PDA

View Full Version : Greek Letter Translation

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 07:08 PM

Unregistered-
02-03-2004, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't trust online sources.

I'd go with decadence's suggestion--go do your research, consult someone trained in the language, and while you're at it, if you know a heraldry expert, you may as well contact them too. Many of our Founders enlisted the help of professors when they created our Rituals so don't be afraid to seek outside help.

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
I wouldn't trust online sources.

I'd go with decadence's suggestion--go do your research, consult someone trained in the language, and while you're at it, if you know a heraldry expert, you may as well contact them too. Many of our Founders enlisted the help of professors when they created our Rituals so don't be afraid to seek outside help.

Unregistered-
02-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Our Sisterhood motto may possibly be "Never Be Ordinary". Never Be Ordinary in Greek is Nu Beta Omicron. Are there letters for Nu Beta Omicron? Or is it just NBO?

Have you read the Rush at UCSC thread AT ALL?

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Have you read the Rush at UCSC thread AT ALL?

No.

Unregistered-
02-03-2004, 07:38 PM
No.

My suggestion is to go read it. It was a detailed account of the hard work that goes into starting a group on campus.

ETA: Since we all like searching and links because they make our lives easier, here's that thread:

Pay close attention to the letters chosen! (http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?threadid=10264&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

A lot of research was involved, because we all know that no one likes letter/motto/ideals stealers. :)

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by decadence
Hmmm Cristina. Let's say (on GC) someone made an error of judgement and shortly after realised it and wanted to correct things or made a legitimate and fair decision to do something but it was - for one reason or another - not the right decision because of circumstances/persons etc where he or she specifically made it (that they didn't know at the time).

That person on GC would act to correct it by deleting his or her posts by clicking edit post (while logged in) and selecting the delete post checkbox at the top of the edit post screen and clicking confirm... straightaway. In the event that person's original post had been quoted by someone else then that person could PM them and ask them very nicely and courteously explaining they didn't know of some circumstances and wish to put things right, thank them for bringing suchandsuch to their attention and ask them VERY nicely to please delete their post now they've realised the difficulties their original decision might cause.

I'm really not trying to step onto anyone's toes here on this site. I really, honestly am not ripping off an already exisiting sorority and calling it "my own" or trying to pass The Sisterhood of Mount Ida off as an already existening, nationally affiliated sorority. Honestly, I mean it.

We are an orginization that at one day in time hope to have our campus recognize us as a "sorority" but for the mean time we can't really have any ties to Greek Life. As a group who created The Sisterhood with an intention of having it be a sorority, there are things we want to that we simply can't. We'd love to be able to use Greek Letters, but we are afriad that we'll get turned down.

I simply asked for where I could get a Greek translation for a motto. "Nu Beta Omicron" is NOT the name of our group, and I honestly think the college wouldn't allow us to use Greek characters with our name.

I have tried to delete this post (and I'm not granted access to), and I hope this message will just clarify everything that I have already said. I'm not trying to step onto anyone's toes or start drama with other Sisters.

HotDamnImAPhiMu
02-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Guys, take it easy. I don't think she posted trying to hack anybody off, and the thread you referred to her is a mammoth 81 page missive about some girl she's probably not terribly interested about.

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
Guys, take it easy. I don't think she posted trying to hack anybody off, and the thread you referred to her is a mammoth 81 page missive about some girl she's probably not terribly interested about.

THANK YOU.

So back to the original question, are there sites where I can translate words, etc into Greek characters?

Unregistered-
02-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu

That "some girl" in that mammoth 81 pager was the one who brought us Nu Beta Omicron=Never Be Ordinary the first time around.

Kinda raises eyebrows especially after last summer's Sigma Kappa incident.

AOII_LB93
02-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Do none of you remember SKEPi? Come on...and NBO is directly taken from the UCSC post, as well as the meaning! Do a search and read cristina's last posts....I can't honestly believe no one remembers the mass posting all over from her before.
:rolleyes:

HotDamnImAPhiMu
02-03-2004, 08:31 PM
I checked out the threads, and keep coming to the same conclusions, which are --

(1) she doesn't know much about GLOs, which makes sense since there aren't any sororities on her campus,
(2) she's made some "mistakes", i.e. said non-panhellenically correct things on this board, and
(3) she's therefore been flamed to hell and back for trying to, as far as I can tell, get some actual help.

wishinhopin
02-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Oh man this is some funny shit. I remember the legacy of Cristinasmiles, I was actually wondering how good old SKEPI was doing. And just in case you were confused, she was NOT considering Nu Beta Omicron, NBO, or "Never Be Ordinary" because at Mt Ida they DO NOT allow greek letter orgs. Nor was she ever interested in actually becoming a chapter of Sigma Kappa because she just wanted to use their history, letters, and symbolism. So sweetie, there's a couple options here, and I'm going to have the balls to say what a bunch of us are trying to ignore thinking, because I ain't got shit to do today and this should be fun.

1. The chances of you coming up with NBO on your own, particularly after you have already PMed me and been told numerous times to look at my thread, is slim.

2. I will thus assume that you are so in awe of what my sisters and I have done, and you want to be cool just like us.

3. In retrospect, NBO didn't end up being an awesome name for a sorority. The personal meaning behind it is truly amazing to me, but in terms of a sorority name...lots of bad things can go wrong here. One, it's just regular letters (but lordy please don't interpret that to mean that you can be NBO Never Be Ordinary Sisterhood of Mt Ida SKEPi because if so darlin you'll have law suits up the wazoo)

4. ie No Body Odor, NB Ho, and why the hell do those girls have shirts that say NBO (pronounced NuhBo)

5. Either you're clueless, a spammer, or perhaps have some sort of psychological disorder. Before anyone says anything in response, please make sure to review the illustrious list of posts that this lady has made.

6. While I'm certainly not taking offense to your post HotDamnImaPhiMu, i would like to graciously point out that the "mammoth 81 page missive about some girl she's probably not terribly interested about" is hands down (not to toot my own horn) the BEST resource this girl could have if she was serious about this pursuit. Well probably the most helpful thread on this website anyway.

7. Cristina, your craziness just made my day. Thanks for the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery thread, this is going to be lots of fun.

Cheers yall!
Corina
"Never be Ordinary"
I crack myself up folks, I truly do

kddani
02-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wishinhopin

You crack me up, too :)

PsychTau
02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
Do none of you remember SKEPi? Come on...and NBO is directly taken from the UCSC post, as well as the meaning! Do a search and read cristina's last posts....I can't honestly believe no one remembers the mass posting all over from her before.
:rolleyes:

I remember.

PsychTau

James
02-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I think Cristinasmile'ss question has been pretty well answered.

To sum up, either use the net links provided, get some help from a member of your school, or visit the library or a book store and look it up.

Or Pm greeklawgirl, she is a moderator that speaks fluent Greek and prides herself on being both understanding and helpful. I am sure she would adore hearing from you and having the chance to spend a lot of time helping you out :D.

We all love greeklawgirl :)

33girl
02-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Cristina, if you are really serious about creating a sisterhood, I suggest you have one of the other sisters think up a name for the sorority. You're batting 0 for 2.

and rock on Corina. I miss your posts!

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
Cristina, if you are really serious about creating a sisterhood, I suggest you have one of the other sisters think up a name for the sorority. You're batting 0 for 2.

and rock on Corina. I miss your posts!

We already have a name it's called The Sisterhood of Mount Ida.

wishuponastar
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM

4. ie No Body Odor, NB Ho, and why the hell do those girls have shirts that say NBO (pronounced NuhBo)

Cheers yall!
Corina
"Never be Ordinary"

Corina, I'm not sure I've ever been so glad you're my sister!!!! :D :p
Love you!!

ChristinaSmile: Some originality and creativity, please! :)

HotDamnImAPhiMu
02-03-2004, 08:57 PM
6. While I'm certainly not taking offense to your post HotDamnImaPhiMu, i would like to graciously point out that the "mammoth 81 page missive about some girl she's probably not terribly interested about" is hands down (not to toot my own horn) the BEST resource this girl could have if she was serious about this pursuit. Well probably the most helpful thread on this website anyway.

I'd just like to say that this is one of the most tactful disagreements I've ever seen on GC. Way to be a lady and a great representative for your sorority, wishinhopin... a girl can't hardly be offended when something is put so nicely. :)

33girl
02-03-2004, 08:59 PM
We already have a name it's called The Sisterhood of Mount Ida.

then your Greek letters (if the college ever lets you use them) can be Sigma Mu Iota.

