PDA

View Full Version : Folks need to stop drinking HATER-ADE ('Bama)

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 03:30 AM
Posted in the Crimson White

Officials question charges
By Nick Beadle
Student Life Editor

September 25, 2003

Gamma Phi Beta sorority's international headquarters could release a statement today addressing allegations its UA chapter rigged the acceptance of a black woman last month, integrating the Capstone's traditionally white Panhellenic Association sororities.

Rebecca Beardslee, director of communications for Gamma Phi Beta's international headquarters, said Wednesday morning that the sorority would release a statement on the allegations in the next few days. The Crimson White had not received a statement from the international headquarters at press time.

Former Gamma Phi Beta social chairwoman Stephanie McGee, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said in Wednesday's CW that sorority leaders had ulterior motives when they accepted black Tuscaloosa freshman Carla Ferguson.

"I think a slot in the Machine was promised," McGee said. "It supposedly would also get us more parties and swaps and that kind of thing."

The Machine is a select coalition of traditionally white fraternities and sororities designed to influence campus politics.

McGee also said the sorority did not follow normal bid procedure, with only the executives, not the whole sorority, voting on whether to accept Ferguson.

Gamma Phi Beta's UA chapter president and adviser deferred comment to the international organization. Efforts to reach McGee for further comment Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Repeated attempts to reach Panhellenic President Heather Schacht for comment Wednesday were also unsuccessful. UA President Robert Witt was out of town Wednesday and unavailable for comment.

Dean of Students Tom Strong said Gamma Phi Beta's international chapter had contacted his office. He said international representatives told Assistant Dean of Students Todd Borst they planned to release a statement to The CW because of what they called erroneous information in Wednesday's story.

Interim UA Vice President for Student Affairs Kathleen Cramer said she was disappointed McGee's allegations were printed.

She said she believed Gamma Phi Beta sincerely wanted Ferguson and is proud to have her as a member, but she said she did not believe the sorority went to any illegal lengths to get Ferguson.

"I don't think that's possible for most chapters for a select group to select the pledges, so I really must question the credibility of the student's allegations," Cramer said.

Strong said he understood Gamma Phi Beta abided by recruitment regulations of the National Panhellenic Conference and its international organization. He also said an international chapter representative was present during Rush.

Strong said he was assured Gamma Phi Beta accepted Ferguson legally.

"I'm not sure where [McGee] got her information from," he said. "It was my understanding everything was done exactly how it was supposed to be done."

Strong said he believes the sisterhood of Gamma Phi Beta's fall pledge class, which he said had been strong, has been tested by the situation. However, he said he believes the pledge class will rally around each other.

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Gotta say a lot of people are handling things with class. But some folx need to get a grip! :mad:

Also in the Crimson White

Former members cannot speak for whole sorority
September 25, 2003

Any misinformation that may have been conveyed in a story in Wednesday's edition of The Crimson White is regrettable. After checking with the leadership of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, we would like to offer some additional information and background.

Any former members of Gamma Phi Beta who want to express their opinion are entitled to do so, but they do not speak for the sorority. They are simply giving their personal view, and information they share may not be accurate with regard to the sorority as a whole. What is important is that the sorority chose Carla Ferguson because of her character and other personal qualities. The sorority has embraced each member of the pledge class, and they are having a wonderful experience. To convey otherwise is a disservice to this outstanding group.

Gamma Phi Beta is one of the country's 10 oldest sororities and a founding member of the National Panhellenic Conference. It is committed to seeking cultural, demographic and economic diversity.

Moxie
09-25-2003, 03:37 AM
that POOR girl. she just wanted to join a sisterhood, not become a public icon and now the subject of controversy. is it THAT big of a deal to have an african-american in a NPC sorority?! and why, if these allegations are true, would someone really feel the need to make them public? it sounds like someone is just bitter.

breathesgelatin
09-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Some people are guzzling the hater-ade !!!!!:eek: :mad:

so, so, so, so glad my school doesn't have these issues.
oh, and I'm sure Gamma Phi is really glad the member quoted has left. Their chapter and their national organization is so much better than that.

KillarneyRose
09-25-2003, 10:00 AM
I feel terrible for Miss Ferguson. The new member period is supposed to be a fun time for her and now she has to hear how she is supposedly only a "token" member of the sorority.

There's always someone around who wants to turn a good situation into something bad :(

Firehouse
09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Was/is McGee an undergraduate member? What in the world would possess her to betray her sorority and embarrass them and herself with such a public display? There was an widely publicized incident at Georgia a few years ago where an individual made a very public accusation, and it turned out she just wanted out of her housing contract. She was willing to pull the whole house down to get what she wanted.
Unbelievable! The chapter should shut her out entirely; ban her from all activities and associations from now on. Don't know why this makes me so angry but it really strikes a nerve.

ZTAngel
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
I have to think that McGee had some rifts with other members in GPhiB and decided that this was a way to seek revenge. I just couldn't see a chapter going to lengths like this to get someone. Things can easily slip out and I don't think a chapter would risk that.

I really really really hope the information McGee provided are false.

texas*princess
09-25-2003, 10:43 AM
I feel so terrible for Miss Ferguson :( I sincerely hope the allegations are false.

Kevin
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Even if it was true, what gives any member the right to go to the press because they don't agree with a member's decision? Go to HQ, go to an advisor, but the press?

I don't think this accuser has a leg to stand on and she knows it. It's sad that this much drama occured just because they accepted a woman of color.

33girl
09-25-2003, 11:24 AM
I still think it is ghastly that the young woman's name was even released to the public when she got her bid. If Panhellenic really wanted to support her, they would have respected her privacy.

White_Chocolate
09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
did anyone look at the chapter's website to see if the black woman was still a member? after that kind of publicity, most people would break and run.

she probably was voted in the right way
some people probably just wanted to be ugly

33girl
09-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Good suggestion. :) I checked their site and the only members' names they list are the officers. They don't have a listing of their pledge class.

texas*princess
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
I still think it is ghastly that the young woman's name was even released to the public when she got her bid. If Panhellenic really wanted to support her, they would have respected her privacy.

I definately agree!

PsychTau
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Good lord, no WONDER African Americans don't want to "integrate" the NPC sororities!!!! At campuses like this, it isn't worth it.

Who cares WHAT voting procedures Gamma Phi Beta used.....certainly not me, because 1. I'm not a Gamma Phi; and 2. It doesn't affect me HOW they select their new members; and 3. It's THEIR BUSINESS!!!!

(And I still don't understand how the whole thing could be "rigged"....did they coordinate who was going to invite her back to parties? How did they predict her choices anyway? Crazy, paranoid, bored people.:rolleyes: )

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Apparently the girl who made these accusations is an undergrad but an ex-member. Makes me wonder why she is an ex-member.

