PDA

View Full Version : hello kappas!

kappameg
03-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi girls! i'm new to greek chat and I'm really excited about getting to know everyone...

I'm a part of the zeta chi chapter at marist college... we are a pretty small group, with maybe 35 sisters?

The reason I'm posting is because there's a question that many of us have and we weren't sure what the answer is... Our chapter is obviously pretty small, and we do not have a Chapter House... we were all wondering how Chapters with houses were able to get them... does the chapter pay for the house? does kappa buy it for the chapter? If the college is hesititant towards allowing us to have a house, will Kappa back us up? Our chapter is hitting some rough times, and many of us feel that having a house could help make things run more smoothly...

thanks girls!

L&L, Meg ;)

~*Kappa Kappa Gamma*~
"It's not for everyone, but that's the beauty of it..."

ISUKappa
03-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Welcome Meg! This is a great group of girls and we will try and answer questions if/when we can. :)

I am by no means an expert, but I would start off by checking with the University first about rules for Greek housing. They vary from school to school--some Greek houses are universtiy owned, some are chapter owned, some are rented--it just depends on the individual chapter and school. Imsohappythatiama can give a better answer, but I believe that, where possible, the chapter house is owned by the chapter--through the House Board Corporation.

It is not an easy feat to get a chapter house--even for a smaller chapter. There are so many different hoops that need to be jumped through before the process can even start. It is a lengthy process that is often very very expensive and time-consuming. There needs to be a strong alumnae base near to act as House Board and make sure all the details are followed correctly. I would do a search on GC for building new chapter houses to gain some more insight on the process.

What is your housing situation like now? Do you live in residence halls and have a chapter room somewhere? Do you mainly live off-campus? What are the issues you feel you're struggling with? Perhaps someone who didn't have a chapter house yet still was a member of a cohesive chapter has some suggestions that may help. And always, you can get in touch with your PDC, RDC or HQ with any concerns you may have about your chapter.

Good luck!!

kappameg
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
thanks for replying to quickly!!

Our housing situation right now is actually non-exsistant... we are all doing our own thing, living with our non-greek roommates in on-campus facilities. There may be 2 or 3 kappas that live together, but do so with 5 or 6 non-Greeks...

I figured it would probably be very difficult to get moving on this. It just gets to be frustrating because some of us really feel that if there was a place where we could all live together in a recognized "kappa" house, it would make things much easier on the chapter and make us stronger! Also, we've encoutered one too many unpleasant situations with getting a room reserved for our weekly meetings and other events.

It just seems that having a Kappa house makes everything run much more smoothly and makes everyone a lot happier! :)