PDA

View Full Version : RECOUNT RESULTS

REALITYBLACK
11-10-2000, 01:01 PM
Has anyone read the most recent statement from the Bush campaign? Well if you haven't then here it is...

James Baker, the balloting observer for Republican candidate George W. Bush, said the Bush campaign will "vigorously oppose" the recounting efforts by the campaign of Democratic challenger Al Gore. Citing "unending legal wrangling," Baker said at a news conference today that the recounting effort is "not in the best interests of the country."

~Source, CNN.com

so in OTHER WORDS...they don't want a fair election, they just want to win. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif they are not concerned about the people's decision.
It scares me that 49% of the country wantd the man that Baker represents as president although he and his campaign buddies carry this attitude and blatant disregard for the voice of the people. (which by the way is supposed to be who they represent and WORK FOR)

To all Nay sayers WHO SAYS THAT ONE VOTE DOESN'T COUNT? As of now Bush is ahead by 327 votes with all counties reported and absentees yet to be counted. However, Palm Beach County will recount again on Saturday.
I feel like this whole situation is disgusting. It really makes me question the entire U.S. election system. I was reading some aricles yesterday and citizens from other countries especially those of countries in Europe felt like the whole electoral college should be thrown out anyway and it should be by popular vote. I couldn't agree more. (Despite the fact that Al Gore is ahead in popular vote!!)When we elect governors, mayors, members of congress, etc there is no electoral college it is all done by popular vote. Why is there one for president? I know that HISTORICALLY that is the way it has been done but does that make it right? HISTORICALLY, you couldn't vote unless you owned land. HISTORICALLY, African Americans have been treated (and still are) as second class citizens, and we all know that there is nothing right about that.
This election should really make us reflect on our current political processes. Something needs to change and the next presedential election that comes up I want to see some candidates adressing this issue.

OPINIONS ANYONE?

------------------
MAKE A DIFFERENCE..NOT AN EXCUSE

[This message has been edited by REALITYBLACK (edited November 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by REALITYBLACK (edited November 10, 2000).]

MIDWESTDIVA
11-10-2000, 01:33 PM
I agree the electoral college should be abolished. People complain about it almost every election, but then people sort of forget about it over the course of four years, until the next election arrives. I don't have any idea what needs to be done in order to get rid of it. But I would be willing to do whatever it takes.

Discogoddess
11-10-2000, 01:53 PM
It will take an Constitutional amendment to change or get rid of the Electoral College.

MIDWESTDIVA
11-10-2000, 02:33 PM
That isn't very likely to happen.

REALITYBLACK
11-10-2000, 03:38 PM
Well we need to make it likely to happen.. this is crazy and absurd did you guys know that of 19,000+ votes that were thrown out in the state of Florida the majority were the votes of African American and other minorities? Why were they thrown out you may ask.. it was because they had two holes punched. Why did they have two holes punched? The directions that were given along with the ballots were confusing and led many people to believe that they were voting seperatly for president and vice president...ALSO...the way the names were arranged on the ballots was confusing too.

Why is it that no other state had this problem? Why is it that this happens to have occured in the state where the BROTHER of the George Bush is governor? Why is the Bush campaign so vigurously opposing recounts? Do they not want the truth?

conicedence or conspiracy?

This whole thing is fishy and I hope that when the FBI does their investigation that they do so completely, truthfully, and in an unbiased manner. I can accept it if Gore loses..that's the way the system works but I can not accept someone trying to pull the woolover my eyes.

mojo
11-12-2000, 02:06 AM
They do not want ANOTHER recount. Gracious, how many recounts does it take to establish who the winner is.

A fair election!! How fair would a hand count be if 9 out of 10 counters are Gore supporters. Like Baker said, votes could be discarded, ignored, or not counted.

Floridians don't pay attention to directions. The ballots were distributed before the election, the ballots was posted in the newspapers before the election and the ballots were shown on the local news before the election. With all of this, if Florida residents still could not get it right, it's supposed to be Jeb Bush's fault. AND YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT FAIR.

mccoyred
11-13-2000, 08:22 AM
This whole thing is a FARCE and makes me sick to my stomach.

EVERYONE has a responsibility to make sure their vote counts. I beleive that EACH voter has the RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that their ballot truly reflects their wishes and is true and accurate. I think that the many and selective hand recounts are ridiculous. Any ballot that is not fully punched for one candidate/team per office should be thrown out and invalidated.

I also beleive that there should be a NATIONAL ballot standard for all national elections, but I guess there needs to be "studies" done on that issue. A national standard would sweep away all the hodgepodge of state laws and procedures and we would not be in this current mess.

I agree with the earlier posting that points out that all other offices, even federal, are determined by popular vote so why should the presidency be any different.

just my "2" cents

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate