hot and intelligent. Very nice.

http://readthehook.com/images/issues/2005/0437/hotseat-paige.jpg

-Rudey

exlurker
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Rudey.

James
09-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh damn. I hope DG doesn't shaft her over it.

DeltAlum
09-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Famous lies:

"I only buy it to read the interviews."

valkyrie
09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Good for her!

DeltAlum
09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by valkyrie
Good for her!
Oh, yeah.

That too!

Tom Earp
09-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I hope the Puritianism doesnt hurt Her.

What The heck.

OOPS Thou Shalt Not Show The Human Body, God Will Stike You dead.:rolleyes:

Maybe, Just Maybe, $25,000 will Help Her finish Her Degree and go on to bigger and better things!:)

James
09-23-2005, 04:26 PM
You know . . if all Delta Gammas are in that basic range of looks . . thats a pretty good looking sorority.

If I recall correctly they are over represented in the barbie thread also.

Deans list too . . smart, good looking, and probably has a great personality . .. way to go DG.

Rudey
09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by James
You know . . if all Delta Gammas are in that basic range of looks . . thats a pretty good looking sorority.

If I recall correctly they are over represented in the barbie thread also.

Deans list too . . smart, good looking, and probably has a great personality . .. way to go DG.

And don't forget that UVA is a pretty solid school to begin with.

Listen, I am perfectly willing to date this girl. She sounds wonderful.

-Rudey

Tom Earp
09-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Rudey, Main, You will date any thing with Boobies with Blond Hair!;)

Dont ever Lie Man!:D

Rudey
09-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp

It's true.

-Rudey

valkyrie
09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
You know . . if all Delta Gammas are in that basic range of looks . .

That makes about as much sense as saying "If all Lambda Chis post such idiotic things on the internet..."

DeltAlum
09-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Rudey and Tom agree on something! It's a miracle!

Tom Earp
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
That makes about as much sense as saying "If all Lambda Chis post such idiotic things on the internet..."

Say What?:rolleyes:

Rudey, I think We Were Insulted?

valkyrie, Trying to figure out What You attempt at EARPSPEAK was All About?:D

WVU alpha phi
09-23-2005, 05:09 PM
My friend goes to University of Maryland and knows a girl who posed for one of Playboy's college issues. She was terminated from her sorority- not sure which one it was though.

valkyrie
09-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Say What?:rolleyes:

Rudey, I think We Were Insulted?

valkyrie, Trying to figure out What You attempt at EARPSPEAK was All About?:D

Tom, my point was that all generalizations, including this one, are inaccurate, and that generalizing an entire organization based on characteristics of one person is ridiculous.

DeltAlum
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Tom, my point was that all generalizations, including this one, are inaccurate, and that generalizing an entire organization based on characteristics of one person is ridiculous.
I think James was having a fantasy, not making a generalization.

BobbyTheDon
09-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by WVU alpha phi
My friend goes to University of Maryland and knows a girl who posed for one of Playboy's college issues. She was terminated from her sorority- not sure which one it was though.

Why must one be so cruel? :(

kddani
09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
She looks like a cross between Tara Reid and Ali Larter

valkyrie
09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I think James was having a fantasy, not making a generalization.

LOL, ew.

I think it's über-lame to terminate somebody's sorority membership for something like appearing in Playboy.

axidgl
09-23-2005, 07:10 PM
What about for being pregnant? It's been done before....and it's all a part of LIFE.

BobbyTheDon
09-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by axidgl
What about for being pregnant? It's been done before....and it's all a part of LIFE.

whoa, some girls have gotten dumped for getting pregnant? And when I mean dumped, I mean by a sorority not by the babies daddy.

PoohsHoneyBee
09-23-2005, 07:37 PM
has anyone seen the show the girls next door, it's pretty interesting living with three girlfriends... my favorite girlfriend is kendra, cause she likes baseball

PhoenixAzul
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Famous lies:

"I only buy it to read the interviews."

Actually, as a journalism major, we're encouraged to read their Q and A articles as they are considered the best Q A interviews published.

DeltAlum
09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Actually, as a journalism major, we're encouraged to read their Q and A articles as they are considered the best Q A interviews published.
That's absolutely true -- really outstanding. But try convincing your mother/girlfriend/sister/wife that when you're 18.

They really are great interviews, though.

James
09-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe.

But as far as generalizations go, viewing Delta Gamma's place in the sorority hierarchy as a predominantly vivacious, intellegent and extremely good looking group . . . just doesn't seem as bad as thinking Lambda Chis post idiotic things on the net . . .

You have to admit there are a lot of good looking DGs represented on Greekchat.

KillarneyRose
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by WVU alpha phi

That happened with one of our pledges in the Girls of the Big East issue. She was terminated also.

Really though, the way she posed you could only see about 1/2 of one of her breasts and she wasn't well endowed to begin with. So I didn't really understand what the fuss was about.

AchtungBaby80
09-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
That happened with one of our pledges in the Girls of the Big East issue. She was terminated also.

Really though, the way she posed you could only see about 1/2 of one of her breasts and she wasn't well endowed to begin with. So I didn't really understand what the fuss was about.

Sort of same thing with my chapter, although I don't know if the girl ever went through with it or not as she dropped out pretty soon after that. She was picked to be in the "Girls of the SEC" thing, but Exec told her that if she did it, she could pretty much kiss her membership goodbye. Funny thing, I thought this particular girl was an odd choice for Playboy--she was pretty average-looking and didn't have big boobs--but maybe they were going for diversity?

sugar and spice
09-25-2005, 03:34 AM
Maybe.

But as far as generalizations go, viewing Delta Gamma's place in the sorority hierarchy as a predominantly vivacious, intellegent and extremely good looking group . . . just doesn't seem as bad as thinking Lambda Chis post idiotic things on the net . . .

You have to admit there are a lot of good looking DGs represented on Greekchat.

Only if you count DGQueen.

Okay, I'm going to hell.

Tom Earp
09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
It is a shame that a very atractive Women of a sorority has a picture posted in a National Magazine and is booted from said soro.:(

When I read things like this, I think back to the pictures of Founders who may look prune faced and wear period clothing that everyone goes EWWWW about. I guess that many of the mentalities havent changed in @ 100 years.:confused:

It just seems that there should be more important prioritys seen to than something like this. I mean "IF" some Women see this and dont think they dont, will say wow, that is a pretty girl in so and so sorority. I think I am interested in joining not to show Her Boobs but to be part of something.

I agree, the many articles, Q and As have a much more meaningful impact than just looking at Naked Bodies. The scenery may be nice, but there is more to these magazines than pictures.

wrigley
09-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Tom what if was discovered that a current collegiate member of your fraternity has posed for a spread in a issue of Playgirl? And the letters of Lamba Chi Alpha are listed in print. Are you going to be as sympathetic?

valkyrie
09-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sugar and spice

Okay, I'm going to hell.

HAHAHAHAHHA. I can't say that I know what many GC DGs look like. I don't really keep track of such things.

PhoenixAzul
09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I guess my question to chapters that booted a girl who posed naked....would you boot your art majors who do naked self portraits?

Tom Earp
09-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by wrigley
Tom what if was discovered that a current collegiate member of your fraternity has posed for a spread in a issue of Playgirl? And the letters of Lamba Chi Alpha are listed in print. Are you going to be as sympathetic?

Why Not?:)

If The Brother is a Stud why not!!! They must have thought that SHe was a Pretty Lady and if a Good Looking LXA was pictured I say so the better. Hell, it gives Young Men something to hook onto. Hey, I want to be a Member and be in the same studnis!

I doubt that they would want a Picture of some NON STUD Like Me. I aint even a PC Nerd!

So Kenney Chesney Married Renee whats Her name and then it was annuled and A lot of accusations were thrown about. That doesnt make Him any less a Member does it?

I would much rather like to see something like this than about a Chapter getting booted for stupidity in Hazing.

Rudey
09-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Only girls would find a way of taking a compliment and twisting it into something negative.

The girl is beautiful and she's in a great sorority. That's all.

-Rudey

Tom Earp
09-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Rudey
Only girls would find a way of taking a compliment and twisting it into something negative.

-Rudey

Rudey, Very Well Stated!:cool:

DifferentDances
09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't know...would there be pressure from national HQ's to terminate a Playboy poser's membership? Or would that be largely an individual chapter's initiative? I suppose it feeds into the shocking!sorority girl stereotype and is understandably frowned upon, but that really doesn't make much sense to me. (Neither does terminating membership for pregnancy, though I can understand pushing for early alum status --family takes priority over sorority, after all.)

Either way, I think it's sad to terminate a sister from membership for comforming with society's standards for beauty and glam, and for listening to the media's portrayal of what success is. I mean, Girls Next Door certainly makes being one of three girlfriends to an old man seem fun and exciting. (I'd be personally concerned about his heart giving out during the, er, fun and excitement, but that's just me.)

And really, it must be a great confidence-booster to have a magazine that standardizes the median of desire across the nation tell you you're hot enough to be paid for posing in pictures.

Oh, society. What contradictory messages you bestow.

honeychile
09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I would assume that most NPC sororities has a "morals clause" in whatever it is that you sign as a member. How that clause is interpreted may vary greatly.

I can remember our New Member Educator saying that, before you pose for ANY photo that will include a mention that you are in a sorority, you should think of (our local founder) and how she would react, if she were to see or hear of it. I always took that to mean that a photo of some of the sorority members at Ronald McDonald's House would be good, a photo in Playboy or any other skin magazine, not so good. Anything else I could say about it would involve ritual.

And yes, I read the occasional Playboy, and will go as far as to say, not only for the articles, but the interviews (and jokes!), too.

sigmadiva
09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I guess my question to chapters that booted a girl who posed naked....would you boot your art majors who do naked self portraits?

It's all about context.

One thing I try to remember is that 'my' letters are not 'mine'. If I wanted to do something in the "name" of SigmaDiva, that is fine. I am representing me. But, if I want to do something using in some form the name of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., then I am representing about 80,000 other women too. All of my sorors (sisters) may not share the same feelings / attitudes about a subject that I might have, and I have to respect that.

DifferentDances
09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by sigmadiva
It's all about context.

One thing I try to remember is that 'my' letters are not 'mine'. If I wanted to do something in the "name" of SigmaDiva, that is fine. I am representing me. But, if I want to do something using in some form the name of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., then I am representing about 80,000 other women too. All of my sorors (sisters) may not share the same feelings / attitudes about a subject that I might have, and I have to respect that.

This is certainly true. However, where does the line get drawn? You have your own feelings and attitudes, and your sorority sisters should respect that as well. Agree to disagree, as it were. (True in politics, religion, morals, etc.)

So if a young woman decides that she's proud of her body and would appreciate the income for posing in a skin zine, she should be allowed by her sisters to do so regardless of their own views on the morality of the matter, preferably without mentioning her letters, right? (I'm just thinking out loud here) But what happens when the chapter is actually fairly liberal and is proud to share in the young lady's glam and fame? Is she allowed to represent and acknowledge the sisters in her chapter by mentioning her letters?

Though I suppose then the hypothetical woman would be indeed representing a far larger body than is immediately relevant to her.

I don't know. On the one hand I want to protect everyone's right to be individual and express themselves, but on the other I do think ramifications to reputations should be considered.

sigmadiva
09-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by DifferentDances
This is certainly true. However, where does the line get drawn? You have your own feelings and attitudes, and your sorority sisters should respect that as well. Agree to disagree, as it were. (True in politics, religion, morals, etc.)

So if a young woman decides that she's proud of her body and would appreciate the income for posing in a skin zine, she should be allowed by her sisters to do so regardless of their own views on the morality of the matter, preferably without mentioning her letters, right? (I'm just thinking out loud here) But what happens when the chapter is actually fairly liberal and is proud to share in the young lady's glam and fame? Is she allowed to represent and acknowledge the sisters in her chapter by mentioning her letters?

Though I suppose then the hypothetical woman would be indeed representing a far larger body than is immediately relevant to her.

I don't know. On the one hand I want to protect everyone's right to be individual and express themselves, but on the other I do think ramifications to reputations should be considered.

I see your point. It may just boil down to whatever the membership will tolerate. But, if it is majority rules, and the majority do / do not want to tolerate 'it', then the final decision should rest with that.

