PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment et.al.

lyrelyre
10-22-2001, 12:31 AM
Hi
I am looking for ideas for a rush skit, I am trying to help outthe rush chair. We have had three different skits in the last four years. We would like to find a skit and stick with it, that way we could improve it each year. We need something awesome because our campus's productions are nearly Broadway worthy. We are a bit limited because there are 10 other NPC GLOs on campus and no one can even have a song in common. If somebody had a script that would be great. We have the scripts to the three we have done. We could possibly update those. They are 1) a cowboy/western skit, 2) a wedding skit, and 3) Alice In Alpha Chi Land. They were all really cute and effective but we would like something very polished and professional looking.

Thanks

aggieAXO
10-22-2001, 01:18 AM
Hi, though I am no longer in college, the skit I liked the most was Grease-can y'all do this or are there other sororities performing this skit? Have you seen it-it is soooooo cute and
the rushess loved it. When we first were learning the skit we had a video but I am not sure how we got it-maybe nationals has one? I went to Texas A&M and maybe they have a video that you can have.

K

lyrelyre
10-22-2001, 02:37 PM
Thanks for responding. There is already a chapter on campus that does Grease. They have done it for at least ten years so I doubt they will stop any time soon. The other skits that are already used on our campus are:

a take off on the Grammys
a take off on Planet Holleywood
a take off on Hard Rock Cafe
Grease
Annie
Wizard of Oz
Bye Bye Birdie
the remaining 4 houses don't do the same skit every year.

just a side note: my GLO did Annie the year I went through rush and now another house does it-I don't know why we did not stick with it b/c it was cute.

aggieAXO
10-22-2001, 10:34 PM
I remember reading in one of the Lyre magazines about a "Vogue" skit, I think it was UT Arlington but not positive, maybe you can call nationals and ask them. Meanwhile I will look in the magazines to see if I can find it. Not sure if it is good but sounds like no one else on your campus does it.

Ok I found it-it is in the summer 1999 Lyre-the chapter was Massachusetts and apparently they won panhellenic awards for this skit-give them a call I bet they will help you out. I think the skit sounds cute and original.

Let me know what happens-

Karen

AlphaChiS2K
10-23-2001, 02:19 PM
We have 2 awesome skits that we use- the first is "Get Wild with AXO." Everyone wears our jungle letters (zebra, leopard, snakeskin) and there's jungle decorations everywhere. Then we do a great dance to Tone Loc's "Wild Thang," and change the words to fit AXO (I don't remember them all but I could get them if you want). One of our sisters took some hip-hop classes and she created the HOTTEST dance to the song, it's so funky and fun and gets the girls PUMPED, since we're so into it.

Out Theme skit is "Little Shop of Sorors," starring Rhonda Rushee going through rush- she's bombarded with sorority girls saying "Hiwhatsyournamewhatsyourmajorwhereareyoufromwantso mepunch?" Then she goes to Alpha Chi and finds it so different- seniors are in the background in feather boas as the "doo-wop" girls, singing "Little shop, little shop of sorors, Alpha Chi, alpha chi's the answer" and the rest of the songs. It's like a Broadway show, it's soooo great. I'm sure I can get some more detailed info if you want :)

aggieAXO
10-24-2001, 05:51 AM
Oh AlphachiS2K the little shop of sorors skit sounds so cute!!!

AlphaChiGirl
10-24-2001, 10:18 AM
My chapter does not do skits, but we're close to UMass and from what they tell us, they have kickin' skits.

Oh, I wish I had gone to a school with a real Greek system...:rolleyes:

lyrelyre
10-29-2001, 12:23 AM
I am still in the process of looking for skit ideas. I called Mass. and I am waiting for their skits. They do a Charlie's Angels skit and their old skit is Vogue. I also had an idea that I wanted to run by everyone.

I thought maybe a take off on Cinderella. Cinderella would be a PNM, her fairy godmother would be a PX, and I'm not sure about the step-mother and -sisters. Instead of going to a ball she could be going through recruitment and accidently leave her shoe at the AXO house. We would be looking for her and she would be looking for us.

