PDA

View Full Version : handsome vs. good looking vs. cute

AznSAE
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
okay ladies, i have a question for you. what is the difference, if there is any, between handsome, good looking, and cute? i usally get the handsome and cute comments, but not the good looking one. i am not a sexy beetch. :)

Taualumna
11-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Handsome: Old fashioned, well dressed, sophisticated. Metro-ish, but more classical looking

Good-looking: Someone who is more than pleasant to look at.

Cute: Adorable...usually referring to someone young. You wouldn't, for example, say that Harrison Ford is "cute" (at least I won't...he's an attractive older man, but he's not "cute").

KillarneyRose
11-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by AznSAE
i am not a sexy beetch. :)

There now, I'm sure you're just being modest :)

Not sure how to describe the handsome v. good looking v. cute thing, although taualumna's descriptions were pretty on. I can give you examples, though, of who (IMO) would be what:

Handsome: Pierce Brosnan, George Clooney

Good Looking: Antonio Bandaras, Brad Pitt

Cute: Tobey McGuire (sp?), Ashton Kutcher

smiley21
11-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Taualumna
Handsome: Old fashioned, well dressed, sophisticated. Metro-ish, but more classical looking

Good-looking: Someone who is more than pleasant to look at.

Cute: Adorable...usually referring to someone young. You wouldn't, for example, say that Harrison Ford is "cute" (at least I won't...he's an attractive older man, but he's not "cute").

excellent definitions. i would think of Harrison Ford as handsome. i prefer 'handsome' over 'cute' and 'good looking' anyday.

AGDee
11-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I think of handsome as more distinguished and sophisticated, where cute is more of the "boy next door", clean cut, cutie pie (like Tom Cruise with that boyish grin of his). Personally, I'm more attracted to cute than to handsome. Good looking is anybody better than average.. more general and less used. Gorgeous is the best.. like one look and WOW! I'm going to faint!

Dee

ETA: One of my best friends goes more for Studly: blue collarish/construction worker/rugged type. They do nothing for me though. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

Munchkin03
11-27-2004, 12:14 AM
I think it's by age:

My father--handsome. Distinguished.
My man--good-looking. Has the potential to be handsome later on, but still has a fresh look.
My nephew--cute.

_Opi_
11-27-2004, 04:06 PM
My definitions for each category are:

Handsome: Charming, maybe has good looks but that's not what makes him attractive, old fashioned, dresses well

Goodlooking: objectively about looks, features well put together, definately not referring to personality here..

Cute: temporary...crush maybe.

smiley21
11-27-2004, 04:35 PM
i forgot about gorgeous. when i think of 'gorgeous' i think of someone who is unattainable. although when i meet 'the one', i will think he is gorgeous, handsome, cute, goodlooking, and more!

polarpi
11-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AGDee
I think of handsome as more distinguished and sophisticated, where cute is more of the "boy next door", clean cut, cutie pie (like Tom Cruise with that boyish grin of his). Personally, I'm more attracted to cute than to handsome. Good looking is anybody better than average.. more general and less used. Gorgeous is the best.. like one look and WOW! I'm going to faint!

Dee

ETA: One of my best friends goes more for Studly: blue collarish/construction worker/rugged type. They do nothing for me though. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

I completely agree with Dee on this one. I also think it depends from each person what their definition of cute/handsome/good-looking/gorgeous is. What I might think as cute may be someone's good-looking or handsome, and what they think as cute may be my gorgeous! :)

FAB*SpiceySpice
11-29-2004, 02:02 PM
My take on these are:

Handsome: Classic nice looks, universally appealing (sp?), maybe your friends don't all like him or are even attracted to him but no one can deny the fact that he just LOOKS good, to everyone. He's hot.

Good looking: I see this as everyone's own personal choice, the kind of guy you really want to make out with and you could just sit and stare at them the whole night and be happy. Usually though my friend and I don't agree on good looking; unique factors to you make you good looking to me but really unattractive to my best friend. This probably makes no sense...sorry.

Cute: This is the guy that I love, he's a good friend, but I'd never date/kiss/touch with a ten foot pole. And that makes him cute. I honestly believe that girl and guy friends on at least some level find the other attractive, or cute, even if no one would ever admit it. Or maybe it's b/c I know these boys so well and know everything wonderful about them and that makes them cute. Who knows. But cute is not how I describe someone I am interested in.

AlphaGamDiva
11-30-2004, 02:59 PM
handome:

http://www.carygrant.net/fotogallery/portraits1/1-p1.jpg

good looking:

http://www.bestofewan.com/1120_-_-4a/BoEM_124.jpg

cute:

http://always.ejwfiles.net/images/celebx8.jpg

sorry these are huge, but ya know. ;)

SmartBlondeGPhB
12-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by AznSAE
okay ladies, i have a question for you. what is the difference, if there is any, between handsome, good looking, and cute? i usally get the handsome and cute comments, but not the good looking one. i am not a sexy beetch. :)

A friend in HS always said "cute describes a puppy dog".........