PDA

View Full Version : AI more difficult that rushing?

kddani
10-06-2004, 10:54 PM
With all the AI talk going on lately....

A lot of GCers say to PNMs who don't get a bid while going through undergraduate, don't worry, you can always AI.

YOU CANNOT ALWAYS AI.

I'd put a lot of money on saying that AI is, in fact, much more difficult that rushing as an undergraduate. A lot of orgs aren't even open to it except in very special circumstances. The PNAM has to be VERY special. There's no quota, no need to get to any sort of "total". The potential member REALLY has to have something to offer. You can't just be a cute girl with a nice personality- you really have to have something to offer. You have to be dedicated.

Basically, all i'm saying, point blank, is that alumnae initiation IS NOT an alternative to rush. It is a very difficult process reserved for very special people.

I'm not trying to stomp on anyone, I don't know any PNAMs personally, but this is a rampant falsehood around here. AI IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE TO RUSH.

ms_gwyn
10-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I would tend to agree with Dani on this but also I have to add something.

Most of the PNAMs are older women who have established careers and been out of college for a while.

Many of us have some type of involvement with NPC GLOS in college and for whatever reason it did not work out.

Also GLOs have specific requirements to AIs and how long they have been out of college, etc.

So no it is NOT a quick fix for not getting into a sorority while in college. Most if not all will not take collegiates (undergraduates), period.

It is also a much different process, it not like Rush/Recruitment at all, if its like any experience you can relate to, perhaps its like NPHC Membership Intake.

adduncan
10-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Thank you, kddani. Co-sign every last word.

Pursuing AI in the NPC is *work*. To build on kddani's description, there is no "green book", no structure, no Pi Chis (or whatever your campus called them) no release figures, no quota, no total, no scheduling, nothing that makes the melee that is NPC collegiate recruitment function. Unlike collegiate chapters, interest in and knowledge of alumna recruitment varies not only between chapters, but even within a chapter. That's assuming we're talking about an org that has a procedure for it. 3 NPC GLOs have none, and several others have **very** strict criteria that most PNAMs on GC aren't going to meet.

Anyone who does undertake this is not merely signing up, and making sure they wear the right outfit and say the right thing. There is real soul-searching involved, deciding *why* you are pursuing an NPC org, what you can contribute here, that you cannot elsewhere. And if you think having your local Panhel check out your GPA is taking a close look, you haven't seen anything yet. Expect and be willing to have your entire life's CV picked over with a fine-tooth comb so that the org is sure they have a match. I dare say there are more similarities w/ the NPHC intake process, from what I've researched.

I am no less than utterly blessed, more than I think I deserve, to have found my home. It was painful at times, but worth it - but only because I thought it through as much as I could and counted the cost before jumping in.

--add

KSUViolet06
10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
It's MUCH harder than rushing. It requires alot more patience. Rush can be difficult, but the nature of AI is different. You're joining for the ENTIRE org. not just b/c XYZ is the most popular or has the prettiest girls. It's devoid of the petty things that cloud PNM's decisions.

Also, ALL the PNAM's really want it for all the right reasons. They have waited years for the opportunity to be sorority women b/c they didn't get the chances that many of us got to join in undergrad.

The women have to be truly special and the embodiment of the ideals of the sorority.

MTSUGURL
10-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Here's the situation I'll face: rushed NPC sororities on campus as a nontraditional student, didn't get a bid, now part of a local, praying we affiliate before I graduate, but knowing that if I don't, I will pursue AI when I graduate because of some wonderful women I've met along the way and because I want lifelong ties to other women. Knowing that this may be the case, I've started trying to prepare myself for the process. I know this will be harder than recruitment, and I don't know what it would be like as opposed to colonizing if we have the opportunity. I don't look at it as "Well, I can always be an alum initiate" as some people do - even my roommate has made that statement. I look at it as possibly a necessary part of realizing a personal goal. I've been luckier so far than most if this is the route I end up trying - I have the examples here to follow and know the steps to take. To quote League of Their Own - "If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

LPIDelta
10-07-2004, 01:05 AM
I agree with what everyone has said so far---based on the stories here, it's tough! While I certainly appreciate that groups should be thorough in their selection of AIs, I don't wonder if our natural skepticism of why a woman would want to do this is leading to a process that maybe shouldn't be so complicated.

That aside--as more national organizations are looking for new revenue sources, we will see many more groups being very proactive in their quest for AIs. In a recent survey, less than 10% of college students said there was a very good chance they would go Greek while in college. And approximately 41% of undergraduates today are age 25 or older. The face of college students has changed--and to meet our membership needs, I believe more groups will be looking at this "untraditional" source for membership.

Just my two cents!

KSUViolet06
10-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by kddani

I'm not trying to stomp on anyone, I don't know any PNAMs personally, but this is a rampant falsehood around here. AI IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE TO RUSH.

Might I add that aside from NPHC grad intake, I *never* knew there was a such thing until I found this site.

tinydancer
10-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Easier than rush????NO

Faster than rush???NO

Benefits of finally becoming an AI???PRICELESS

It's a long, frustrating journey in many cases, but definitely worth it in the end!

33girl
10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Heather17
That aside--as more national organizations are looking for new revenue sources, we will see many more groups being very proactive in their quest for AIs. In a recent survey, less than 10% of college students said there was a very good chance they would go Greek while in college. And approximately 41% of undergraduates today are age 25 or older. The face of college students has changed--and to meet our membership needs, I believe more groups will be looking at this "untraditional" source for membership.

Rather than nontrad students doing AI, we need to educate our chapters (and our alumnae) that the collegiate sorority member is not necessarily a single woman age 18-22.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not, but being older doesn't make you an instant AI candidate - if you're an undergraduate student, you should go through regular rush.

valkyrie
10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
It's about time somebody said this.

I'd like to add, that in addition to the fact that alumnae initiation is a more involved and difficult process than collegiate rush, NOT EVERYBODY IS AN APPROPRIATE CANDIDATE FOR ALUMNAE INITIATION. A woman is a good candidate if she is dedicated to making a difference and volunteering to help the local alumnae and collegiate chapters(s) and the organization as a whole. The fact that someone has always wanted to go Greek or got cut by everybody during rush is not a good reason. In general, being cute or nice might be enough to get someone a bid in college, but it's not enough for someone to be offered alumna membership.

The average alumnae initiation pursuit can take months, if not years. If the process is done well, a potential new alumna member will meet many alumnae in different situations and they will spend quite a bit of time getting to know each other, unlike rush where people spend just minutes or hours together.

LPIDelta
10-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
Rather than nontrad students doing AI, we need to educate our chapters (and our alumnae) that the collegiate sorority member is not necessarily a single woman age 18-22.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not, but being older doesn't make you an instant AI candidate - if you're an undergraduate student, you should go through regular rush.

I agree wholeheartedly--it was not my intention to say that non-traditional students should do AI. My point was that AI may become more of a norm with many organizations in order to take advantage of the revenue and volunteer resources that may come with those kinds of potential new members.

honeychile
10-07-2004, 12:59 PM
There's not one statement above with which I don't agree!

I've read over our rules for AI, and trust me, it's not for the faint of heart!

navane
10-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd like to add my comments to the mix. It's one thing to have a sorority sister spend five minutes during recruitment asking you about your major and hometown.......

..... it's another thing to face a room full of International Officers just a couple of hours before initiation and be interviewed about what I expect to contribute to Gamma Phi Beta. Yeah.....you better believe it. They asked me what I had already been doing for Gamma Phi and/or what I planned to be doing as a member of my local alumna chapter. It's not like I could look those women in the eye and say, "Well, it didn't work out during formal rush and was told that I 'could always do AI', so here I am".

kddani said, "The potential member REALLY has to have something to offer. You can't just be a cute girl with a nice personality- you really have to have something to offer. You have to be dedicated." Absolutely! Both my big sister Cele (GPhiBLtColonel) and the International Officers made that very clear. They were expressing the expectation that I won't just get my badge and then disappear.

