PDA

View Full Version : How do you greet each other....

Nosey
05-19-2000, 01:05 PM
It couldn't be http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif. I doubt if they get down like that. I think it's different between fraternities and sororities but I doubt seriously is sororities greet each other like that.

FutureLawyer
05-19-2000, 01:08 PM
While we are on the subject.... I know an AKA and a Delta that are best friends and I've heard them call each other "Sorors". Now, call me ignorant if need be, but I thought that "soror" meant sorority sisters (i.e. the same organization). Like i said if others knew me to be wrong, excuse my ignorance.

SkeeWee14
05-19-2000, 02:01 PM
I know that with myself and two of my very close Delta friends (one just happens to be more like a sister), we sometimes greet each other with a skee-oop or vice versa. We don't do that in public among a lot of other people and it's only done among the three of us. Not even on a regular basis. I would NEVER greet another Delta that way nor do I believe they will NEVER greet one of my sorors that way. I think that some people would be offended by that coming from a member of another sorority. We were close friends before any of us pledged so that is the ONLY reason it's acceptable among us.

AKAtude
05-19-2000, 02:15 PM
Hey Soror SkeeWee14, one of my best friends from college is a Delta we both pledged our sororities the same semester. After we crossed, we began greeting each other with Oop-Skee and Skee-Oop. But like you said, we only did it when too many people weren't around. I also looked through an old photo album that the historian of my undergrad chapter had and the AKAs and Deltas on my campus had an "Oop-Skee" party years earlier.

ZetaAce
05-19-2000, 02:16 PM
I too have seen sororities greet each other this way. One of my closest friends is a Delta and has said O00P-Zee to me and I have switched it up and done it to her. We were friends long before either one of us had any organizational affiliation. It's not unheard of but like SkeeWee14 said, it's not something that's done on a regular basis.

I've never called someone in another organization Soror, and I have never heard it done, but I have heard people use the term Sister-Soror, it's just a way of showing a little bit of greek love.

Ghostface-Killah
05-19-2000, 07:23 PM
It is wierd ot me, maybe because of the location but, a soror is anyone in a BGLO. People do not address eachother as such - I have heard, greek soror to refer to members or other org. I have never heard or seen anyone greet eachother with ooo-Phi, or what ever. Where are youguys from? In in NY. It would be cool to use the above mentioned but I just have not experienced it. In fact Even members of the same org. just say whatup and grip each other- We only use the grip. My Phi Beta Sigma sands and I have a grip- My A Phi A sand and I have a different grip. It is different for everybody- I amsurprised noone mentioned the different grips.
Peace

prettygyrl
05-19-2000, 11:05 PM
I have heard alot of different greeks greet each other as soror or frat regardless of oragnizational affiliaton. It makes sense to me being that when you are greek anyone that is greek should be your soror or frat. women in sororities tend to greet guys in fraternites by frat or just saying this is my frat brother so whats wrong with soroities doing it. they are all working torward the same goals in one way or another. I think it shows greek love and unity when one can consider all the greeks as their frats or sorors. The disinction being that greeks greet members of their own org. with their call.......and members of other greek org. with soror or frat. Well anyway thats how it is at my school. I have never heard the skee-oop or anything like that though. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

tickledpink
05-20-2000, 12:15 AM
I became friends with a Delta in college and she greeted me with skee-oop and I greeted her with ooop-skee. It was done when there weren't too many people around, but greeks greeting each other was not unheard of on our campus.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

SweetiePie12
05-20-2000, 12:38 AM
I know that AKA's and Alpha's greet each other with Skee-Phi or Phi-Skee and AKA's greet Kappa's with Skee-yo and vice versa. How do Deltas and AKA's greet each other when they see each other? or other NPHC sororities and frat's? Just curious.

