PDA

View Full Version : Party Favors

kappa2
05-07-2004, 01:52 PM
I was wondering what party favors were favorites among the various groups? After college, I must have thrown away dozens of Tshirts,sweatshirts, and things that just weren't useful after school. I was hoping to compile a list of really great favor ideas that would stand the test of time and could be used both in college and in alumnae groups. Suggestions??

MSKKG
05-07-2004, 02:05 PM
What about beach towels? We did that for one of our formals that was held at hotel near a lake. A member of my pledge class (she wound up being our president) drew the design. I still have it!

Buttonz
05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Amy type of glassware.....glasses, mugs, etc. Candles ae also nice if you get the gel ones

Glitter650
05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I think for our formal we almost always get something glass... like a champagne flute, martini glass, candle.. or something like that.. I think the most useful thing to get is probably a frame... but even there some of the alum might not use it... you're never going to please everyone or get something everyone will use. I don't intend to throw anything away now that I'm alum it's a reminder of the event and the fun.. I may not wear it as much.. but I'm going to figure out some way to use them like make a quilt or something like that.

kappa2
05-07-2004, 02:25 PM
KEEP THE IDEAS COMING-THESE ARE GREAT!
Quick question on the quilt for t-shirts -are there companies that will do it for you?

33girl
05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
If you go to a Jo-Ann Fabrics, they sometimes have quilting classes or at the very least would be able to steer you to someone who can do it for you.

I agree with the frame, but if you are doing this for alums as well, make it a nice, classic black enamel or gold or silver plate frame that just has the letters & event/date at the bottom - not one of the ones with mascots & flowers in the sorority colors.

krystle
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Hmm...Lets see, last years Sapphire Ball, we got Picture Frames and they were okay I guess. And then at the Crush Party this past fall we got little shot glasses which are always good for a girl with a shot class collection like myself. This year at the ball, I think we're ordering hospital scrubs with letters on the hip/thigh? I don't know..our social hasnt really told us yet.

But the BEST FAVORS, that I'm really excited about are the ones that the Sig Pis (and their dates..yay!) are getting tomorrow night at their Orchid Ball. Each brother is getting a 20 oz glass, a champagne flute for their date and a heavy glass pitcher...

...how come i can picture the guys drinking straight out of the pitchers? Lol. :p

DolphinChicaDDD
05-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Betta fish in a little bowl...our girls puffy painted them too (even though it was for the Kappa Sigma formal I went to).

But then again, I love fish. But I can't see someone hating a betta fish. They are super easy to take care of, and love their little tiny bowls.

As for the Tshirt quilt...
www.campusquilt.com (http://www.campusquilt.com)

ETA:My friend sent hers shirts away there, but it is $$$$$$$$$

I'm going to be making my own:D

MSKKG
05-08-2004, 10:25 AM
kappa2, in one of the past issues of The Key, there are directions on how to make a quilt from T-shirts. I think there still might be a link on the website, too.

TSteven
05-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Buttonz
Amy type of glassware.....glasses, mugs, etc.
Originally posted by Glitter650
get something glass... like a champagne flute, martini glass

I still have a Pi Beta Phi rock glass and a Alpha Xi Delta champaign cocktail glass from when I attended their formals back in college. :cool: This was over twenty years ago and I still, on occasion, use them. :D

tunatartare
05-09-2004, 01:56 PM
What about something like a nice, classy keychain? People are always going to use those.
For our family barbecue, we did blue koozies that said Kappa Lambda Psi Family Barbecue on them and had a picture of a grill. A lot of people liked those.

MSKKG
05-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Coffee mugs
Tote bags
Luggage tags (I actually have some with our badge on one side and an information card on the other, but I don't remember where I got them)

I have no clue what to tell you about the price. I guess it depends on your budget. Every now and then I'll get a catalog with "favor-type" merchandise. I think I get it as House Board Treasurer (all these companies think we're some kind of business). If I get another one soon, I'll give you their info.

tunatartare
05-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Greek Lifestyles (http://www.greeklifestyles.com) and Greek Creations (http://www.greekcreations.com) are two companies that specialize in favors. We usually get all of our formal favors from Greek Lifestyles.

chideltjen
05-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't know how much everything cost but it couldn't have been much.

We have had our last two spring formals on the beach. The first year, the girls got red beach chairs. We bring them everywhere. They are red and have a palm tree on the back with Chi Delta formal written on the back. (Our symbol is the palm tree.) They weren't that expensive when we got them in bulk.

This spring was really cool. The girls got a canvas beach bag with Chi Delta lip gloss, sunscreen, and I think flip flops. They got a hook up somewhere but the set is really cute.

AlethiaSi
05-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by kappa2
I was wondering what party favors were favorites among the various groups? After college, I must have thrown away dozens of Tshirts,sweatshirts, and things that just weren't useful after school. I was hoping to compile a list of really great favor ideas that would stand the test of time and could be used both in college and in alumnae groups. Suggestions??

i was just wondering about letters- do you do a senior passdown or senior farwell? that way the letters still get some use and other can appreciate them:)

for one of our dateparties- we got to decorate big mugs- that was really cool- and we kept ours in the house- so we all have our own mugs- for one pledge class i also did cups for all of them- so that way they had their own too

i love picture frames, keychains... beach towels sound awesome.... but i think a pitcher (most likely plastic though) would make awesome favors lol- they could be used for beer pong later too!

kappa2
05-20-2004, 12:57 AM
We did some senior "wills" for letters, but I still had a ton of stuff leftover. One thing I would love to see a chapter do is to sell all sorts of stuff-a "Senior Auction" of sorts. I would have LOVED to auction off all sorts of things that were college-oriented items and have the money go for charity. A t-shirt here, a shot glass there, even furniture or mini-fridges. Especially at large chapters, a dollar here and a dollar there can really add up.

I would love to know more about what the going accepted rate for party favors is nowadays....anyone?