Not all of the NPC groups offer AI....and many of the ones that do, only do so under exceptional conditions. Of the ones which have more open programs for accepting AIs, even those aren't exactly a walk in the park either (as evidenced by my experience).

.....Kelly :)

MelodyCat
10-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Co-sign, co-sign, co-sign!

It's not for the faint of heart, it's not for those who aren't dedicated, and it's not for those who aren't committed.

You've not only got to want it, you've got to say why, and you've got to *shine* there. It's not an easy in by any means.

blueangel
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Very good posts!
Something else I'd like to add...

I think most of us who hope to become AIs have different reasons than those that we may have had when we were in college.

Now that I'm out of school many years, have experienced life, and am set in my career.. it's all about what I can do for the sorority.

I'm interested in AI because I want to help mentor the younger women as they prepare to begin their career and as they set out on their life journey. I also deeply believe in the philanthropy of one particular group I hope to reconnect with. And of course, it's about the special bond of friendship... that means giving as well. To have a good friend, you must be a good friend.

Tom Earp
10-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I think everyone has made great and insightful posts on AI.

It may not be for everybody.

There may be some GLOs that do not do it while others are more receptive. I think a post listed at the top somewhere lists those that do and those that dont.

IS AI easier, not really as some have said.

Is the time envolved shorter than some have said.

One of the best points is the fact that Women who have AIed have worked harder, longer and do for reasons other than to just have Letters in their Signature. They are interested in doing something to give back and be part of something bigger than just a humdrum. They are somewhat driven to be a part of and give to more than just themselves.

Isnt that What Greek Life is being all about?

blueangel thank you for the neat post and explanation of why you

are doing and for what reason that you are interested.

Many Women have AIed before GC came into being and have found out more about AI and have been tremendous New Members.

While not an AI myself, and Most NIC do not, I started a Local so I do know how hard it can be and the work and feeling that goes into it.

cutiepatootie
10-21-2004, 06:54 PM
It can be hard! hard! hard!

I tried many yrs trying to crack the code moreless to gain admittance to a Sorority.

I tried in college: I wanted to be a Phi Mu...wrong place and time unfortunately..my grades and the fact they closed down at my college.

so i was committed to trying AI and tried for yrs to figure out how to do this when no one at that time knew what AI was all about

I gave up for a while to re-try again. At that point i found Alpha Phi and it was meant to be. I contacted A PHI and that same day they contacted me back and got me in touch that SAME DAY with the area Alum Chapter President and 4 month slater i was initated

so from start to finish to join a GLO from 1994 to 2002

It isn't for the faint of heart
you have to be committed
you have to be prepared for heart ache and rejection
and you got to want it from your whole heart

I wanted to be in a sorority ever since i was a little girl when i use to see my older female southern belle aunts and cousins wearing their letters.

So if you are serious about AI it can happen in matter of months and it can happen in a few yrs ...just depends how much you are dedicated to the idea of it

James
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I am going to respectfully disagree with several of the opinions presented here.

1. The AI process has nothing in common with the NPHC grad process except the most superficial resemblamce. To compare the two is to insult the NPHC process and lend a glamour to AI it doesn't warrant, or need.

2. AI is not hard at all. In fact its really easy. As long as you fit within the category AI was originally designed.

AI was created for a national organization to be able to choose to add members as special initiates that weren't normal undergrads.

Specifically, mothers of undergrads, graduated colony members, local sorority alums of new chapters, faculty advisors, other helpful advisors of chapters etc.

IT also allows the special intiation of "name droppers" or people with some dewgree of fame that it would look good to the national to have on its roles.

To a lesser degree it also provided a way for alumnae chapters to recruit people into the group that had been really helpful to their existing operations.

If you fall under any of those special initiate categories, AI is a breeze. Easy as Pie.

And almost every single group has a mechanism for allowing those types of special initiates.

So what you could say, is that in some ways AI is supposed to be a recognition of service already rendered to the sorority.

Where AI gets hard for people, is when you don't fit into a category where the national has sought you out specifically.

Where AI is hard, is when you don't have any dealings with the sorority, aren't working with any chapter in a service role. . . and well to sum up, have no personal relationship with the sorority, its chapters or members at all.

In that case it can be a tedious process because you have to contact them out of the cold and try and bend a process to help you that wasn't for the most part designed with you in mind.

Nothing else about it is "hard" in the way that word is commonly used. And to say that, diminishes the undergrad that pledged in college. Her selection was even harder because she had to deal with a directly competitive process.

sugar and spice
10-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Dear all the men who have replied to this thread,

Since you have no experience in either collegiate sorority rush, let alone alumnae initiation, I think you are speaking out of your asses. Until you have experienced at least one or the other, it's very difficult to ascertain which is more difficult.

ANYWAY

I think that in most cases, AI is more difficult than collegiate rush, and it should be. From the women I've spoken to, there is a LOT more to it than there was too my rush process. There are, of course, the handful of cases where AI is very very simple -- just as there are the handful of cases where a girl goes through sorority rush and gets invited back to every house, every round. These are not the norm.

I think it's also very difficult to compare the two just because the nature of the different rush processes is so -- well, different. Approaching one group at a time versus rushing several at once makes it hard to tell which is more "difficult."

Jill1228
10-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Sugarandspice,
You are everything nice! Tell it sister!
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/35_3.gif

Sorry BOYS, but unless you can walk a mile in our stilettos, you need to stop talking out of your butts.

You can't even compare the 2 experiences (ie collegiate vs AI), don't even try! Both are as difficult and they both need to be respected

You think it is easy? Talk to CutiePie, DGMarie, MelodyCat, tinydancer, adduncan (when she comes back from her long awaited initiation), etc...there are quite a few of us who busted our butts on here and to discount our experiences it downright disrespectful :mad:

Please, check yourself

Originally posted by sugar and spice
Dear all the men who have replied to this thread,

Since you have no experience in either collegiate sorority rush, let alone alumnae initiation, I think you are speaking out of your asses. Until you have experienced at least one or the other, it's very difficult to ascertain which is more difficult.

ANYWAY

I think that in most cases, AI is more difficult than collegiate rush, and it should be. From the women I've spoken to, there is a LOT more to it than there was too my rush process. There are, of course, the handful of cases where AI is very very simple -- just as there are the handful of cases where a girl goes through sorority rush and gets invited back to every house, every round. These are not the norm.

I think it's also very difficult to compare the two just because the nature of the different rush processes is so -- well, different. Approaching one group at a time versus rushing several at once makes it hard to tell which is more "difficult."

ADqtPiMel
10-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by James

2. AI is not hard at all. In fact its really easy. As long as you fit within the category AI was originally designed.

And you know this how?

When I went through recruitment as a freshman, I didn't put forth any real work. All I had to do was show up, look cute, and carry on a conversation, and I got into the sorority I wanted. From what I've heard from the GC AIs, their experience involved one hell of a lot more work than mine did.

I know that it's your thing to play devil's advocate in every thread, but I really think that the women who've been through AI would know a little bit better than you.

KTHXBI.

SmartBlondeGPhB
10-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Have to agree with my Panhel friends on this, you don't know jack shit to put it a bit more bluntly.........

ms_gwyn
10-31-2004, 01:14 AM

1. The AI process has nothing in common with the NPHC grad process except the most superficial resemblamce. To compare the two is to insult the NPHC process and lend a glamour to AI it doesn't warrant, or need.

I agree with everyone and I wanted to add something......

When I stated that the AI process can be related to NPHC Intake process I merely meant that discretion is the watchword of this process, also just because you are invited to some meetings and learn more about the group you are interested does NOT mean that you will get an invitation to membership. PERIOD!!!!

also to #2, BULL****

go sit down somewhere please and just observe the conversation. Until you walk in my shoes in this instance, you will not know the joy and pain that I've been through in this process.

midwesterngirl
10-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Okay James.Despite your disclaimer of respectful disgreement, your post was too simplistic and more than a little patronizing.Are you suggesting that someone who has a difficult time of the AI process, simply isn't good enough?

For many that do AI,its more now than mothers or housemothers or women who have,as you said,already rendered service to the sorority.Many groups encourage members to invite friends and relatives to meetings to encourage the AI process. These people are going in blind and have to sell themselves to the chapter.The members don't know this person from Adam.They have to show the members that they are worthy to be a part of them.That isn't going to happen with one meeting.Often pnams are invited along to activities for months before they are told that they don't fit in and won't be extended the opportunity for a bid.It takes more than that one sponsor liking you to be extended a bid.You have to have the unanimous backing of the alumnae chapter.

Also pnams are often dealing with people who are highly suspicious of their intentions.I think the surge in alumna initiates is a relatively new thing.Pnams are often up against older,powerfully entrenched woman who don't quite understand what the pnams want from them. That can be quite an obstacle.

I had a very very easy AI experience.It was seven months from initial contact to initiation.I experienced no bumps in the road what so ever.I consider myself very lucky.In a perfect world your scenerio should be correct.However, to disregard what others have experienced just to fit the parameters of your opinions is just plain insulting.

AlphaSigOU
10-31-2004, 11:10 AM
Allow me to be the lone voice in the wilderness...

With very rare exceptions, it's very difficult to become an alumni initiate of Alpha Sigma Phi. Most alumni initiates are initiated by their chapter with approval from the Grand Council; in the case that the candidate was once a member of a colony or interest group that never chartered, or someone who is related to a notable Alpha Sig who did not attend a college where there is an Alpha Sig chapter become Members-at-Large, unaffiliated with any chapter. (Our current Grand Secretary, Jonathan Burns, is the son of the late Ralph Burns, longtime Grand Secretary - he's a graduate of West Point, which obviously does not have fraternities and sororities.)

We did have the case a couple of years ago when a former pledge at Radford University came back to finish his degree in his late forties and pledged Alpha Sigma Phi again, and he was initiated with a group of pledge brothers half his age.

As mentioned in other posts in this thread, AI is not a catch-all for those who missed out on the undergrad experience. It sure as hell ain't easy, as evidenced by many here who have gone through the process; some have experienced heartbreak at one attempt, but tried again and were finally successful.

It's no secret that established alumnae board members may view prospective alumnae initiates with suspicion - I betcha more than once they've been burned by more than a few members who really joined for mercenary motives, who disappeared not long after getting initiated. And I don't blame them for 'scrutineering' applicants to be sure they will contribute to the organization.

Tom Earp
10-31-2004, 11:13 AM
James, while your simplistic view seemed appropriate to you, it did not set well with many of the Ladies on GC!:)

I for one never said as a "Male" that AI was easy, in fact, I have always said it is harder than going through College Rush.

For many women who for one reason or another could not join at the College level and who have still had the calling to do this type of thing, it is very hard, time consuming, and frustrating, but when it happens very rewarding.

I have always found it very interesting what women feel and do and become before, during and after becoming AI members of each different Sorority or Fraternity. Maybe more so than Fraternies but, there have been some very productive people (Males) in Fraternities, Harry Truman being one.

He cared, and they care. I just wish I knew HST was a Brother when I knew him along with a few others at that point in time.

Sistermadly
10-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp
I just wish I knew HST was a Brother when I knew him along with a few others at that point in time.

<hijack> You knew Truman personally? That is pretty cool, Tom!</hijack>

sageofages
10-31-2004, 01:24 PM
I am going to respectfully disagree with several of the opinions presented here.

AI was created for a national organization to be able to choose to add members as special initiates that weren't normal undergrads.

Specifically, mothers of undergrads, graduated colony members, local sorority alums of new chapters, faculty advisors, other helpful advisors of chapters etc.

IT also allows the special intiation of "name droppers" or people with some dewgree of fame that it would look good to the national to have on its roles.

So what you could say, is that in some ways AI is supposed to be a recognition of service already rendered to the sorority.

Well...since your "specifically mentioned" groups include individuals pointed NOT allowed to AI into our group, I would put forth, you didn't do your due diligence in your research and have presented highly suspect and fault premises. :)

In other words.....WRONG!!! WRONG !!! WRONG!!!!

James
10-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Hmm. Let me simplify.

If you fit the profile where through your personal ties with an active chaper, an alum chapter, or the national office has resulted in them extending you a sanctioned invitation to join . . . its an "easy" process. You just have to accept and wait for an initiation time.

If you are coming on GC with no personal ties to a chapter, an alum association, or the national office and asking whcih sororiities have AI programs so that you can join one of them, you are in for a much rougher time.

Can we agree on that much ?

DGMarie
10-31-2004, 01:52 PM
I would agree on that. If you know someone ahead of time and have shown involvement prior to pursuing AI, it is easier. If you come in cold, with no prior link, shopping for a group, it is harder. I think that is fair to say.

James
10-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Excellent. Can we also agree that AI was basically intended as a way the organization could extend membership to a non-initiate that had become involved with the organization?

Originally posted by DGMarie
I would agree on that. If you know someone ahead of time and have shown involvement prior to pursuing AI, it is easier. If you come in cold, with no prior link, shopping for a group, it is harder. I think that is fair to say.

MelodyCat
10-31-2004, 02:36 PM
If you fit the profile where through your personal ties with an active chaper, an alum chapter, or the national office has resulted in them extending you a sanctioned invitation to join . . . its an "easy" process. You just have to accept and wait for an initiation time.

Those ties don't come out of nowhere for most women, though, and I think forming the ties is the hardest part of the AI pursuit.

If you've got a close friend or family member that is part of the org you're looking to join, the ties are likely there and the pieces will fall into place relatively quickly, I'd guess.

If you don't, you have to start somewhere, make the contacts, and ride it out. That's the hard part, that's the part where you really have to shine, and that's the part that also (IMO) makes or breaks you as an AI candidate.

AlumInitiateLiz
10-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Is it easy? Well, let's see--took me almost fourteen years. Tell me if THAT's easy! ;)

Liz

DGMarie
10-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Excellent. Can we also agree that AI was basically intended as a way the organization could extend membership to a non-initiate that had become involved with the organization?

I would say yes.

33girl
10-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Jill1228
You think it is easy? Talk to CutiePie, DGMarie, MelodyCat, tinydancer, adduncan (when she comes back from her long awaited initiation), etc...there are quite a few of us who busted our butts on here and to discount our experiences it downright disrespectful :mad:

Please, check yourself

That is absolutely NOT what James said. Were any of the people you mentioned longtime chapter advisors, mothers of undergrads, graduated colony members, or local sorority alums of new chapters?

If they were not, you have no reason whatsoever to be offended, which you would know if you had read past the first two lines of his #2 point.

His point is that AI IS difficult when you don't have previous ties to the sorority, because when it was originally created as an option those (longtime chapter advisors etc etc) were the only people who did it in large numbers. So now the process will of course be difficult for people not in those groups.

DGMarie gets it, please tell me some other people do too.

Sistermadly
11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 33girl
DGMarie gets it, please tell me some other people do too.

I got it. I didn't see anything wrong with what James originally said. Sure, he posted it in his usual charming style ;) , but the message was crystal clear to me. Generally speaking, if you go into the process with some experience with the organization, you should have an easier go of it. When you don't know someone and are coming in cold, be prepared for a difficult process.

My AI experience was far easier than most, and I know it wasn't typical. There are exceptions to every rule, and if I could give one piece of advice for anyone who is considering it, is to STOP READING GC THREADS about the process. Anecdotal evidence is nice, and it's always interesting, but no one should ever take those threads as the how-to manual for pursuing alumna initiation.

aopirose
11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I got it. I didn't see anything wrong with what James originally said. Sure, he posted it in his usual charming style ;) , but the message was crystal clear to me. Generally speaking, if you go into the process with some experience with the organization, you should have an easier go of it. When you don't know someone and are coming in cold, be prepared for a difficult process.

I agree with James too. My AOII experience was smooth sailing all the way. It is typical of other AIs that I have met in RL.

I have a friend who is an AOII and she invited me to Panhellenic and AOII functions all the time. I had advised a local and really missed my chapter. She was keeping me involved in Greek Life and introducing me to her other friends. One day, she asked me to join AOII because I worked with them and fit in with the AC. I was flattered because it wasn't something that I expected. I was just helping out. My 4-year anniversary is coming up soon and it is one of the best things that I have done.

