PDA

View Full Version : Other Musicals Being Turned Into Movie

moe.ron
06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Word on the street is that Russell Crowe will become Sweeney Todd. Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton and Toni Collette are rumored to take on the role of Mrs. Lovett. Sam Mendes is slated to direct the movie.

Another big movie production for a musical is Dreamgirls. Jamie Foxx, Usher, Beyonce Knowles and Eddie Murphy are slated to star in this production. Bill Condon have been confirmed to direct this movie.

GCrose34
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
http://moviemusicals.net/status.html

sugar and spice
06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm be excited for both of those. Ragtime would be interesting to see, too, although I'm not sure how it would translate to a movie-musical format -- although I thought the same about Chicago.

Grease 3 would be screwed up, but they could probably at least make it better than Grease 2.

DolphinChicaDDD
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Grease 3 would be screwed up, but they could probably at least make it better than Grease 2.

Anything has to be better than Grease 2.

Taualumna
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Didn't they already remake Bye Bye Birdie like 10 years ago with Jason Alexander?

sugar and spice
06-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Taualumna
Didn't they already remake Bye Bye Birdie like 10 years ago with Jason Alexander?

That was a made-for-TV remake; it sounds like this one will probably be theatrical and thus higher budget. The original Bye Bye Birdie was a theater-release movie but they deviated from the original musical quite a bit. The TV remake was technically closer to the original script but kind of dry, so neither the original or the TV remake is all that satisfying. I can see why they'd want to do it again.

xo_kathy
06-03-2005, 09:45 AM

My college roommate convinced her Freshman English professor to let her write her compare and contrast essay on Grease vs. Grease 2. She got an A+ and it was really well done actually! :D

What I don't get is all the ones that have already been done - Damn Yankees, Rocky Horror, Hairspray, etc. I'd rather see originals (like Moulin Rouge) or the bringing of original musicals to the screen (Rent).

AEPhiSierra
06-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm be excited for both of those. Ragtime would be interesting to see, too, although I'm not sure how it would translate to a movie-musical format -- although I thought the same about Chicago.

Well they did have a non-musical movie version of Ragtime that wasn't too bad.

moe.ron
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
What do you guys think about Sweeney Todd? That musical isn't the easiest to sing. I'm not sure about Russell Crowe. Can he handle the challenging vocals? Then again, he only need to get it right once. So, it might work out. Just don't let Schumacher anywhere near the set.

AXOeva
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by xo_kathy

What I don't get is all the ones that have already been done - Damn Yankees, Rocky Horror, Hairspray, etc. I'd rather see originals (like Moulin Rouge) or the bringing of original musicals to the screen (Rent).

I wouldn't put it past the industry to be more eager to redo the shows that have already been done (Damn Yankees, Rocky Horror, Hairspray) because there is a guarenteed audience for it. It is a safer bet to produce something that people already know about than something nobody knows anything about.

Fun story.... I was a couple of summers ago, I was interning for the marketing department of a NYC production company famous for their stage performances (theater, concerts, musical reviews, etc. Gold star to the person that can guess the company!) Well, one of assignments was to research three classic broadway musicals and put together a breakdown of the plot, a character analysis, and to come up with suggestions for actors to play the lead roles. It turned out that this company was in talks with the people who made Chicago. The Chicago people were looking to buy the rights to another musical and wanted to pair it with a stage musical review/preview produced by my company to generate buzz (and profits). Damn Yankees was one of the musical considerations, so I guess that is the musical they purchased, but who knows if they will follow through with the stage performance too.

tinydancer
06-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I'd like to see Hairspray come to the big screen. A GOOD version of Mame would be welcome, because the movie with Lucille Ball was the pits. I think re-making Rocky Horror Picture Show is a mistake!! Sometimes you just can't improve on the original.

ASUADPi
06-04-2005, 01:09 AM
I think they should start bringing musicals that aren't already movies or made for tv movies onto the bring screen.

I was watching the special features on my Phantom dvd and ALW stated on it that a bunch of teenagers in London were thanking him for making Phantom into a movie because they couldn't afford the theater tickets. These are the type of musicals that they should turn to movie, because not everyone can afford a 75 dollar theater ticket.

I would love to see them make Cats into a movie (I'm not quite sure how that would work but I haven't seen the play so hence why I would want it to be a movie).

