PDA

View Full Version : University trying to buy our house.

Coramoor
05-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Well, I don't think Beta Psi will be in existence much longer. WVU has it's eyes set on buying our house and turning it into student housing. The funny thing is...our worthless alumni are probably going to accept the university's bid and sell.

It really pisses me off that there is nothing the brothers here can do and our nationals really don't give a fuck.

ZZ-kai-
05-06-2004, 03:55 PM
There are only TWO parties that have anything to say about your house: the House Corporation in charge of your living quarters, and the University.

The House Corporation is the landlord/owner of the house and can sell/destruct/re-build if that is what they choose to do (even at the protest of the chapter, which sucks).

The University can basically do whatever they can, because ultimately, Beta is a guest on their campus. Do you think state legislature is going to make the University build around an old greek house? Probably not, eventhough it sucks for Beta.

This may be a positive thing, imagine the new living quarters you can have if/when this takes place? It could be a sweet deal.

Lastly, the A.O./Nationals cannot really do anything, with the exception of being a mediator in the battle and give you moral support. As you are aware, our Nationals does not own any houses, local House Corp's do - which is why you may feel anger towards the A.O.

Coramoor
05-06-2004, 07:52 PM
The university has no claim to the land or the house. We are on private property and our housing corp is seperate from the Univ. However, our alum see $$ and are probably going to sell.

I frankly think that our nationals should offer a lot more support considering the amount of money we pay every semester. The only thing I ever see nationals do is send us bills and shut down chapters that don't abide by MoP.

ZZ-kai-
05-07-2004, 08:47 AM
I don't want to sit here and disagree with you because I can feel your pain. What are your options IF your House Corp. sells your house/land? Do they plan on building another house, bigger and better and more suited for your needs? If not, then I don't blame your frustration.

Again, the A.O. can't really do anything for you but offer moral support. This is a case between the University and your House Corp. The House Corp. obviously should at least listen to what the active chapter says though. Imagine you getting in trouble with the cops for felony. Its between you and the cops....your mom calls them and says "don't put my son in jail, please!!!". Do you think they're going to listen to her? No, because she is a third party who is not involved.

Its not fair for you to slam the A.O. for not helping, because they can't. And for dues that you pay them, well, those are duely allocated in the budget which is publically published. Don't forget, there are no other Headquarters in the world that has a dedicated full-time staff that Beta does. You could always choose to go local i or affiliate with another national org. if you're really that disatisfied with them - but after a year or two, you'd realize that was a mistake. Beta is the greatest fraternity on earth, we know that.

Best of luck, keep us up to date. Oh yeah, what kind of a timeframe are we looking at, 1 year, 3 years, 10 years?

lenoxxx
06-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Man I remember that place from the mid 90's gorgeous place. I had heard it was on WV's list of historic houses in the state. Are they going to annex the Phi Delt, Fiji and Sigma Chi Houses as well?

Best of luck

Jason Lenox

ECUJacob
06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear that you guys may be losing your house...you never know, maybe the Alumni will suprise you.

ntchapp
10-24-2004, 11:44 PM
--My chapter had our house destroyed so the university could build a parking lot for a new apartment complex, and since it was leased and on school land we recieved no compensation, how bad does that suck.
It was a few years back but we still have not recovered in numbers, prestige, or power.
We finally got a house last fall but it can barely be called a house to be honest.
It is on the street on the campus edge so now they have no control over it.
Soon we hope to buy the house and lot, and if the opportunity arises for you I suggest you do the same, whether for your current house, or the house you buy in the future.

-ntchapp

Coramoor
11-03-2004, 09:44 AM
More than likely nothing is going to happen. We have a really odd housing corp. The President of it works directly for the University and isn't a Beta-so doesn't have the same feelings for this as the brothers do.

We had a board meeting and none of the alumni will even consider it. There are too many clauses in the contract that would fuck us.