PDA

View Full Version : stufield: Do you know the outline of the champion quest program?

James
08-29-2004, 02:43 AM
I didn't want to clutter your other thread.

The champion quest seems to be what the Alum officers are saying is causing a large increase in recruitment numbers. I have seen an outline of it, but the outline didn't seem all that different from other recruitment programs.

Is there a lot more to it?

Also I am seeing a big push for either 50 brothers or the largerst fraternity on campus.

stufield
08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
James.

No, I have not seen the Champion Quest program, and don't know much about it. I gather that the "Champions of Recruitment" (individuals who recruit 5 pledges in a single semester) and "Masters of Recruitment" (individuals who recruit 15 pledges within one academic year) designations are part of the program.

The only other thing I know about the program is that it has a really goofy name, something right out of junior high school. The "Quest" part I can understand (pursuing Jackson's Dream). But the "Champion"???? Is a chapter a "champion" because it happens to recruit a large pledge class??? To the best of my knowledge, neither the Five Friends and Brothers nor Steven Alonzo Jackson ever used the word "champion" to desribe any of the Fraternity's goals and objectives or practices, and I don't think that recruiting more pledges than it did last year or than any other fraternity on its campus automatically makes a chapter a "champion". It's a really juvenile title, nowhere near as good as the "Most Wanted Man", "Brothers In Action", and "A Greater Cause" titles of some of the fraternity's other prominent current prgrams.

But whatever it is called, and whatever it involves, the program does indeed seem to be getting positive results at several (though by no means all) our chapters, which is the main thing.

As for the "50 men or largest fraternity on campus" thing, I understand that it is an SEC-mandated requirement for a colony to be eligible to receive its charter as a chapter. Of course, it is just one of several requirements. But it has been somewhat controversial, as it can prove extremely difficult for a new group on a campus to reach the 50-man minimum membership threshhold, or be the largest fraternity on a campus where all the fraternities have memberships of less than 50 men. There are dozens of Kappa Sig chapters that have prospered for years ... for decades ... on their respective campuses that never would have received their charters if they had been required to satisfy the "50 men or largest fraternity on campus" initial membership requirement.

On the other hand, and while I do not have any direct knowledge on the subject, I BELIEVE that the SEC is trying to avoid a repeat of the Fraternity's miserable expansionary experiences in the late 1990's or early 2000's when we chartered chapters with small initial memberships that were uncompetitive on their respective campuses and died out within two or three years of receiving their charters. Xi-Kappa at Florida International University, Xi-Nu at the University of Western Ontario, and Xi-Omicron at Eastern Michigan were three such short-lived chapters that were chartered, and then folded, within a year or two of each other. All had small memberships from the outset, never grew, and simply could not sustain themselves. Understandably, the Fraternity wants to avoid a reoccurrence of such failures, and the SEC evdently sees the "50 men or largest fraternity on campus" as one component of ensuring that its newest chapters are strong and competitive on their respective campuses.

Of course, just because a fraternity has 50 memebrs or happens to be the largest fraternity on its campus at the time it receives its charter is no guarantee of sustained success. But it MAY increase the chance of such success.

But another, perhaps more important consideration is the simple matter of the ability of any fraternity, regardless of its size, to sustain itself on a particular campus, i.e. of the attitude towards fraternities by the student body and theadministration of a particular school. I personally believe that of the Fraterniy's 22 present colonies, at least five and perhaps as many as seven of them are doomed to failure because they are at schools with no current Greek system or such an insignificant Greek system that even if the colony does progress to receiving its charter, the chapter will always struggle and will be lucky to survive five years. Of course, I will be happy to be proven wrong in each of those instances.

KSigkid
08-30-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm glad they added in the "Top Chapter on Campus" part; as has been said in other threads, if you're a 30 member chapter on a campus where no one else has more than 15, that says a lot. I can see the point that stufield put out there, that if you're going to put the time into starting a colony, there had better be a good base to get things started.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of chapters that prospered while not fulfilling the "50 men or top on campus" criteria, although that data would be difficult to get.

I can see both sides of it - you need numbers to survive, but there are those who think too much emphasis is placed on numbers. I agree though, the program has increased numbers at quite a few chapters.

I think there's a description of Champions Quest on the brother services portion of the website, but I'm not completely sure.

Dickson5
09-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Brothers,

There is definitely a "Champion Quest" page attached to Brother services.

The program is designed to raise the bar, to get the chapters interested in recruiting and to increase the quality of chapters by increasing the number of quality members.

Chapters that are using the program are enjoying great success in all areas of chapter operations.

The name could have been better but the quest to be the best is the part that counts. We just want all chapters to have the best experience they can.

stufield
09-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Brother Dickson:

Thank you for your recent post.

"The name could have been better". You ARE the master of understatement. The name flat-out sucks. It's straight out of junior high school.

Why did the Fraternity not simply call the program "Jackson's Quest", since the program is in pursuit of Jackson's dream or challenge or mandate to the Fraternity to not rest contentedly until we are the pride of every college in the country ... the latter part of which has had to be amended, de facto, to "on the continent" since Kappa Sigma, to its credit, has been an international fraternity since the 1920's.

Jackson's dream has two components: expanding to every college campus, and being the best fraternity at each of those campuses. The name "Jackson's Quest"would thus invoke the two-fold challenge or, to apply the program's name, the QUEST, , not only (1) to establish an active chapter at every college and university on the continent that has a Greek system, and to even pioneer the Greek system at others [i.e., expansion], but also (2) to become the BEST chapter on each of those campuses [i.e., continuity and quality. So it seems to me that "Jackson's Quest" would be a far more appropriate name for the program than the present goofy "Champion Quest".

There are probably several other names that are equally as good. "Founders' Quest" might be another. Almost anything would be better than "Champion Quest". That name sounds like the name of a game show targeted at junior high schoolers.