James
09-26-2005, 02:28 AM
Its my understanding that the national usuauly strongly suggests that the sorority chapter vote to expell the girl. And that the sheep on the exec board and the sheep in the chapter go along with it.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/images/60x60/sheep.gif

Girls!

UKDaisy
09-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Rudey

-Rudey

I agree. If a girl in my sorority posed I'd be like "he** yea! that's my sorority sister".

KillarneyRose
09-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by honeychile
I'm going out on a limb here, but I would assume that most NPC sororities has a "morals clause" in whatever it is that you sign as a member. How that clause is interpreted may vary greatly.

Yes, I think it's a catchall phrase. Kind of like the military's "conduct unbecoming to an officer." It just covers the butts of the powers that be so if someone does something they don't like they can give them the boot.

Only if you count DG Queen

Well, whichever DG she pretended to be was really pretty.

AchtungBaby80
09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about terminating a girl's membership because she posed for a magazine, but I do feel that her affiliation should not be mentioned in the publication. I feel like if I were going to pose for Playboy, for example, I would not want to be identified as a Delta Zeta out of respect for all the other DZ's out there who might be offended by it.

AOIIBrandi
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I read the article last night. According to it she had already been featured in the magazine's "Girl's of the ACC" last year, so if the sorority has not yet termintated her membership for that then I don't think they would (granted I am not a DG and cannot speak for them). I also did not see mention of DG specifically in this month's article (and I thought I looked for it pretty carefully), but I could have missed it.

dukedg
09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
When I was at Duke we had a DG who posed for Playboy ACC Edition. We were told it was up to our chaper whether to take any action (expulsion as one option). We did nothing and no one one the international level seemed to mind. As far as I know, there was no one in our chapter who was offended or even thought of taking any action until our advisers mentioned it was an option.

I was in college at the time though, so maybe there were talks that went on at the higher levels that were never conveyed to us.

Lil' Hannah
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM

Okay, I'm going to hell.

:(

Tom Earp
09-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by dukedg
When I was at Duke we had a DG who posed for Playboy ACC Edition. We were told it was up to our chaper whether to take any action (expulsion as one option). We did nothing and no one one the international level seemed to mind. As far as I know, there was no one in our chapter who was offended or even thought of taking any action until our advisers mentioned it was an option.

I was in college at the time though, so maybe there were talks that went on at the higher levels that were never conveyed to us.

So, congratulations to some sanity instead of having panty hose in a wad!

Get real people, this is not a gut wrenching problem for a Member showing Her Body.

How many of You wished You had that Body?

This is a shit storm that can make a group look like Hippocrits!

SAD, SAD, sad!

irishpipes
09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Maybe, Just Maybe, $25,000 will Help Her finish Her Degree and go on to bigger and better things!

Or maybe the $25,000 will help her to GET bigger and better "things". (If you know what I mean...) ;)

OK, now I am going to hell.

By the way, that was a joke. She is very pretty.

GeekyPenguin
09-27-2005, 06:30 PM
So, congratulations to some sanity instead of having panty hose in a wad!

Get real people, this is not a gut wrenching problem for a Member showing Her Body.

How many of You wished You had that Body?

This is a shit storm that can make a group look like Hippocrits!

SAD, SAD, sad!

I wish you had her intellect.

UKDaisy
09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
ouch

James
09-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Maybe Delta Gammas are just generally attractive enough that the National was like . . well these things are bound to happen?

Anyway, I am glad your sorority didn't choose to victimize that girl . . unlike some what some sororities have done. Little hypocrites.

Originally posted by dukedg

dgdramadawg
09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Maybe Delta Gammas are just generally attractive enough that the National was like . . well these things are bound to happen?

:)

I'm thrilled to know that one of my DG sisters is successful in her modeling career. Plus, I'm thrilled to know that she's hot and thus makes the entire sorority look attractive on the national level. ;) I'd be surprised if anyone from Exec said anything, unless she posed in a thong with her letters on it or something specifically using the letters. The only DG who's gonna complain about this girl is Anne Coulter.

I always find it funny when chapters of any sort fuss about a member choosing to pose nude or do something scandalous. I mean, if an already-famous alum decided to pose nude, I don't think any sorority would revoke her membership... they don't want to lose that famous alum's name recognition.

valkyrie
09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
And that the sheep on the exec board and the sheep in the chapter go along with it.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/images/60x60/sheep.gif

Girls!

Little hypocrites.

Dude, maybe if you stopped the name calling, people would be interested in your opinion.

kddani
09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
If You only Wish!:(

OOPs. I thought You Ment Mine!:rolleyes:

The world would be a very scary place if we all had your intellect.:rolleyes:

Tom Earp
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I tried to delete that post.

But in Your case, I wont. Why wont you bite a big Pisburg Sausauge and become a real Lawyer instead of a Snarky and run people off of GC?

God, You are---- and scarry person.

Hey, go ride in a COP Car and see what being a leagal really is or do You just do safe and sorry Litigations in Your internship?

You are boring.

Why dont you put Your Snarky Shi- on world wide I am Kewel!

My Intellect, Well Sweet Cakes X-Rated You have not a clue to real world of living. Wait till You get it stuffed where the sun dont shine. Be a semi-lawyer in Internship and let them put you on the gridle if You think You have the Stones. You aint nada. You are going to have to learn to make Your Bones. you are probaly a Pencil Pusher trying to lean Law! Oh, In The Real Damn World, Not Your little College!

kddani
09-28-2005, 07:10 PM

But in Your case, I wont. Why wont you bite a big Pisburg Sausauge and become a real Lawyer instead of a Snarky and run people off of GC?

Hey, go ride in a COP Car and see what being a leagal really is or do You just do safe and sorry Litigations in Your internship?

You are boring.

My Intellect, Well Sweet Cakes X-Rated You have not a clue to real world of living. Wait till You get it stuffed where the sun dont shine. Be a semi-lawyer in Internship and let them put you on the gridle if You think You have the Stones. You aint nada. You are going to have to learn to make Your Bones. you are probaly a Pencil Pusher trying to lean Law! Oh, In The Real Damn World, Not Your little College!

Yawn.

_Q_
09-28-2005, 07:11 PM

You are boring.

Your stream-of-consciousness writing style reminds me a little of "Finnegan's Wake," if you sort of ignore all the grammar and spelling.

kddani
09-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by _Q_
Your stream-of-consciousness writing style reminds me a little of "Finnegan's Wake," if you sort of ignore all the grammar and spelling.

Appropriately enough, Finnegan's Wake is a bar in Pittsburgh. lol

edited to fix typo

GeekyPenguin
09-28-2005, 08:19 PM

You are boring.

DEAR TOM EARP,

TAKE THE LSAT.

GET ADMITTED TO LAW SCHOOL.

UNTIL YOU DO THOSE, STFU ABOUT BEING A LAWYER AND GO RUN YOUR CANCER SHOP.

<3,
GP

And to keep this on topic, I don't see anything wrong with what this girl did. It's not like she was getting sexual with an anchor or something.

dgdramadawg
09-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
And to keep this on topic, I don't see anything wrong with what this girl did. It's not like she was getting sexual with an anchor or something.

I was just laughing on the phone with another DG about that... or the idea of her dressed up in a sexy Raggedy Ann outfit!

CarolinaDG
09-28-2005, 09:12 PM
USC had a couple of Alpha Chi's who posed in the college edition. They were disaffiliated before, though (not related, I don't think). I saw the picture... and as I recall, they weren't even topless. But this was my freshman year, so I don't remember exactly... Anyway, point being, what if she's not naked? Does that make a difference?

I dunno, I'm the one trying to figure out whether or not I'm actually going to go through with the Miss SC pageant because I'd have to walk across stage in a bikini, so I'm probably one of the more conservative on this topic... Still, I think as long as she's not posing with the letters or something, it's up to the discretion of her chapter.

(PS-DGQueen was someone posing to be a DG... so DG's don't freak out like I did... I was a little personally insulted as well)

James
09-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't think I called anyone a name except the abstract people that kicked out their sorority sister for posing in playboy.

I am not sure thats "name calling" or insulting in the way Tom Earp and his critics routinely are.

Dude, maybe if you stopped the name calling, people would be interested in your opinion.

UKDaisy
09-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Speaking of James' calling people names. I like it when he calls me Miss Kitty Doo Wop.

Oh wait... we're talking about something else. My bad. ;)