PDA

View Full Version : How many people live in NYC?

winneythepooh7
05-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Just curious to see how many GC'ers live in the NYC area?

AEPhiSierra
05-29-2004, 04:32 PM
well you have a brooklyn girl right here

ZTAMich
05-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Queens...on the way into Manhattan this summer

PhiPsiRuss
05-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Over 8,000,000, in the city limits, including me.:)

Tom Earp
05-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Do People really live in NYC or just subcist?:confused:

Ah NYC, do you own a car, ride the transit as cannot afford to park a vehicle. Live out of town and ride the train?

Have visited NY City and stayed in some good hotels! GAG!:(

Lot to see if you are not working. I guess.:confused:

PrincessPhiSig
05-29-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm moving to North Bergen, NJ on Monday and I start work in Midtown on Tuesday! :)

PhiPsiRuss
05-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Do People really live in NYC or just subcist?We live life far more than the living death that is the suburbs and small cities.

DolphinChicaDDD
05-30-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm a Jersey Girl...but can throw a rock at Staten Island. Seriously. I've done it before.

Sister Havana
05-30-2004, 02:36 AM
I plan to one day...does that count? :D

PhiPsiRuss
05-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
I'm a Jersey Girl...but can throw a rock at Staten Island. Seriously. I've done it before. You get a gold star.

http://vicmart.com/ext/items/3d61cea8_bgheronrbrep2.jpg

hottytoddy
05-30-2004, 03:27 PM
This southern girl is moving there in September!! I am going in a few weeks to start looking for an apartment!

CatStarESP4
05-30-2004, 05:12 PM
I used to live in NYC: Manhattan and Queens to be exact. I live in Arizona now.

ZTAMich
05-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hottytoddy
This southern girl is moving there in September!! I am going in a few weeks to start looking for an apartment!

Good luck! I'm looking for a new place right now, not so fun.

Peaches-n-Cream
05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Yo! New Yorker in the house! ;)

hottytoddy
05-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ZTAMich
Good luck! I'm looking for a new place right now, not so fun.

Thanks. I think when we first move we are going to sub-lease or something for a short period of time until we decide just what part of NY we want to live in. One of our friends that lives up there is a real estate agent so he is going to help us. I am not looking forward to finding a place...but I am looking forward to living in the city!

AlphaSigOU
05-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
You get a gold star.

http://vicmart.com/ext/items/3d61cea8_bgheronrbrep2.jpg

Nice... Hero of the People's Republic of Bulgaria? (That's what the inscription on the back of the medal reads from the Cyrillic. Identical in style to the Hero of the Soviet Union medal, back in the old days of the Evil Empire.) :)

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 07:24 PM

Good luck! It costs an arm and a leg to find a good apartment here in NY. Any particular areas you are considering? I would love to live in Manhattan but refuse to pay over $1000 a month for rent, that is insane. I live in Queens, 10 minutes from Grand Central. I pay $630, have a large apt. in a quiet residential neighborhood and I can have pets.

Peaches-n-Cream
05-31-2004, 07:29 PM
hottytoddy, if you are moving during the summer, you should contact NYU. Sometimes they rent out dorm space for decent rates. You should contact their residential life ASAP. Good luck!

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
hottytoddy, if you are moving during the summer, you should contact NYU. Sometimes they rent out dorm space for decent rates. You should contact their residential life ASAP. Good luck!

Also check out craigslist.org.

They have a whole section for apartments and sublets.

ZTAMich
05-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
Also check out craigslist.org.

They have a whole section for apartments and sublets.

I've been on there for the past half an hour. As much as I have liked living in Queens, it's time to GO. As much as my lifestyle will have to change after my rent expenses go up by at least $300! :rolleyes: Living in Queens, working in the Bronx and hanging with friends who all live in Manhattan is getting to be tooo much.

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 08:28 PM
I've been on there for the past half an hour. As much as I have liked living in Queens, it's time to GO. As much as my lifestyle will have to change after my rent expenses go up by at least $300! :rolleyes: Living in Queens, working in the Bronx and hanging with friends who all live in Manhattan is getting to be tooo much.

I understand what you are saying. I hate commuting and I was just offered a really good therapist position in the Bronx but one of the main reasons I turned it down was cause of the commute. It was not really near a subway and I figured the cost of tolls, gas and just annoyances of dealing with rush hour traffic weren't worth it. I know me well and those things bug me. I only live 10 minutes from Manhattan and it's like going to another country coming to another borough for some people. I like my neighborhood though and feel that I have the best of everything (and I am close to everything) right where I am. Besides, my job is in Queens too. If I had to commute from Manhattan to Queens every day that would be annoying. But a Manhattan-Manhattan commute is also annoying probably, especially for those coming from the Upper East Side on the 4, 5, or 6 train.

Munchkin03
05-31-2004, 10:11 PM
I've got at least a year here in Manhattan. I just signed an extension onto my lease until 31 May 2005. No moving for a year! :D

I seriously do not know what I'm going to do after I get out of grad school. I want to stay in the city for a while (since I have no children or any other obligations and FH will be in school here too) , but I have certain standards when it comes to boroughs and specific places within those boroughs.

Mich, are you looking for your own place or with a roomie?

ZTAMich
05-31-2004, 10:23 PM
I commute Queens to Bronx thru Manhattan every day. I don't like it. And on elem. school time it's becoming brutal!!! The neighborhood out here is great, I feel too like I'm in a different world and it's nice. But besides the commute, going out on the weekend is killing me too!! Takes at least half an hour to get to Grand Central and I don't feel so safe coming back late so I'm either taking cabs $$$$ or staying with people overnight (ok that's not sooo bad...) Anyway, when my roommate got engaged and will be moving in with her husband in July I took it as a sign to start looking to stop being a bridge & tunnel girl.

I'm trying to set up a 2br deal with a friend of a friend, but she and I have been playing phone tag. I have no problem living alone but hope we can get a place a little nicer if we split it.

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I've got at least a year here in Manhattan. I just signed an extension onto my lease until 31 May 2005. No moving for a year! :D

I seriously do not know what I'm going to do after I get out of grad school. I want to stay in the city for a while (since I have no children or any other obligations and FH will be in school here too) , but I have certain standards when it comes to boroughs and specific places within those boroughs.

Mich, are you looking for your own place or with a roomie?

what kinds of "standards" are you looking for? i find that many people who haven't ventured outside of manhattan think that all the other boroughs are the ghetto. simply not so. there are some neighborhoods i wouldn't go in at night either but i have no problems living where i am. i think it's smarter to stay put in queens then move into an apartment smaller then i am living in now just to be in manhattan, or worse yet, have to have a roommate (ugh). i like hanging out in manhattan but i have the best of times right here in my own neighborhood. i can walk to the bar, don't have to ride the subway or pay for a cab, and drinks are half if not 3/4 less then in manhattan. besides, the "boroughs" are where most of the "native" new yorkers are anyways.

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 10:40 PM
hi again :) i am not looking to move (see above LOL) but for those of you who are planning to move into manhattan i can understand why when certain neighborhoods that are "trendy" now in queens and bklyn are charging the same amount for rent (or more).

take astoria and park slope for example.

Munchkin03
05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
what kinds of "standards" are you looking for? i find that many people who haven't ventured outside of manhattan think that all the other boroughs are the ghetto. simply not so.

besides, the "boroughs" are where most of the "native" new yorkers are anyways.

Well, since I'll be working in Manhattan for the first few years of my career, I will gladly pay for the convenience of living close to home. I'm two subway stops away from my job right now and I LOVE IT. If I had a job that put me in the outer boroughs more often, I'd consider it. But, most of the firms in my field are in Manhattan.

There are some places in Manhattan I wouldn't live in--it's not about an area being "ghetto," it's just about personal preferences.

Since I'm not a native New Yorker, my living in an outer borough will not authenticate my residency. :)

ZTAMich
05-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Well, since I'll be working in Manhattan for the first few years of my career, I will gladly pay for the convenience of living close to home. I'm two subway stops away from my job right now and I LOVE IT. If I had a job that put me in the outer boroughs more often, I'd consider it. But, most of the firms in my field are in Manhattan.

I'm turning Green with envy right now.

