PDA

View Full Version : Prince is back!

c&c1913
05-17-2000, 09:24 AM
I was watching the news this morning and I just heard that "The Artist" is going back to his real name Prince, just as I was actually starting to call him the Artist. Anyway, whatever name he chooses I still love his music! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

Diva6
05-17-2000, 11:44 AM
The announcement spurred a nice response from my local radio stations. I drove in to work listening to at least six of my favorite Prince songs! But the funny things is I had always called him "Prince" even when he had changed his name...

DableST_1
05-17-2000, 01:57 PM
WHAT?!! Is Prince really going back to his name? I agree with you C&C1913 and Diva6 THAT'S GREAT!!! Even after he changed his name, I still called him Prince. I LOVE his music, and I hope that he continues to make music, and don't change his style. For example have anyone heard that Micheal Jackson is coming back for his "last" album feat. Puff Daddy, M&M, and Foxy? I mean Mike COME ON!!!!! If you want to continue making music, then don't try to perp, like you're hip to hard rap!!! Let's take Prince for example, I know you guyz heard of DeAngelo's "How Does It Feel", now I don't know if I am the only one who feels this way, but doesn't that song sound like a song that prince would make and sing? (especially the screaming part).

That's just my opinion.

Oh yeah, I have a question for sorors and sisterfriends, have anyone heard about Brandy marrying Kobe Briant or is that just a rumor?

c&c1913
05-17-2000, 02:16 PM
I have also heard about Kobe and Brandy, but I don't know if it's true. D'Angelo does remind me of Prince with the screaming part because Prince is always screaming about something in his songs!
Now as for the other MJ going hip hop, http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif this is a must see and a must hear. And did you say his "last" album??? Too Short said the same thing and how many albums has he made or appeared on since his retirement?? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Every Woman's Dream is to Wear that Infamous Crimson and Cream.

aspiration
05-17-2000, 04:20 PM
Hello Ladies,
I also hear about "Prince/The Artist/Prince" going back to being called "Prince" http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif. That was the big talk on the radio station here this morning on the drive to work. I also heard something about him throwing a big party for his birthday in Paisley (sp?) Park sometime in June. Did anyone else hear about that?
By the way, what is going on with Kobe and Brandy? I was listening to the radio at work and I think I heard that they may be getting married? Anyone know the scoop, enlighten me.....please http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif

Diva6
05-17-2000, 04:56 PM
Kobe is alledgedly engaged to his girlfriend, not Brandy. I think they dated back in the day but she had some type of hang up about him. And then once he became a star she was once more interested but it was too late. But that thing about Michael Jackson is too much!!!! I can only imagine what a song with him and Foxxy Brown would sound like!!

kissy324
05-17-2000, 08:05 PM
I never stopped calling "the Artist" Prince. He's always been Prince to me. On the radio station, Prince said, in an interview, that he decided to change his name back because someone called him 'Prince' and he stated it felt good to hear that name again.

As far as Brandy and Kobe are concerned, she should have held onto him when she had him. She started sweatin' him when he blew up as a basketball player. Now she wants a brotha' back. Whatever....

Spr99_Diva
05-18-2000, 01:06 PM
Actually, He changed his name (to that symbol) because under his contract with Warner Bros, Warner Bros had exclusive rights to the name.

He changed his name back to Prince because his contract with Warner Bros expired and he can legally use it now.

Ms.CrimsonCream
05-20-2000, 09:19 PM
I am SOOOOOOOO sorry that I have been away from the boards lately.

Anyway, Spr99_Diva is right and you can read more about it here (http://www.cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/16/prince.returns.ap/index.html). It also gives the detalis on the tours at Paisley Park (June 7-13) that was mentioned in a previous post.

How do you all feel about Time Warner "owning" the name even though it is his birth given? Do you feel it is right?

Spr99_Diva
05-23-2000, 11:46 AM
Well, technically it isn't "right" but Prince was the one who signed the contract. If he had a problem with it, then he should have used another name.

Most of the time, when artists first get signed, they are starving for a record deal. There was no way for him to foresee the problems that went on with Warner Bros.

I think the same thing happened with Will Smith (the can't use the name Fresh Prince anymore)

CrimsonTide4
05-26-2001, 05:05 PM
I received it this morning in an e-mail and wanted to pass it along to the rest of the GC family.

It may be hard to believe, but the singer who once
provoked shock waves with his X-rated lyrics has sworn
off cursing and is preaching about the importance of
virtue in the May edition of Gotham magazine.

Prince, who is now a Jehovah's Witness, said that
``when you use those (curse) words, you call up all
the anger, all the negatives times the word has been
used before - you bring it toward yourself. Why would
you want that?''

Prince also told the magazine that teens need more God
in their lives.

``When I look at the violence, I wonder where the
parents are, but also where is God in their lives? A
kid is an open computer ready for programming. Some
weird relationships happen, smoking too early and
sex.''

Jehovah's Witnesses are an apocalyptic group that
interprets the Bible differently than traditional
Christian organizations.
----
Other famous black Jehovah Witnesses

Venus Williams,
Serena Williams
Michael Jackson,
Latoya Jackson,
Janet Jackson,
Damon Wayans,
Marlon Wayans,
Keenan Wayans,
Shawn Wayans,
Gloria Naylor (wrote "Women of Brewster Place")

------------------
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/elefant.gif #4 Spring 1997
Omicron Theta
Wittenberg University////__\\\\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He who asks questions cannot avoid the answers.

Rain does not fall on one roof alone.

Words are like eggs: when they are hatched they have wings.

Advise and counsel him; if he does not listen, let adversity teach him.

[This message has been edited by CrimsonTide4 (edited May 26, 2001).]

99melodies
05-27-2001, 02:26 PM
most of the time I called him Prince anyway so thats GREAT! I seen him on TV and he still looks as PRETTY as ever...I am jealous!

Now as far as I know..Phil Jackson and Shaq both commented and said that they were content with Kobe who recently married that chic he was engaged to...so I was under the impression that he already married her. I think the Brandy thing is just a rumor

Just my tidbit..

------------------
As always...the inevitable, the divine, the epitome of womanhood!

the411
05-28-2001, 06:35 PM
His mama named him Roger,
I'ma call him Roger.

And I'm Out!

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE