PDA

View Full Version : Count down to Convention

bcdphie
06-07-2004, 11:05 PM
I am getting really excited about heading to Texas at the end of the month.

It won't be the first time I've spent Canada Day outside of Canada, but it is the first time I've spent it in the US. It will also be cool to be in the States on July 4th.

Who else is going??

Peaches-n-Cream
06-07-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm not. :(:(:( Have fun!

A Random DphiE
06-08-2004, 02:53 AM
i'll be there!!

when are you arriving!?!?

we're getting there Tuesday morning so we can go to Six Flags...

i'm SoOoOo excited!!

i can't believe i'm goign to celebrate July 4th in TEXAS! :D

shadokat
06-08-2004, 09:22 AM
I'll be there, of course, since I'm on Convention Team! :) Things have been insane with that and will continue to be up until Convention. I can't believe it's less than month!

As for Canada Day Siob, you'll know it's Canada Day :)

LPIDelta
06-08-2004, 06:31 PM
You'll have a blast at Fiesta Texas/Six Flags--they have great shows there and some good rides. Our Convention hotel is right on the Riverwalk, and there are tons of restaurants and other fun establishments to visit. I am certain that everyone will have a great time.

I'll be there--as will my husband (in the evenings) AND my grandmother!!! My grandmother is going to be initiated as an alumna at Convention. She is so excited! So am I!!! She has all kinds of ideas about what its going to be like...I don't know if she gets it all yet but I am going to spend the next few weeks educating her so that she is ready for Convention and sisterhood. She is so wonderful and I cannot wait to share her with everyone. And I cannot wait to call her sister. There will be three other women initiating at Convention as well.

Safe travels to everyone. I think y'all will like San Antonio.

A Random DphiE
06-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know how many women will be initiated as alumni at convention this year?!!

one of the main reasons i'm going this year (besides the fact that i CAN'T bear to miss convention) is b/c one of my chapter sister's mother will also be initiated into our sisterhood! (did that make any sense?)

I'm so excited and PROUD.. i absolutely cannot wait to meet your grandmother!! (for the time being send her my love AND best wishes!)

winneythepooh7
06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
hey ladies, ok, i feel dumb but people can get initiated into DPhiE as alums? could you PM me with more info about this?

bcdphie
06-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by A Random DphiE
i'll be there!!

when are you arriving!?!?

I arrive tuesday afternoon - it's going to be a very long day - my flight leaves Vancouver at 7am, which means I have to be there shortly after 5am - which means I will be up at some ungodly hour - probably 3:30am :eek:. I'm just happy I live 5 minutes from the airport.

shadokat
06-09-2004, 09:49 AM
I know how you feel siob. My flight has been changed for the fourth time, and I know leave at 7:48 am on Tuesday...which means leaving the house at 5 am, which means getting up in the dark. UGH! But it'll be worth it. :) I only live ten minutes from the airport, but it's soooooo long waiting for security.

NutBrnHair
06-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Y'all are going to San Antonio too! The Chi Omega Convention is June 25-30. Maybe I'll leave a little "welcome" sign in the airport for ya!

A Random DphiE
06-09-2004, 10:19 AM
my flight also leaves at 7am, but i'm not as lucky as you both, the airport my flight leaves from is a good 1/2 to hour away depending on traffic!

BTW: Convention is 21 days away! (and counting!) :D :D :D

LPIDelta
06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know how many women will be initiated as alumni at convention this year?!!

My understanding is that there will be four alumna initiates at Convention this year.

And yes--you can get initiated into DPhiE as alumna. That's how I got here! I was part of a colony that did not charter until after I graduated. Most of the time, our alumna initiates are women who have served the sorority in some way--as an advisor or house mother etc. And then we have a few that we recruited because of what they had to offer our sisterhood. If you want more info, just PM me.

Incidentally, besides Chi Omega's Convention before we officially start, Delta Delta Delta will have their Convention in San Antonio during the same time that we are there! San Antonio will be flooded with sorority women!

PoohsHoneyBee
06-09-2004, 09:15 PM
How do women get nominated to be initiated? Does it only happen during convention?

Thanks.

LPIDelta
06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Any member or chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon can sponsor someone for alumna initiation. Approval to initiate an alumna is granted by the International President. Initiation can be conducted by a chapter or at a Delta Phi Epsilon function (like Convention) etc. My chapter held a ceremony specifically for me. Gamma Gamma chapter at Schreiner initiated their advisor's wife before a regular chapter meeting. There have been others who have been initiated at volunteer training meetings and, of course, at Convention.

It is a really neat opportunity for women who did not have an opportunity for traditional collegiate sorority experience.

fire1977
06-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I will be there!

