PDA

View Full Version : After graduation

JMUduke
03-18-2004, 12:38 AM
I am sure those of you who are seniors are apprehensive about graduation if you don't know what your plans are yet. I myself have no idea what I am going to do besides try to find a job.

My problems are compounded by the fact that all my friends are a year younger than me so graduating is scaring the $sh!t out of me because I don't really know anyone out in the real world who is going to be in my area. I was just wondering if anyone out there has been in this situation before and has any good advice about jobs, friends, etc.

Thanks

XOMichelle
03-18-2004, 11:44 AM
That happened to me too... Everyone that was older than me moved away, or dissappeared of the face fo the planet, so I had no clue what I was going to do. Not only that, but I spent the year applying to med school only to get put on wait lists that expired in Aug (could that be the definition of purgatory?).

Four Days before graduation I decided to not move home with my parents (Mom lives in WI) and stay in Clifornia in a friend's apartment. I found a crappy job, got an apartment of my own and started looking for a real job. I got one, and am living on my own. I stayed near campus because there were lots of people here that I knew, or could call up after not talking to for a year or so. In Milwaukee, there was no one but Mom and the dog.

My advice, pick a place to live that you will like being, get a cheap place to live, and stick your nose out there. If you have a career center go there for help with your resume and cover letters, start thinking about what you want to do. You can do whatever you want, how many people can say that??
-M

BrandiDZ
03-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I am in the same situation right now. I just graduated in December, and will start law school in the fall. But all of my friends are still undergrads, and many of them will be graduating this spring and then moving home. I feel like I'm starting over again just like when I entered college. My friends should just follow me to whatever law school I go to:)

adpiucf
03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
I moved to LA not long after graduation, 3000 miles from any family or friends.

Had I not sought out my sorority's alumnae association in LA, I don't know what I would have done! It provided me with an instant support system, opportunities to learn my way around town, make friends and develop connections. I also got involved advising, etc., and I thank goodness for our alumnae involvement today, otherwise I would've moved home in the first week!

TexasOphiA
04-06-2004, 02:22 AM
I am in the same situation. I haven't had time to look for a real job or anything, so I am getting kind of scared.

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you!

Tucker Carlson
07-06-2006, 01:35 AM
well once that 5th year rolls around you need to start thinking about graduating following these steps will lead to great success.

1. Take a year and search for job - while living in your college town - go to football games and parties as alumni dont go to meeting though - you dont wanna be that guy. drink alot of beer and play alot of golf inbetween all the interviews that you are having. Make use of your connections and shmooze alumni. Search for a girl that you could get a serious relationship with. and before the year is up you will have a good job at an alumni's business

2. Move to desired location and keep your girlfriend. Return to football games and tell all the undergrads how it was when you were there. develop alumni connections with those your age and 2 years above and below you. play golf, buy a boat and stocks.

3. Get Married if your not already and have kids. Drive big gas guzzling SUV's like tahoes. let your alumni friendships get you promoted. Get season tickets to the football games. Get a country club membership if you dont have one already.

4. Name the alumni golf tournament after youself by making a large donation. Make your kids play real sports like baseball and football. Go to their game and get suckered into coaching them. Win the championship and tell the old coach he sucked. Get your wife a Range rover and buy another tahoe