PDA

View Full Version : The Junior League

RUASTgrrl
09-05-2004, 04:46 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has joined the Junior League in their area after college. The one here in Houston has sponsered admissions, and a person has to be proposed by 3 people to join. Has anyone joined a JL with similar selectivity? And do you have any tips?

Angels&Arrows
09-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I am a member of the Junior League in Boston (JLB). Our membership runs about 1,500 with aprox. 200 provisionals a year. Though, I had two sponsors, the JLB no longer requires sponsorship to join. Do you know any active or sustainers that could sponsor you for membership? Also, you need to show not only an interest in volunteerism, but also a record of volunteering in your community.

Taualumna
09-05-2004, 06:05 PM
My Junior League chapter also does not require recs. We aren't very big compared to Boston or New York....our New Member (Provisional) classes usually are around 30 or so (it might be higher this year because of Showhouse) with approximately 200-ish actives. I know that a few of the women in my league are Greek alumnae, so perhaps there are some in Houston too. Maybe you can check with your Alumnae Chapter?

Anchorgirl
09-05-2004, 06:25 PM
You may also want to ask if they do non-member events that you could participate in. The Junior League near me does that, and it gives you a chance to get to know women so they can then sponsor or recommend you for membership. Good luck - hope it works out for you!

cutiepatootie
09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
We don't have a Junior League in our area ....you have to drive an hour to the nearest......but i think it would be a great organization to join if you have one near you.

Kevin
09-05-2004, 07:29 PM
The OKC VP of the Junior League subleases in my father's law office. I can't say I know that much about them though except that they kind of sound like a sorority for adults.

PhiMuLady150
09-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I been thinking of looking into membership with the Junior league of Washington which requires you to be 20 years of age and a DC resident and have a sponsor. However, if you don't have a sponsor, they put your application in a sponsorship pool and assign you to someone. So I guess it varies by city.

RUASTgrrl
09-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I looked on their website, and they do not have any non-member events, but that if you want to meed JL members than to volunteer and places where they place JL volunteers. So I've been working on that. I've also been volunteering with the Girl Scout council in my area for a year. I will also check with my alum chapter here and see if any of them are members, thanks for the idea!!

Taualumna
09-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by PhiMuLady150
I been thinking of looking into membership with the Junior league of Washington which requires you to be 20 years of age and a DC resident and have a sponsor. However, if you don't have a sponsor, they put your application in a sponsorship pool and assign you to someone. So I guess it varies by city.

Weird question: Does anyone know why the age varies from chapter to chapter? I was in the NYC League's website and their minimum age is 16! I don't know about you, but most high school girls aren't really going to be interested. It is 18 in Toronto.

lonestaradpi
09-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm a Provisional with the San Antonio Junior League. My sponsors were all adpis from my alumnae association. I think that the age requirements must vary from organization to organization. Here are our requirements for membership:

Must have reached the age of 23, or be less than the age of 40, before March 31st of the year she is invited to Provisional Membership.
Must live in Bexar County and surrounding counties for a minimum of one year by the time she is sponsored.
Must be sponsored by 4 members of the Junior League of San Antonio, Inc.; 3 of the 4 must be Active members. No more than 1 sponsor may be a Sustaining member. Not more than 1 sponsor may be first-year Active member.

I have really enjoyed my time in the Junior League so far. I encourage you to look in to it. Does the Houston JL website have a contact person for interested persons? Ours does and I would recommend you to see if there is anyone that you could call or e-mail. Best of luck!

DDDmiami
11-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I have a couple of questions:
First what do the sustained members do and how do they vary from actives??
Second are provisional members only taken in the Fall?? and what are they required to do in that "provisional" time?
How long is the provisional time?
Thanks
DDDMiami

Taualumna
11-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by DDDmiami
Second are provisional members only taken in the Fall?? and what are they required to do in that "provisional" time?
Thanks
DDDMiami

Sustainers are:

Women who are over 40 and have served the League as active members for x number of years (it is five for the JLT). They have all the privileges of active members except they cannot hold office or vote. However, an individual league may allow Sustainers on their Board of Directors the right to vote on questions that are before the Board as can Sustaining Directors who are on the Association Board.

Provisional Members (aka New Members): My league only takes new members in the fall, and it lasts until the spring. Right now, the ladies are working on projects about the Toronto League (history, how it works, etc), and will start their New Member projects after the holidays. I do understand that there are Leagues that take in new members in the winter.

aabby757
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I was a member of the Junior League of Washington for about six years. One year shy of going sustainer. In my opinion, the JLW itself was not a good experience. The volunteering I did however was. And the people were nice that were on the committees I were a part of. However, the politics of the JLW, the disorganization, the "elite inner circle" and their rules I found were way too much. I wish it was more like a "sorority for grown women" but it wasn't. It was volunteering. A few social events but it was difficult for me to take part in most of them. And, the outside cas needed for lunches, admission, food, arts/crafts etc took me by surprise. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm happy to volunteer my time and money but would like some notice. The communication (or lack of communication) I had from the league made my decision to quit a very easy one. And, DC being such a transient city, I met many people from other leagues and they hated their experience with the JLW unfortunately.

I'm still waiting for a response from the JLW after sending them three e-mails last year. Oh well.

I'm volunteering with another organization and love it so much more.

James
11-09-2004, 03:18 PM
I was told that many chapters of this organization are kind of elitist-snobby. Not elitist by ability or anything like that, but elitist in a socially-exclusionary way. Hence the word snobby.

Is that a reasonable characterization?

aabby757
11-09-2004, 03:27 PM
James, in my experience with my chapter only, I would say yes and no. There were many women I called, "the 8 carat ring club" who were above everyone and spoke in weird voices, etc. However, the majority of my experience was the exact oposite. Women who were educated, many who worked on the Hill, credentials out the arse, attractive/well put together, not poor but not above at all standing behind a counter at a soup kitchen dishing out pasta salad. We all wore jeans and became friendly with women/children/people who happened to have different life experiences than us and it was great.

I think the JL in general has that reputation, as do sororities, but I never focused on the people, I focused on the committee/volunteer opportunity first and then became friends which the people on that same committee. I know I wouldn't have lasted ten secnds on those committees that appeal mostly to the "8 carat ring club."

kdonline
11-11-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by DDDmiami
Thanks
DDDMiami

Sustainers are League members who've "served their time." ;) The Junior League of Miami (JLM) doesn't have an age requirement anymore to go sustaining; it's now based on # of years as an Active. I became a sustainer last year, or the year before last..I can't remember? And I'm not 40.

The JLM has also started taking Provisionals in the spring.

Provisionals just have to attend more meetings & do their own community service project. They also might be required to volunteer at League functions...but it's so flexible.

It all depends on the League you're joining.

kddani
11-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by James
I was told that many chapters of this organization are kind of elitist-snobby. Not elitist by ability or anything like that, but elitist in a socially-exclusionary way. Hence the word snobby.

Is that a reasonable characterization?

It certainly has that reputation. Though I know some members in Pittsburgh and they certainly don't fit the profile.

KD had partnered with Junior League in some way, but then I never heard anything about it. Wonder why......

Annie, do you have any clue?

PhiMuLady150
03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm bumping this because I attended a "Prospective Member Meeting" for the Junior League of Washington last evening. I was a bit overwelmed especially when they annouced at the end that they had 2800 members and could only take a class of 300 and had 96 spots left that would be filled on a "first come, first serve" basis. (130 girls came to this session and the same amount came last session and they still have one more session) I went ahead and filled in my member contract and paid my dues. However, I won't know until this summer if I am in the class, wait listed or in a potential "2nd class" they may form since they had "an influx" of applications this year. I'm a little nervous but I guess if it's meant to happen, it's meant to happen. So if people could send good vibes my way that would be great! Thanks!

HotDamnImAPhiMu
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Adrianne, I had no idea the JL was even active in Washington. You'll have to tell me next time they're recruiting. You know, when you're on the other side. :)

Seriously, though, I'm sure you'll be welcomed in with open arms. Don't forget to let us know when it happens!

jhujenn
03-25-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't know where either of you are located in DC, but there is also a Junior League of Northern Virginia which takes members from Northern Virginia as well as Maryland and DC. I will be a second year active next year and have enjoyed my experience. We have our meetings at Tysons Corner, but some of the volunteer opportunities are in Arlington. We work with homeless and at risk children as our focus area. The requirements are less as well.

Taualumna
03-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, PhiMuLady!!

I had a wonderful new member year (some Leagues still use "provisional". I guess they're not required to use "new member" by the Association of Junior Leagues International) last year and I'm just about wrapping up my first active year! You'll have a GREAT TIME! :)

aabby757
03-25-2005, 02:03 PM
The Junior League of Washington was my chapter. Congratulations!

While I miss the volunteering and the people I met in my placement I do not miss the politics at all. The rules change year after year so be wary that one policy you love may change the following year.

A Capital Collection -- the big fundraiser in the winter time -- right before Christmas is fabulous and Tossed & Found, the rummage sale in the spring is great.

Take advantage of all you can.

While I lived in the suburbs and bitched about having to trek "all the way" into the city, I did like having an excuse to get out and meander in Georgetown.

Keep us posted.

Any idea what placement you will choose?

texas*princess
03-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Out of curiosity, how often does the JL usually meet? I know it will probably vary from chapter to chapter, but I'm just looking for an average or your area I guess :)

jhujenn
03-25-2005, 02:25 PM
JLNV meets once a month and your committee varies on how often it meets.

Angels&Arrows
03-25-2005, 07:23 PM
After your provisional year..

I am a member of JLB (Boston).

Active Status:
Meet once a month within our volunteer group and have a 24 hour (though it depends on the project/committee you are on) volunteer requirement and 8 hours of training credits.

As an active you also have to work the Show House or you can pay ($100.00) a shift.

Attend 2 GM.

Active II status: (after five years as an active).
Are responsible for 24 hours minimum on a committee and 4 hours minimum of training credits.

They do not have to staff the Show House.

Attend 1 GM.

HotDamnImAPhiMu
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
What's the age limit like? And isn't it kind of like COB -- you have to know someone who's already in to get an invite?

Taualumna
03-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
What's the age limit like? And isn't it kind of like COB -- you have to know someone who's already in to get an invite?

Many leagues no longer have upper age limits. The youngest one usually can join depends on the league. It usually runs between 18-22, although the New York league allows 16 and 17 year olds to join, according to their website. New Members are usually between 28-35.

I guess it's kind of like COB. One of this year's new members commented that the information meeting we had felt like rush to her.

mmcat
03-26-2005, 01:15 PM
i served and provisionaled in des moines iowa.
one general meeting a month

darling1
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
im a member of the league in baltimore. we are not as selectiveas other chapters but from what i have heard new member requirements are similar.

Originally posted by RUASTgrrl
I wanted to know if anyone has joined the Junior League in their area after college. The one here in Houston has sponsered admissions, and a person has to be proposed by 3 people to join. Has anyone joined a JL with similar selectivity? And do you have any tips?

HotDamnImAPhiMu
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
If I wanted to find out more about the Washington, DC JL, what would I need to do?

Taualumna
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM
If I wanted to find out more about the Washington, DC JL, what would I need to do?

They should have a website you can go into which will provide contact info. :)

ETA: The Washington, DC League's website is here :http://www.jlw.org/jlw/index.htm

HotDamnImAPhiMu
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
thanks!

FSUZeta
04-01-2005, 02:42 PM
i was in jr. league when we lived in tulsa, ok and had a fabulous time. if you are intersted in jr. league at all, check it out and go for it. it is a great way to meet new people, serve your community and the networking can be terrific too. good luck.

Taualumna
08-12-2005, 12:44 AM
I just received my issue of Connected, the Junior League publication. There was information on the AJLI boutique in it. I didn't realize it existed. Is it something new?

AXO_MOM_3
08-12-2005, 01:10 AM
I got that Connected too - it is the first one I've gotten from Nationals...maybe it is something new!

kdonline
08-12-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh yeah, I got it too.

But I thought it was because I transferred Leagues (Miami to Seattle) and that Seattle was more "on it" - lol!

Taualumna
08-12-2005, 11:22 AM
What do you ladies think of the AJLI boutique? I can see some younger women who MAY want JL t-shirts or lavaliers and things like that, but how many 70 year old sustainers would?

kdonline
08-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Hey! Not all sustainers are 70 years old! ;)

The JL of Miami has been selling t-shirts for years. My sister bought me one when I joined (she joined the year before).

The t-shirts are nice to wear when you're doing a group activity in within the community.

