PDA

View Full Version : Parent Events Question

JenniferLynn
11-24-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm curious about something. :) First off, I should mention I'm NOT a sister, but I will be rushing DPhiE in September 2005. I was wondering, when it comes to Mother-Daughter, or father-daughter events, what is it someone does if their parents are too far away(such as from Newfoundland to Vancouver, 5046km), or not living? Do they go, and just have a good time with everyone else, or do they opt to not go?

Thanks!

Denise_DPhiE
11-25-2003, 10:54 PM
I would say that the sisters would all go and meet the parents of the sister even if no one from their family attended. Or, a stand-in family member would attend, such as an aunt or friend of the family. Those events are more than social - they are PR too. It is always good for the families to see the good our women do outside of the stereotypes our media portray of us. I have very fond memories (my eyes are welling up) of my grandmother, who was in a wheelchair at the time, coming to our parents brunch. She got to meet all my sisters who she had heard so much about and see what a sorority was all about as she did not go to college.

Not all chapters have these wonderful events but many do.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Denise_DPhiE

bcdphie
11-26-2003, 01:24 PM
JenniferLynn,

I sent you a PM.

JenniferLynn
11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Denise- Thank you for your answer! And yes, I do plan ahead, maybe even excessively so. :) I've just always been very interested in greek life, and what an amazing experience sororities must be, not only as an undergrad, but as alum as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing like that in my province, so my only resource for learning more about it is the internet, but couldn't find anything relating to that specifically. Your answer makes perfect sense, and I fiigured that's what it would be. Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, although us Canadians celebrated last month. ;)

bcdphie- I recieved it and replied! Thanks again, both of your replies were very appreciated!