PDA

View Full Version : PhoenixAzul's rush @ Otterbein

PhoenixAzul
09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I really consider my rush extraordinary. We rush in the winter, after everyone's had a quarter of college. We are all local sororities too.

First of all, I never envisioned myself rushing. I'm sort of the cynical, punked out, tomboy rower who lacks a lot of social graces. But I thought, OK, well, you have this stereotype of sorority girls, and you've met a lot of sorority girls in school..and they weren't so bad, were they? Give it a try, what can it hurt? So I signed up for recruitment.

We met with our PX's and got schedules for Open House. Open house was the LONGEST day of my life! House to house to house to house. There are 6 sororities on my campus, so it was a LONG day. But it was really exciting to meet all these new girls, and there was a good chemistry in my PX group. There were only two houses that I didn't really feel were "me". But there was one house, Tau Delta, that really stood out. The girls were just...different? They were funny, happy, and a lot more at ease with each other...I can't explain it, but I left there SO happy.

Next week, we got novelty party bids. Some girls got all 6, but I ended up with only 3. I got one from Tau Delta, and oddly enough, one each from the two houses I hadn't really fit at. But I decided, again, to keep an open mind. Novelties made my first impressions of those houses completely WRONG! I was still a little hesitant, but it was tons of fun, and I made a lot of friends there. But Tau Delta's novelty was amazing. A lot of my friends got invited there too, and the actives and alums were amazing! They had all sorts of activities and themed stuff to do, so there were a lot of different venues for getting to know the girls, not just asking "what's your major bla bla bla".

Well, after going to three novelties, I thought, OK, well, realistically, I'll probably only get one final party invite...and that's allright with me! Well....not so. And me being a dumbass didn't check myvoicemail on a regular basis. So I go to the PX meeting for final invites...and the PX's pull me aside and told me that I hadn't recieved any final party invites. That I was done. :( I was really upset! Someone who had gone into this thing pretty skeptical now was REALLY upset about not getting an invite.

So I called the Greek Life office so I could do my preference signing without the other girls. I also just wanted to clarify why I hadn't recieved one. Well, as it turns out, the PX's were supposed to tell us that could happen in the beginning. It was never printed anywhere in the rush materials either. If I had KNOWN I wouldn't have been nearly upset, but in my freshman naivate, I hadn't asked. So I did my signing, I didn't sign ONLY my number one (aka, suicide) but I signed all six sororities, in the hope that one would pick me up after quota.

That sunday, they sort through the preference cards and match up girls to the sororities. Those who DONT get matched, get a phone call. Well, I got my phone call, no big surprise there. I'd kinda made peace with it allready. So everyone was all happy n stuff and getting ready to go to the PX meeting on Monday for their bids.

Monday I had class, and then a meeting with the Dean of STudent Affairs to talk about rowing. So when I got back to my room and my roomie told me that someone from student affairs had called and insisted on leaving a voicemail, I thought it was someone from the Dean's office cancelling. Well, I checked it, and it was the Greek Life Adviser...telling me that Tau Delta, my no. 1, had offered me a bid and that if I still wanted it than I should go to my PX meeting tonight. I WAS EXTATIC!!!!!!!

I consider it a true miracle. I can't tell why I was given one after the fact, and I really don't care, but I am damn glad I'm in my house. It's been the best time of my life, and continues to be.

To Thine own Self Be True!
Tracey

KatieKate1244
09-24-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm glad everything wroked out for you in the end!

mmcat
09-24-2004, 11:24 PM
yeah....
happy endings come when you least expect...
enjoy the ride sweetie..
lol

PhoenixAzul
09-25-2004, 12:38 AM
I can't believe its going to be almost a year since I rushed! Two more months and it will mark the beginning of pledging...my first chance to have a little! *eeek!* I can't wait to hand down letters and my cat gifts and stuff! I can't wait to extend the family tree! I kinda miss pledging, as odd as that sounds...but it was a good time in my life. Stressful, but good. Being active is stressful too, but rewarding in and of itself.