PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new Trident subscription policy?

lake
05-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Just curious what you guys think. Personally, I've been subscribing to the Trident now for about five years, and I really don't mind paying for the privilege of receiving it, especially if it continues to evolve into the high quality publication it has become.

However, it sounds as if this is kind of a hot button issue for some of the alums.

Your thoughts?

JupiterTC
05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
From a collegiate member perspective, I can understand how it is unfair to pay the extra money for alumnae to receive the magazine. I can also understand that there are some alumnae who haven't been active since college, and yet it's unfair for them to receive the publication for free. However, there are some GLOs who deliever their magazine to alums regardless of how active they are. My dad is a member of Kappa Sigma and he's not as active as he use to be, but he still receives his magazine without fail.

Is it cost effective? Yes. Is it fair? I'm afraid I haven't been a member long enough to determine that, but I can certainly see both sides of the argument.

sugar and spice
05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I was surprised at the letters in the most recent Trident. I can understand that some alumnae might be upset about the change, but it's only 20 dollars a year (and you don't have to pay that if you're involved in an alum chapter!). You can also read the issues online for free -- and I know not everyone has a computer or internet access, but I think this will become less of an issue as the technologically educated generation goes alum.

I understand that many other groups do provide magazines to all alums for free, but there are some differences here. First, some of these groups are smaller or younger and have fewer alumnae to deliver the magazine to. Second, Tri Delta has recently upped the quality of the Trident quite a bit (at least in my opinion), and it's more professional/of higher quality than some of the other fraternity/sorority magazines out there.

Personally, I think the editors are making the best of a difficult situation, and it upsets me that some alumnae are punishing the foundation by witholding donations simply because they're upset with the choices that the Trident made.

HelloKitty22
05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I totally agree Sugar and Spice!
I wish that it was possible to send the Trident to everybody free but having read how much money it costs to do so, I do see how the resources could be better spent. I do think it is nice to get an update throughout the year as a alum via the Trident even if I don't do anything active or send any money. But I also see EO's point that there are other ways to connect with alums that are more cost effective, like the Pine Tree. I also agree that if people really value the Trident and read it, they will pay for it. I was personally concerned that I might forget to renew and miss issues which is one of the reasons I went Life Loyal. I know it's a big chunk of money (I waited a two years after graduation to afford it) but if you are just graduating or have recently graduated it's definately worth it.

DolphinChicaDDD
05-25-2005, 07:18 PM
I was also surprised at the alums response in the Trident. $20 is not a lot cash...my alumane dues are actually 25-30 a year (I think). Like Heather said, the quality has improved and we do have a lot of alums (and our alums are staying around a lot longer- we have 2 golden circle and 1 diamond circle members in my alum group). It just isn't cost effective to send out the magazine to everyone.

The withholding of donations bothers me as well. Tri Delta is a life long pledge of loyalty. Its makes no sense to me that you would support the fraternity, but then as soon as one thing bothers you, that someone would pull out support. I hear the one alum's point that becoming LifeLoyal is expensive, but thats only when you view it up front. Once I get a "real" job, I do plan to become LL; however right not $250 is a paycheck. It is actually a pretty good deal in the long run.

I think the problem is that some people have difficulty seeing the long range picture and instead focus on the how the short term is effecting them.