TonyTone
05-20-2000, 12:39 AM
They say ooo-wee and skeee-op

Asia2G
05-20-2000, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by TonyTone:
They say ooo-wee and skeee-op

ok, that can't be true.

shalom
05-23-2000, 07:58 PM
My bestfriend is an AKA and I am a Delta. We do not call each other SOROR that is ridiculous!!! We are friends, yes......the best of friends at that. I think that was very ignorant of that person to say soror. apparently they do not have a clear understanding of what it means.
As for how do we greet each other...hello, what's up, hi. if one chooses to they can do the skee-oop or ooop-skee, but my best friend and I choose not to. I do not know what her call means and she doesn't know what mine means, so why say it. it could mean anything. So i suggest to just say hi

harlemgirl
05-23-2000, 09:35 PM
i'VE NEVER HEARD THIS EITHER I KNOW SORORITIES THAT CROSS THE SAME YEAR CALL EACHOTHER SANDS BECAUSE THEY CROSSED THE SAME TIME BUT THATS IT

Conskeeted1
05-24-2000, 12:43 AM
The AKA's and Delta's on my campus are pretty close, so it is fairly common to hear a OOP-SKEE on the yard or a SKEE-OOP. We are also friendly with the Zeta's, but we don't greet them with a SkeeZee. Probably because they don't share a history with us like the Delta's.

prettygyrl
05-24-2000, 01:45 AM
Why would it be IGNORANT to call someone from another SORORITY (regardless of affiliation) "SOROR"! Shalom maybe you do not know the meaning. I know many greeks who do it. SOROR meaning SORORITY sister. SKEE-OOP is something unheard of in these parts. I suppose it is different every where.

Finer Woman10-A-91
05-25-2000, 10:47 AM
At my school, Howard U...Mother Pearl to 5 http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif , the only organizations that greet eachother with their call are members of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. However, when I crossed, my aka friend who was in grad school at the time greeted me with a Skee Zee. She pledged in NY and it was a perfectly acceptable thing there. I in turn greeted her back with a "Zee Skee". I also met a girl on the train in NY who was a delta who called me soror. Now, that was new to me.

Honestly, it caught me off guard. She was a absolute sweetheart. She explained to me where she went to a small school down south. All of the greeks greeted each that way. I was n't offended. I know who my Sorors are...and they knew who I am. I will however say, the practice I was taught is all women in greekdom are your Sister-Sorors. On occasion if I feel the need to clarify I may say "this is my Rho Sister-Soror" etc.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!

dstbrat
05-25-2000, 02:30 PM
i save oo-oop for the sorors and some bruhs. everyone else gets a a hello and a hug if we are friends. now people who crossed the same semester, i call sands.

AKAtude
05-25-2000, 03:49 PM
Although I have never addressed another member of a sorority as "Soror", I don't believe it is ignorant. Afterall, it is simply the greek word for "sister". As members of the greek community, we are in a sense sisters and brothers regardless of affiliation in the spirit of greekdom. Unless there is some written rule that it shouldn't be done, then I say be gracious about it. If it offends you, then let the person know that you have never heard of such and explain it took you by surprise. There is no need to ridicule.

Diva_56
05-25-2000, 04:33 PM
This is my understanding of the word "soror"

1. it is only used by members of particular sorority to greet other members of that PARTICULAR sorority. "Soror" is never used as a term for people that are not part of your sorority. I have never heard it used that way. When I hear the word "soror" I know it means a member of a Sorority, Inc., and nothing else.

2. (and this may not be the case) it is only used as a greeting between members of BLACK BGLO'S. Greeks consider the use of "frat" of "soror" disrespectful to the black orgs that originated those sayings in this context.
I hope this has been some clarification. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
In complete darkness we are all the same... It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you

The Diva Truth

shalom says
05-25-2000, 06:15 PM
Diva 56 and dst brat are right

I love my bestfriend to death... she is like a sister to me, But we will never ever ever be sorors. That word is used for that particular organization and its members. I don't know what school some of you go to but that is unheard of. Maybe you don't know the meaning of sisterhood within your sorority. I guess you'd call a non-Greek soror too, huh?
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif(HA!HA!)