And don't even complain about 7am. My flight leaves at 6:30am! That means I have to be at the airport by at least 5:30am and it's about at least 45 minutes away! boohoo! haha.

PoohsHoneyBee
06-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Aww you guys...

I'll be driving two and a half hours. ;)

Oh guess what, I bought a puppy today!!! He's a little baby chihuahua and his name is Rocco!!

I'm so excited.

bcdphie
06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
I have to be at the airport at 5am, because my flight is international, so 2 hours before take off. It's just too early ;).

eta: Plus I get to deal with customs at 5:30 in the morning...

fire1977
06-13-2004, 09:34 PM
well you should all be able to spot me, I'll be looking like a big old zombie!! lol :p

A Random DphiE
06-14-2004, 07:24 AM
16 more days and counting!!!!!

:D :p :D :p :D

shadokat
06-22-2004, 01:52 PM
One week to go, and I still can't find sandals for the banquet!!!!

bcdphie
06-22-2004, 02:20 PM
this time next week I will have just arrived in Dallas and waiting to connect to San Antonio (if my flights are on time ;)).

shadokat
06-23-2004, 09:36 AM
One week to go...dear lord!

LPIDelta
06-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by bcdphie
this time next week I will have just arrived in Dallas and waiting to connect to San Antonio (if my flights are on time ;)).

Good luck with that!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Peaches-n-Cream
06-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Have fun at Convention DPhiEs!!!

PoohsHoneyBee
06-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Going shopping for convention today!

Taking my Spanish final early Tuesday...glad I got out of class. ;)

I can't wait to meet everyone, I'm so excited.

A Random DphiE
06-25-2004, 04:13 PM
i'm going shopping for convention tomorrow! :D

(but i'm not going to spend too much over here,
b/c i heard that the mall at Riverwalk is to DIE for!) :D :D :D

bcdphie
06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
This is a crazy question, but is convention related (well for me)...

can you buy smarties in the US?

Peaches-n-Cream
06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
This is a crazy question, but is convention related (well for me)...

can you buy smarties in the US?

The candy? YES!

If smarties are something else, I don't know.

bcdphie
06-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
The candy? YES!

Chocolate candy, covered in coloured shells, like M&Ms?

Peaches-n-Cream
06-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Chocolate candy, covered in coloured shells, like M&Ms?

They are not chocolate. I think they are tart or sour and sweet candies. I just did a google search. (Boy am I ever bored tonight, lol!) According to www.smarties.com :

I bought Smarties in Canada, and they were more like M&M's. What gives?
A: Ce De Candy only owns the trademark to the name Smarties in the United States. Outside the United States, Smarties is a registered trademark of Societe' des Produits Nestle' S.A. and are more like M&M's. If you are in Canada, and want your tart and sweet favorite candy look for Rockets!

So American Smarties are more like Canadian Rockets. Canadian Smarties are like American M&M's. If you want to eat Canadian Smarties at Convention, I think that you need to bring them. If you bring Smarties, make sure you have enough for everyone, lol! ;) I hope that I answered your candy questions. :) BTW American Smarties are good, but not as good as M&M's.

Have fun at Convention!

bcdphie
06-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Thank you Noreen ;).

Peaches-n-Cream
06-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Thank you Noreen ;).

You're welcome, Siobhan. :D

PoohsHoneyBee
06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I want a smartie! :)

You all are going to have a really great time in Texas.
The mall is great and it has a PURPLE STORE.

fire1977
06-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Excuse me while fire1977 goes on a rant.....

I am very nervous! I have never flown before and I have to give a workshop which I am afraid will be very boring!

WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?!?!?:eek: :confused: :(

aopirose
06-28-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by fire1977

I am very nervous! I have never flown before and I have to give a workshop which I am afraid will be very boring!

You were thinking that you are well-versed and highly qualified to lead the workshop. Your sisters have great faith in you or they wouldn't have bothered to ask you. You will be awesome!

As for flying, just think of it as a bus that goes REALLY FAST! Sorry, I just saw the Beverly Hillbillies epsiode where they fly for the first time.

PureGoldF2K1
06-28-2004, 01:53 AM

Aww you're going to do just fine!! Trust me, you run workshops/meetings very well and everyone will be positively captivated :D

And flying is soooo safe! Just bring a magazine and some gum, and dont think too much about it. (and if you go up to the cockpit, maybe they'll give you honorary pilots wings and you'll forget all about being scared haha)

Have a great time!

fire1977
06-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys! I don't know why I'm so nervous but I'm really excited to be going to San Antonio. One more day!!