I really think Chicago and Moulin Rouge opened the door and paved the way for movie musicals to become popular again.

moe.ron
07-11-2005, 04:07 AM
Anything but Cats.

I personally think that Miss Saigon would be incredible on the big screen.

Taualumna
07-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by moe.ron
Anything but Cats.

I personally think that Miss Saigon would be incredible on the big screen.

Ditto :)

ETA: as long as they don't cast a bunch of teenybop idols in it....

ASUADPi
07-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Ditto with Miss Siagon, especially since it is no longer on Broadway and no longer touring the United States. (it is in England according to the official website).

Hmm I should email them and say "make it a movie". LOL.

Perhaps they will showing the success (and yes I will call it a success) of Phantom and then before that Chicago.

a.e.B.O.T.
07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
I totally dont get how they will make Contact into a movie, because it is barely a show...

OH, but I like the John Travolta is in talks to play Edna in Hairspray, but I really doubt he'll dress in drag for the big screen...

Lil' Hannah
07-11-2005, 03:29 PM
They're going to redo Hairspray? Say it ain't so!

http://tinypic.com/71i3vl.jpg
"I'm sure many of the other home viewers out there are pleasantly plump or chunky."

moe.ron
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
They're turning Sunset Boulevard the musical into a movie. Ewan McGregor and Glenn Close will be staring in this movie.

Just think about it, they're making a movie based on a musical based on a movie. :D :D :D

MysticCat
07-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Just think about it, they're making a movie based on a musical based on a movie. :D :D :D Not unlike "Hairspray."

Give me the original Sunset Blvd. any day.

"You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big."

"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

moe.ron
07-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I saw it with Glenn Close back in the days. The set was so stunning. Music was recycled ALW. I enjoyed myself though.

Taualumna
07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I saw it with Glenn Close back in the days. The set was so stunning. Music was recycled ALW. I enjoyed myself though.

I saw it with Diahnn Carroll in the lead role when the show was in Toronto. The media said that Ms. Caroll was an unusual choice since shows usually don't cast minorities in a lead role that was originally written for a white actor until after the show is established, if at all.

moe.ron
07-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Sam Mendes have been confirmed to direct Sweeney Todd. Sweet man, let's hope Russell Crowe will not be in jail when they start shooting.

Still waiting for Les Miserables to be filmed.

ETA: Just found out that Crowe is out of the project.

ms_gwyn
07-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok I just saw that they wanted to remake Mame.....I am sorry, but NO

if they decided to remake this, it needs to be Auntie Mame, with Suzanne Pleshette, she really is the only women who I can see attempting to "replace" Rosalind Russell....

I saw the musical with Lucille Ball (whom I LOVE) but it just couldn't stand up

Mame Dennis is such a great women

ok I need to go buy this on DVD

moe.ron
10-13-2005, 05:30 PM
LES MISERABLES HITS HOLLYWOOD

Acclaimed French revolutionary musical LES MISERABLES is set to be turned into a blockbuster movie.

The theatrical production, written by CLAUDE-MICHEL SCHONBERG and ALAIN BOUBIL, was voted the UK's favourite musical earlier this year (05) and movie insiders are already predicting the film version will be a huge box-office success.

But show producer CAMERON MACKINTOSH is refusing to let the musical sell-out with a popular Hollywood director, and is instead searching for a movie-maker who appreciates the musical genre.

He says, "In the last six to nine months there has been renewed interest in the idea of a film adaptation and several big players want to be involved.

"That doesn't necessarily mean we are going to hand the project over to a big name director.

"We want someone who has a vision for the show that will put the show's original team, including me, back to work.

"We don't just want an adaptation. We want a film audiences will find as fresh as the actual show."
At first I'm really excited about the prospect. Then, I wonder wether or not the public would want to see a 3+ hour sung through musical movie abou a depressing subject. Let's hope they get people who can actually sing, unlike that other long running musical.

emleepc
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
At first I'm really excited about the prospect. Then, I wonder wether or not the public would want to see a 3+ hour sung through musical movie abou a depressing subject. Let's hope they get people who can actually sing, unlike that other long running musical.

I hope to goodness that this works out for the sake of the musical lover. The Les Mis movie they put out several years ago, was just rubbish.

Lindz928
10-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
Ok I just saw that they wanted to remake Mame.....I am sorry, but NO

if they decided to remake this, it needs to be Auntie Mame, with Suzanne Pleshette, she really is the only women who I can see attempting to "replace" Rosalind Russell....

I saw the musical with Lucille Ball (whom I LOVE) but it just couldn't stand up

Mame Dennis is such a great women

ok I need to go buy this on DVD

You are SO right! I think Auntie Mame (with Rosalind Russell) was incredible though (just look at my sig haha)... I own it on dvd.

I'm not crazy about the idea of "Damn Yankees" redone. I can see them just completely destroying the story. :( Of course, even the original movie has a hard time comparing to when I saw it on the stage with Jerry Lewis as the devil. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!

moe.ron
10-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by emleepc
I hope to goodness that this works out for the sake of the musical lover. The Les Mis movie they put out several years ago, was just rubbish.
Is that the one with Claire Danes and Liam Neeson? If so, I agree with you totally. They left out a lot of important scenes from the book. If you want to see a really good Les Mis movie, go see the one with Gιrard Depardieu and John Malkovich. Be forwarned, it's a miniseries and it's in French. However, it's the best Les Mis movie out there.

ASUADPi
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM

It was horrible wasn't it.

My thing is I love, love, love the character of Eponine and I don't believe she is technically in the book (while Cosette and Marius are).

Although I'm sure they will cut it down, because it is a very loooonnnngggg musical. And now that I think about it I can think of a few things that could be cut where it wouldn't hurt the integrity of the story.

I'm so excited for all these Musicals being made into movies. So many aren't running either on broadway, London or even touring companies and it gives the new audiences a chance to see them.

emleepc
10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Is that the one with Claire Danes and Liam Neeson? If so, I agree with you totally. They left out a lot of important scenes from the book. If you want to see a really good Les Mis movie, go see the one with Gιrard Depardieu and John Malkovich. Be forwarned, it's a miniseries and it's in French. However, it's the best Les Mis movie out there.

I'll try to check that out. I can probably get through the French, and I don't mind having captioning on. If it's truer to the book, I'll try it. And I do like Gerard Depardieu.....

moe.ron
10-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I think Steve Martin would make a great Thenadier. We know he can sing and the Thenadier role isn't that hard to do (compare with other roles in the musical).

emleepc
10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I would make a great Eponine! It's kinda a dream. She's got great songs, the emotion.....

But, like I said, it's a dream. I'm content to sing along with the soundtrack.....

But really, who's gonna play Jean Valjean?

moe.ron
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I would make a great Eponine! It's kinda a dream. She's got great songs, the emotion.....

But, like I said, it's a dream. I'm content to sing along with the soundtrack.....

But really, who's gonna play Jean Valjean?
Michael Ball is interested.

ASUADPi
10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Michael Ball as Valjean?

I'm just not feeling it. I mean for me it would be incredibly hard to picture Michael Ball as Valjean when all I can do is picture him as Marius.

How about Emmy Rossum for Eponine?

emleepc
10-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't think it would work.......because now she basically seen as Christine from Phantom. Another unknown would work though (of course, that's why I said, me!)

Linda Eder should somehow play a part in this........she's fabulous!

moe.ron
10-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I hope it isn't Emmy Rossum. She had two expressions during Phantom, confused and more confused. Eponine needs a wide ranging of emotions. Plus, I don't like her voice and you need to know how to belt to play Eponine. Emmy couldn't doesn't have the belting voice.

emleepc
10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I hope it isn't Emmy Rossum. She had two expressions during Phantom, confused and more confused. Eponine needs a wide ranging of emotions. Plus, I don't like her voice and you need to know how to belt to play Eponine. Emmy couldn't doesn't have the belting voice.

So very true.....it's scary.

She's got that way to innocent look. No way she could be Eponine.

Eponine needs to be someone that looks like the really lived, someone that from the first note that you hear, sounds like raw emotion, from the gut. Someone you can't get out of your head. Emmy ain't go that.

ASUADPi
10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
[mini hijack]

on the flip side, we don't know if she "got it" or not. Emmy is a trained Opera singer. I'm sure the girl can belt. Belting really isn't called for in Phantom.

[end mini hijack]

Thoughts on Marius or Cosette?

emleepc
10-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ASUADPi
[mini hijack]

on the flip side, we don't know if she "got it" or not. Emmy is a trained Opera singer. I'm sure the girl can belt. Belting really isn't called for in Phantom.

[end mini hijack]

Actually, though, she was in some Lifetime or ABC family movie I saw a few months ago, and she sang in it too. Same kind of timid singing....but she was playing the piano....that's cool.

moe.ron
10-17-2005, 12:05 PM
I think they'll need to find a relative unknown, or even somebody from Broadway to play Eponine. As for Javert, how about Russell Crowe. If he's considered to play Sweeney, I think he will be able to play Javert. Plus, Crowe have that menacing look.

emleepc
10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but he might be too well-known. I always picture Javert as being, forgive me, not so good-looking......maybe that adds to the character or something. If he's a good-looking guy, don't you tend to like him a bit more?

I don't know.

moe.ron
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
They'll have to go after one or two big names just to get people in the seats. Look what happen to Phantom. They went for no names and got burned.

I do agree with you that Russell Crowe maybe too much of a pretty boy. Javert must be intimidating and menacing. If Christopher Walken can sing, he'll be perfect.

emleepc
10-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Oh, he's perfect! I just love to hate him---pretty much every character he's played (gosh, that sounded mean).

Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert's characters are going to have to be really strong though, to 'oppose' each other.

(thinking----I can see someone like Roseanne playing Madame Thenardier......)

moe.ron
10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Javert is a hard character to pull off. He's such a multi-layered character, he's an anti-hero. He sits directly opposite of Valjean, but you cannot hate him because of his loyalty to the law, no matter how twisted his loyalty is.

Roseanne? Remmember her singing ability during the national anthem? LOL

Just to see:
Jean Valjean
Javert
Fantine
Marius
Young Cossette
Young Eponine
Cossette
Eponine
Enjolras
Thenardier
Mme. Thenardier
Gavroche

Taualumna
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I can sort of see Emily Rossum as Cosette. Many Cosettes have also played Christine.

Let's just hope that Katie Holmes isn't going to play Eponine...she didn't do the best job singing On My Own on Dawson...

emleepc
10-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Taualumna
I can sort of see Emily Rossum as Cosette. Many Cosettes have also played Christine.

Let's just hope that Katie Holmes isn't going to play Eponine...she didn't do the best job singing On My Own on Dawson...

I just don't want to see Emmy in this one---I'll be disappointed. But you know that they're looking at her for one of the parts. They'd be stupid not to.

What about Donald Sutherland for Javert? If he could sing---he would be good.

If you gave Katie a part in this movie, I guess you'd have to put Tom in it too........I mean, they are attached at the hip. And Tom isn't that great.....we heard him sing in Top Gun, and he changed keys in that acappella number 2 or 3 times.........

Yikes.

moe.ron
10-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Can Rossum hit the high notes? She was struggling with Christine's high and low notes. Seems like she's ill prepared to tackle the role. But, I've never liked Cossette anyway, so they can get almost anybody to play that role.

I think his son, Kiefer Sutherland, would be better. Javert isn't that old and most of the actors that played him were in their late 30s to early 40s.

How about Anne Hathaway? She has the voice, could hit the high notes and is pretty popular. I think she'll be pretty good as Cossette.

Macintosh is extremely protective of this musical. I think he'll be very picky when it come to picking the actors to play the role.

Let's talk about who can direct this movie. Maybe Baz Luhrmann?

ETA: Just thought about this: Neil Patrick Haris as either Enjrolas or Marius.

moe.ron
07-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Tim Burton is to direct Sweeney Todd. Here's a suprise, Johnny Depp is rumored to play Sweeney. can he pull off the singing chop?

MysticCat
07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Tim Burton is to direct Sweeney Todd. Here's a suprise, Johnny Depp is rumored to play Sweeney. can he pull off the singing chop?I have no idea whether Depp can sing or not, but Sondheim is not for the "pretty good" singer.

AlphaFrog
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I have no idea whether Depp can sing or not, but Sondheim is not for the "pretty good" singer.

I took professional lessons for years, and there's quite a bit of Sondheim stuff that's still challenging. Although after singing quite a bit of both, I do have to say that musically (not lyrically) him and Ives have many similarities.

jadis96
07-21-2006, 11:48 PM
I know this may sound weird, but what about Alan Cumming as Sweeny? He has the broadway credits of Caberet, Threepenny Opera etc, but he also has done enough film work to know he can carry that too. If you ever saw him in Caberet you know he can carry the crazed look that Sweeny needs to carry off.

moe.ron
07-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I know this may sound weird, but what about Alan Cumming as Sweeny? He has the broadway credits of Caberet, Threepenny Opera etc, but he also has done enough film work to know he can carry that too. If you ever saw him in Caberet you know he can carry the crazed look that Sweeny needs to carry off.
I think that might be a good casting choice. Christopher Walken would another good casting choice to play Sweeney.

RU OX Alum
07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
If you like good movies, you'll boycot these. These are just as bad as if not worse than all the stupid sequels and remakes and sequels to remakes.

AlphaFrog
07-24-2006, 10:29 AM
If you like good movies, you'll boycot these. These are just as bad as if not worse than all the stupid sequels and remakes and sequels to remakes.

They aren't bad (well, yes, some are bad)...they just have a different target audience then most mainstream films. There are quite a few that stick as much to the orginal script as possible.

ETA: Actually, I found Phantom of the Opera to be excellent, as far as remakes go. Most of the things added (besides the backstory of the Phantom told by Mdme Giry) were things from the book that were not in the orignal stage play (such as the room of mirrors Raoul falls into).

RU OX Alum
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I should have been more clear. Musical on Broadway have been ruining the level of quality in the theatre scene of america for years. They hardly even hire actors. Not that they don't have any acting training, but most of these people are singers and/or dancers, and they constantly screw up the acting part just to get the notes "right."

AlphaFrog
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I should have been more clear. Musical on Broadway have been ruining the level of quality in the theatre scene of america for years. They hardly even hire actors. Not that they don't have any acting training, but most of these people are singers and/or dancers, and they constantly screw up the acting part just to get the notes "right."

What musicals are you seeing?? Wow, I think that's a totally unfair assesment.

MysticCat
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
They hardly even hire actors. Not that they don't have any acting training, but most of these people are singers and/or dancers, and they constantly screw up the acting part just to get the notes "right."How is that different from how it has long been, both on Broadway and in Hollywood? Then as now there are exceptions -- usually quite a few -- but the idea that voice (or dancing) is much more important than acting ability goes back to grand opera at least.

Now, if you want to argue that the trend of creating musicals out of "XYZ's Greatest Hits" is damaging the American musical, you'll get no argument from me. And if you have specifics on actors/singers/dancers who are "ruining the quality" of American theatre by "constantly screwing up the acting part," then please share, because I don't see it.

RU OX Alum
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
whoever was in that god awful thing I got dragged to
it was a rip off of a rip off of a rip off bascially same plot as philadelphia story/ fantasktics/ et al in whatever incarnation. Dude playing the ex husband character had maybe three songs to sing, which he did, but the entire time he was on stage, never once changed expressions, or showed ANY emotion.

I think this was called "high society" or some such non-sense. And then you look at program, you see they all joined AEA within the last month or so. I'm calling shenainingins on that.

And no, not always was it like this. For example, WEst Side Story. Parts written for singers, parts written for actors and parts written for dancers. 3 or 4 in each gang i think that only danced. They didn't want some one who spent all day at the piano learning scales to play action. That would have ruined everything. Or riff or the sharks or whoever.

MysticCat
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
whoever was in that god awful thing I got dragged to
it was a rip off of a rip off of a rip off bascially same plot as philadelphia story/ fantasktics/ et al in whatever incarnation. Dude playing the ex husband character had maybe three songs to sing, which he did, but the entire time he was on stage, never once changed expressions, or showed ANY emotion.

I think this was called "high society" or some such non-sense.I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have provided one "specific" and ask: does one bad experience herald the downfall of American theatre?

And "High Society" = "some such non-sense?" Ummm, yeah, it is a musical version of "The Philadelphia Story," with music by Cole Porter. I guess you've never seen the movie, starring Bing Crosby (definitely a better singer than actor -- he pretty much always played himself), Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Celeste Holm, John Lund and Louis Armstrong.

And no, not always was it like this. For example, WEst Side Story. Parts written for singers, parts written for actors and parts written for dancers. 3 or 4 in each gang i think that only danced. They didn't want some one who spent all day at the piano learning scales to play action. That would have ruined everything. Or riff or the sharks or whoever.Yeah, okay. That's one show from 1957. (And a show that in many ways, according to its composer, is more of an opera than a musical.) Of course, it lost the Tony for Best Musical to "The Music Man" in 1958. And do you remember the other nominees -- "New Girl in Town," "Jamaica" or "Oh, Captain!"? And, of course, you ignore the many, many shows that require dancing by the main characters. I mean, really, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers?! Fred wasn't that strong an actor either -- like Bing, he played himself.

It's a bad idea to judge the current state of the American theatre by one show, just as it's a bad idea to judge the history of the American theatre by one show -- even one as remarkable as "West Side Story," which may be an exception to the rule. "WSS" story doesn't change the fact that frequently in the history of the American musical theatre and movie musical, the ability to sing or dance well has been deemed more important than the ability to act well.

BTW: since you say that WSS had parts written for singers, parts for dancers and parts for actors, would Tony, Maria and Anita classify as parts for actors, singers or dancers? Not anybody can sing Tony and Maria's parts, and Anita has to do quite a bit of dancing (which is perhaps why someone whose training and background was primarily dancing rather than acting -- Chita Rivera -- was the first Anita).

jadis96
07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I am not sure High Society can be considered where Broadway is going since it's not currently running on Broadway according the the IBDB http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=4867 and with the exception of two of the original cast members all were already equity members. Maybe the production you saw was a tour. I find that tours are often new performers because that is a good way to cut their teeth on shows without the producers having to risk the main production.

Looking at a list of current shows:
• Avenue Q
• Beauty and the Beast
• Bridge & Tunnel
• Chicago
• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
• Faith Healer
• Hairspray
• Jersey Boys
• Mamma Mia!
• Rent
• Spamalot
• Sweeney Todd
• Tarzan
• The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
• The Color Purple
• The Drowsy Chaperone
• The History Boys
• The Lieutenant of Inishmore
• The Lion King
• The Phantom of the Opera
• The Producers
• The Wedding Singer
• Wicked

I see quite a few that require real acting to get through it. I don't think Anthony Rapp or Adam Pascal got by on singing or dancing alone in Rent. Also quite a few of these shows are straight shows that require no singing or dancing at all.

RU OX Alum
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have provided one "specific" and ask: does one bad experience herald the downfall of American theatre?

And "High Society" = "some such non-sense?" Ummm, yeah, it is a musical version of "The Philadelphia Story," with music by Cole Porter. I guess you've never seen the movie, starring Bing Crosby (definitely a better singer than actor -- he pretty much always played himself), Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Celeste Holm, John Lund and Louis Armstrong.

Yeah, okay. That's one show from 1957. (And a show that in many ways, according to its composer, is more of an opera than a musical.) Of course, it lost the Tony for Best Musical to "The Music Man" in 1958. And do you remember the other nominees -- "New Girl in Town," "Jamaica" or "Oh, Captain!"? And, of course, you ignore the many, many shows that require dancing by the main characters. I mean, really, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers?! Fred wasn't that strong an actor either -- like Bing, he played himself.

It's a bad idea to judge the current state of the American theatre by one show, just as it's a bad idea to judge the history of the American theatre by one show -- even one as remarkable as "West Side Story," which may be an exception to the rule. "WSS" story doesn't change the fact that frequently in the history of the American musical theatre and movie musical, the ability to sing or dance well has been deemed more important than the ability to act well.

BTW: since you say that WSS had parts written for singers, parts for dancers and parts for actors, would Tony, Maria and Anita classify as parts for actors, singers or dancers? Not anybody can sing Tony and Maria's parts, and Anita has to do quite a bit of dancing (which is perhaps why someone whose training and background was primarily dancing rather than acting -- Chita Rivera -- was the first Anita).

Oh.

AlphaFrog
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
(which is perhaps why someone whose training and background was primarily dancing rather than acting -- Chita Rivera -- was the first Anita).

My name is Chita and not Rita...

Sorry, Forbidden Broadway flashback...:p

MysticCat
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
My name is Chita and not Rita...

Sorry, Forbidden Broadway flashback...:pGee, thanks. Now all I can hear is "her Akita, Evita." :D

AlphaFrog
07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Gee, thanks. Now all I can hear is "her Akita, Evita." :D

Ok...here's a better one:

"It's too high....this song's too high, bring it down, bring it down...."

MysticCat
07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Ok...here's a better one:

"It's too high....this song's too high, bring it down, bring it down...."Then there's my favorite Forbidden Broadway number:

I'll learn a new song Tomorrow,
But until Tomorrow then Tomorrow will have to do. . . .
Tomorrow, Tomorrow is my favorite showtune,
I sing three times a day.
I sing it 4,367 times a year.
Redundant, redundant, this song is redundant.
I'll sing it until . . I . . . die . . . !

Seriously, we must stop.

AlphaFrog
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Then there's my favorite Forbidden Broadway number:

I'll learn a new song Tomorrow,
But until Tomorrow then Tomorrow will have to do. . . .
I sing three times a day.
I sing it 4,367 times a year.
Redundant, redundant, this song is redundant.
I'll sing it until . . I . . . die . . . !

Seriously, we must stop.

Oh, since you posted that one I have to add this one:

I'm 30 years old Tomorrow,
And I haven't had a role
Since I played Annie
When I was 10.

ETA: Why do I feel like us music geeks are getting blank stares from the rest of GC??;)

RU OX Alum
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
hhmmm....maybe they're not all bad

Drolefille
07-25-2006, 02:20 PM
I enjoyed both of those... More please?

AlphaFrog
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Since you asked:

So hoist me up in a harness
And point me to the sky,
In all the big shows lately,
All the leading ladies have to fly!

MysticCat
07-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Okay, one more.

(to the tune of "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"):

When I was young,
I used to be
a famous star like any other.
But now my son's a bigger one
'cause I'm . . . Larry Hagman's mother.

kstar
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM

But she shouldn't have even played Christine. She cannot sing. Her parts in Phantom were manipulated so much. Even with the manipulation they had to lower many of her parts a whole octave at times.

Drolefille
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Awesome for all of those.. more please :)

AlphaFrog
07-26-2006, 07:09 AM
But she shouldn't have even played Christine. She cannot sing. Her parts in Phantom were manipulated so much. Even with the manipulation they had to lower many of her parts a whole octave at times.

The very first part of "The Phantom of the Opera" when she sings "In sleep he saaang to me" I swear the word "sang" has more drawl on it then a country music singer...drives me CRAZY!!!

And when she sings "Father once spoke of an angel" her "angel" sounds like "a-njul" when she should have been closer to "an-gel" (like gel pens).

moe.ron
07-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Emmy Rossum's deer caught in the headlight acting bothers me. She should play one of the students that gets shot at the barricade. Before she gets show, they should show her deer caight in the headlight act.

CutiePie2000
07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Anything has to be better than Grease 2.
Sing it together with me now:

I want a coooooool rider,
A cool, cool, cool, cool rider.
I want a coooooool rider,
A cool, cool, cool, cool rider.
I want a C-O-O-L R-I-D-E-R.
I need a C-O-O-L R-I-D-E-R.

moe.ron
10-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Sweeney Todd Movie confirmed casting:
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd
Sascha Cohen - Pirelli

and here's a major casating suprise

Helen boham Carter - Mrs. Lovett

Uhm, Tim, can you at least have some creativity in your casting.

RU OX Alum
10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
he picks the same people everytime, yeah, but they work well together

moe.ron
12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Alan Rickman Joins Sweeney Todd

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104107.html

Munchkin03
12-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Commenting on the opposite of this thread--movies converted into musicals. Has anyone read the reviews on High Fidelity? It's one of my favorite movies, but I can't get into it in musical form. Apparently, neither can the critics.

ASUADPi
12-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I just read in the paper that Universal has the rights to make Wicked into a movie musical while ABC (I think, I can't seem to find the section I read it in) owns the rights to the book, to make it into just a movie.

So we shall see.

I'm all about a movie musical since when the show came here to AZ, it sold out in days. :(

AlphaFrog
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
I just read in the paper that Universal has the rights to make Wicked into a movie musical while ABC (I think, I can't seem to find the section I read it in) owns the rights to the book, to make it into just a movie.

So we shall see.

I'm all about a movie musical since when the show came here to AZ, it sold out in days. :(

I don't know where your paper's source is, but in the program from the show in Atlanta, Universal has held all rights to make Wicked into a movie since the book first came out, before the musical was even a thought. As of this time, Universal has no (publicly announced) plans to turn Wicked (book OR musical) into a movie. I don't know where ABC came in, but I don't think that part is correct...and being that ABC is owned by Disney, there's NO WAY they would ever buy the rights to the book but not the musical. I mean, there are like 5 Disney movies that AREN'T musicals...it's where their market is.

So for a movie to be made, Universal would need to sell the rights or get their butts in gear...neither of which I see happening anytime soon, since it just opened on West End, and will still be touring and on Broadway for quite awhile.

ASUADPi
12-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't know where your paper's source is, but in the program from the show in Atlanta, Universal has held all rights to make Wicked into a movie since the book first came out, before the musical was even a thought. As of this time, Universal has no (publicly announced) plans to turn Wicked (book OR musical) into a movie. I don't know where ABC came in, but I don't think that part is correct...and being that ABC is owned by Disney, there's NO WAY they would ever buy the rights to the book but not the musical. I mean, there are like 5 Disney movies that AREN'T musicals...it's where their market is.

So for a movie to be made, Universal would need to sell the rights or get their butts in gear...neither of which I see happening anytime soon, since it just opened on West End, and will still be touring and on Broadway for quite awhile.

I get the Arizona Republic, and the question about Wicked was asked and posted in the USA Weekend. This was in today's paper, I obviously don't know how current your Atlanta program is, but I'm guessing things have shifted when it comes to the rights.

Here is the question and answer from USA Weekend

"Q: My daughter loved the Broadway show Wicked. I read the book and saw the show. When will the story be made into a movie?

A: There could be two movies, but not anytime soon. Universal, which produces the musical, also own rights to adapt a musical for the screen. ABC owns the rights to adapt the book into non-musical film. Author Gregory Maguire tells us, "the play continues to be thrilling enough, so I am willing to wait" "

And as the author said, he is willing to wait, but I give it between 5-7 years before Wicked will be on the big screen, either musical or non musical version.

As for Disney not buying the rights for the Musical. If the book came out before the musical (which I'm guessing is the case), they probably bought the rights, right then. Then the musical came out and Universal was producing the musical. Being that they are producing the show, they probably got first dibs on the rights to produce a movie version of the musical.

OhSoVeryLadylike
12-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to see Dreamgirls. I am not a Beyonce fan, but I must admit she is good for the part...

deadbear80
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
I can't wait to see Dreamgirls. I am not a Beyonce fan, but I must admit she is good for the part...

Sure...since she is the former lead singer of an all-girl group and sold-out to go solo! Perfect part--she's playing herself. Or rather, the Diana Ross-type version of herself. I'm excited to see Dreamgirls because I love the music. Don't know how many of you have seen the musical, but it's good. The entire 1st Act is pretty much the story of the Supremes/Diana Ross and the Supremes/Diana Ross featuring the Supremes but the 2nd Act broke away from them--probably so the playwrights wouldn't get sued!

OhSoVeryLadylike
12-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Sure...since she is the former lead singer of an all-girl group and sold-out to go solo! Perfect part--she's playing herself. Or rather, the Diana Ross-type version of herself. I'm excited to see Dreamgirls because I love the music. Don't know how many of you have seen the musical, but it's good. The entire 1st Act is pretty much the story of the Supremes/Diana Ross and the Supremes/Diana Ross featuring the Supremes but the 2nd Act broke away from them--probably so the playwrights wouldn't get sued!

I have seen the show awesome...Audra Mitchell, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Heather Headley...the One Night Benefit was GREAT!

CrimsonLadybug
07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Alan Rickman Joins Sweeney Todd

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104107.html

There seems to be some negativity toward this endeavor. I personally can't wait. In fact, when I first heard it was happening, sometime last Fall, I literally squealed with delight. I have a big red circle drawn around December 21 on my calendar (the theatrical release as per Rotten Tomatoes). Another name that has been missed in all this banter, and which excites me greatly, is Anthony Stewart Head. We could have done without Sascha Baron Cohen because so far he has not impressed me (disgusted being a more appropriate word:eek:) but the rest of the cast should counteract his annoying-ness.

moe.ron
10-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Just saw the new trailer for Sweeney Todd. Looks very wicked.

1st Trailer (http://www.movieweb.com/video/V07J6WrdETZimX)

2nd Trailer (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Second-Sweeney-Todd-Trailer-6704.html)

Movie looks very dark and very little disturbing. Me like