Is it way too cheesey? I am afraid that since it is a fairy tale it may be to young. I would like some feedback before I pitch it to the chapter.

Thanks

aggieAXO
10-29-2001, 12:27 AM
I like your idea-maybe for a more serious night-does that make since? At my chapter the first couple of days would be high energy skits like grease and then 3 or 4 th day you become more serious with your skits they were more low key-would Cinderella be a more serious skit?-a bonding skit? I am not sure if I am making any sense?

Karen

lyrelyre
10-29-2001, 02:15 AM
That makes total sense. I was just afraid of it being too cheesey. Thanks.

ThetaSigmaAXO
03-15-2002, 09:46 PM
Hey girls, Im a NIS of the Theta Sigma Chapter at UNF, and I hope to be chosen as the philanthropy night chair women. I need some ideas about what we could possibly have potential new members help us make. My rush, we puffy painted patches of felt with inspiring phrases, the patches of felt were sewn together into a type of quilt, and hung in the childrens play room of a local battered womens shelter. I am lost to what we should do next year, I know rush isn't for a few more months, but I want everything to be AWESOME! Please post what you have done in the past few years or any good ideas you might have! LITB

aggieAXO
03-16-2002, 02:46 AM
I am so old that when I went through rush we didn't have Philanthropy night. The most common thing I have heard of is making toiletry bags for the local womens shelter-if anything else comes to mind I will post. Anyone else have any ideas???

AXOmarquette
04-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Hey girls!
A few RUSHES ago, my chapter had a really cute idea. We did a "Friends" nite with coffee in big mugs and a really cute skit that went along with the theme. For the philanthropy, we had the girls paint ceramic mugs. If you joined, then you received the mug as part of your bid day gifts. The extra mugs were filled with treats and donated to a local organization. Hope this helps!

cash78mere
04-20-2002, 11:47 AM
i am copying this from a post i made in june 2000 when i was still a collegian!

During recruitment, we have a philanthropy night where we decorate paper bags with designs and fill them with toiletries that were donated by companies. We also do the "clothesline project" where we decorate paper t-shirts with slogans against domestic violence and hang them in the main commons on a "clothesline" where everyone can read them. We also used to do a presentation/lesson about how to defend ourselves if we are attacked. This isn't meant to be used like a professionally trained person, just some basic moves to protect ourself against an abusive person.

alphachiohmy
11-02-2002, 11:18 AM
OK, to start some conversation here:

Skit nights during recruitment/rush.

What does/did your chapter do? Any funny stories? For anyone that has been through formal recruitment as a PNM or Rho Chi, did you see any other chapter's skit that was just too cute? Anyone gearing up for a formal spring/winter rush skit?

AXO_MOM_3
11-04-2002, 12:12 AM
We have used Grease for the past several years. It is time for it to go, so if anybody has some great skits, send me a copy! Something funny - we had one girl walk out of our party one time, and say "I know I'm going Chi-O now!" We thought it was pretty funny! Most of the skits I've gotten from above seem kind of cheesy! We've had several advisors attend other skits during recruitment - I always felt I had to stay OUR room though, so never got to see any. I heard ADPI Saturday Night Pi was great. We are done with recruitment for now!
Alphachiohmy - answers your own questions!

alphachiohmy
11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
OK OK!

We too did Grease for two years, had all the props and the perfect sister with the blond hair and voice to play Sandy. And the modified songs really stuck in your mind. And then we switched it up to an AXO TV (MTV) theme, which was cute too.

A chapter at my school did a really cure Real World video/skit combo but it really gave PNMs a sense of sisterhood. At the end they showed the outtakes from when they filmed, very funny.

One a rush side note: One of my sisters, during pref preparation, was struck in the head by a falling column and had to be rushed to the hospital with a concussion.

axotiger
11-04-2002, 12:39 PM
This year I could not be part of the skit :( because I was on status.. well still am on status. BUT last yaer (my sophomore year) we did a whole summer beach-y theme. Like a big sis and lil sis (blood sisters) were at the beach, and the big sis is telling the lil sis how cool sororities are, and the lil sis doesnt care about anything 'cept tanning and boys. Then she falls asleep and has dream sequences about sisterhood stuff:
- Friends Night on the hall
- Boones in the Barn (and a group of girls did a dance)
- Our philanthropy dance competition (different girls did a dance)
- Spring Break with Mandy Moore (host) and Brittany Spears signing a song [ that was me!!] It was funny. If y'all wanna see what I changed the words to, just lemme know. We changed the words to Lucky... actually I changed the words. Cause I was informed a week before rush that I was going to be Brittany Spears instead of some other character (my big sis wrote the skit so she was like, hmm stevie will do this..) ANYWAY... I was up on the 'stage' and sang. It was pretty cool
- BiD Day
... and some others, I forget. But it was CUTE
in the end the little sister was like.. hmm i want to go through rush.

aggieAXO
11-09-2002, 03:08 AM
bag in the dark ages we did grease at A&M (not sure about now). I know I read on here that some of the PNM's thought it was weird having girls dressed as guys but the first year we did the Grease skit we had the best return rate the day after than they had for the past several years. Everyone loved it-many of the Rho Chi's talked about how cute it was. Well, times have changed I guess. This year at UT Austin they did a Hollywood/red carpet skit combined with american idol /TRL skit-which was very cute. Two actives protrayed Joan Rivers and Melissa Rivers (they did an outstanding job!). They actual had Carson Daily on videotape -I can't remember exactly what he said something like Good Luck Alpha Chi Omegas at UT Austin........ (I can't remember the rest :(). They had one of the actives protray Brittany Spears (she did very well, I also thought she reasembled Brittany a great deal and had same type of accent), another protrayed Reese Witherspoon's character in Legally Blond (again to the tee!).

axotiger
11-11-2002, 08:39 AM
That sounds pretty cool aggieAXO!! But how'd they get Carson Daily on tape?! That's awesome.

moss52623
01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Hello, I go to the University of Tampa, and last year we added a philanthropy night to recruitment. Since we don't have a house, we used a room on campus, donated clothing, and had the potential new member's go shopping for the children at the local shelter we help. I would like to try something new and different this coming fall, but it is hard to come up with ideas, since the length of the party is about 30 minutes, and we don't have a house. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thank you,
Michele

AXO Sweetheart
01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Well, I'll tell you what I did on Philanthropy Night at the houses I went to during rush. :)

At one house, we made boo boo bunnies. You just need a bunch of washclothes, some googly eyes, ribbon, rubber bands, fuzzy pom poms, and glue. Here they are:

http://www.craftmallusa.com/projects/booboobunny.htm

You stick an ice cube down in the ring the washcloth forms and put it on a kid's "boo boo". :)

At another house, we tie dyed shirts for kids at the children's hospital. This could actually be done outside if you have somewhere to do it. The shirts were soaked in salt water and the dye was in bottles (like condiment bottles). We set the shirts in pans and squirted them, so it's not as messy as it sounds. :) For that, you'd need dye, salt and water, pans, water, latex gloves, shirts, and rubber bands.

At the house I ended up joining, the craft was pretty simple. We decorated bags, and our chapter later filled the bags with toiletries and took them to the domestic violence shelter we do a lot of work with. You'd just need some bags, paint, glitter, etc. That'd probably be the cheapest and quickest.

I don't know if any of those would work for you, but I thought I'd share. :)

AXO_MOM_3
01-08-2003, 01:00 AM
In the past, we have collected toilettries for a local domestic violence shelter and decorated the bags to put them in... we've also stamped notecards...and this past year we collected teddy bears and the girls decorated a ribbon and then tied on the teddy bear. The bears were given out to the police department to give to children when dealing with bad situations (ie. domestic violence, car/house accidents, etc.) We also do a short skit on domestic violence. PM me if you would like to know more about it.
By the way - our parties only last about one half hour too - we spend about 10 minutes on the skit, 10 minutes on the activity and 10 minutes talking to the girls. Again, pm me for more detail.

axoashley
07-06-2003, 05:34 PM
For our philanthropy night last year, we did a craft that was kind of time consuming for the sisters but lots of fun for the PNMs. We had each PNM decorate a tile with tile paint and apliques and then put all of the tiles (groups of like 25 of them) together as table tops. The sisters then make the table out of wood and paint it with a place in the top for the tiles which are then grouted. It is a lot of work but turns out great. We then gave the tables to our local domestic violence shelter to give to the women as they leave. For a lot of them it is their first piece of furniture in their new lives. This craft got WONDERFUL reactions from the PNMs. Good luck!