You can have a secret meaning of Serve, Maintain, Initiate.

Wasn't that easy?

Thank you, drive through.

cristinasmile
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM
then your Greek letters can be Sigma Mu Iota.

Wasn't that easy?

Thank you, drive through.

I dont get it.

James
02-03-2004, 09:01 PM
But didn't you in the end fail to accomplish your original intention of putting an NPC sorority on your campus?

wishuponastar
02-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by James
But didn't you in the end fail to accomplish your original intention of putting an NPC sorority on your campus?

Did YOU read the entire thread James? Go back and read it again please. :) There is much that you have missed! Corina has accomplished more than you will ever know!

James
02-03-2004, 09:05 PM
I like her too :) , but she is mocking someone in the forum I moderate for no apparent reason.

Originally posted by wishuponastar
Did YOU read the entire thread James? Go back and read it again please. :) There is much that you have missed! Corina has accomplished more than you will ever know!

Unregistered-
02-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by wishuponastar

Don't mind him girl...he just likes playing devil's bitch. We here at GC (most of us, anyway) are used to it, but we still have to hide our buttplugs.

wishinhopin
02-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Yup James I did. But ya know what? It isn't because of what I did that this post is so valuable. I mean yeah I did something cool and I'm proud of it, and I could go on and on about that but it isn't really relevant. Point being, that thread will answer just about every single question a girl might have about trying to start her own sorority, trying to affiliate with a national or NPC org, trying to handle a campus that isn't Greek friendly, learning how to operate any sort of organization from the ground up. Maybe I'm sensitive because that thread, and my sorority, are both obviously very important to me. For someone to disregard it in such a manner hurt my feelings. Bottom line.

kddani
Don't mind him girl...he just likes playing devil's bitch. We here at GC (most of us, anyway) are used to it, but we still have to hide our buttplugs.

Hey, save that buttplugs talk for the butt sex thread ;) and for our latest troublemaker who has a fixation with that sort of thing

wishuponastar
I like her too :) , but she is mocking someone in the forum I moderate for no apparent reason.

Do you REALLY think that its for no reason. I mean, if I were naming a sorority, NBO would not neccessarily be the first letters that come to mind. Just a thought. Not to mention that she has previously tried to take on other sororities names, symbols, and HISTORIES!! Her sorority has a severe identity crisis!

James
02-03-2004, 09:08 PM
That is so not true lol! I have noticed that when people agree with me I am writing good sense, and when they don't but don't want to argue I am being a devil's advocate :)

Cristina seems harmless, maybe just a little inexperienced:)

wishinhopin
02-03-2004, 09:09 PM
PS James I like you too, if only because you validated what I said in the butt sex forum. Funny how that thing has become a new legend in its brief time as a greekchat thread. Back on topic, sorry for the interruption.

Edited to add: by the by, I've read every single post this girl has written (the flu will give you time to do such a thing) and this is not exactly just a random ingenue trying to bring Greek life to her campus. Aah how do I explain....to quote some other famous GC history....ho be actin like predator. Nuff said.

33girl
02-03-2004, 09:12 PM
....to quote some other famous GC history....ho be actin like predator.

There's just never a bad time for that quote, is there?

wishuponastar
02-03-2004, 09:15 PM
I would just like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. Without y'all I would not be sitting here laughing so hard that I am crying right now!! :D

HotDamnImAPhiMu
02-03-2004, 09:30 PM
There's just never a bad time for that quote, is there?

No. No, there certainly is not.

astroAPhi
02-03-2004, 11:30 PM
That is so not true lol! I have noticed that when people agree with me I am writing good sense, and when they don't but don't want to argue I am being a devil's advocate :)

And he's modest too ladies!

AGDAlum
03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
"Never be ordinary" translates to
na men pote sounthismenos -- Nu Mu Pi Sigma.

"Sisterhood of Mt. Ida" would be something like "adelphai Mt. Ida."

Rudey
03-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by kddani
Hey, save that buttplugs talk for the butt sex thread ;) and for our latest troublemaker who has a fixation with that sort of thing

You truly are the pride of Kappa Delta.

-Rudey