prettygyrl
05-26-2000, 12:09 AM
I would say that just cause someone does things differently does not make them wrong or ignorant. Everyone knows that in different parts of the country people are doing things different so if it works for them one way and someone else another way then so be it! I just do not think it is fair to judge someone as ignorant for their different way of greeting one another.

tickledpink
05-27-2000, 01:20 AM
I've never heard of "soror" used in general greekdom either; Ive always understood it to alway be specific to the sisters of a particular sorority. However, I live and learn and personally would not be offended if a greek from another sorority called me soror. As AKATUDE stated, I may be surprised at first and wouldn't greet her back as "soror", but if she got offended or uncomfortable, I'd just let her know why. OF COURSE (?????) if a non-greek said it, offense would be taken, but the whole "soror" topic has been associated with the use of it amongst greeks in greeting greeks.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

SGRHO_98
05-28-2000, 05:26 PM
It's weird because when I see a young lady of another organization I just simply say,"hello fellow greek sister." i hardly see people wearing their paraphanelia in NY so when I do, I make it known that I am a member of SGRho and have pleasant-but brief convo. As far as me greeting one of my sorors...i go all out: I give them an EEE-YYIIPP, a hug and very rarely, the grip.

pinkice9
06-05-2000, 01:26 PM
I have a close friend that is a delta and we say Oop-Skee and Skee-Oop around anybody we have greek love for all organizations. Fraternally and Sisterly we are all sisters. One just came before the other. Of course the first was the perfection but not to offend anyone. It is all in greek love. We all have the same purpose and founded goals and that is to serve the community. I would Skee-Oop or Skee-blue or skee anybody just to show greek love but only my sorority sister will get a SKEEEEEEEEWEEEEEEEEEEEE.

sisterly
pinkice9

SWEETAKA
06-05-2000, 06:23 PM
I would never ever greet a member of another org. as "soror." I hope no one of another org. ever greets me that way. However, I wouldn't refer to anyone as ignorant for doing it. I just don't find it acceptable and would not respond likewise. I greet others as "my greet sister." But, to eaches his /her own.

IotaNet
08-07-2000, 06:00 AM
Regarding calling a member of another BGLO, "Soror", I have seen this issue asked about numerous times in this forum and I thought that I'd clear it up.

As the Executive Director of the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc, I am a member of the NPHC Executive Board. It is routine and commonplace for us to refer to the various sorority board members as "Soror XYZ." (Men are referred to as "Frater XYZ.")

I have called everyone from Mrs. Norma White (Supreme Basielus of Alpha Kappa Alpha), "Soror White" to Mr. Richard Snow (Executive Director of Kappa Alpha Psi), "Frater Snow."

Initially, I thought this odd but when I asked the question (to the NPHC president at the time Miss Daisy Wood), I was told that it is proper protocol to use those terms when referring to members of other organizations.

I hope this clears up any confusion

Dwayne Dixon
Executive Director
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

Alumni Member
Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity

Jaismom
08-08-2000, 08:24 PM
I am not greek,but I do have a good friend who is a member of Sigma Gamma Rho, and is from Ohio. When she moved to the south she said that it was very hard for her to except that all of the sororities did not give love to one another the way she was used to. She said that they did inter-sorority calls all the time,but she dare not do it in NC. So I personally think that it is a geographical thing.

Queencece
08-09-2000, 03:46 PM
This is just my thought and my opinion...but I think that the Greek system should have a way special way to greet each other outside of their respective sorority/fraternity just like they do inside their respective sorority/fraternity. While I am not Greek right now, but maybe someday I think that the love should be spread outwards just like it is spread inwards. Not sayin that it's not spread outwards because I see the love that the Greek system shows each other BGLO and GLO, but I think it should be a way to say hi or whats up from one sorority/fratenity to another whether it be though a call, or whateva that symbolizes just that! But hey, that's just my opinion.
Peace and One!
Queencece

[This message has been edited by Queencece (edited August 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Queencece (edited August 09, 2000).]

MsDetroit1920
08-09-2000, 10:57 PM
I am a Zeta and when I first made it over and my sorors and I were out at the mall shopping for stepshow uniforms and an older lady walked up to us and said hello sorors and gave us hugs(we had on pari). We all looked at each other like what's going on and she said I'm from the old school and we all are sisters and we all stand for the same thing, we just have different colors(She was an AKA). But before then, I never heard anyone other than a Zeta call me soror. I thought it was pretty cool coming an old head and it showed alot of greek unity. Something I think alot of us forget.

DirectorDST99
08-11-2000, 01:02 AM
A little information for the misinformed, the PROPER way to greet each other is not by a call. Delta does not have a call; therefore, I do not need to greet my beloved sisters with a "sound"...no words.

Furthermore, the NPHC officers greet each other "Soror this", "Frater that". That is how I now greet my brothers and sisters who are represented in the NPHC.

"It's up to the older ones to teach the younger ones, and the younger ones should pay attention...it's a dominoe effect."

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

DirectorDST99
08-11-2000, 01:15 AM
Ok I should have read ALL of the posts because I see that Frater Dixon explained it already. Silly me.

Sisterly,

Soror Syes

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

NoLongerGreek
08-14-2000, 01:08 AM
"hi" works on my campus.

hypothermia
08-14-2000, 09:17 AM
On my yard there is not a lot of greek unity, sadly to say. But I look forward to the upcoming year because there are people who want to change the state of our greek affairs. Besides I cross call my devastating girlfriend without a second thought.

MaMaBuddha
08-14-2000, 11:56 AM
on my campus and other campus that i has visited...i have been greeted with Skee-ooop or Zee-Oooop! not on the level were they were 5 miles away from me and need to be heard. it was always in passing.

i think it is great because it does show unity. the younger sorors in my sorority and other sororities do it.

although DST doesn't have an offical call....

OOOOO-OOOOOOOP! it still the most recognized call being associate with Delta. when ever i hear that sound, i get up and look around.

SapphireSensation
08-15-2000, 12:27 AM
Peace & Blessings

1. Much like everyone else, My best friend is a member of Delta Sigma Theta-BKLYNDELTA!!
and we only say Zee-OOOP over e-mail.
I always greet my Sorors,Zeta Phi Beta, Sorority, Inc and my Frat, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc as Hey Soror, Hey Frat.
I only use the call, our official call, when I'm trying to get either one of theirs attention.
And of course, at step-shows, events where appropriate, etc.

2. I have also been greeted by older Sister-Sorors and Brother-Frat as Soror.
We definately have lessons to learn from our seasoned Sisters and Brothers, from all of the Divine Nine.

3. Sister-Soror Diva_56: could you please clarify this statement for me please?

2. (and this may not be the case) it is only used as a greeting between members of
BLACK BGLO'S. My mother considers the use of "frat" of "soror" disrespectful to the black
orgs that originated those sayings in this context. (Zeta and Sigma) I of course don't
feel the same way.

---------------------------------------------
SapphireSensation
RoyalBlueDivaDivine
The Epitome of Finerwomanhood

hypothermia
08-17-2000, 02:19 PM
One of my older brothers despises being referred to as frat. As he explained to me not long after I became greek..."I worked to hard to become a member of this brotherhood, and I want to always be referred to as a brother; not frat."

Crimson Diva
08-20-2000, 07:18 PM
You said it MaMa Buddah. We know it's not official, but I can be in a crowd or across campus and ooo-ooop is the only way I know one of my sorors is there. It gets my attention right away when calling my name would not have. There is a time and place for everything. I would not be at an alumnae scholarship luncheon doing the call.

although DST doesn't have an offical call....

OOOOO-OOOOOOOP! it still the most recognized call being associate with Delta. when ever i hear that sound, i get up and look around.

[/B][/QUOTE]