PDA

View Full Version : Is Panhellenic Worth It?

IrishRose
08-28-2000, 09:39 AM
Hello All,
I'm from the University of Maryland, College Park and we are currently a SA Intrest Group- yes I know we have been for some time, but there have been some minor brick walls in our way. Anyways I wanted to get others opions on whether being a part of Panhell is worth it? Some of the interested women here mentioned having SA be a part of it, although in speaking to some of my co-workers that are part of PHC we may not be "social" enough for our universities guidelines. So if any sisters out there that are part of a chapter in panhell or are not could give me feedback I'd greatly appreciate it!

julstew
09-07-2000, 12:41 AM
I am a member of the Lambda chapter at UCDavis, and we went through the same struggle last year. We went through a sort of "trial period" with the panhellenic system and it was decided that we would not become members. I think that being a Panhellenic member can offer many things such as more opportunities to socialize with the majority of the Greek community, and being a part of this system also helps out in getting your name out onto your campus. I feel that not being members of Panhellenic has excluded us from some pretty fun things that other greeks participate in, and I have also noticed that we have a difficult time finding contacts for social events. However,it also brings more responsability to the chapter, not only financially but time wise as well. There are monthly meetings to attend as well as events for the entire greek community that you will need help organize.So it is really up to your chapter wether or not you are willing to put in the work to be part of the social scene. Just keep in mind that we do have social requirements, they help to keep us sane in our busy Sigma Alpha lives!=)

annafromiota
09-17-2000, 04:14 PM
I am the president of the Iota Chapter here at the University of Arkansas. Our chapter is considered an associate member of Panhellenic. We are invited to do everything with the other Greeks, but we get to pick and choose which things we want to do. We are given a sister sorority on campus and have lots of options, everything from service projects, greek sing, to the parties. We are just really selective. This year we are participating in 3 events with Panhel. If you are at Natl Convention and want to talk more about it, look me up.