PDA

View Full Version : mystery pin

smiles1418
02-08-2005, 11:56 PM
i received a pin from one of the senior Gamma Phis when she graduated last year. I'm not really sure what it is. I asked my CLC and she didn't know either... I'm currently studying abroad... and i don't have the pin with me so i can't take a picture and post it, but i'll do my best to describe it.

pin:

its a white crescent moon faced the wrong direction (so that it looks like a "C") on the cresent moon are 3 pink carnations placed end to end vertically. in between the 2 tips of the moon are the greek letters "gamma Phi Beta" in gold. The whole moon is also thinly outlined in gold.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was. and when it is appropriate to wear it. We're not really sure where it came from but it has been passed down a few times within my fairly young chapter (ZI). If anyone knows what this is i'd love to find out!

g-phi love!:)

smiles1418
02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
ohh... one more thing i forgot... my CLC did say she thought it was possibly some sort of a commemorative pin from convention... that's all i've got:-D

SmartBlondeGPhB
02-09-2005, 02:05 PM
It sounds like the pin that the St. Louis Alumnae Chapter sells.

smiles1418
02-09-2005, 07:13 PM
that's crazy because i'm from st louis!... although the girl who gave it to me was not... thanks for the info

navane
02-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I've seen that pin before, but I'm not sure what it is. There is a line drawing of it on page 298 of the book "The Legacy of Gamma Phi Beta" in the section which describes the various "non-official" gift items which have been sold over the years. The Beta Lambda chapter advisor over at SDSU has one and I saw her wearing it during recruitment. I overheard someone asking her what it is, but I didn't hear the whole answer. I remember that she implied that it was given to her as an award and so she thought she should probably wear it. As far as I can tell, it's not a major international award pin or anything like that, so I assume you could wear it whenever you like! :)

.....Kelly :)

navane
02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Click through to the link to see a photo of a St. Louis area alumna wearing the pin I'm thinking about:

http://www.stlgammaphibeta.org/files/DSC01238.JPG

smiles1418
02-10-2005, 02:05 AM
yup... that's the pin... i talked with the stl alumnae group today and its definitely the kind they sell... its kinda a cool coincidence that i'm from STL... anyways... if anyone is interested in one like it they still sell them... now with sliver backing not just the gold...

SmartBlondeGPhB
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
An one other thing, the crescent facing like a "c" is the RIGHT, not wrong, way.

gphiangel624
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I have that pin... our chapter gives them to graduating seniors as sort of a "new alum" gift. Our alums wear them along with our badges to Gamma Phi events. Wasn't sure where they got them from though, because my mom wants one and we're almost out of them.

Anyone have the info for the St. Louis alums so we can order more?

navane
02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
An one other thing, the crescent facing like a "c" is the RIGHT, not wrong, way.

Actually, I heard at the last convention that is the WRONG way. I read in a public Gamma Phi document (The Legacy of Gamma Phi Beta, pg. 29 and 30) about what the crescent is meant to represent and my assertion that it should face the other way would make more sense. Again, I think I recall there was some talk about this at convention as some logos have the crescent facing left and others right. Though, I'm a little nervous to post the specific reasoning on the thread as I don't want to accidentally tread into ritual area. I'll PM you with what I'm talking about. Let's just suffice it to say that our crest shows the crescent facing to the left.....

navane
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by gphiangel624

Anyone have the info for the St. Louis alums so we can order more?

I posted the link to the St. Louis Alumnae site above.

http://www.stlgammaphibeta.org/

smiles1418
02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
so did we make a decision on the direction of the crescent... i know we should discuss it too much... because of the significance... but my CLC told me that it should face the left... just wanting to double check the accuracy on that one

navane
02-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually, SmartBlondeGPhB, and I discusssed it in PM and we agreed that a waxing crescent moon, facing left, is the correct direction. ;)

nyrdrms
02-14-2005, 09:02 PM
To the left is correct.

SmartBlondeGPhB
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Yep.....

I was having a bit of a disconnect between what my fingers were doing (a backwards "c") and what my brain was registering as my fingers doing (a "c")........;)

You would think by now I would have learned not to post things when I'm tired and/or haven't had my caffeine.

Or can I just blame it on old age??????:D :D :D

navane
02-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB

Or can I just blame it on old age??????:D :D :D

That's ok... just have some prunes and a nice nap and everything will be just fine. ;) j/k

SmartBlondeGPhB
02-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by navane
That's ok... just have some prunes and a nice nap and everything will be just fine. ;) j/k

PRUNES????? Not on your life, those things are disgusting!

BUT, a nap I will take any day.........:D :D :D

It's amazing how when we are kids and are given time to take a nap EVERY DAY, we fight it. But when we are adults, we would kill for a daily nap...........

PGHLady
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by navane
I read in a public Gamma Phi document (The Legacy of Gamma Phi Beta, pg. 29 and 30)

Kelly,

I'm only asking because you use the word "public"...

Is "The Legacy of Gamma Phi Beta" available online or only in print? As shown in my signature below, I research the open/public (not secret!) aspects of GLOs. While GLO websites are helpful, there is often not enough prose - i.e., compelling storytelling - to really bring the founding and the founders to life. I have never been able to find any sort of public book like this about any sorority... even just one would be wonderful.

Do you, or does anyone else, know where I can see a copy of this publication or some other historical record?

Naturally, if no one replies I will assume that this request is unwelcome and won't ask again. From what I've gathered from reading posts at GC, GLO members have good reason to be wary of such requests from non-members.

Have a good weekend!

PGHLady

SmartBlondeGPhB
02-18-2005, 03:45 PM
The book that Kelly talks about is available for us to purchase from our headquarters. I am going to guess that it is not available to non-members, but you can contact our headquarters and they will be able to tell you. 303-799-1874

PGHLady
02-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much!

navane
02-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I'm sorry, I hope I wasn't using confusing terminology. I was given a copy of that book to use for my new member training. I refer to it as being "public" because:

a) I was not an initiated Gamma Phi at the time of receipt. Since one would not give a "secret" book to people who are NOT members, it seems reasonable to me to conclude that it does not contain any ritual information (and it doesn't).

b) I was not instructed that the book was to be "kept secret".

c) I've seen several copies up for sale on eBay.

Please let me clarify. This is a history book. It describes the founders, Syracuse University, the different award pins, Gamma Phi through the decades, etc. Trust me, it isn't *that* exciting. LOL (lots of pictures of ladies having luncheons and bake sales).

flour_girl82
08-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Above posts are correct, in that the proper way for our crescent to face is open to the left.

If anyone would still like to know why we are the waxing moon please feel free to email me.

Cheers,

flour_girl82@yahoo.ca