AXO_MOM_3
08-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I wear tee shirts for community events...but we always have our own shirts made. I did not pay much attention to the boutique stuff - I don't see myself getting that stuff! We have a gift shop here and all the profits go back into our league. We have to spend X amount of dollars in there every year. I bet they will start carrying some of the boutique items in there. Maybe the provisionals will buy it all up!

girlygirl11
08-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Is it a really big time commitment? I'm interested in joining but I already do too much so I'm a little wary!

adpiucf
08-21-2005, 03:27 PM
The bare minimum is managable if you have a busy schedule, but I think anyone who can't give a real committment to the Junior League is doing both herself and the organization a disservice.

If you're not sure, I would recommend going to an interest session to learn more. There are optional social events, etc., but there mandatory meetings once a month or so and mandatory service requirements.

The Junior League is a beautifully structured organization. There are membership requirements, and new members (called provisional) have their own set of requirements that you are walked through by a provisional adviser.

blueangel
08-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I was a provisional last year and dropped out. I didn't care for it at all.

As for being snobbish, that kind of made me laugh, because our league is so desperate for members, they set up recruiting tables in front of our local Shop Rite! If you're female, over age 18, can afford the $150 yearly dues, and are breathing in and out, you're in! :)

Taualumna
08-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by blueangel

As for being snobbish, that kind of made me laugh, because our league is so desperate for members, they set up recruiting tables in front of our local Shop Rite! If you're female, over age 18, can afford the $150 yearly dues, and are breathing in and out, you're in! :)

JLT's minimum age is 18 (though I don't think anyone under 22 has joined since the 50s or 60s) too, but I've seen some leagues with older minimum ages. Why is that? Maturity? I know that the JL in NYC has a minimum age of 16, though I doubt anyone that young has ever signed up.

PhiMuLady150
02-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I recently moved back to NC (Henderson County) after living in Washington DC. In June of 2005, I was accepted (by application) into the provisional member class of the Junior League of Washington DC. Because I had akready amde the decision to move, I wrote the League a very nice letter thanking them for the invitation and explaining why I couldn't accept it. When I moved back, I sent an e-mail to the Junior League of Asheville asking about provisional membership but I never got any response. In December of 2005, I called The Junior League of Asheville (located in Buncombe County) and inquired if I was eligible because I lived in Henderson County and they said yes because it was the closest league to my residence. They also said they would send me more information. They never did. About four weeks ago, I discovered that they had the provisional application on their website, so I printed it, filled it out and sent it in. I called last Friday just to make sure they had gotten it, they had and I was told that the person in charge of the applications had been out of the office due to a death in the family and that she would be in contact sometime this week. I'm unfortunitly not the most patient person, and when I applied for provisional membership in DC, I didn't hear anything for almost 4 months. But I don't know a lot of people in Asheville/Hendersonville yet even though I've been here for almost a year so I am not sure how The Junior League of Asheville operates in terms of a timeline. Any advice? Besides being patient;)

Thank you,

Denise_DPhiE
02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Did you sit back and wait when you wanted to join a sorority? No, you took the active steps. You need to continue to do that - maybe drop an email to the chapter president.

I too had a similar experience. We had just moved to the area and I met the JL women at a townwide fair. The person who took my name was one of my husbands co-workers. She never put my sheet in the binder so I was not signed up in time for that year's provisional class. It wound up working out ok because the follwing year, I got a job closer to home and had more volunteer time. This is my first active year and I have been asked to consider chairing one of our fundraising committee next year.

I have met wonderful people. I hope you have a smilar experience!

Taualumna
02-06-2006, 11:43 PM
If you don't hear back via email, phone them! :)

Good luck!

kdonline
02-07-2006, 02:57 AM
I am not sure how The Junior League of Asheville operates in terms of a timeline. Any advice? Besides being patient;)

Call them, and ask them point blank, because you need to make sure your schedule allows you the time:

1) when are provisionals notified of their acceptance?
2) when does the provisional calendar start?

Thinking about it, you might've been able to transfer your provisional-ship from DC to Asheville. When I was on the Board of Directors for JLMiami, I recall a woman who requested to transfer before the year began.

FSUZeta
02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
i think it depends on the individual league.

Rudey
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Do the chapters provide pictures of their members?

I've heard there are some great breeders in the Junior League.

-Rudey
--GOTTA GO PUMP SOME IRON NOW!

FSUZeta
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
rudey, i believe you mean women of good breeding-not great breeding material.

Rudey
02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FSUZeta
rudey, i believe you mean women of good breeding-not great breeding material.

No, no good breeders. Their genes and their breeding abilities will create competitive offspring.

-Rudey

PhiMuLady150
02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
So I sent in a follow up letter today saying that I knew my application had been received, more about why I was interested in joining and that I had had some trouble getting returned phone calls, etc.

We'll see what happens...

texas*princess
02-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Best of luck PhiMuLady! Sounds like a great opportunity!

alum
02-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I LOVED my time in Junior League. To Mr. ALum's corporate relocations, I affiliated with several associations across the US. They were all wonderful experiences!

PhiMuLady150
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I just got a call and e-mail saying that the new class will start in August. The current class will be done in May and I will be contacted in July about when the class starts. She said on the phone message that they would love to have me and that there isn't anything further I needed to do at this point.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thank you!

Taualumna
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I just got a call and e-mail saying that the new class will start in August. The current class will be done in May and I will be contacted in July about when the class starts. She said on the phone message that they would love to have me and that there isn't anything further I needed to do at this point.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thank you!

That's great to hear! :)

OleMissGlitter
02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
My mom and my aunts are sustaining members (I think that is the word) for the New Orleans Junior League. I thought about joining but since New Orleans is about 5 1/2 hours away it would be tough to participate. I had emailed the Memphis JL once but never heard back.

PhiMuLady150
02-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
My mom and my aunts are sustaining members (I think that is the word) for the New Orleans Junior League. I thought about joining but since New Orleans is about 5 1/2 hours away it would be tough to participate. I had emailed the Memphis JL once but never heard back.

Maybe this will help: http://www.jlmemphis.org/?nd=join

OleMissGlitter
02-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks, I hope they don't have a distance requirement. I live in Oxford, MS which is about 1 hour 15 minutes away from Memphis.

PhiMuLady150
02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Most Junior Leagues will allow that. For instance, for the Washington DC JL, you could live in NOVA and still be eligible. However, NOVA I believe has its own Junior League. The JL of Asheville is in Boncombe County and I live in Henderson County about 20 miles away and I am eligible because the JLA is the close League to me. But definitly call and ask.

kdonline
02-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Congrats PhiMuLady150! Glad it's worked out.

OleMissGlitter: each League has different residency requirements, partly because they don't want to step on a neighboring League's toes. DEFINITELY call to find out.

This became an issue when I was on the Board of Directors in the Junior League of Miami. Many of our members lived within the JL of Ft. Lauderdale's area, but worked in Miami, so they wanted to join the Miami group, because it would be easier to attend meetings.

cutiepatootie
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
how does one start an interest group in an area for a Jr league chpt? we dont have one here though there is one 1 1/2 hr away and no one likes that drive far. Does the league only stay with only established chapters or do they form new chapters occasionally?

HotDamnImAPhiMu
02-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Holy smokes... $195 just to submit your application! :eek:

angelove
02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I've been a member of the Junior League in a couple of different cities, but I have a friend who lives in a smaller town that has a Junior Service League. (Although every time I talk to her she talks about being in "Junior League") What's the difference? Are they like colonies or interest groups for AJLI groups?

Denise_DPhiE
02-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by cutiepatootie
how does one start an interest group in an area for a Jr league chpt? we dont have one here though there is one 1 1/2 hr away and no one likes that drive far. Does the league only stay with only established chapters or do they form new chapters occasionally?

Ooh, an expansion thread? (kidding). Contact www.ajli.org and see what their criteria is for expanding. Good luck!

Denise

FSUZeta
02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
as i understand it, junior service leagues are typically located in smaller cities. they perform much like junior leagues;i.e., have new member classes, sustainers, actives, and contribute significantly to their communities. ladies i have know who were members of junior service leagues referred to them as "service league", not junior league. they are different organizations, both doing good work.

angelove
02-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I mean the Junior Service League sounds like it does a whole lot of the same things as Junior League, and I was wondering if there was actually a difference. My friend's org really does a lot for the community.

I hope this didn't sound like one of those "real vs. fake GLO" posts where certain people try to put down service GLO's. It's not what I intended at all. I promise I'm not one of those posters from another website.;)

FSUZeta
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
it wasn't taken that way. :-)

the difference is that they are different organizations.

gamma_girl52
02-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm glad I found this thread!!

I'm hoping to apply for the League here in Atlanta in a few months (April/May is when they are taking apps for provisionals again) and I'm very excited. I've been wanting to do this since last year.

kitten03
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
HOTDAMN

Are you talking about the DC league application? I'm on the membership committee for the DC league. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

aopirose
02-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter

Glitter, there isn't a JL where you are but there is Junior Auxiliary. http://www.najanet.org/ It's similar to JL but it's concentrated in the south.

gamma_girl52
02-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Holy smokes... $195 just to submit your application! :eek:

It's $125 in Atlanta.
And that is not counting the $153 Membership Fee you pay!

irishpipes
02-23-2006, 03:30 PM
The Tulsa JL has a $120 annual membership fee, a $90 additional Provisional (first year) fee, and as a Provisional Member (i.e. pledge) you have to buy 4 cookbooks at $25 each and you have to work 2 3 hour shifts at a particular fundraiser. Sounds like hazing to me, but maybe Hoosier would know for sure.

PhiMuLady150
07-20-2006, 11:35 PM
I am happy to say that I received word today that I have been invited to be a part of the 2006-2007 Provisional Class of the Junior League of Asheville!:D

FSUZeta
07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
congratulations!! you will meet so many interesting and dynamic women-in your provisional class as will as the league itself.

dekeguy
07-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Ladies,
May I ask you all about JL membership procedure? My Great-Aunt was a JL member and then sustainer in New Orleans years ago. In her day one did not apply to join but was proposed by a member and went through a selection process that was much tougher than her experience as a Pi Phi, which she told us was really challenging and selective. On top of that, she told us that members were only allowed to propose one candidate per year, no exceptions.
The process sounded very much like proposal to a club like the Boston Club, Pickwick Club, Stratford Club, Bienville Club or Louisiana Club (to use New Orleans examples).
My Cousin, a Newcomb/Tulane Pi Phi of a few years back told us that the system described by my Great-Aunt was essentially unchanged in New Orleans, and I believe Baton Rouge also, at least when she went through.
Has all of this changed rasdically? What was described to us sounds very different from the process described in this thread. Would someone please bring us (my Sister is curious as well) up to date on how it works?
Many thanks.

jhujenn
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I think the process is different depending upon where you live. Every league can choose their provisional process so there isn't a uniform answer.

aopirose
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
dekeguy,

Good to see you again! Times have indeed changed since your relatives were involved. It is different from what it was 6 years ago. If you go to the JLNO web site, it lays things out pretty much like these ladies have explained. http://www.jlno.org/?nd=joinjlno Now, what they do in private maybe another story.

If you go to the letter from the Provisional Committee Co-Chairwomen, they actually state that a Sponsor Group (2 members now, it used to be 4) will be found for you if you don't know anyone in JLNO! An older neighbor, she's 80, about fell off her chair when I showed it to her. She said that she tried to get into the "right" circles so that she could join but an invitation never came.

Regarding the Boston Club, I was in the library the other day and came a across a BC membership book. It was published in 1950 and had the history constitution, by-laws, and the name of every member to date. I found a similar book for the Orleans Club too.

FSUZeta
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
i believe that some leagues require the prospective new member to have a sponsor(s) while some accept applications from any interested women. the best answer would come from contacting the local league office.

imcurious
07-21-2006, 11:10 PM
i believe that some leagues require the prospective new member to have a sponsor(s) while some accept applications from any interested women. the best answer would come from contacting the local league office.

FSUZeta is correct. In addition to contacting the league office you might want to check out a specific league's web site. Most will explain the requirements for joining that particular chapter. In my experience, the ones that do not list this information are the ones that are more selective!

blueangel
07-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Every Junior League group is different. The one in my area goes begging for members... literally. They sometimes park themselves in front of a food store and try to talk people into joining. If you are female, live in my county and are breathing in and out, you can become a provisional member. Then, all you have to do is complete a "class project" and you're in.

Others are very selective and require sponsorship. And still others have an age ceiling.

Another note: membership dues varies depending on where you join.

Taualumna
07-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Every Junior League group is different. The one in my area goes begging for members... literally. They sometimes park themselves in front of a food store and try to talk people into joining. If you are female, live in my county and are breathing in and out, you can become a provisional member. Then, all you have to do is complete a "class project" and you're in.

Others are very selective and require sponsorship. And still others have an age ceiling.

Another note: membership dues varies depending on where you join.

Wow.....beg for members? Maybe this is something we should do up here! Most of the ladies join through friends. We seem to get huge New Member (provisional) classes on years we have a Showhouse (every four years), but non-Showhouse years are significantly smaller.

The Junior League of Toronto is going to experiment with two classes this coming year. For those whose Leagues have a fall and spring class, do you find that there are more women joining?

FSUZeta
07-22-2006, 11:21 AM
when i joined, i believe that there were fall and spring classes-i do not know if more women joined then, or when there was just the one provisional class.

as to begging for members, when i transferred to the jl-ft. myers, they were hurting for members-i believe that they had around 113 total, as opposed to the league i transferred from, which had well over 300 active members.

PhiMuLady150
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Is anyone starting their Provisional Year this fall? I just got my invitation to our Provisional Picnic. I am very excited!

CutiePie2000
08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
The Junior League of Toronto is going to experiment with two classes this coming year. For those whose Leagues have a fall and spring class, do you find that there are more women joining?
When I was in The Junior League of Calgary, we had a September and a January class (I was in the January class). It seemed to work though the January class was smaller (maybe 7 of us).

In Canada (alas, Vancouver and Montreal have folded), Junior Leagues don't require sponsors. This might make Junior Leaguers from Houston "bristle" that we let in "riff-raff" or whatever, but with all the volunteering requirements that we have, anyone who is not sincere soon fades away. The membership fees often put people off, because they don't want to have to "pay to volunteer".

I personally think that the Junior League should overhaul its name; most people think that it's to do with baseball, children or sports (or some variation of those 3 things).

dekeguy:
I think in general, the southern Junior Leagues are considered a prestigious thing to be involved in, and therefore, it is more selective and difficult to "get in". Other places, not so much.

PhiMuLady150
08-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I found out last night (at the JLA's Provisional Picnic) that the Junior League of Asheville used to do two classes per year but the feedback they got from the provisional members is that everything felt very rushed and they felt like they needed more time to learn about the organization. I'm excited to start my provisional year with the JLA! The picnic last night felt like Bid Day;)

blueangel
08-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I found out last night (at the JLA's Provisional Picnic) that the Junior League of Asheville used to do two classes per year but the feedback they got from the provisional members is that everything felt very rushed and they felt like they needed more time to learn about the organization. I'm excited to start my provisional year with the JLA! The picnic last night felt like Bid Day;)

Congrat's! How big is your provisional class?

PhiMuLady150
08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Congrat's! How big is your provisional class?

JLA's active membership size is around 200 and this year's provisional class is 40. They had 17 last year so they are very happy to be increasing the class size. We are broken up into Provisional Mentor Groups (6-7 Provisionals with one Provisional Mentor(current active member) ) so we can get to know a core group of women within our class. However, the whole class meets at one meeting each month. We also have to attend the GMM (General Membership Meetings) each month and a variety of other assignments. I am very excited!

Taualumna
08-26-2006, 06:06 PM
When I was in The Junior League of Calgary, we had a September and a January class (I was in the January class). It seemed to work though the January class was smaller (maybe 7 of us).

In Canada (alas, Vancouver and Montreal have folded), Junior Leagues don't require sponsors. This might make Junior Leaguers from Houston "bristle" that we let in "riff-raff" or whatever, but with all the volunteering requirements that we have, anyone who is not sincere soon fades away. The membership fees often put people off, because they don't want to have to "pay to volunteer".

I personally think that the Junior League should overhaul its name; most people think that it's to do with baseball, children or sports (or some variation of those 3 things).

dekeguy:
I think in general, the southern Junior Leagues are considered a prestigious thing to be involved in, and therefore, it is more selective and difficult to "get in". Other places, not so much.

But it's also not like any woman joins. Most ladies join because they know someone who is in the League already. I only know of one or two who joined by finding the JLT on the web.

I think Montreal and Vancouver folded for cultural reasons. Montreal because it's seen as an "Anglo" thing and Vancouver because well....it's Vancouver (many of the "target group" of women....i.e. ladies who "have the time" to volunteer have homes abroad and frequently travel. The more local crowd are too busy with more "modern" type of volunteering.)

FSUZeta
08-26-2006, 10:11 PM
that is such a shame, since the league's projects directly impact(and improve) the local community.

tld221
08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
you know, i thought JL was this volunteer activity where you serve as an elementary school teacher for a day and interact with children in low-income communities (i definitely remember doing this in HS my junior year. someone help me out if this sounds familiar)

anyway, this sounds interesting, i may consider it (though im on the young side). i will say that had i not become greek, i'd be way less inclined to join.

is JL similar to The Links?

Taualumna
08-27-2006, 12:26 AM
you know, i thought JL was this volunteer activity where you serve as an elementary school teacher for a day and interact with children in low-income communities (i definitely remember doing this in HS my junior year. someone help me out if this sounds familiar)

anyway, this sounds interesting, i may consider it (though im on the young side). i will say that had i not become greek, i'd be way less inclined to join.

It is similar, except Junior League does not have any specific race-based interests.

For more Junior League info check out the international site: www.ajli.org

blueangel
08-27-2006, 12:53 AM

The projects are all different, depending on which community you live in, and their needs. Our Jr. League does projects like "Baby Basics" -- where necessities such as diapers, baby food, etc are collected and given to needy families.

Another on-going program is a girls teen-age half-way home. The women who worked on that one painted and redecorated the house. They are also giving the girls guidance in filling out college applications, raising money for prom dresses for them, teaching them how to use makeup... things that we took for granted, but these girls never learned.

There are many more, but this just gives you some examples of the diverse things the Jr. League does.

Tom Earp
08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Any good done by a group as The Jr. League should be applauded!:)

aopirose
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
tld221, Junior Achievment also does similar to what you are thinking. http://www.ja.org/

BadSquirrelBeta
08-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Our League season is starting again soon. This year I will be one of the members helping with the new member educational classes. We have an apartment complex we assist with that has an after school program and mentoring program as well as a mother mentoring program for a local womens' center. There are also "Done in a Day" projects we support. A couple of weeks ago League volunteers worked on the school house project where kids in the community were given school supplies and donated clothes. We helped over 1700 kids. It was really fun but a lot of hard work that day.

The League seems to bring in members here on word of mouth. Our membership fees aren't too bad at $120/year. We have a requirement of 6 General Meetings/year and one shift at both the spring and winter fundraiser projects. The spring Gift and Garden event is very popular.

As my kids get bigger and away from league sports, going onto select teams, I am hoping to become more active with the League. I think I will really enjoy my assignment this year in membership.

BadSquirrelBeta
09-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Are any of you on the Cookbook committee for your League? I need some direction/suggestions/how you set your book up, etc., etc. Anything you can offer will certainly be appreciated!

jhujenn
09-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I was in the past. Feel free to shoot a PM with your specific questions. I will help with what I can.

BadSquirrelBeta
09-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I was in the past. Feel free to shoot a PM with your specific questions. I will help with what I can.

:) Will do! Are you still an Active?

jhujenn
09-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Technically yes, but I'm a non-resident active.

blueangel
09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Our League season is starting again soon. This year I will be one of the members helping with the new member educational classes. We have an apartment complex we assist with that has an after school program and mentoring program as well as a mother mentoring program for a local womens' center. There are also "Done in a Day" projects we support. A couple of weeks ago League volunteers worked on the school house project where kids in the community were given school supplies and donated clothes. We helped over 1700 kids. It was really fun but a lot of hard work that day.

The League seems to bring in members here on word of mouth. Our membership fees aren't too bad at $120/year. We have a requirement of 6 General Meetings/year and one shift at both the spring and winter fundraiser projects. The spring Gift and Garden event is very popular.

As my kids get bigger and away from league sports, going onto select teams, I am hoping to become more active with the League. I think I will really enjoy my assignment this year in membership.

Our league had a wonderful new member education program. We have a "road rally" where the provisionals are driven some of the sites of the projects. There are also guest speakers... and then a new member project to work on. My class helped redecorate and spruce up a home for displaced children.

cutie_cat_4ever
09-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm wondering with me being 23, would it be too young for me to join? But I would really want to help out and do some volunteering work :) all they listed was to be at least 22

jhujenn
09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I would say you would be fine. The majority of members will probably be a little older, but I never found a problem relating with the women in my league.

Xidelt
10-01-2006, 02:42 AM

I'm confused...you said you dropped out of the Junior League in your area, yet you keep talking about your wonderful experiences and the projects "your" league works on. Did you transfer your provisional membership? Is a provisional able to transfer during their class? As I read this thread, I was under the impression you weren't a member of a League.

BadSquirrelBeta
10-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Our league had a wonderful new member education program. We have a "road rally" where the provisionals are driven some of the sites of the projects. There are also guest speakers... and then a new member project to work on. My class helped redecorate and spruce up a home for displaced children.

The "road rally" is a great idea! I am actually going to suggest that for our spring provisional classes. We already have the schedule set for our fall classes coming up. We have some very neat ladies looking to join The League. I am excited!!

BadSquirrelBeta
10-01-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm wondering with me being 23, would it be too young for me to join? But I would really want to help out and do some volunteering work :) all they listed was to be at least 22

Cutie,

Are you still an active with your GLO? I know you state you are 23 but I don't know when you pledged, what year in school you are, etc, etc.

Assuming you are an alum, that would be great if you could consider joining. If you are still a Collegiate with all the collegiate obligations of soroity membership it may be a lot on your plate. (I get the feeling though this isn't the case).

My provisional class had mostly women in their early 30's. Maybe an older 20-something. But, I didn't feel out of place or anything with my class. We were all pretty close with each other when it came to families, jobs, etc., etc. All in all it has been a good experience.

If anything I certainly encourage you to check out any informational nights, etc, they may have. Then you can get a feel for who may be in your Provisional class.

blueangel
10-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Bad Squirrel:

It was a really good introduction because it gave you an idea as to what projects you could work on. They did that in the morning.. then they had a lunch for us, and some guest speakers.

The first speaker talked about organizational skills and the second was from toastmasters. It was kind of funny, because the non-toastmaster gave a better talk than the toastmaster!

The organizer was so good, I hired her to help me organize my home office. She was super.

jhujenn
10-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Cutie,

Are you still an active with your GLO? I know you state you are 23 but I don't know when you pledged, what year in school you are, etc, etc.

Assuming you are an alum, that would be great if you could consider joining. If you are still a Collegiate with all the collegiate obligations of soroity membership it may be a lot on your plate. (I get the feeling though this isn't the case).

My provisional class had mostly women in their early 30's. Maybe an older 20-something. But, I didn't feel out of place or anything with my class. We were all pretty close with each other when it came to families, jobs, etc., etc. All in all it has been a good experience.

If anything I certainly encourage you to check out any informational nights, etc, they may have. Then you can get a feel for who may be in your Provisional class.

She's not in a GLO.

cutie_cat_4ever
10-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Cutie,

Nope I'm not in a GLO =)
Age was one thing that I was worry about, being too young in the league and such. I serached through the section's website and they have a informational session for potential new members for Spring (apparently I miss the one in fall) So I will check out and see =) but thanks for the advice =)

blueangel
10-01-2006, 10:44 PM
It really depends on the Jr. League. Some tend to scew younger.. some a bit older. There's usually a good mix. Give it a try.. you may like it, you may not.

jhujenn
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm confused...you said you dropped out of the Junior League in your area, yet you keep talking about your wonderful experiences and the projects "your" league works on. Did you transfer your provisional membership? Is a provisional able to transfer during their class? As I read this thread, I was under the impression you weren't a member of a League.

The question still remains.

BadSquirrelBeta
10-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Nope I'm not in a GLO =)
Age was one thing that I was worry about, being too young in the league and such. I serached through the section's website and they have a informational session for potential new members for Spring (apparently I miss the one in fall) So I will check out and see =) but thanks for the advice =)

Cutie--Now that the GLO status is established. :) Try the League. If the Provisional classes haven't actually started you might still be able to get in now. It varies from League to League.

Another thing you might want to do is see if they have any winter events coming up--like a gift show for the holidays or something public. Then you can meet some of the members and let them know you are interested. I don't know if you need a sponsor for your League or not, but this would be a great way for you to get a feel for the make up of the League.

We have had ladies want to join after seeing us in action during our annual schoolhouse clothing and supply drive. This year we were able to send 2007 kids from pre-K to HS to school with adequeate supplies and 3 new-to-them outfits, new socks and new underwear.

Good luck! I really hope it works out for you!! And, you have such an advantage going in as a younger member--your required Active years will be taken care of before you are into your 30's. I'll be a Sustainer close to age 40since I took a leave last year.

cutie_cat_4ever
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Cutie--Now that the GLO status is established. :) Try the League. If the Provisional classes haven't actually started you might still be able to get in now. It varies from League to League.

Another thing you might want to do is see if they have any winter events coming up--like a gift show for the holidays or something public. Then you can meet some of the members and let them know you are interested. I don't know if you need a sponsor for your League or not, but this would be a great way for you to get a feel for the make up of the League.

We have had ladies want to join after seeing us in action during our annual schoolhouse clothing and supply drive. This year we were able to send 2007 kids from pre-K to HS to school with adequeate supplies and 3 new-to-them outfits, new socks and new underwear.

Good luck! I really hope it works out for you!! And, you have such an advantage going in as a younger member--your required Active years will be taken care of before you are into your 30's. I'll be a Sustainer close to age 40since I took a leave last year.

That sounds like a great idea to go to one of their drives :) I know they are having a winter clothing drive soon, so hopefully I can get a feel of who they are :p

thanks a lot for the wishes~ I'm actually looking forward to it! ;)

valkyrie
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM

So did you drop out or are you a member of Junior League? If you did drop out, why are you referring to "our" league and "we" and "my class" in your post?

blueangel
10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
So did you drop out or are you a member of Junior League? If you did drop out, why are you referring to "our" league and "we" and "my class" in your post?

You're not going to make a very good detective. I've already been up front about the fact that I dropped out. You are quite obsessed with me aren't you. I'm flattered! :D :D :D

"Our" Junior League has a wonderful program, (just as "our" fire department is wonderful, even though I'm not a member but it serves my community as does the Jr. League).

I was quite impressed with the work of "our" league.. and the provisional new member training was outstanding! But the League wasn't for me. I don't like sitting through long business meetings. That was my main gripe. They were required, and they went on and on and on ad naseum.

Now, I'll let you get back to searching my posts. Have fun! :D :D :D

virgo921
05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
sorry to hear some people have had bad experiences with the Junior Leage, especially JLW. I'm wrapping up my first active year and I have had a great time. We just closed the recruitment cycle for the 07-08 year and interest continues to be VERY high.

Still BLUTANG
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
sorry to hear some people have had bad experiences with the Junior Leage, especially JLW. I'm wrapping up my first active year and I have had a great time. We just closed the recruitment cycle for the 07-08 year and interest continues to be VERY high.

i've heard great things about JLW. this piqued my interest in the organization overall. :)

firecracker08
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Now I'm wondering if someone had a bad experience with my Junior League the JLW...What happened?...

virgo921
05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
hey Firecracker and fellow JLW'er!
There were some old posts in this thread about JLW being cliquish. I'm sure it can be but I've had a great time so far AND we're doing some great community programs.

CutiePie2000
05-23-2007, 01:25 AM
There were some old posts in this thread about JLW being cliquish.[/FONT]
I think that in any group of people, you will find people that you gravitate towards and "mesh with" and those that you don't. It's part of the human condition. But hopefully people will be kind and behave with diplomacy towards the ones that they have less of an 'interpersonal chemistry' with.

cardinal
01-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know what the upper age limit is for the Junior League of Houston? I have wanted to be in JL since I was a youth, but I married right out of college and started my family immediately. (I dated for seven years before I married--married my high school sweetheart--so we weren't inclined to wait!) I also went on to graduate school during those early years. Now that my children are getting older I, surprisingly, find that I have more flexible time to do volunteering. I have also been active in Cub Scouts and church (teaching, volunteering, committees.) Would all of this still not matter if I am "too old?" And, does this kind of volunteering count as "volunteering?" I would appreciate anyone's input or insight. Thank you!

FSUZeta
01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
i would venture a guess that they have a website, and that they might have that info. on the site. when i was a jl member in tulsa, the cutoff was 40, but that was a while ago.

Senusret I
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
They definitely have the contact info for the Membership VP on their site.

Taualumna
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Check with the recruitment/membership people. I think there are some Leagues who're trying to promote life-long membership (the Junior League here is really pushing it) and we're getting many non-traditional aged new members (we no longer use the term "provisionals")! The Toronto league doesn't even separate Actives and Sustainers in the directory anymore!

imcurious
01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Many Junior League chapters have waived their upper age limit precisesly because there are so many potentially valuable members just like you,who have postponed membership because of the demands of education, work and familiy. Houston does seem to still have one, however I am unclear just what it is. They also have a three year residency requirement. In addition to these requirements, they have a sponsored admissions process that requires your name be proposed by three current members of JLH. While volunteering for Scouts and your church have you had the opportunity to meet other Junior League members? That is frequently the best bet if you don't have any friends or family who can propose your name for membership.

Of course your other volunteer positions count and that will be exactly the kind of thing they will look for. Keep in mind though, that if you join you will have volunteer obligations specific to Junior League.

I know all of this sounds intimidating but if you are successful in joining I think you will find it to be a wonderful experience. Junior League membership can be demanding, but I always find I get more out of it than I put in! I understand the Houston chapter is awesome!

Do as the other posters have suggested and check out their website for membership information. Their membership chair can give you better information than we can. Let us know what happens, and good luck!

cardinal
01-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your advice and ideas. I actually have several sorority sisters who are active in the Junior League of Houston, so I'm not terribly concerned about the sponsorship, thankfully. However, I've been out of the loop for several years due to the commitments I listed earlier. Now that my boys are getting older, I'm looking forward to becoming active again with the girls! I'm just now getting back into my sorority alumnae chapter, so I don't want to impose on them by asking them to support me in this so immediately after I've been out of the loop for the past 10 years. I was hoping to learn and prepare myself as much as possible before I broached the subject with them. I'm just concerned about how much time I have "left" so that I can plan accordingly.

APC2008
05-15-2009, 02:58 AM
I was just accepted to the Junior League of Birmingham and I cannot wait to start my provisional year this Fall.

ThetaPrincess24
05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I want to join the one here but I need to wait until 2010. I am president of my Beta Sigma Phi chapter here and our chapter meeting is the same night of the week as Junior League provisional meetings.

FSUZeta
05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
congratulations APC2008!

als463
05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Congrats APC2008! I wanted to let everyone know how excited I am because I just got inducted into the Junior League of Syracuse!

AlphaXi_Husky
05-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm part of the '09 provisional class of the Junior League of Seattle am very excited to begin! At one of the meet and greets I actually met a sorority sister, and found another one on facebook who is also a provisional member. Too funny!

RaggedyAnn
05-23-2009, 08:34 AM
So far in my league I've met a GPB, KKG and AST.

ASUADPi
05-26-2009, 01:42 AM
APC2008 and AlphaXi_Husky- enjoy your provisional year! Do as much as you can do. Participate in as many valley impact (that is what our philanthropy stuff is called, so I'm not sure what it will be called in different areas).

My advice though for your first active year, take on a small role. I took on the role of provisional mentor and it was so very hard for me, I enventually had to "drop" the role because I just was unable to attend all the provisional meetings and mentor meetings. Now, I don't know you guys personally, but just know your limits your first active year. I was thinking about doing the Rummage committee for this year, but it is a pre-placed committee and I wasn't able to do it.

RaggedyAnn- OMG most of the women in JL are greek. I would say, of who I've met, there are about 10 ADPi's (myself included), I've meet a DG, Gamma Phi, Alpha Chi, Kappa, DZ and KD. Oh and a Pi Phi. I remember my provisional year sitting at a table with other provisionals, out of the 12 at the table, 10 were greek (I say were because this happened like 2 years ago). What was funny is that only 2 people were of the same chapter (me and my actual chapter sister), so there were 8 different chapters represented at the table. It was pretty cool.

sooner~born
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know what the upper age limit is for the Junior League of Houston?

No older than 40 when you are proposed for membership. We have a very active sustainer group for those over 40!

My advice though for your first active year, take on a small role. I took on the role of provisional mentor and it was so very hard for me, I enventually had to "drop" the role because I just was unable to attend all the provisional meetings and mentor meetings. Now, I don't know you guys personally, but just know your limits your first active year. I was thinking about doing the Rummage committee for this year, but it is a pre-placed committee and I wasn't able to do it.

Houston's provisional year has many more time requirements than the first active year. Also keep in mind that you are eligible to apply for pre-placed placements during your provisional year, so you can end up on a development committee your first active year!

ladyjag99
07-09-2009, 03:57 AM
bumping for more responses

zcarr1
07-11-2009, 06:02 PM
we resently started a junior sorority that is local to our area. We are focus on future enrichment, community service, and spirituality. Our club is starting to expand. We have leaders from different national greek organization coming in to speak with our girls in addition to other things. We are a young JS, but want to be successful, I was wondering if anyone and any advice or suggestion that will help or junior sorority grow in a positive direction:o

knight_shadow
07-11-2009, 06:10 PM
we resently started a junior sorority that is local to our area. We are focus on future enrichment, community service, and spirituality. Our club is starting to expand. We have leaders from different national greek organization coming in to speak with our girls in addition to other things. We are a young JS, but want to be successful, I was wondering if anyone and any advice or suggestion that will help or junior sorority grow in a positive direction:o

Get off of the computer and into a library. Stat.

texas*princess
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM

junior sorority does not = junior league

HeavenslilAngel
08-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Hello. I'm looking into joining junior league as well. Can anyone share any personal experiences from the Dallas/Arlington TX leagues? I have been to both websites and will be moving to a city near Arlington but currently live in Dallas and wouldn't mind driving after I move. I have filled out the JL Dallas interest form and am awaiting a response. Follow up has not been done. The JL Arlington did not have an interest form on their website that I saw. At the earliest, I'll be joining in 2010; latest 2011. Thanks in advance for the advice.

pbear19
08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello. I'm looking into joining junior league as well. Can anyone share any personal experiences from the Dallas/Arlington TX leagues? I have been to both websites and will be moving to a city near Arlington but currently live in Dallas and wouldn't mind driving after I move. I have filled out the JL Dallas interest form and am awaiting a response. Follow up has not been done. The JL Arlington did not have an interest form on their website that I saw. At the earliest, I'll be joining in 2010; latest 2011. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I don't have personal experience, but I served on the board of a League I transferred into with a fellow transfer who came from the Dallas League. We shared stories a lot about our 'old Leagues' and she never had anything but glowing memories from Dallas. It always made me a bit jealous that I hadn't been in that kind of big, traditional, well-oiled-machine type of League. I think it's one of the biggest Leagues, if not *the* biggest.

I believe Arlington, while still a very good sized League, is probably much smaller. So I suspect the groups would have similar pros and cons as the giant chapters vs. the smaller chapters of sororities.

Don't know if this is remotely helpful, but I did want to reply and wish you the best of luck! JL is a wonderful experience, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

HeavenslilAngel
08-22-2009, 11:29 PM

LOL I feel like I'm writing a recruitment story. Anyway JL Arlington replied with lightning speed to my email Monday the 17th and invited me to their provisional retreat scheduled for today. I went and loved it!!! There were some greeks there. I told them I was waiting to get bumped and they laughed. Anyway I could go on for days but I'm joining in 2009 instead of 2010! :D

Denise_DPhiE
09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
LOL I feel like I'm writing a recruitment story. Anyway JL Arlington replied with lightning speed to my email Monday the 17th and invited me to their provisional retreat scheduled for today. I went and loved it!!! There were some greeks there. I told them I was waiting to get bumped and they laughed. Anyway I could go on for days but I'm joining in 2009 instead of 2010! :D

I'm from a smaller league in NJ and wanted to welcome you to the JL. your provisional year will be a wonderful experience!

AlphaXi_Husky
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Any provisionals have their retreat or orientation session yet? Mine is a week from Sunday...which also happens to be the first day of recruitment for the chapter I advise. That was fun to find out.

ASUADPi
09-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Our provisionals start doing stuff in the summer. They have some super
saturday's to learn about the league and to get to know their provisional group (to which they have meetings with that group as well). The rest of their super Saturday's are from September to February time frame (as they become "full" members in like March). Their bus tour is in like October and rummage is in February, with a bunch of other tiny things to complete in between.

aouibitofred
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello. I am getting set to join JL this fall. I am so excited...this has been thirteen years in the making:)

RedRoseSAI
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
I joined the League about a year and a half ago. There's a lot of information to absorb (at times it felt like being a pledge again), but it's been a great experience!