PDA

View Full Version : Workshops at colleges/universities

DirectorDST99
07-28-2000, 02:40 AM
Something has been placed on my heart for quite some time now. I'm fighting it because I'm wondering how can it happen? I need to trust in God.

But it's been placed on my heart to travel to college campuses to conduct seminars on leadership and getting involved on campus and in the community.

In addition to speaking to general audiences, I will speak to Delta Sigma Theta chapters on how to "work" in your organization and how to "work" your organization.

Do you all think this is needed? I need your honest opinions and feedback.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

Positive Kay
07-28-2000, 02:57 AM
DirectorDST99,

Is this addressed to your sorors only? Because if it is I would not want to show any disrespect by answering it. So, I'm asking first! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Set your goal!! Strive!! Bask in your reward!!

Positive Kay

DirectorDST99
07-28-2000, 03:11 AM
Positive Kay,

Part one is general and Part two is for members. I am open for feedback.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

CANDID#4
07-28-2000, 07:59 AM
Soror DirectorDST99,

This idea is wonderful!! (and I am not saying that because you are my sister). And it is weird to come up like this. I have been trying to get different Sorors to come to our chapter and have workshops and discussions. I feel that this will be very beneficial. Sometimes as chapters we get so used to doing things one way, and we need a Soror from the outside to come in and show us a few things. Soror, this idea is sooooo good. I hope that you indeed trust the Lord on this one. He will direct your path.

P.s. What areas would you be traveling to?

------------------
C.O.N.SPIRACY 13
#4 CANDID
SPR '00
DELTA PHI CHAPTER
BALL STATE UNIVESITY

Eclipse
07-28-2000, 09:04 AM
DirectorDST99,
This is certainly a worthwhile goal. College students always need information from experienced professionals on what it's like in the real world. I am a soft skills trainer (I train adults at my workplace on things like communication skills, leadership skills, teamwork, etc.) and I know several people who are now working as independant consultants (although none of them have a target of college students) I also frequently volunteer at my alma mater and give similar presentations.

Couple of questions for you...
1. Do you want to make this a full time job, or will you volunteer your time?

2. What will your 'hook' be? In other words, what will distinguish you from others? Getting published (magazine articles, a book, etc.) is a great way to do this.
Please don't take this as a criticism, but there are hundreds of people out there who will be doing the same thing and you want to make sure you 'stand out' from the competition!

I am a firm believer that when the Lord gives you something he will give you the means to make it happen!!

thatgirl
07-28-2000, 09:33 AM
DirectorDST, this is definitely needed! I have been thinking about it myself for quite some time. I think the early college years may be a difficult transition for many women. I know when I'm at school, sometimes the young ladies there act like they don't know which way is up. That's not a put down at all. Sometimes people just need to hear some positive words. I'm so glad that you are concerned enough about this to consider the undertaking. I know a lot of women in St. Louis could benefit from a program like this. I would like to talk to you at length about this if possible. Please e-mail me.

------------------
Proverbs 14:7
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.

happygilmore#9
07-28-2000, 01:12 PM
Soror,

Anything that has been placed in your heart to do that is positive and will benefit your community you should definitely do.Don't worry about how your going to accomplish it because God will definitely make a way.

As my soror I say Perservere and always remember that we are all here for you!!!

ALL MY LOVE TO THE SELECT FEW
EPSILON ALPHA
SPRING 2000

Momilton
07-29-2000, 08:09 AM
I think this would be wonderful, and not only to collegiate chapters. Often we find ourselves stuck in a track, and need someone outside to show us how to get "out of the box" and work.

Positive Kay
07-29-2000, 02:03 PM
DirectorDST99,

It is a good idea. Most of the others have said basically what I wanted to address. I think that if black women are taught or introduced to being leaders early on, they could then focus on being leader of organizations/corporations,etc. other than "black affiliated organizations/corporations, etc". We'll see our sistas in more top positions in the corporate world, etc. I say things other than black affiliated things because we know that we are going to be the presidents and head chair of those things that black people before us have started. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif We just need to look for more (added to what we already have). To make the long story short, it could help these women understand the importance of being a leader and NOT the follower!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif
**NOTE** This is not a racial slander. It is just saying that we need to have black people focus on bigger and better things in life. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
------------------
Set your goal!! Strive!! Bask in your reward!!

Positive Kay

[This message has been edited by Positive Kay (edited July 29, 2000).]

assiduous04
07-29-2000, 05:30 PM
I think that it is a wonderful idea. I know my chapter could benefit from it because we are some of us are really young and don't quite understand the meaning of "working for the organization" or "making the organization work". Everyone needs a little guidance every now and then!!!! Good luck in getting this started.

Nubian
07-31-2000, 09:06 AM
I'm sure you know by know that everyone thinks this is a great idea. You already know what college I attend, so if I can be of any assistance, just let me know. While lecturing to your sisters is an excellent idea, I feel that lecturing to the general public on topics such as the Black woman's (or anyone's) role in community service is a truly remarkable idea, you and your sisters were already taught the principles of Sisterhood, Scholarship, and SERVICE, to go spread that message to the public(especially the college-aged public) would be extremely helpful. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Yay You!
Me

------------------
The most virtuous of all men is he that contents himself with being virtuous without seeking to appear so...