NovaALphaChI
07-19-2003, 12:21 PM
hey! i'm new to this so i hope it works. i'm from the zeta tau chapter at villanova univ. we dont' have houses either, and our philatrophy round is only 40 mins. we started a new philantrophy round this year and it worked out quite well. we had girls from our chapter donate clothing , we went through it and kept the most presentable items (enough for the PNMs coming through the round). during the round each PNM got to pick a piece of clothing out of our box and then wrapped it and decorated it in tissue paper and ribbon, along with writing a card with a description of the clothing on it and maybe a special message. it made the PNMs feel like they were really contributing to our cause! hope this helps, sincerely, gianna :D

AXWhoah
07-19-2003, 08:25 PM
The whole "shopping" philanthropy has to be approached very carefully. Some places it works and some places it doesn't. We used it this past year and it was a big flop. Our girls didn't like doing it and neither did the PNMs. Not that if it is done in the right way at the right place it can't be fantastic. Just wanted to give you the heads up :)

Littlelopes
06-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Hey AXOs, I am in charge of Bid Day for this upcoming fall quarter. I am all out of ideas for good themes to use. Last year we used a Victoria Secret's Angel theme, and the year before we were firefighters. I want something cute, unique, and original! If you have any ideas of themes or shirts you made in the past feel free to let me know! It would really help me out! Thanks
Lara Lopez AXO- Cal Poly SLO

Xylochick216
06-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Welcome to Greekchat, Lara!

My chapter has had a luau bid day, a Mardi Gras bid day, and a "Home" bid day in the past few years. None of the sayings on our shirts particularly went with the theme, but they were originally thinking of "There's No Place Like Home" for this year. We had also thought about doing a "Cheers" theme with "Where Everybody Knows Your Name", but another chapter used it for a mixer/date party shirt earlier in the semester. My favorite bid day saying that we had was, "This opportunity only comes along once in a lifetime. Sorry You missed it!" If you need any more bid day sayings, there are threads all over GC about it. I would do the search for you, but I have to run. Hope this helps!

ITB, Sharon :)

AXOKatie
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Ohhh, we used the "There's No Place Like Home" last year and had these really cute red sparkly shoes on the front of lavendar shirts with the quote on the back...we also decorated our house with rainbows out front and colored the bricks with yellow chalk and a sign that said "Follow the Yellow Brick Road Home!"

We really wanted to do the "Welcome to Las Vegas" theme last year, but another chapter on our campus wanted to do it...i like the Cheers one that Sharon suggested too :)

mercedess1010
08-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey Everyone,
I'm working on our Philanthropy day for recruitment this year, and I was wondering if anyone had ideas. I would love to hear what other chapters do for the crafts that we do with PNM's and how to make the day interesting for them. Please let me know any ideas so I can pass them on to our chapter! Thanks!

Dena

Theta Pi
University of California, Davis

Xylochick216
08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm from Iota Psi at Elon University. For our philanthropy day, we get clothing racks from department stores and collect clothes from a clothing drive and take the PNMs shopping. They pick out an outfit, either dressy or casual, for a woman at the local shelter for abused women. They also can make a card to stick in the bag with the outfit with a simple inspirational phrase. When they're done, they "check out" at a table where some of our sisters place the items in paper shopping bags. It's always a lot of fun and sparks some good conversations. We also put facts about domestic violence on shopping bags all around the room.

Hope this helps :)

ITB, Sharon

cici2004
09-26-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm looking for recruitment skit and preference party ideas. I'd love to see anything and everything that is out there--we're going to be revamping those two nights and I'm looking for what our other chapters do!

Thanks!

AChiOAlumna
09-28-2004, 11:32 PM
For Pref night, their is a cake ceremony...do you use it? It's beautiful and perfect as it talks all about AXO...my chapter used it and all the PNM's would cry (myself included)...the chapter I advise currently doesn't use it...I hope in the future they change their minds...

broj1834
10-29-2004, 03:08 AM
for our pref night, we get a few of our actives to sing "The Light of a Friend" with a few of our more recent Alumnae. It's pretty darn powerful

dancenaxo
01-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi ladies, I just discovered this site and I'm so excited that I did! I don't think my chapter has ever been on this but I really want to get in touch with anyone and everyone to exchange ideas. I am recruitment chair for this next year and would absolutely love to hear any fun songs/cheers that you guys do and/or any fun ideas in general....outfits, decorations, philanthropy ideas (we dont do skit anymore), etc...and I would be more than happy to give you some ideas on stuff we do at cal state fullerton!! Email me if you can help! dancenaxo@hotmail.com.

AChiOAlumna
01-10-2005, 11:40 AM
As far as your philanthropy day, may I recommend that you contact a local DV shelter and find out what they need. Then you can have the PNM's decorate bags that will be used to fill up with necessary items, like laundry detergent, toothpaste and toothbrushes, etc (cheap things that you can buy at 99 cent store!).

I'm an advisor from UCR and we decorate pots and fill them with AXO carnation seeds...it's cute but messy. ;)

Xylochick216
01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Welcome to GC :)

At Iota Psi, we do Shopping with AXO for Philanthropy Day. We collect clothes by having clothing drives all year. At recruitment, we get some nice shopping racks from department stores and set up a "store" in the house. The PNMs are paired with a member and they shop for an outfit (business or casual) and then they decorate a card to go in the bag. The bags are then donated to Family Abuse Services in town. It's a lot of fun and very relaxing, and PNMs always LOVE it. People don't feel as if they have to be creative to pick out a nice outfit :)

AChiOAlumna
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Xylochick216
Welcome to GC :)

At Iota Psi, we do Shopping with AXO for Philanthropy Day. We collect clothes by having clothing drives all year. At recruitment, we get some nice shopping racks from department stores and set up a "store" in the house. The PNMs are paired with a member and they shop for an outfit (business or casual) and then they decorate a card to go in the bag. The bags are then donated to Family Abuse Services in town. It's a lot of fun and very relaxing, and PNMs always LOVE it. People don't feel as if they have to be creative to pick out a nice outfit :)

This is totally cute! I'm going to have to tell our RC about this as our "activity" gets really messy and this seems to be more appropriate for women in a DV shelter!

carebearwcu
01-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure if your school allows themes for philanthropy day, but we did this during a C.O.B.:

We had a Casino Night theme. Some of our sisters are in the hospitality and tourism major, so they got real table tops for like black jack, craps, and roulette. If you don't have this resource, you can fins stuff like that in prom catalogues.

Anyway, so in different rooms of the house, we had different games set up. You play about 3 rounds with the PMNs of each game, then they get a little toiletry to go in a bag. Ater going to all the rooms and playing all the games, they all had bags full of toiletries to decorate and then we donated them to the local women's shelter. All the "dealers" and people handing out drinks and stuff wore black pants, a button up white shirt, and really cute cheap sparkly bowties.

Hope that gives ya some ideas!

AXO Alum
01-19-2005, 04:54 PM
No frills is an NPC movement - not based on certain GL directors or chapters. I know we have been moving through the new plans at our campus, and BOY is it a big change!!

I always thought of "frills" as being food and such -- not a 25 min skit! Anyway, we are down to 15 min on skit, and it has to directly relate to sisterhood, not just some random skit.

As for the shopping event - I know our girls tried it one semester and it bombed. I think that it is better suited to larger chapters.

We did a "fill the basket" last year for the shelter and it was awesome! Each PNM went with a sister around the tables in the room and filled a basket with goodies. We had dish-towel bunnies, candles (of course :) ), lotion and chapstick, journals, etc. It was so much fun!

JanoskoLikeWhoa
03-31-2005, 06:45 PM
This is for anyone who has posted a 'help i need ___ ideas' and has been told that there are millions of posts about it and to search for it.

In reality, there are about 5 good threads and 1 million posts asking for them lol

SO, I really wanted to make a successful thread where people can post all thier ideas and stuff and just have it all in one place!!! (hope it works out) and I'm starting it off with a GIGANTIC list of stuff I put together from millions of years of searching for it :D

I reeeeeally hope this thread grows and becomes useful!! It's SO much easier If there's ONE place to go for everything. Everyone post all your ideas here so we can have one HUGE database of ideas!!

:eek: THE LISTY!

Shirt Ideas
• NFL: nation’s finest ladies. “we scored the top draft pics, tryouts next year”
• Candyland: ‘how sweet it is to be an alpha chi’
• Around the world
• Oh, the places you’ll go with a chi o (dr. seuss)
• Armani Exchange A/X
• When your letters are in front of you, your sisters are behind you.
• "One Friend, Two Friends, Old Friends, New Friends
• It's not about what you've just become. It's about what you've always been."
• "Zeta Tau Alpha...Keeping America beautiful."
• She is more than parties and social activities...she is a way of life. She is someone to share special things with, to laugh with, and to cry with. She is someone to believe in and to trust. She is a
• "where the skies are bluer and the friendships are truer
• Star light, Star bright I got the wish I wished last night.
• "Some girls come to college to find their husbands...We came to find our bridesmaids."
• "Sometimes its worth the wait, but sometimes its worth the rush"
• "Founded in Indiana, Perfected in Texas"
• a picture of marilyn monroe from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and it said "Gentlemen prefer Zetas. " the guys loved wearing it!
• The members will wear kelly green shirts and the new members will be wearing lime green ones. They say: Nothing runs like a Zeta.....ON BID DAY!!!! This saying is on a john deer tractor sign with a girl running. The colors are green and yellow.
• It had the "E" exclamation point symbol (from the cable channel E) only it was a "Z". On the back it said "You think you know, but you have no idea... THE FABULOUS LIFE OF A ZETA TAU ALPHA"
• “alpha chi coture” like juicy coture with “introducing our new spring line”
• I dream of alpha chi (I dream of jeanie)
• Individually unique, together complete
• Picture of a girl praying and it said “and please please please make me an alpha chi omega”
• We laugh we cry we make time fly my sisters and me best friends are we
• Up in the stars and all of the sky, there’s no better place than alpha chi.
• Sometimes the best way to figure out who you are is to get to that place where you don’t have to be anyone else
• Flowery shirt: we sure know how to pick em
• We came expecting, we left remembering, we came empty we left filled, we came as many, we left as one, we came as strangers, we left as sisters, we came with nothing, we left with all.
• "Because class isnt just something you skip!"
• There are no better friends than my sisters (and it had a really cute picture of 5 girls walking on the beach hand in hand

Party Ideas

• Snowbunnies and Ski Instructors
• Alpha Chi Arrest (you get handciffed to your date)
• Mobsters and Mistresses
• Schoolgirls and Nerds
• Scrabble (everyone wears a letter and you spell out words for pics)
• My Tie (the guys bring a tie and each girl gets on as they come in, you have to find the guy whose tie you have)
• In the Line of Duty
• Caddyshack
• Millionaires and Gold Diggers
• Day-glo (everyone paints each other in a room with blacklights, super fun and a big mess)
• Witches Brew (Halloween date function)
• Barbie and Ken

FLAgirlxox
04-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I was watching Gilmore Girls the other day, and I dunno if you guys watch it, but they had a fundraising thing in their town.

All the girls bought picnic baskets and made them really pretty, then bought a whole bunch of food and put it in there.

Any guy that wanted to, bid on any basket, and whoever bid the highest got to have the picnic lunch with whichever girl it was who made it.

I thought this would be really fun to do!

AXWhoah
07-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Just to let you know, a couple of years ago we also did the shopping philanthropy for rush and it was a total bomb, all of the rushees hated it. I think it depends on where you are, how many girls are going through etc....because it doesn't always work, just an FYI