PDA

View Full Version : alumni involvement..... please help!

AlethiaSi
01-23-2004, 05:26 PM
i was wondering how much involvement alumni usually have (this goes for locals and nationals) with the current chapter and how they are often received by the actives?

our alumni have really helped us out a lot- but sometimes- they get involved too much... and relations are kinda strained now.... any advice? thanks!

Tom Earp
01-23-2004, 05:45 PM
A lot depends on how many Alums are around? How Old the Chapter is?

Can Alums Be a Pain In The Butt, of Course!

But, wait till after you ignor them enough! When the Shit Hits the Fan and You Need Them, How many will want to help!:(

Wait untill your Alums who live in Your Local Area do NOTHING and I Mean Nothing!

If your back gets to the wall and you need help, Who do you call, damn sure aint the Friggen Ghost Busters, but the Alums!

Just sit down with them and Say Hey All, We want to Run the chapter like you did, with the Active members. If we need problems we will call you! Wrong! Keep them involved, ask them for advice when a situation comes up!

Day to day is your Active Chapters runing the Chapter. Unless there is a problem, your Advisor is the first one to talk with. If become worse, then the Alum Pres.

Or, Here is the Situation, what do you think and can we ask for your advice and guidense.

Humble Pie is hard to chew, but a Chapter Closing is a heck of a lot worse!:(

polarpi
01-23-2004, 06:41 PM
I know that when I was in college, it seemed like the alumnae we were in contact with the most were ADPi alumnae from other chapters (i.e. our advisors). Right now, my chapter has set up a yahoo group for our particular chapter for alumnae and collegians to keep in contact with one another, and we're designing a mentoring program for alumna members to pair up with a collegian who's holding an office that we held while there in college, to open up communication in that way and provide as much support as possible without stepping on the toes of the collegiate members.

It seems like the collegiate members of my chapter are very receptive to the help of the alumnae members, but I wouldn't want to go in there gang-busting and saying this is the way it has to be....there is definitely a fine line to be walked by the alumnae members who need to realize that the chapter is in the very capable hands of the members still in college, who still believe in the ideals and history that we held so reverently while we were the collegiate members.

AlethiaSi
01-23-2004, 07:45 PM
we have been around for 75 years- as a local so our alumni are our support system and when they were dying off 2 years ago- they were there helping them keep the house- and we've grown. and the board members are now practically all alumni instead of community members who wanted to sell the house. however, some alumni have gotten TOO involved... and have made this their lives.... when they were only in for one semester. we all got along at first- but now she is imposing herself and making herself into a martyr (well i did this and this and gave up my life for you so you should be thankful... but we never asked her to...) don't get me wrong- she has definately helped- but that "fine line" has completely been crossed... she has been making comments about myself and other sisters- chastizing us- and getting involved with matters between sisters- where she needed to definately stay out of. now all of us are fed up- but we don't want to seem ungrateful..... its a sticky situation and emotionally charged... i'm not going to be here this semester (i'm studying abroad in london :)) but i know she isn't just going to go away.... i mean.. is this normal? are we over reacting? other alumni are helping out too but staying out of our daily lives- and they are awesome- we love our alumni... but many of them are just getting out of control.... ugh this is so frustrating...:mad: