PDA

View Full Version : Rush at UCSC

MySTiK BaLL
08-12-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm going to be a 2nd year at UCSC this fall and I rushed for another local sorority last spring and got cut. I was wondering if this could possibly hurt me if I rushed for Gamma Phi this fall? Can being a sophmore also hurt me? I know UCSC is very anti-Greek, but how competitive is it to get in? I know these are a lot of questions, but I'd really like to know the answers. Thanks!:)

SmartBlondeGPhB
08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't believe we have any Gamma Phi's on here from UCSC who can answer about how recruitment is at that school specifically, but we do have some in other CA schools and I'll let them answer if possible.

Having rushed before won't hurt your chances of rushing again. There are quite a few people who drop out the first time and then rush again at a later date. At many schools, being a sophomore doesn't hurt much either but again, I do not know if recruitment is competitive or not at UCSC.

The best person to answer these questions would be the Greek Advisor at UCSC since he/she will know the atmosphere on your campus.

Good Luck!

gphiangel624
08-13-2004, 02:11 AM
I don't believe UCSC is competitive at all. As far as I know, there is only one NPC sorority and that's Gamma Phi, but I believe they participate in formal recruitment with the locals.

Definitely talk to the Greek advisor, or if there isn't one, talk to a director from student life who deals with greeks.

Either way, good luck with recruitment!

MySTiK BaLL
08-15-2004, 01:22 AM
I know this is gonna be a really stupid question, but how does formal recruitment work at some of your schools? I haven't been through a formal recruitment and I'm curious as to how it works at some other universities.

GPhiBeachbum
08-15-2004, 12:53 PM
I know this is gonna be a really stupid question, but how does formal recruitment work at some of your schools? I haven't been through a formal recruitment and I'm curious as to how it works at some other universities.

that's not a stupid question, don't worry about it. it's very different at all schools, and i go to a university in the northeast with a small percentage of greek life, so i'm sure its much different at my school than many others. at mine, there are 3 nights of rush spreadout over 2 weeks - meet the sisters night, philanthropy night, and preference night. "rushees" or potential new members are split up into even groups, and are assigned to a recruitment counselor. the recruitment counselor is in a sorority, but during rush dissafiliates, so you don't know what sorority she is in. each sorority has a room, and you visit all ten of them the first night of rush. your recruitment counselor takes you and your group to each room, and at the end of the night gives you a pref card. on it you list 5 sororities that you would like to visit the next night. during rush potential new memebrs are not allowed to talk to sorority sisters at all, now even a hello in the dining hall. the second night you visit the 5 sororities that you chose, and after you pick 3 to see the third night. if you only want to see 1 or 2, you can write down 1 or 2 if you want. then the last night of rush you write on your pref card again, what sorority you want, 1st choice, 2nd, and 3rd. and you are matched up with the sororities that chose you. after rush is over, we have bid day, where you are congratulated, hang out with the sisters, and learn about what will happen over the new member education period.

there are a lot of rules during rush at my school, and it's really fun but can be really exhausting too.

MySTiK BaLL
08-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all the help ladies! One last thing, I don't know if I'll need it or not, but would anyone be willing to write a reference for me? It would be greatly appreciated!

SmartBlondeGPhB
08-22-2004, 03:42 PM
If you tell me where you are located (i.e., living currently), I'm more than willing to connect you with a local alum who is willing to meet with you and write one.

RiverShell
08-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi! I'm the Chapter President here at UCSC. It won't hurt you that rushed another Sorority, we actually like you to check out the competition, and being a sophmore also won't hurt at all.
Since we are the only NPC that makes us slightly more competitive than the local Sororities, but if you have any more questions feel free to contact me! Also, check out our website for more info: gammaphibeta.net
AIM: michi9701
email: Shannon@gammaphibeta.net

Shannon Biggs
Epsilon Omicron
Chapter President
Gamma Phi Beta Sorority