I think they wanted to respect her privacy but honey, folx were all over this story and you KNOW when someone wants info they are gonna get it anyway they can.

I hope she joins GC so I can tell her to BE STRONG DON'T LET THE A$$HOLES GET YOU DOWN!

sugar and spice
09-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by PsychTau

(And I still don't understand how the whole thing could be "rigged"....did they coordinate who was going to invite her back to parties? How did they predict her choices anyway? Crazy, paranoid, bored people.:rolleyes: )

My guess is that all the other sororities cut her. It wouldn't really be that surprising at Bama.

Basically the accusation being made is that "the Machine" promised to let Gamma Phi join if they accepted a black woman. The Machine is getting sick of everyone telling them how racist they are, so they decided to de-segregate the sorority system this year. However, none of the "top" chapters wanted to risk their reputations by bidding an African-American, so they wanted one of the not so prestigious sororities to do instead. They promised Gamma Phi entrance into the Machine as a bribe, which would theoretically raise their social standing on campus.

Now who knows how much of that is true. But the thing I think is hilarious is that if parts of it are true, and the Machine sororities are so worried about how their reps will suffer as a result of taking a black new member that they make a less prestigious chapter do it -- they're so worried about their reputation on the Bama campus that they are making themselves look like idiots to the rest of the world. Outside of the Bama Greek system, Gamma Phi comes off as the most enlightened and classy sorority of the bunch whereas the other groups come off like racist snots.

White_Chocolate
09-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by sugar and spice
whereas the other groups come off like racist snots.

this would be almost all of the school in the dead and beaten "confederacy"

sugar and spice
09-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by White_Chocolate
this would be almost all of the school in the dead and beaten "confederacy"

Hahaha, uh oh.

Between you and me I think we're probably going to get this thread locked.

33girl
09-25-2003, 03:13 PM
I would like to know when the accuser became an ex-member...before, during or after all this happened.

GammaPhiBabe
09-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Carla is still a member of the pledge class. She and her pledge sisters will be initiated on October 16. We are very proud of her and we are thrilled to have her as a member. None...and allow me to repeat this... NONE of Ms. McGee's allegations are correct. She didn't even know how many people are on the executive board (here's a hint: it's not 10). The UA administration and Gamma Phi Beta Internationals are behind the chapter 100%. They are a wonderful group of young women and they should be applauded for their ability to rise above this poor excuse of a story.

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Please cut the South bashing! EVERY part of the country has some azz-backward folks, not just the South. And the South is MY home!

Apparently she was NOT cut heavily from previous stories in the Crimson white

interesting comments below the story...thank goodness quite a few are positive

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/09/24/3f711d9f4d3b8

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Wow. I just saw this thread, and I am going to try my best to behave.

There is no way the chapter at Alabama would have used illegal voting procedures. Gamma Phi Beta is very strict on voting - my chapter is heavily "baby-sat" during membership selection and we don't even have formal recruitment. Alabama is one of our "name" chapters so I am sure they are supervised and follow everything to the letter even more than my chapter does.

I'm thrilled to hear from GammaPhiBabe that Carla is still a new member and will be initiated soon - and I'm proud of my sisters at Alabama for looking past race, which hasn't been a criteria for membership in a long long time.

I'm not going to even bother to say anymore because I'm sure this thread will get locked because I somehow came off as "disrespectful" to the South. :rolleyes:

sugar and spice
09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
I don't agree with the South bashing (subtly poking fun is more my style ;) ) but you have to admit that there is a reason that this is going on in the South and not in New York, Wisconsin, Washington, wherever. It frustrates me that we're not allowed to discuss that aspect on GC because there are so many Southerners here who get offended even when the "bashing" doesn't take place.

The more we say "Oh, that's just the way it is in the South" the more we tacitly give our approval to it. We all know that there's something very wrong here, so why pretend like there isn't?

texas*princess
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
I think earlier in the Fall (or maybe it was in the summer?) there was an article in the Crimson White about sorority rush & integration @ Bama, (the link to the article was posted on GC) & I remember in the comments someone wrote something like "The Machine has decided to integrate sororities and so that will happen this year" (or something to that effect) It definately makes this whole situation more interesting ... :confused:

wow, that was just the longest run-on sentence ever! :p

eta: I also agree w/ sugar&spice. No one is bashing anyone, but she does have a point when she said something is going on because that happens in the "South" and not in other places. I don't get it? :confused:

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
True dat! We had a great thread in the rush forum about her bid day that was locked because folx got panties in a wad...

I don't want that to happen again.

Yes this is coming from a Southerner (who did NOT get her panties in a bunch)

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I'm not going to even bother to say anymore because I'm sure this thread will get locked because I somehow came off as "disrespectful" to the South. :rolleyes:

Optimist Prime
09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
racism is much worse in the south than anywhere else

DGMarie
09-25-2003, 03:41 PM
I'll post the article bec it is interesting. Did she not attend all rounds as is purported?

Sorority integration questioned
Former member alleges ulterior motives behind Gamma Phi Beta integration
By Megan Nichols
Senior Staff Reporter
September 24, 2003

Some say freshman Carla Ferguson broke barriers at the University when she accepted a bid to traditionally white sorority Gamma Phi Beta this summer. But a former sorority member said this week that members rigged the integration from the beginning to ensure the sorority a spot in the Machine.

Stephanie McGee said Gamma Phi Beta members had ulterior motives behind letting Ferguson into the sorority.

"I think a slot in the Machine was promised," McGee said. "They also just wanted to make the sorority look good, they wanted to make a good impression, they thought that they might start a new trend. It supposedly would also get us more parties and swaps and that kind of thing."

The Machine is a select coalition of traditionally white fraternities and sororities designed to influence campus politics.

After seeing what went on surrounding the admittance of Ferguson to her sorority, McGee said she decided to drop out of Gamma Phi Beta.

Contrary to normal procedure, McGee said, not all sorority members were allowed to vote on whether to accept Ferguson. Only the 10 members of the executive board participated in the voting process.

"That's the whole reason I quit," McGee said. "It doesn't bother me one bit that she's black. I mean, I'm not prejudiced or anything; it's just the whole manner in which the voting took place. The executive board made the decision, and she was going to be allowed in whether we wanted her or not."

McGee said several more sorority members, including an executive board member, left because of the situation.

Kara Thompson, who was the sorority's public relations executive, also left Gamma Phi Beta, but she declined to comment on her reasons.

McGee said another abnormality concerning the bid extended to Ferguson is that Ferguson did not attend all Rush events.

"She wasn't even there on Serious Night," she said. "Usually when a girl doesn't attend a party, you get dropped from the list, so I don't know how she even got a bid from our sorority. That's why I think it was just rigged by the people who wanted her there."

McGee said the sorority is seeing some negative effects from the unorthodox manner in which Ferguson was offered a bid.

