PDA

View Full Version : Women in Locals and AI

KSUViolet06
10-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I have a question. I'm not talking about women whose local affiliated with an NPC after they graduated. I've heard of women who are in locals who want to AI after graduation. But, in doing so, wouldn't that be hurtful to the local? I mean you're active and then you want to join another org after graduation? And if you do, do you still consider yourself a member of the local? I'm confused on the subject.

PenguinTrax
10-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I think it's a personal decision and not a 'slam' against the local org.

The person in question may be living far away from her campus area and have no local alumnae. She may still support the local in a variety of ways, but intensely miss the sisterhood she had in college.

Alternately there may not have been any NPC groups on the campus and that was always a dream.

It is possible to have enough love for more than one organization - and noone would feel slighted.

MTSUGURL
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Not necessarily JocelynC. Not all locals have alumnae opportunities for helping out with recruitment, phianthropy, etc. My sorority has no alum program whatsoever - I've tried to start one and the interest simply wasn't there. Phi Chi is pretty much looked at now as a "college only" thing. Not officially of course, and we do have 2 alum that show up every once in a blue moon. Because of this, some women may want to go the AI route so they can offer support to an organization in ways that only alum can.

Tom Earp
10-07-2004, 04:50 PM
PenguinTrax said it very well.

Manytimes or not, Locals are very strong on a Campus and do have a strong Alum backing from having been there for a very long time.

But as was said, the rub comes from someone who has moved far away and there is little if any contact with the Local Sorority.

While they may want to AI with a National Soro. and it may hurt feelings, that is a decision that must be made by the individual.

Remember, AI is not a sure fire way to Affiliate with a National Sorority, some do and some dont. Those that do have very specific regulations on joining that way.

Example:

Delta Rho at PSU, Ks was started with the help of LXA Chapter there as the women did not want to join the Local National Soros.

After they became a pretty strong group, they were offered an affiliation with Phi Mu. They turned it down and are no longer there.

Not saying anything bad about Locals, but the future is with a National Organization for just surviving all of the Risk Managment Problems that there are today. Cost, expense, Insurance, Campus Adm. feelings.

MTSUGirl, did you ever wonder if it is worth it?

Well, the feeling of being able to go across country and find Sisters all over.

I got that feeling at General Assembly when I finally met GC LXA there and Brothers from all over who knew other Brothers that I knew or have had contact on GC with! That is a big thing, We are not alone and can rely on others to be beside us or help us.

MTSUGURL
10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Tom - do you mean do I wonder if it is worth it to be in a local?

Yes. I love my sorority, and while I hope and pray that we affiliate before I graduate, if we don't I will still be thankful for the experiences I've had. Because I rushed so late at my campus, I was more unlikely to get a bid to a national. Phi Chi was an option that I explored and accepted. I will always be a Phi Chi whether we affiliate or not, or whether I am accepted as an alum initiate or not in this sense: it is a part of my history. Even if I don't practice those tradtions anymore, I still have them in my memories and in my heart. It has grown things in me that wouldn't have been there otherwise.
However, I want the feeling of sisterhood all over the country/world; I want to be able to benefit college women from my sorority after I graduate. I come from a campus where locals aren't that strong - we're the only one, and we're very small, but do participate in as much as we can - and I see us affiliating as a way to make sure that when I come back to MTSU years from now, I have a better chance of my "home" still standing than I do now.

Did I answer the question you asked?

KSUViolet06
10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the insight MTSUGURL! I've often wondered whether some local women wonder "what if" or wish they could have a national sorority experience. Best of luck in your journey.

Tom Earp
10-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Crystal, not at all.

I still hold my Local Beta Chis Brothers nearest and dearest to my Heart for what a bunch of GUYs did, worked and strived for to attain what we did and have been doing it for almost 40 years.

Sometimes I regret not trying to make The Local into a National but it is very hard in this day and age as we well know. I have never looked back and am glad that I have found so many LXA Brothers across the country and met 12 GC LXA at our General Assembly which unto it self was fantastic for me. That being a member of a National is more world opening than as a local.

Againn, I am not saying locals are bad. Please dont take it that way.

But, the question is, what is the future for a Local on a campus that may be strong with Nationals, backing, insurance and risk management concerns if there is a problem.

I was proud to wear the Local Badge I designed when I wore it to G A this last July and one of the Grand High Officers pointed it out to some members there.

I had never worn it since 1966, but will never take it off and keep along but below My LXA Badge.

Look to the future and make a decision. Will you be there in a few years as a Local? Will you affiliate with a National and still have the rememberences and History along with an afilliation?

Delta Rho died at My Alma Mater and the only ones who remember them are some of them who married LXA who are Alums now.

Lot to think about for sure, but you still have time to see what is the choice that needs to maybe made.

just a thought!

MTSUGURL
10-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Not offended at all Tom, especially knowing your affection toward local groups. I hate the thought of Phi Chi just dying off one day, which is why I want us to affiliate. Every time I go into one of the chapter rooms for Panhellenic meetings and see their composite from when they were a local, I'm reminded that for us to affiliate with a national is the best way to honor and "preserve" Phi Chi in a manner of speaking. If the choice was mine alone it would already be made; as it stands, some of the other girls and I intend to call a vote next semester to request that we be allowed.

33girl
10-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Not offended at all Tom, especially knowing your affection toward local groups. I hate the thought of Phi Chi just dying off one day, which is why I want us to affiliate. Every time I go into one of the chapter rooms for Panhellenic meetings and see their composite from when they were a local, I'm reminded that for us to affiliate with a national is the best way to honor and "preserve" Phi Chi in a manner of speaking. If the choice was mine alone it would already be made; as it stands, some of the other girls and I intend to call a vote next semester to request that we be allowed.

I know you probably know this, but just because you affiliate with a national doesn't mean that the chapter won't ever die off. There are locals that have outlived nationals on campuses, and vice versa. There are locals that have existed for years and then died out a semester after going national. It all depends on your campus situation and what the members put into it.

MTSUGURL
10-13-2004, 10:28 AM
I know it can still happen that the chapter would close, but then I would still have connections that I want with alumnae chapters, which I don't have now. There is still a permanence even if the chapter did close.

Tom Earp
10-13-2004, 05:53 PM
33girl.

I think you are right and can be proven on GC!

But the width and the breadth of what a Naional compared to a Local can be.

I think that may have been the main question here.

To True, a Local is Centralized only while a National is of a much wider scope.

Go to LXA Thread and look at the Pictures of Our General Assembly and see LXA Brothers there from GC who have never ment before.

That is the Scope I am refering to. :cool:

Yes, there are Locals who have been around along time, and I have never had a problem with Locals as you know, I am just thinking in the peramiters of the posting.

"What To DO"?

Granted, Many Locals Have History, but what is the Scope? Who is aware of them?