PDA

View Full Version : disaffiliated and looking

Allmixedup311
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
hi i am new here, but have a question i was hoping you guys could answer

i transfered to a new school and immediately rush started i went in blindly and pledged a fraternity. a number of things happened during pledging that i didn't agree with or like, but each time i was convinced to stick it out. however the week after getting intiated i couldn't take it any longer and disaffiliated.

now the thing is that was last fall, and now as fall is approaching again, and i have a better gauge on things, i want to rush again.

i have a letter from the fraternity i joined saying i am disaffiliated and all of that

if i rush again what are the chances on getting a bid do you guys think, what would you think if a rushee came through and explained this to you? i have friends in all three of the fraternities i am looking at (sae, sigep, and kappa sigma) and they have all encouraged me to rush but does anyone know the overal policies of these mentioned fraternities regarding a situation such as mine?

DaveSAE
08-15-2004, 11:04 PM
If you have initiated with another Fraternity, disaffiliating doesn't matter. If the chapter really believes in you, they can get permission from the proper people - Province Archon (president) and possibly the Supreme Council (basically the board of directors).

It's happened before, so there is precedent. However, it will require some work. It's unfortunate that you had a bad fraternity experience... props to you for getting back on the horse and recognizing that not every chapter is that way. I would challenge you to stand on your convictions if anything happens to you in your new fraternity that you disagree with. Take it up with the chapter president... lay out your expectations before accepting a bid and get a verbal commitment that there is zero hazing in the chapter. If you get a line like "it's nothing you can't handle" or "we all made it through", dig a little deeper and ask what will happen. If you disagree with it, either move on or bring it up with the proper people (Greek Advisor comes to mind).

Hazing is a serious problem that will be the end of Fraternity. There needs to be good dialog and more students like you willing to stand up against a hazing chapter. Good luck to you!

SAEalumnus
08-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Allmixedup311:

Was the fraternity you originally joined and from which you disaffiliated a national organization or a local one? Sometimes this can make a difference in how easily (if at all) you would be able to join another fraternity after having already been initiated into a previous organization.

Allmixedup311
08-21-2004, 02:45 PM
it was a national organization.

SAEalumnus
08-22-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure what rules or procedures other national fraternities might have on the subject of joining one fraternity after having already been initiated into (and subsequently quit) another, but as far as SAE is concerned, the Fraternity generally does not consider a person eligible for membership "who is or has been a member of another national or international college social fraternity. (Section 5 of the Fraternity Laws)"

The Fraternity does, however, provide for an exception to this rule in Section 47D8 of the Fraternity Laws. The conditions of this exception are very restrictive, though. For example, the candidate must be approved by a 3/4ths vote of the Chapter concerned, the vote must be confirmed in writing, and must be accompanied by written recommendations by both the province archon (regional president) and the Eminent Supreme Recorder (executive director). Even then, there are further restrictions: the candidate may not be an undergraduate; he must have rendered substantial service to SAE over a substantial period of time; he cannot have attempted to become a member or pledge of SAE in any manner other than as described in the Fraternity Laws; he must have resigned membership in writing from his previous fraternity and the office of that fraternity must also confirm this in writing (this requirement can be waived by the Supreme Council [Board of Directors] in the event the previous fraternity refuses or fails to provide such documentation); he must never have been expelled from his previous fraternity (this requirement MUST be confirmed in writing); the candiate is still subject to the standard fees required for initiation (unless the Supreme Council chooses to reduce the amount of required fees and charges); and the Supreme Council still reserves the right to add any other requirements, rules, or restrictions as they deem necessary in each individual situation.

So even though an exception to the rule is provided for, the difficulty in qualifying for membership after having already been initiated into another national or international college social fraternity is considerable. If you are still an undergraduate student at your college/university, my personal opinion is that you will never be granted membership to any national or international social fraternity. On the other hand, a local fraternity might not have this kind of restriction. Best of luck to you in either case!