PDA

View Full Version : BSP'ers who are APO Brothers too

daffodils
05-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I've got a few quesions for the BSP sisters who are also Brothers of Alpha Phi Omega:

1) which did you join first? why?
2) what did you find in one which complimented the other? (no ritual information, please)
3) why did you seek out the complimentary GLO?
4) do you wear insignia of both simultaneously? In what occasion? why or why not?

Thanks bunches!!

BSP_Nicole
05-25-2004, 07:17 PM
1. I joined APO first, when I was in college at D&E.

2. The community service aspect is in both (one thing I loved about APO, and something that attracted me to BSP). Also, the socialization in both.

3. I looked into BSP after I graduated from college. I moved away from the APO chapter that I was in, and there were no APO chapters close to where I moved to (I have moved again, and there still are no APO chapters close to me). I wanted to be in an organization that gave me the same satisfaction I had as when I was in APO.

4. I have never worn the insignia for both groups simultaniously. I don't think I would. Since I am not active in APO right now, I would probably only wear my BSP stuff (unless it was an APO function).

Hope this helps.

Nicole

Jill1228
05-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I think Erica is a brother too

BadSquirrelBeta
05-26-2004, 02:16 AM
And I am sorry, but it folded right after I joined and I remember nothing but standing in a big circle.

OrigamiTulip
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
1. I joined Beta first, then APO.

2 & 3. I really wanted to be a part of hand-on service, instead of just writing a check to donate to a cause, which is what the Beta chapters in Gainesville usually did. I chose APO instead of another community service group like the Jaycees because I wanted to be a part of something permanently connected to my school. I had thought about joining APO when I was in school the first time, but got talked out of it. I was told that APO and NPC sororities were mutually exclusive, and since at the time I was working to bring an NPC to UF (which never came to fruition), I passed on the opportunity to join APO. I'm glad that when I went back to school to take some post-bac classes, the chapter looked past my age and status, and gave me the opportunity to join. Better late than never, I say. Besides, Beta gave me sisters, I needed APO to give me brothers, and make my family complete.... :)

4. I haven't had an occasion to wear both insignia at the same time. I'm not sure I can think of an occasion where I would wear both, though...

BSP_Nicole
05-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BadSquirrelBeta
And I am sorry, but it folded right after I joined and I remember nothing but standing in a big circle.

If I had been drinking water when I read this, it would have come out of my nose. TOO FUNNY! :D

erica812
05-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Yup...I'm an APO brother, too. I joined in the spring of my freshman year in college. It was a wonderful experience. I held multiple offices, and I made terrific memories.

I started a chapter of Beta Sigma Phi in the fall of my second year in graduate school. I loved my APO experience, but I was looking for a close group of women to share my time and skills with. Beta Sigma Phi was a perfect fit!

I do hope to become involved with my APO chapter as an alum advisor or something. That won't happen until my big move is over though!

Erica