33girl
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM

But C you can visit the PITTSBURGH AIR MALL beforehand. Shopping is the cure for nerves! :)

fire1977
06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
HAHHA - I have been on a shopping rampage the last 2 weeks. I'm never going to be able to do a security deposit on a new apartment! But on the bright side at least when I am homeless I will have fabulous shoes.

I am happy that I get to ride the people movers - I LOVE those things, I wish they had them at malls. HAHA, besides - I'm leaving at an hour of the morning that I have not seen since I was in high school.

LPIDelta
06-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by PoohsHoneyBee
I want a smartie! :)

You all are going to have a really great time in Texas.
The mall is great and it has a PURPLE STORE.

I just went into that store yesterday--its called "Primarily Purple" and it has UNICORNS all over the place inside. A must see if you're shopping. If you're interested, I think its on the top level, head toward the Marriott side of the mall.

Safe travels to everyone! See you when you get here!!

fire1977
06-29-2004, 01:00 AM
One more day!

bcdphie
06-29-2004, 06:20 AM
Well it's just after 3am here in Vancouver, I'm already up and getting ready to head to the airport.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip! I will see you in Texas. :D :cool:

winneythepooh7
07-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey ladies. I can't be with you all in Texas but I am thinking of you all this weekend:D Be sure to post up lots of stuff about convention when you get back.

:D :D :D :D :D :D Allison

LPIDelta
07-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Convention was great!

Heather T--you rock and deserve all the recognition you received (thankfully, there were times you actually should be up at the dais during the banquet!) And by the way--that dress was tres cute!

Siobhan--thanks for taking care of my Texas chapters so well--Canada rules as usual.

Alpha Gamma--you set the standard for sisterhood--thanks for your work on the jewelry resolution. And thanks for recruiting such wonderful women for our sorority.

And all the other DPhiEs reading this--thanks for supporting our sorority. To those that weren't at Convention, you were missed and we hope you'll attend the NEXT Convention in 2006.

YITS,
Heather

shadokat
07-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Wow...that's all I can say...I can't believe it's already over and I'm finally home! :D To any collegiate reading this, I hope you all had as fabulous a time as I did!!

Heather M - Thank you so much! You are going to rock that Education Foundation! And don't be surprised if I take you up on that offer we talked about last night! You have done AMAZING things for Membership Development in your time on council, and I thank you so much!

Siobhan - it was SOOOO great to finally meet you!! I love all you Canadian girls, and I will proudly be wearing my little Canada flag!! Also, it was so great to get to be part of grand chapter as alumnae associations, eh? ;)

Cheyenne - your session was great, you flew like a champ I'm sure! Thanks so much for coming with me to the Riverwalk with only an hour to the banquet and helping me get jewelry! You are an amazing MRA, and your girls from Pitt were awesome!! Remind them, they owe me a t-shirt!

Carolina from Alpha Gamma - you women are an inspiration to all of D Phi E, and you are SOOO awesome!! Thanks for all your help with the banquet balloons, and congrats for all your successes! You deserve them all :) And the initiation of Maria's mom, wow...so great!

And to the woman here who posts from Alpha Epsilon, met your ladies, and they rock!! The one sister with the dark hair wore the absolute cutest skirts each day! You gotta love Georgia girls :)

To all of you who weren't there, we all had you in our hearts!! I cried more at this convention then ever...D Phi E rocks...all I can say!!! I love you all!!!

PoohsHoneyBee
07-05-2004, 10:58 AM
I got SMARTIES!!! I'm so cool. :)

And I still have the two boxes Siobhan gave me in my purse. I tasted Naomi's. I plan on showing them off until I can no longer fight the temptation.

Region 3 Rocks!

A Random DphiE
07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
all in all, Convention was AMAZING!

It was GREAt to put so many faces to the names, and to see the many facets of DphiE!

If i learned ONE thing this year from Convention its that this organization is composed of thousands of AMAZING women who come from all ends of the spectrum and as a result, make up this WONDERFUL organization.

It was an honor to meet ya'll,
and as Mimi told me "Nothing can keep me away[from DphiE]!"

I hope this is the beginning of a "beautiful friendship", and i hope to continue to see each of you for conventions to come...

as always, please do not hesitate to call upon me if ya'll ever need anything! (im serious!)

as brief as our time was, you have all earned a place in my heart!

YITS,
carolina

PS: Here's to the crazy ones... because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do...;)

LPIDelta
07-06-2004, 10:49 PM
PS: Here's to the crazy ones... because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do...;)

Okay--totally have tears in my eyes now.

As my grandmother offered her reflections on Convention, she said that she felt as if she met many women who would go out to change the world. I hope so!!

Carolina--you're awesome.