Peaches-n-Cream
05-31-2004, 11:31 PM
For those of you looking, there is a new building advertising their co-ops for the starting price of only $1.4 million. Any takers? :eek: :eek:

ZTAMich
05-31-2004, 11:32 PM
For those of you looking, there is a new building advertising their co-ops for the starting price of only $1.4 million. Any takers? :eek: :eek:

To quote my favorite ficitional NYC Girl Carrie Bradshaw...

"I just charged tomatoes, I really don't think I'm in the position to buy an apartment."

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 11:33 PM
i think if i try to get all of my other Social Worker friends together we may be able to afford it LOL. i think that money could be better spent opening a new social service program.

winneythepooh7
05-31-2004, 11:34 PM
To quote my favorite ficitional NYC Girl Carrie Bradshaw...

"I just charged tomatoes, I really don't think I'm in the position to buy an apartment."

that was such a great episode.

hottytoddy
06-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Well we want to live in Manhattan. We are planning to look a few places...East Village, Upper East, Upper West, MurrayHill...etc. We are going to look and see what we can afford. The good thing about us is we don't mind living in a small space/sharing a 1 BR. I know it's not ideal but that doesn't bother me. I've lived in a dorm sized room with a roommate for the past 4.5 years--I figure it won't start getting on my nerves now.

I have looked on craigslist and a few other sites. As far as NYU goes--I am not moving til September. We want to try like a 6 month sublease until we find out where we will be working and what areas we like. I am going in late June to start looking. I've been looking up all kinds of fun places to go out. Know any good bars?

ZTAMich
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Well we want to live in Manhattan. We are planning to look a few places...East Village, Upper East, Upper West, MurrayHill...etc. We are going to look and see what we can afford. The good thing about us is we don't mind living in a small space/sharing a 1 BR. I know it's not ideal but that doesn't bother me. I've lived in a dorm sized room with a roommate for the past 4.5 years--I figure it won't start getting on my nerves now.

I have looked on craigslist and a few other sites. As far as NYU goes--I am not moving til September. We want to try like a 6 month sublease until we find out where we will be working and what areas we like. I am going in late June to start looking. I've been looking up all kinds of fun places to go out. Know any good bars?

Ya'll will do ok I think looking to split a 1BR. I haven't shared a room in 4 years so I'm not ready to go back to that, even for extra $$$.

As far as bars....girl do we know how to party!! ;) Shecky's Bar, Club & Lounge Guide is sitting next to me as I type this.

Peaches-n-Cream
06-01-2004, 12:13 AM
How many roommates do you plan on having?

winneythepooh7
06-01-2004, 12:22 AM
there are so many places to go in nyc. you'll have to come join the NYC Greek Alumni group I am "trying" to start.

what kind of jobs are you looking for?

Munchkin03
06-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes. I go out ALL THE TIME. I tend to stay away from the Upper West Side bars (too close to home), and I like the Lower East and East Village for going out. Most of my good friends here are from the city, so they know some pretty cool places.

When Mr and I were looking for an apartment (before I found out that he qualifies on-campus housing) we realized that, for $300 more than the average 1BR, we could get a 2 BR. Split between 2 people, it really wouldn't be that bad.

xo_kathy
06-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I used to be a Queens girl - 4 years. But now I am a proud member of the "I Love the Suburbs Club"! I live in Westchester. My commute door to door is the same as when I was in Queens, though actual time on the train is about 20 minutes less and the Metro North trains are sooooo much better than the subway! Of course, I'm a mid-Western girl at heart, so the burbs really keep me happy here! :D

ZTAMich
06-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Today is my 1yr anniversary of living here in the city! Yay me!

And in true New York fashion I forgot my monthly unlimited metrocard today and paid the fare in QUARTERS because I was so mad!! Muahahahha

Kathy, so many people I know at work (in the Bronx) live just over the city line and love it. Great commute time. Tho one girl I am friendly with lives in Poughkeepsie and commutes down to 125th street every day and then back up 5 stops or so to our school. 2 hr commute?? That I could not do.

Jacqui, we've probably passed each other one of these weekends out, my friends & I love the lower east & west side. And what you're saying about the money not coming out to that much gives me a little hope for my move too!

hottytoddy
06-02-2004, 12:16 AM
OK there's definitely me & another girl moving up there. But there may be one more. So there may be 3 of us. If there are 3 of us we are definitely going to get a 2 br at least.