"We even have alumni who knew about it and have decided not to support Gamma Phi Beta any more, and they're going to give their money to Georgia's chapter instead," she said.

Membership numbers have been down for Gamma Phi Beta for the past few years, McGee said.

The president and adviser of the sorority's UA chapter, citing international chapter rules regarding media, referred all questions to the chapter's international representatives.

Efforts to reach representatives of Gamma Phi Beta's international chapter for comment this week were unsuccessful.

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2003, 03:48 PM
If you look at the comments on the article, some of which are just charming, you will see that she missed rounds with an excuse. Alabama uses SORush or whatever that's called where you get to pick and choose who you go back to. Maybe she regretted with interest and then came back, or maybe she had a previous obligation to attend to. Regardless of what her situation was, she is a Gamma Phi Beta, and I think the Panhellenic community needs to respect that. As for Ms. McGee, I'm glad that attitude is no longer a part of our Epsilon Lambda chapter.

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Personally I think the girl is a bitter attention ho, who needs to stop drinking the Hater-ade! :rolleyes:

As far as Ms. McGee no longer being there I say "good riddance". That type of tude brings orgs down. And if alumni don't want to donate then that is THEIR loss (not the chapter's loss)!

adduncan
09-25-2003, 03:57 PM
I don't agree with the South bashing (subtly poking fun is more my style ;) ) but you have to admit that there is a reason that this is going on in the South and not in ... Wisconsin,

Another Agree to Disagree post......

Wisconsin is not pure as the driven snow when it comes to race issues.

Even your collegiate home town of Madison is 90-odd percent white with only a small percentage of minority folks, all of whom live in one itty bitty little segment of town. It's every bit as segregated as "The South" that you "subtly poke fun at".

But since Wisconsin doesn't have the same 19th century history that Alabama does, the press doesn't jump on it.

IMHO, it's a bad idea to assume racial divisions aren't "going on" in areas other than the deep south. Some areas are just better at hiding it.

Adrienne
(who visits Madison often with Mr. Adrienne, who got his masters in Ed Psych/Statistics at UW-Madison and saw the above scenario first-hand)

;)

Kristin AGD
09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
The words "I think" are repeated way too much in that article for it to be a credible piece of journalism. This is very unfortunate for the girl involved and Bama Gamma Phi's. This story should never have made it past the CW editor.

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Adriene, I have to disagree with you. While Wisconsin definitely does have segration issues (like the rest of the nation) it is nowhere near as Alabama. I've visited family in Alabama and Georgia and the things I hear and see down there shock me. I grew up in a very snotty suburb of Milwaukee and race was never ever an issue out there - there weren't very many minorities, but that was largely because they couldn't afford to live there - houses that go for 90K in Milwaukee go for 500K in my town. Any minorities that did move to town were welcomed and embraced. Now I live and attend college in a shadier area of Milwaukee with a bunch of rich Chicago kids, and race still isn't an issue like I've observed it being down south.

adduncan
09-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Adriene, I have to disagree with you. While Wisconsin definitely does have segration issues (like the rest of the nation) it is nowhere near as Alabama. I've visited family in Alabama and Georgia and the things I hear and see down there shock me. I grew up in a very snotty suburb of Milwaukee and race was never ever an issue out there - there weren't very many minorities, but that was largely because they couldn't afford to live there - houses that go for 90K in Milwaukee go for 500K in my town. Any minorities that did move to town were welcomed and embraced. Now I live and attend college in a shadier area of Milwaukee with a bunch of rich Chicago kids, and race still isn't an issue like I've observed it being down south.

Actually, this really doesn't disagree w/ my point.

I didn't say there weren't differences. I just said that some areas **hide** their racial issues better than others. eg, Wisconsin does a better job of hiding it than Alabama does.

Like I said, it's going to end up an "agree to disagree" thing. I know what I saw up there, as did Mr. A.

sugar and spice
09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by adduncan
Another Agree to Disagree post......

Wisconsin is not pure as the driven snow when it comes to race issues.

Even your collegiate home town of Madison is 90-odd percent white with only a small percentage of minority folks, all of whom live in one itty bitty little segment of town. It's every bit as segregated as "The South" that you "subtly poke fun at".

But since Wisconsin doesn't have the same 19th century history that Alabama does, the press doesn't jump on it.

IMHO, it's a bad idea to assume racial divisions aren't "going on" in areas other than the deep south. Some areas are just better at hiding it.

Adrienne
(who visits Madison often with Mr. Adrienne, who got his masters in Ed Psych/Statistics at UW-Madison and saw the above scenario first-hand)

;)

No arguments with the first part of the post -- I'll agree that Madison has its fair share of racial issues. Segregation in terms of neighborhoods is quite prevalent with the Allied Drive section as the "ghetto." (Edited to add: there are other pockets of minorities here and there -- after all, I went to a school that was only 60% white, and Allied Drive wasn't in our district! -- and certainly quite a few that live in the primarily white neighborhoods, but Allied Drive is the most well-known spot, because of its "ghetto" reputation. Neighborhoods are generally quite segregated, though.) Segregation in terms of other things is less prevalent however -- you regularly see minority professionals, most schools are well-integrated with minimal racial conflicts. The UW has racial issues of its own (VERY segregated due to things that are too long to be discussed here, but have part of their roots in the UW's affirmative action policies). The segregation here is more due to economic factors than social ones.

But nothing that would even come close to being on this scale. They're not comparable. Our Greek system became de-segregated almost 40 years ago, and although the NPC/IFC system is still primarily white, minority members are welcome in every group (even sought after). The university does have an interesting situation when it comes to race, which does carry over partly into the Greek system (although I think the Greek system is actually more integrated than the rest of the student body), but I can say without a doubt that you would never, ever witness the kind of open hostility displayed here.

I think you will find that that same situation is true for most of the schools outside of the South (and, I'm sure, many in it). Bama-type situations seem to be relatively rare, thankfully.

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by adduncan
Actually, this really doesn't disagree w/ my point.

I didn't say there weren't differences. I just said that some areas **hide** their racial issues better than others. eg, Wisconsin does a better job of hiding it than Alabama does.

Like I said, it's going to end up an "agree to disagree" thing. I know what I saw up there, as did Mr. A.

I think I just misread you then. I do think that a) we hide it better and b) we realize some things are still very very wrong. When I was down south I was honestly surprised at how bad it still was, but that's my bleeding heart coming out.

Jill1228
09-25-2003, 04:15 PM
And I see in the editorials, "Miss Thang" got called out! :eek:

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/09/25/3f726c6721547

This is an example of very poor journalism. I am an alumna of Gamma Phi Beta sorority and have worked very closely with the chapter at the University of Alabama for the past several years. I was present at rush this year and I can tell you that not ONE item of factual information was present in Ms. Nichols' article. If Stephanie McGee did not even know how many members were on her sorority's executive board, how would she know anything else about the way the chapter works?
Our chapter had numerous alumnae and international officers present at the house during rush, as well as during the week before rush began. An international officer was in charge of the entire voting process. There is no possible way that voting procedures were not run 100% by the book. Every chapter member has a voice and a vote during rush.
One problem with using Stephanie McGee as a source is that she failed to mention that she was not present during voting on Serious Night, nor was she present for most of rush workshop, including the workshop on voting. Perhaps she did not understand the way our voting was supposed to work. Stephanie has been having financial problems for quite some time...that, coupled with the fines she accumulated for missing rush, were too much for her. That is one of the reasons she left the house. When she left, it was not on bad terms. She certainly did not mention any of this "controversy" to any of the chapter's advisors or executive board members (all 10 of them... ha ha), or perhaps her misconceptions could have been cleared up weeks ago.
Furthermore, Ms. Nichols and Stephanie McGee are both incorrect about NPC Rush rules and procedures. If a woman is invited back to a house for Serious Night, she is automatically guaranteed a place on the bid list. This is not only a Gamma Phi Beta policy, but a National Panhellenic Conference policy. Even if someone does not come to a preference party, she is still going to be on the bid list somewhere. Enough women in our house met and liked Carla to vote her into membership. She is a beautiful, intelligent and outgoing young lady and any house would have been lucky to have her in its pledge class.
This article never should have been printed on the front page of the paper. Because it was an opinion piece, the best place for it would have been on the Opinions page...not presented on the front page in order to make it appear factual. One former member's opinion, without even a secondary source to back it up, does not a news article make.
Finally, I ask the staff of the cw why you thought it was a good idea to run something that was not designed to do anything except hurt the feelings of a very brave young woman. I hope that Carla and her sisters will rise above this sad excuse for a controversy. And I hope that Ms. Nichols enrolls in a journalism course ASAP. The cw really doesn't need any more hacks on staff.

a REAL alumna of Gamma Phi Beta

Lil' Hannah
09-25-2003, 05:09 PM
I wonder what Nichols' motives were behind writing this piece...

GammaPhiBabe
09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
I wonder what Nichols' motives were behind writing this piece...

She just wanted to start controversy. The CW is a notoriously anti-greek newspaper. What a hack.

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Is our good friend Ms. Nichols in a sorority?

DGMarie
09-25-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm not so sure it was appropriate to pos about the girl's financial difficulties....

33girl
09-25-2003, 06:04 PM
I think that they were trying to say that she left for rather banal reasons ($$) rather than a Big Moral Statement.

AllisonDG
09-25-2003, 06:13 PM
I don't agree with the South bashing (subtly poking fun is more my style ;) ) but you have to admit that there is a reason that this is going on in the South and not in New York, Wisconsin, Washington, wherever. It frustrates me that we're not allowed to discuss that aspect on GC because there are so many Southerners here who get offended even when the "bashing" doesn't take place.

The more we say "Oh, that's just the way it is in the South" the more we tacitly give our approval to it. We all know that there's something very wrong here, so why pretend like there isn't?

I agree...I don't think that people in the north "hide it better" There are african american members of some of the sororities at my school and it is totally a non-issue. I cannot believe that this is such a big issue at that school, so for a person from the south to say that racism isnt any more prevalent in the south than the north is just joking themselves. I am just glad i am from a place where people are accepted for who they are!!!

ztawinthropgirl
09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
This thread looks like *almost* like a rehashing of the Civil War and the sixties. We'd all like to think that we all lived in a perfect little world wherever we live. Unfortunately, this is not true. I wish it was, but how to obtain the perfect world would be argued and rehashed over and over again. That's good because that's the beauty of America. We have the right to argue about issues. But, to tell you the truth, much of the Southern states have moved on from their racial divides. I am not denying there have not been times when racial issues haven't come up, but they come up everywhere around the United States. It's nationwide, not just a regional atrocity.

I live in South Carolina and went to a high school that had 1200 students where maybe 2 or 3 students were hispanic and approximately 30 black students. The rest of the students were white. I lived in a community which the houses were fairly expensive (i.e. minimum $100,000 houses). Even the older houses were considered top dog houses because of how well the owners kept them up. Most people drove around in brand new cars whether they were a Chevrolet, Ford, Mercedes, or BMW, etc.

When I went to college, my first experiences were, yes, a culture shock with so many people from different races, etc. I truly believe, correct me if I am wrong, a lot of college freshmen that are fresh out of high school and haven't lived a very extensive life are, indeed, in culture shock. There are some older adults who've experienced culture shock in recent years.

Keep up the arguments! Remember this is our American right!
;)

texas*princess
09-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by DGMarie
I'm not so sure it was appropriate to pos about the girl's financial difficulties....

I agree... even if the writer of that particular comment was trying to make a point that she didn't leave for a "Big Moral Statement" she could have said something like 'she left for reasons other than alleged recruitment proceedures" or something!

GammaPhiBabe
09-26-2003, 09:55 AM

I'm not sure it was appropriate for a former member to make up lies about my sorority.

White_Chocolate
09-26-2003, 10:19 AM
well, all i know is i went to college in georgia where all-white sororities existed on my campus
when i walked through the rush doors of several 'top' sororities, i heard gasps like they weren't expecting me to be black
first, i had letters from 3 sororities that most of my family members belong to
i had one of the highest GPAs of every rush class
i was already doing volunteer work at one of the sororities philanthropies
the first day, i was cut by all but 2 sororities
and the next day, after the rush parties i told my rush counselor that i was dropping out
when she came back from telling the director, they all came to my room because i didn't get invited back anyway
and they wanted to make sure that 'i was okay with that'

i know that i didn't get in because of the whole race thing
my plan was to go to a northern school, get in one of the sororities that was on that campus, and go back down there and say 'hey, remember me?'
but i didn't
i figured that they weren't worth my time anyway

and it's funny to note
i transferred to a northern school and went through rush as a 2nd yr sophomore
my GPA wasn't even that great(i think it was a 3.0)
and all of the sororities were clamouring for me
i did decide to join one but after having a horrifying experience
i dropped out a week before initiation because i couldn't get past the fact that this sorority in the south had dropped me
thank goodness, i found Phi Sigma Sigma

ilovemyglo
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
well, all i know is i went to college in georgia where all-white sororities existed on my campus
when i walked through the rush doors of several 'top' sororities, i heard gasps like they weren't expecting me to be black
first, i had letters from 3 sororities that most of my family members belong to
i had one of the highest GPAs of every rush class
i was already doing volunteer work at one of the sororities philanthropies
the first day, i was cut by all but 2 sororities
and the next day, after the rush parties i told my rush counselor that i was dropping out
when she came back from telling the director, they all came to my room because i didn't get invited back anyway
and they wanted to make sure that 'i was okay with that'

i know that i didn't get in because of the whole race thing
my plan was to go to a northern school, get in one of the sororities that was on that campus, and go back down there and say 'hey, remember me?'
but i didn't
i figured that they weren't worth my time anyway

and it's funny to note
i transferred to a northern school and went through rush as a 2nd yr sophomore
my GPA wasn't even that great(i think it was a 3.0)
and all of the sororities were clamouring for me
i did decide to join one but after having a horrifying experience
i dropped out a week before initiation because i couldn't get past the fact that this sorority in the south had dropped me
thank goodness, i found Phi Sigma Sigma

You mean you are black LOL!
Girl, that is more class than most girls at 18 have!

ztawinthropgirl
09-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I have a friend, who is black, in another sorority. She went through formal recruitment once and was dropped by all of the sororities. She went through again and received a bid from ADPi. She is the first black lady of that particular ADPi chapter. You know what? She was elected as the executive panhellenic representive the first time she could run for an exec position (which was almost 2 years ago). Do you want to know what position she's finishing her term as of now? PRESIDENT!

I am at a very southern school and this is proof that not all southerners are racist pigs. I know northerners just LOVE poking fun at our so-called "acceptance of racist individuals".

In fact, the racist pigs are INDIVIDUALS of the South, NOT the whole crop of southerners. My friend isn't my "token" black friend. I don't have token friends. Otherwise, they wouldn't be my friends. I have TRUE friends which is more than a lot of people can say whether they are in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, or West coast.

MysticCat
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by AllisonDG
.... so for a person from the south to say that racism isnt any more prevalent in the south than the north is just joking themselves. I am just glad i am from a place where people are accepted for who they are!!! I'm so glad for you too!!!

Edited, based on Adrienne's sound advice, to remove my own snide and passive-aggressive comments... except for the snide comment above.

adduncan
09-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by AllisonDG
so for a person from the south to say that racism isnt any more prevalent in the south than the north is just joking themselves. I am just glad i am from a place where people are accepted for who they are!!!

Ah, passive-aggression. There are so many ways I can slam that approach I can't pick just one.

A couple of corrections, dear.

Your assumption is wrong, I am not from "the south". I was born and raised in New Jersey where I learned about discrimination by being on the receiving end of it. So there's no misunderstanding, New Jersey is NORTH of the Mason-Dixon line.

I also never said anything about the relative prevalence of racism--I DID say that it happens all over, it is just expressed in different ways. Did you even get to that post before shooting off your own?

I've lived long enough and travelled enough and lived in enough places to know that generalizations about racism and where it occurs have plenty of exceptions. I also know that similar incidents of racism get covered by the press differently depending on where they happen.

It isn't necessary to be snide and passive-aggressive in these discussions.

Adrienne
:rolleyes:

MysticCat
09-26-2003, 11:02 AM
It frustrates me that we're not allowed to discuss that aspect on GC because there are so many Southerners here who get offended even when the "bashing" doesn't take place.Sugar and Spice, please believe me, as one Southerner on GC, that I take no offense at all when people want to talk about racism in this country in general and in the South in particular. Of course we still have problems, some serious problems, with racism here -- I'd have to be a fool to deny it. And without question, we have a history rife with racism and racial injuctice -- I'd have to be a historical revisionist to deny that.

But what offends me and others, and what often derails these conversations (and, yes, what makes me defensive) is the "holier-than-thou" attitude that we often (not always, but often) hear (read) from those who don't live here -- the "Thank God I live somewhere enlightened and not in the racist South" comments.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that some of us Southerners get way too defensive if the words "racist" and "South" are even used in the same paragraph. I hope I am not one of those people. But frankly I have little patience with the South-bashing types (and I appreciate that you are not one), who in my view are simply making themselves feel better about racial prejudice by replacing it with regional prejudice.

White_Chocolate
09-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl
I have a friend, who is black, in another sorority. She went through formal recruitment once and was dropped by all of the sororities. She went through again and received a bid from ADPi. She is the first black lady of that particular ADPi chapter. You know what? She was elected as the executive panhellenic representive the first time she could run for an exec position (which was almost 2 years ago). Do you want to know what position she's finishing her term as of now? PRESIDENT!

the fact still remains that she was dropped the first time
why does it take 2 and 3 times for black girls to get into sororities?
well, it doesn't matter. . .i was on my executive board within 3 months of my initiation and the next year, i went on to be vice president
i dont want to be president. . .i'm too opinionated and i want my vote to count

and if sororities are so worried about their precious images, tell them to quit playing and dancing to hip hop music at their socials and mixers
because most of that music is made by black people

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 11:37 AM
I'd much rather deal with the overt brand of discrimination that exists in the South (and this is coming from a Southerner, mind you) than the more benign discrimination that exists in other parts of the country. At least in the South when people don't like you/don't want you, there's no hemming and hawing. You know it, you know how to deal with it (usually by laughing at them) and then you move on.

Oh, and while we're trading anecdotes about the liberalism of the Midwest, let me tell the story of a good friend of mine who, when his family moved to Atlanta from Wisconsin, was told to "be careful in (n-word) town" and "watch your back, keep your doors locked, and stay away from (n-word)."

Playing tit-for-tat gets us nowhere. Racism sucks. Period. That being said, I often wonder if there's any real purpose in threads like this on GC? We all have our firmly entrenched positions, and y'know, it's great to trade them and all, but do you (we) honestly think we're going to convince someone to change his/her mind based on something they read on a message board?

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 11:40 AM
and if sororities are so worried about their precious images, tell them to quit playing and dancing to hip hop music at their socials and mixers
because most of that music is made by black people

Entertaining is one thing. Connecting through the bonds of sisterhood is quite another, apparently. :rolleyes: But even this is nothing new - think back to the 50s and 60s where white kids could dance to music by black artists on American Bandstand and other shows, but black kids weren't allowed to appear on camera, or if they were, they had special "negro days".

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 11:44 AM
I don't have token friends. Otherwise, they wouldn't be my friends.

Yeah, they'd be used to ride the subway or to play skee-ball! :D

(Okay, okay, bad attempt at humour. Sue me. :D)

GeekyPenguin
09-26-2003, 01:37 PM
In fact, the racist pigs are INDIVIDUALS of the South, NOT the whole crop of southerners. My friend isn't my "token" black friend. I don't have token friends. Otherwise, they wouldn't be my friends. I have TRUE friends which is more than a lot of people can say whether they are in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, or West coast.

For the 1865th time, nobody means that every single person below the Mason-Dixon line is a racist. We mean that there are generally more individuals down South who let their racist tendencies shine. I think part of this is that the South is much more traditional and conservative than the rest of the nation.*

*Note I did not say this was a bad thing, I did not make fun of it, I made a statement which can be and has been backed up by facts, studies, polls, etc, etc, etc.

