PDA

View Full Version : Spring Planting

ThetaPrincess24
04-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello ladies!

My fiance has given me full control over spring planting and ofcourse I have just planted many many pansies in the front of our house :) I was wondering who has begun their spring planting of pansies.

We've also got most of our garden planted (except the tomatos and peppers because it's too early). We will have(hopefully) two kinds of lettuce, carrots, green beans, snap peas, cantaloupe, pumpkin, watermelon, squash, green onions, zucchiini, basil, dill, corriander, tarragon, spearmint, strawberries, and rosemary as far as eating goes. In addition to my beautiful pansies, we've also got Irises, hosta, day lilies, hyacinths, glads, and tulips coming up, with roses and lavender.

What kinds of flowers/fruits/veggies/plants do you all plant?

thetalady
04-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
My fiance has given me full control over spring planting and ofcourse I have just planted many many pansies in the front of our house :) I was wondering who has begun their spring planting of pansies.

What kinds of flowers/fruits/veggies/plants do you all plant?

Mary-

I sure hope you aren't just going to hate me for saying this... around here, pansies are winter flowers. They pretty much fold up & die when the temps hit about 70 degrees. In Dallas, we plant them in November, pull them in April.

I plant portulaca. Very heat & drought tolerant, blooms spring through late fall (till the pansies go in!)

ThetaPrincess24
04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by thetalady
Mary-

I sure hope you aren't just going to hate me for saying this... around here, pansies are winter flowers. They pretty much fold up & die when the temps hit about 70 degrees. In Dallas, we plant them in November, pull them in April.

I plant portulaca. Very heat & drought tolerant, blooms spring through late fall (till the pansies go in!)

I told my fiance when he told me I could plant the pansies that they only are spring and fall flowers here and would die and not bloom during the summer. He said that was fine and when they died we'd plant something else till fall..........so I like well OKAY then :) We are havign cool nights here rigth now but the past couple of days have been close to 80 degrees so I guess we will see how long they really will last.

Janerz222
04-11-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm clueless about gardening, but today the kids and I planted 2 kinds of tomatoes (roma and yellow pear) and 3 kinds of chilies (purple bells, serranos, and Italian roasters). We already have several strawberry plants still going from last year and will plant carrot seeds when we get a chance this week).

happy spring!

hoover815
04-12-2005, 03:26 AM
We just finished new steps, porch, and a retaining wall in our front yard, so it's all looking very thrashed. Except for the four pots of pansies I planted this weekend, which are looking very sunny and cheery. Mary -- you are quite the gardener! I'm impressed! We have an entire front yard to landscape now, and I'm waiting for a friend of a friend to come and tell me what on my wish list will actually grow there. I love peoneys (sp?) and hydrangeas and hope to find a place for them. I think I'll try tomatoes for the first time. Any hints?

ThetaPrincess24
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by hoover815
We just finished new steps, porch, and a retaining wall in our front yard, so it's all looking very thrashed. Except for the four pots of pansies I planted this weekend, which are looking very sunny and cheery. Mary -- you are quite the gardener! I'm impressed! We have an entire front yard to landscape now, and I'm waiting for a friend of a friend to come and tell me what on my wish list will actually grow there. I love peoneys (sp?) and hydrangeas and hope to find a place for them. I think I'll try tomatoes for the first time. Any hints?

Hilary

Tomato's are fairly esy to grow. Just make sure that you have rods to attach them too as they grow and you feed them with miracle grow and usual watering when rain isnt cooperative.

Peonies are beautiful flowers. When my fiance and I get married and build our new house, they are on our landscaping list with other things as well(we are actually going to be a lil cheap and dig up some of our bulbs and take with us too hehe). I have three deep blue hydrangeas inside my home that I bought at Walmart around Easter and they are beautiful! They have lasted a really long time too, much longer bloom time than my tulips. When they finally die we are going to plant their bulbs here in the fall rather than throwing them in the garbage :)

I do really enjoy gardening. As having a stressful major and soon to be stressful career, as does my fiance, we have discovered that gardening, be it flowers or veggies and fruits, is a stress reliever for us as well as cheap exercise if you will :)