I don't know what kind of job I am going to be looking for. I think I am just going to apply to everything that sounds interesting and see what happens....if nothing comes from that I'll just find whatever I can...I'll be in NY!!!

The last time I was up there we went to some pretty cool bars...some were in the village.... I can't remember where all we went. I was told to get an afternoon cocktail on the roof of Sutton Place....?

Peaches-n-Cream
06-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Sutton Place is fun. I used to go there all the time. I am a few blocks away from there right now. A bartender used to hook my friends and me up with free cosmopolitans because he accidentally drenched one of my friends with water. She sacrificed so we all could benefit, lol! The drinks on the roof are more expensive than the drinks downstairs which stinks. Oh well.

hottytoddy
06-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Sutton Place is fun. I used to go there all the time. I am a few blocks away from there right now. A bartender used to hook my friends and me up with free cosmopolitans because he accidentally drenched one of my friends with water. She sacrificed so we all could benefit, lol! The drinks on the roof are more expensive than the drinks downstairs which stinks. Oh well.

Yea!! keep the nightlife suggestions coming!

Rudey
06-02-2004, 12:54 AM
The best place ever in NYC was twilo in my opinion. But that whole partying in a warehouse type scene got old and I think lounges picked up (saci, lotus, etc.). Anyway, here's a pretty cool website for you to see the nightlife in nyc www.clubplanet.com.

The village attracts a lot of nyu freaks and then it seems as if the other people there are old. I didn't like it but maybe because I didn't really know too much about the bar scene there.

-Rudey

winneythepooh7
06-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't know what kind of job I am going to be looking for. I think I am just going to apply to everything that sounds interesting and see what happens....if nothing comes from that I'll just find whatever I can...I'll be in NY!!!

Hey you :) I am sure you've heard this all before, but just so you stress yourself out less, try to have a job secured BEFORE you move to NY. I know so many people that are out of work right now, being laid off or working at low-paying jobs because they cannot find work in the city. I just got my Master's degree and had to accept a position a little bit below what I KNOW I am qualified to be doing, but I need to pay my rent and I am using it as a stepping stone for the time being. NYC is one of the most expensive places in the country (I am sure you know) and you constantly find yourself shelling out $$$$$ for everything and anything. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in your transition. I do have some connections in the Social Work field for entry-level kind of stuff if you don't have that background :)

KillarneyRose
06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Former New York City dweller here! 67th and First Ave, then Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Now I'm happily living in the suburbs, though :)

PhiPsiRuss
06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
The last time I was up there we went to some pretty cool bars...some were in the villageDid you go to McSorley's? Its one of my favorites.

winneythepooh7
06-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I haven't been there in ages. Maybe we should plan the next NYC Greek Alum event there IF people are going to actually come LOL.

Rudey
06-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Did you go to McSorley's? Its one of my favorites.

Isn't that an NYU bar with annoying college kids who wear birkenstocks?

-Rudey
--There isn't enough choice for beer there either

PhiPsiRuss
06-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Rudey
Isn't that an NYU bar with annoying college kids who wear birkenstocks?

-Rudey
--There isn't enough choice for beer there either No birkenstocks, and its a mixed crowd. They have two types of beer; light and dark. What more do you need?

McSorley's originally opened in 1854, and never allowed women until they lost a lawsuit in the early 1970s. If that isn't a good reason to love the place, I don't know what is.

PhiPsiRuss
06-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I haven't been there in ages. Maybe we should plan the next NYC Greek Alum event there IF people are going to actually come LOL. The best time to go to McSorley's is in the summer, but the place gets real cramped, real quick. It may not be a good place for a large group to meet.

winneythepooh7
06-02-2004, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rudey
[B]Isn't that an NYU bar with annoying college kids who wear birkenstocks?

Whenever I've gone there it's always been a mixed crowd as well. Some of the best bars are in my neighborhood though, Sunnyside, Queens. Very Irish neighborhood and very cheap pints. The bartenders always do buy-backs too.

hottytoddy
06-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the help New Yorkers!! I have a feeling I am going to need to do a lot of adjusting moving from such a small town. But I am ready for it.

And I am going to definitely TRY to have a job before I move there. But I know some places won't even give you an interview unles you have an address there. So...hopefully I will be able to find something.

What's the weather like there in mid-late June? It better not rain.