Jill1228
11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I think it was the "charming way" (cough cough) it came across.

I do agree if you are in the right place at the right time and know/get in touch with the right people it is much easier. Sometimes it is sheer LUCK

Still ya gotta wait. Let me tell you if you got the "G-d gimme patience and I want it NOW" attitude, it is difficult as hell. But ya get over it and wait

Going in cold. HARD as hell. Kinda like you are 16 and looking for your first job and all you see is "experience required". How in the hell can you get a job or the experience if no one helps you get your foot in the door? So in that aspect it is tough

However if you don't do your homework (research the orgs, etc) beforehand and if you don't use DISCRETION, then you have no one to blame but yourself if it is difficult

I think we can all agree on that

GeekyPenguin
11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Have to agree with my Panhel friends on this, you don't know jack shit to put it a bit more bluntly.........

My sister is wise.

James
11-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Are you saying that the AI's that agree with me also don't know jack shit?

I am still not sure what logical basis people are using to argue with me. It seems like an emotional reaction happened over a non-emotional observation.

Edited for sense.

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
My sister is wise.

GeekyPenguin
11-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Are you saying that the AI's that agree with me also don't know jack shit?

I am still not sure what logical basis people are using to argue with me. It seems like an emotional reaction happened over a non-emotional observation.

Edited for sense.

Where is an AI who agrees with your first post?

DGMarie
11-01-2004, 10:48 PM
See 5 posts up.

I agreed with what James said. For me and my circumstances, his interpretation was accurate. Everyone is getting so fired up! :(

adduncan
11-01-2004, 11:01 PM
People are fired up because James (I like you dude, I really do, but......) there's a time to pop off at the mouth, and a time to cork it and some people think he got those confused this time.

I blew off this thread for a while because I wasn't going to let some usual GC shit-stirring ruin my day on Saturday.

While we're on the subject of "respectful disagreement" I'm throwing this into the mix.

Wrong.

My input on similarities between NPHC graduate intake and NPC AI came after several discussions w/ colleagues IRL who are active NPHC alumni/ae. They didn't feel insulted. Therefore, you, James, do not need to be a final arbiter on what is appropriate, or insulting, or whatever. You're not involved. Hence the negative reaction to your "respectful" comments.

Similarities I've noticed and discussed with the RIGHT people:

--NPC orgs often are more open to post-college women who can show (in some way) that their heart is set on THAT org and no other. NPHC approaches intake the same way. (Reference several threads on the topic right on GC.)
--As stated by Jill (hey, buddy!) numerous times in this thread alone, discretion is key. That is, you keep your preference under your hat while the org is deciding that you are a match for them. Blabbing any sooner is often considered distasteful.
--W/ NPC AI, prospective alum members are expected to document a history of community service and good character and the ability to be active in the fraternity. Ditto the NPHC orgs, at all levels.

Since the first steps in either process are most important, they are not "superficial".

I'm not going to offer any degree of agreement on anything else because of the turn the thread took: you started off with a bull-in-a-china-shop approach to this topic, knowing full well what kind of heated response you would get, then negotiated down to something more palatable. I'm not going for that today.

--add

bsp-mich24
01-16-2005, 06:43 PM
bump

Co-sign ….

Originally posted by tinydancer

Easier than rush????NO

Faster than rush???NO

Benefits of finally becoming an AI???PRICELESS
It's a long, frustrating journey in many cases, but definitely worth it in the end!

Originally posted by MelodyCat
It's not for the faint of heart, it's not for those who aren't dedicated, and it's not for those who aren't committed.

You've not only got to want it, you've got to say why, and you've got to *shine* there. It's not an easy in by any means.

The B Girl
01-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I have a lot of respect and esteem for those that are going through the AI process. From the stories I have read here on GC, it can be very difficult and time consuming. I feel bad for those people that have so much to contribute and are just waiting for the chance to become involved in a sisterhood. In my opinion, we should offer membership to ALL of those that want to be involved and that help us drive the vision of our organization.

Jennifer