Jill1228
09-26-2003, 01:46 PM
I was afraid of this...
I started talking about a sh*t stirrer who ran to the Crimson White and the thread gets hijacked with the North vs South BS. :rolleyes:

For the 1865th time, nobody means that every single person below the Mason-Dixon line is a racist. We mean that there are generally more individuals down South who let their racist tendencies shine. I think part of this is that the South is much more traditional and conservative than the rest of the nation.*

I agree with this. And there are some parts of the M-D line that I would not be caught dead in.

ie: Bensonhurst section of NY, South Boston, Northern Idaho (well I am glad that the neo Nazis got kicked out of there)

But those are just 3 places

Jill1228
09-26-2003, 01:48 PM
This was posted today in Crimson White
http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/09/26/3f73ec29751ed

This should shut miss thang up!

International chapter calls allegations false
By Megan Nichols
Senior Staff Reporter
September 26, 2003

Gamma Phi Beta's international headquarters denied Thursday that its UA chapter committed any wrongdoing in the process of accepting a black woman and integrating the Capstone's traditionally white sororities during last month's Rush.

In a press release sent to The Crimson White, Gamma Phi Beta's international headquarters said it inquired into allegations reported in Wednesday's edition of The CW and found them to be false.

Former member Stephanie McGee made the allegations against the sorority. She claimed to have observed abnormal procedures when black freshman Carla Ferguson of Tuscaloosa was offered a bid. McGee said only 10 executives were allowed to vote on Ferguson's bid.

McGee also said she believed Gamma Phi Beta rigged Ferguson's acceptance so it could acquire a spot in the Machine, a select coalition of traditionally white fraternities and sororities designed to influence campus politics.

Repeated efforts to reach McGee for further comment were unsuccessful Thursday.

The international chapter's press release said a collegiate leadership consultant from the international organization was present during all of Gamma Phi Beta's Rush activities.

The consultant confirmed that sorority members followed proper procedure, the release said.

"We followed the voting procedures set forth by our International Rules and Procedures, Carla Ferguson meets and exceeds all of our standards of membership, and we are very proud and happy to have her as a sister in Gamma Phi Beta," said Sunnie Corcoran, president of Gamma Phi Beta's UA chapter, in the press release.

Rebecca Beardslee, director of communications for Gamma Phi Beta's international chapter, said she was unprepared to say whether the collegiate leadership consultant was present at all times during Rush. She declined further comment.

Repeated attempts to reach Panhellenic Association President Heather Schacht for comment were unsuccessful Thursday.

Tim Hebson, assistant dean of students and director of the Office of Student Judicial Affairs, said Thursday the University is not planning an investigation into the allegations surrounding Gamma Phi Beta's Rush.

"[The allegations] are totally not valid, and we've already talked to their international person, the chapter adviser, the members of the sorority, and there is just not any credible evidence to do anything at all," he said.

Hebson said the University would launch an investigation into the matter if any further evidence comes to light.

He said the University would investigate if a student files a complaint with Judicial Affairs, but no complaint has been filed thus far.

"At this point there are no plans at all to investigate the sorority," Hebson said.

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Jill1228
I was afraid of this...
I started talking about a sh*t stirrer who ran to the Crimson White and the thread gets hijacked with the North vs South BS. :rolleyes:

Now sis, you know I love you and everything, but if you post a thread that has even a hint of a race-based theme on GC, this is what happens.

My suggestion? Let the whole Bama thing die. The less attention we pay to Carla Ferguson and her new member period, the happier I'm sure she will be. As long as we keep treating integration as a big deal (in 2003, no less) the more people are going to keep treating it as some sort of peculiar anacrhonistic Southern tradition.

33girl
09-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Sistermadly
As long as we keep treating integration as a big deal (in 2003, no less) the more people are going to keep treating it as some sort of peculiar anacrhonistic Southern tradition.

ummmm.....

I don't think we (as in GC) are the ones writing a zillion stories about it in the Crimson White. But it's a Greek related story that has been put out there and therefore, we (as in GC) are discussing it and the effect it will have on Greeks nationwide.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think you are telling the wrong people.

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 03:31 PM
ummmm.....

I don't think we (as in GC) are the ones writing a zillion stories about it in the Crimson White. But it's a Greek related story that has been put out there and therefore, we (as in GC) are discussing it and the effect it will have on Greeks nationwide.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think you are telling the wrong people.

I meant the "royal we" - including those muckrakers at the Crimson White. We may not be writing them, but we sure are paying a heck of a lot of attention to something that should not be a big deal in 2003. And trust me, if I were an alumna of the University of Alabama, I would have a lot to say to the people there. But seeing as how I'm not connected to the school in any remote way, what difference does my opinion make? What difference do all of our opinions make? Sound and fury, yes - but in the long run, what significance does it have to greek life on that campus?

I guess I'm just ticked off that Carla Ferguson is being viewed by a lot of people here and at Alabama as "the Black Gamma Phi" rather than just a Gamma Phi. It boggles my mind that in this millennium, this is considered news.

zchi2
09-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I'd much rather deal with the overt brand of discrimination that exists in the South (and this is coming from a Southerner, mind you) than the more benign discrimination that exists in other parts of the country. At least in the South when people don't like you/don't want you, there's no hemming and hawing. You know it, you know how to deal with it (usually by laughing at them) and then you move on.

True... I wish sometimes people would just let me know that they don't like me because I'm black instead of smiling in my face like they are my friends and talk about me behind my back...

I really hate it when it becomes the North vs. the South discussion too. There are A LOT of places I seriously won't go to that are in Michigan(day time or night time)! Actually I can count on one hand how many cities I would even feel comfortable living within Michigan. There is a lot of improve ment that needs to be done EVERYWHERE in America.

Just a question... i'm sure the young lady who was admitted in Gamma Phi Beta at UA is welcomed... however... I wonder how "welcomed" other minorities (not just black) would feel if the number minorities who came out to rush went from one or two to twenty or thirty....

33girl
09-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by zchi2
Just a question... i'm sure the young lady who was admitted in Gamma Phi Beta at UA is welcomed... however... I wonder how "welcomed" other minorities (not just black) would feel if the number minorities who came out to rush went from one or two to twenty or thirty....

Then maybe it wouldn't be such a friggin big deal. I did read somewhere that there are Asian-Americans and Latinas in some of the groups at UA. How many, I don't know.

zchi2
09-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Then maybe it wouldn't be such a friggin big deal. I did read somewhere that there are Asian-Americans and Latinas in some of the groups at UA. How many, I don't know.

It might not be a big deal... but from MY experience... It's ok when there are only one or two minorities in certain groups (I'm not just talking about fraternal organizations) but when the number increases from 1% to 20-30%, then people stop being so welcoming...

33girl
09-26-2003, 03:55 PM
oh OK, I understand. thanks for clarifying. :)

sugar and spice
09-26-2003, 04:39 PM

Oh, and while we're trading anecdotes about the liberalism of the Midwest, let me tell the story of a good friend of mine who, when his family moved to Atlanta from Wisconsin, was told to "be careful in (n-word) town" and "watch your back, keep your doors locked, and stay away from (n-word)."

Playing tit-for-tat gets us nowhere. Racism sucks. Period. That being said, I often wonder if there's any real purpose in threads like this on GC? We all have our firmly entrenched positions, and y'know, it's great to trade them and all, but do you (we) honestly think we're going to convince someone to change his/her mind based on something they read on a message board?

I think it's ridiculous to assume that "benign racism" exists only in the North and "hostile overt racism" exists only in the South. I've seen incidents of both all over the United States. One of my African-American teachers said she feared for her life because of her race more in Indiana than any other state she'd taught in. There are plenty of benign racists in the South (and plenty of people who aren't very racist at all!), and there are plenty of hostile racists in the North.

But the fact of the matter is that we aren't seeing nearly as many incidents like this one happen in the North as we are in the South, at least not within the Greek system. Why is that?

The South has race issues. That DOESN'T mean that the rest of the country doesn't.

Tom Earp
09-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, why dont we all get over this shit, Yes, I did not stutter!:)

We have been through this a lot of times!:(

I am not Racist, hell, I dont like anybody!:mad:

Did any of you know that some one was of a different pigmantation from the name or the Greek Letters? DAHA!

Nope, did you?
Some of the pettiness of color clouds a lot of minds, but why does it have to be on here?:rolleyes: If you do not like my phylosophy, then you too may kiss my Rainbowed ?:cool:

Is there still racisim going on!? Will it still go on? Will We be bigger than it?

If you dont like I am a Honkey Pig, or a Gentile, or a Round Eye, or a what the hell ever, F**Kyou. I am a person who Cares, do you? :confused:

Each and everyones Self Importantance is getting underwhelming!:p

I have been notified by several people that they may drop out of GC. Why, just for this same S**T.. I have been thinking of it also, but why should I let of Bunch of Snakes run me OFF!

YOU EACH MUST MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

In OR Out!:confused:

You are a guest here, that is all!:)

Sistermadly
09-26-2003, 08:05 PM
I think it's ridiculous to assume that "benign racism" exists only in the North and "hostile overt racism" exists only in the South. I've seen incidents of both all over the United States. One of my African-American teachers said she feared for her life because of her race more in Indiana than any other state she'd taught in. There are plenty of benign racists in the South (and plenty of people who aren't very racist at all!), and there are plenty of hostile racists in the North.

Seeing it -- especially from the perspective of an outsider -- is one thing. Living day to day in BOTH regions as a non-white person is quite another.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If you haven't walked in my shoes, you haven't lived my experience (nor have I lived yours). I think it is fair to say that in cases of racism or perceived discrimination, perspective is EVERYTHING.

Oh, and FWIW, I never said that the discrimination that exists in the south is only hostile. One of the most interesting experiences I had was with an old white woman who kept calling me 'gal' -- and couldn't for the life of her figure out why I found it offensive. Did I fly off the handle? No. Did she? No. It was a very genteel exchange - but it was still an overt case of racism.

I've had folks in the South tell me to my face that they don't like coloreds/nigras/blacks. They were as polite as they could be about it - but at least they were up front. These days, I don't sense that kind of willingness to express bigotry from the Northerners I interact with - instead, it comes out in more subtle ways, like saying no more apartments are available when I go to look at a place, but suddenly the place is available when my (non-Black) husband goes to look. That is what I meant by the distinction. I hope it clears it up for you.

ztawinthropgirl
09-26-2003, 09:36 PM
White_Chocolate,

I had to go through twice and I am white. :rolleyes: So what was wrong with me?

KillarneyRose
09-26-2003, 10:36 PM
White_Chocolate,

I had to go through twice and I am white. :rolleyes: So what was wrong with me?

Maybe they thought you were obnoxious.

VirtuousErudite
09-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Maybe they thought you were obnoxious.

He he he

BobraFCD
09-27-2003, 09:26 PM
I was the first African-American to pledge AOII at U of Illinois in the Fall of 1985. The local newspaper did a story on me after I initiated. I remember thinking, "I hope this isn't such a big deal 20 years from now." I had the same accusations made by people who were not asked to pledge AOII. They figured that somehow an affirmative-action plan was the reason I got in and they didn't.

But for people who were taught and ignorantly believed their skin color inherently makes them superior to someone, this is the only rationalization their brain can muster. Most people simultaneously believe that "all men are created equal" and "I am better than you because of my (fill in the blank-race, religion, socio-economic background, hair texture, whatever.)

It didn't bother me too much because I grew up in a small town with integrated schools and always had more white friends than black--that was my environment. Pledging AOII didn't surprise anyone who knew me, but for a campus where most people grew up in more homogenous environments, it was different.

Overall I had a GREAT experience and I'm still involved in my alumnae chapter. I knew going into it that it would be an educational experience for a lot of people, myself included.

I really prepared myself emotionally before making the decision--things like the possibility of being ostracized by both black and white greeks, people staring when I wore letters, and well-meaning people making dumb remarks. Then there were social issues--like dates for dances. Finding blacks who were comfortable going to an AOII dance or dating white men. But these weren't new issues--I'd been dealing with them my whole life.

I'm sure this woman thought about or already had been experiencing these things. Anyone who has ever been the "only" in a group is painfully aware they are different. It's a matter of comfort level with that.

APhi Diva
09-28-2003, 12:29 AM
My guess is that all the other sororities cut her. It wouldn't really be that surprising at Bama.

Basically the accusation being made is that "the Machine" promised to let Gamma Phi join if they accepted a black woman. The Machine is getting sick of everyone telling them how racist they are, so they decided to de-segregate the sorority system this year. However, none of the "top" chapters wanted to risk their reputations by bidding an African-American, so they wanted one of the not so prestigious sororities to do instead. They promised Gamma Phi entrance into the Machine as a bribe, which would theoretically raise their social standing on campus.

Now who knows how much of that is true. But the thing I think is hilarious is that if parts of it are true, and the Machine sororities are so worried about how their reps will suffer as a result of taking a black new member that they make a less prestigious chapter do it -- they're so worried about their reputation on the Bama campus that they are making themselves look like idiots to the rest of the world. Outside of the Bama Greek system, Gamma Phi comes off as the most enlightened and classy sorority of the bunch whereas the other groups come off like racist snots.

Sugar and Spice, you are DEAD on the money! I followed the story fairly closely when it broke and some of the posts on the Crimson White's website were just FRIGHTENING! I had no idea that such racists losers still existed, let alone considered themselves members of decent society!

My heart goes out to Ms. Ferguson for enduring what must continue to be a difficult situation and the hate inflicted on her by bunch of closed minded a**holes!

Tom Earp
09-28-2003, 12:35 AM
I suggest a mixture of one part to one part:

Hater Ade with Pimp Juice!:)

Pimp Juice one may ask?

Born in Kansas City and Bottled in St. Louis!:D

Maybe that will make a better tasting drink?:p

ztawinthropgirl
09-28-2003, 08:24 AM
If this story ends up being true, this is quite sad. The sorority that took her should be proud of her. I most certainly hope so. Do you guys know if she's still in the sorority? I might have missed that in the article.

If she is still in, I hope she becomes president of that sorority because she could really shake things up at that school if the story is true.

As I have said earlier, it's a shame Northerners and others like to look at the South as a group in general rather than as individuals. The South has overcome the racial divides it experienced in the 60's and in earlier years. I mean look at Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA! You also have Memphis, TN (which brought everyone Elvis, by the way) and Columbia, SC. It's a shame people can't get over something that happened almost 40 years ago (i.e. Civil Rights Movement) or even 150 years ago (i.e. Civil War). They're over and done with! Let's move on!

Sistermadly
09-28-2003, 09:15 AM
The South has overcome the racial divides it experienced in the 60's and in earlier years. I mean look at Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA!

Excellent point. Folks love to talk about how oppressed black southerners are, but you will find more blacks in positions of political leadership in the South and Southeast than you will in any other part of the United States. I'm not sure I agree that the slavery and the Civil Rights movement are things to be "gotten over", but to say that life is terrible just because black women may or may not be admitted to NPC chapters south of the Mason/Dixon line is kind of a myopic view.

GammaPhiBabe
09-28-2003, 10:14 AM
If this story ends up being true, this is quite sad. The sorority that took her should be proud of her. I most certainly hope so. Do you guys know if she's still in the sorority? I might have missed that in the article.

1. The "story" (if you can call someone printing the opinions of a former member of an organization who was not even present for the events she is describing a "story") is not true. Not one bit of it is true, even down to the number of members on the executive board of that chapter.

2. The sorority that "took" her IS very proud of her. Carla is a beautiful and intelligent young lady, as are the other members of her pledge class.

3. She is still in the sorority's new member class. I posted earlier that she will be initiated on October 16, along with the rest of her pledge sisters.

carnation
09-28-2003, 10:25 AM
We need to listen to what GammaPhiBabe has to say. She is THERE with that chapter; she knows what happened and what is media-driven crap. We've all seen how one disgruntled member can drag a chapter through the mud for her own reasons (that AGD at UGa a couple of years ago), so some people need to quit believing that just because a paper published something it's true.

Hijacks that ramble off into insults and generalization about the South aren't serving any purpose except making the GC Southerners angry. I don't know one Southern GCer who's anything but thrilled that Gamma Phi pledged Carla--so why do some people feel compelled to keep making comments about racism? We are behind her. Lay off.

ztawinthropgirl
09-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Congrats to her!

Munchkin03
09-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by carnation
We need to listen to what GammaPhiBabe has to say. She is THERE with that chapter; she knows what happened and what is media-driven crap. We've all seen how one disgruntled member can drag a chapter through the mud for her own reasons (that AGD at UGa a couple of years ago), so some people need to quit believing that just because a paper published something it's true.

Hijacks that ramble off into insults and generalization about the South aren't serving any purpose except making the GC Southerners angry. I don't know one Southern GCer who's anything but thrilled that Gamma Phi pledged Carla--so why do some people feel compelled to keep making comments about racism? We are behind her. Lay off.

I don't think anyone isn't listening to GammaPhiBabe. If anything, it seems that most of us dismissed the allegations McGee made as being based on jealousy or ulterior motives (hence the title of the post). There has not been any negative comments against the Gamma Phi chapter. We all know the general ineptitude of most campus newspapers, especially those with a strong anti-Greek bias like the CW.

I don't see any insults or generalizations about the South on this thread, and I was born and raised in the South--so I imagine that I would be pretty sensitive to it. I'm just not overly sensitive to it, and I can see where my home region needs to make some progress. :)

AUDeltaGam
09-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by carnation

I love Carnation :)

Angels&Arrows
09-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by PSPGirl
I love Carnation :)

PSPGirl... You took the words right out of my mouth!!! As I read her post.. I was yelling AMEN, like I was at home in my grandmother's church!!!!!!!!!

AUDeltaGam
09-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows
PSPGirl... You took the words right out of my mouth!!! As I read her post.. I was yelling AMEN, like I was at home in my grandmother's church!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! :D

wishuweresigdel
09-28-2003, 05:56 PM
I don't understand what the big deal of letting an african american into a npc. my sorority has an african american, dominican, nigerian, a girl from turkey is rushing this semester and maybe a girl from egypt. also, the kappa alpha psi chapter on my campus has a white brother as president. maybe my campus is more diversified but shouldn't the same national rules apply to everyone?

2blue
09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
So much ink about this wonderful young lady and almost none about minority pledges at other campuses.

As the T-shirt says, "GET OVER IT!

I just read this and thought it applied...

"At the end of the night, everyone is proud of everyone else, we couldn't be a house without rush. ... It's all about sisterhood and friendship, when all our hard work comes to fruition," Miller said.
--UCLA Article on Rush Thread.

BobraFCD
09-28-2003, 06:44 PM
I think on a very conceptual level most people don't see what the big deal is about inviting someone who is different into your life. Public policy has pushed integration and unity and embracing diversity. On a pure business and community level, it is necessary. And as the face of America is browning, fraternities better wake-up and accept that being open to diversity will be key to keeping membership strong.

But that doesn't mean parents believe and are teaching their children the same thing privately, behind the closed doors of their homes. Many people were raised with social parameters when it comes to diversity (i.e. it's okay to be friends but don't date one). Like I said before, most people simultaneously believe that "all men are created equal" and "I am superior to you because of my fill in the blank" Like everyone said, all the isms start in the hearts of individuals

I don't think Southerns are more racist or less racist than any other region of the country (I'm a black woman who has lived everywhere and have seen the good bad and ugly everywhere) but culturally speaking, Southerners are more grounded in, or put more emphasis on history and tradition. Traditions die hard in this country. .

I applaud the women of GPB and Carla Fergueson for getting past tradition. Hopefully in 5 years, this topic will not even make it to the Greek Chat room.

BobraFCD
09-28-2003, 06:55 PM
2Blue said:
So much ink about this wonderful young lady and almost none about minority pledges at other campuses.

Actually--I asked the question weeks ago in the AOII room about recruitment diversity. You can check it out--I think 10 people responded.

RACooper
09-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Alright......

Look race, colour, religion, or sexual orientation is only an issue if you make it an issue. Really look at the person instead of the label. As long as you are hung up on the label you will have problems..... This girl sounds like a great addition to GPB, so what if she happens to be black? I mean come on....