PDA

View Full Version : Rush at UC Davis . . .

UCDErn
09-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi girls!! I'm kinda new to the boards, but I've been reading them for a little while and they've been very helpfull! Okay, so this fall I will be a 2nd year at University of California, Davis. I didn't rush fall of last year (my freshman year) because I wasn't sure I wanted to join a sorrority and wanted time to adjust to the new school, being away from home, classes, etc. I had a really awesome first year, but felt like I was missing out on something. So towards the end of the year I decided I really wanted to rush, but unfortunately Davis doesn't have any kind of formal recruitment in the spring (and I didn't know which sorrority I wanted to join). One thing that I didn't even know I'd have to worry about though was that rushing as a sophomore is sometimes more difficult than as a freshman! :eek: I read a thread about it and got really scared! People were saying that it was more of an issue with upperclassmen getting cut a lot (just because of their class standing) at more "competitive schools". But the thing is I'm not sure how competitive Davis is... we have 8 NPC sorrorities: Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Phi, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Pi Beta Phi. And I think that I heard something like 4 of them made quota last year. My sister was Membership VP in her sorrority at UC Santa Barbara for the last 2 years, so she and her friends have told me a lot about how rush goes there and how competitive it is, but I know it's different at every school... They also said that I'd be an "ideal PNM" because I'm pretty well-rounded and easy to talk to, which made me feel better :D, but I am still nervous! There have been a fair amount of people in my family who have been greek, but I'm not a legacy to any of the sorrorities at Davis, and I thought about getting recs, but people said I don't really need them. I don't know anyone too well that's in a sorrority at Davis who can tell me about rush at Davis specifically, so I was hoping there would be someone here that either goes to Davis and can tell me about it, or that at least knows more than I do about Davis recruitment. So if anyone can tell me anything about how competitive it is there, what it's like for sophomores rushing, what rush is like in general, and if there's anything I should keep in mind that'd be great!!! thanks!!

MSKKG
09-10-2003, 04:34 PM
First off, thanks for providing us addicts with another rush thread! Good luck with recruitment.

It's my opinion that you would be better off getting recs, especially going through as a sophomore. I went to Ole Miss where recs are HIGHLY encouraged, but even so, a rec couldn't hurt at a university which doesn't. Someone on GC went through recruitment recently and was told recs were not necessary. She found out that maybe that wasn't so true. As far as Kappa is concerned, every new member must have a rec, which is sent to HQ.

You've got a lot of great GLOs to choose from--enjoy!

DDDBean
09-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi... I'm actually an alum from UCD. I'm an advisor there, too. Because I'm still affiliated with the chapter, I'm probably limited as to what I can share with you, but feel free to e-mail me (jhurst@counties.org) with specific questions... I promise Panhellenic-minded answers.

Recs are helpful, but not necessary. Your class standing won't make as much of a difference as it does at other schools. It's much more relaxed and low-key than what you've read about elsewhere.

Best wishes... my greek experience at Davis was lots of fun!

TheCuterHooter
09-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Hey, I'm actually at UCDavis going through my first recruitment on the other side. Don't worry about being a 2nd year going through formal, I was always told it's better to settle in your freshman year and get used to being in college before going greek.

Recs aren't a big deal here, if you can get them, great, but you're not doomed if you don't have them.

I just wanted to ask if you're going through formal recruitment with a friend, I've heard from my sisters that formal can be a little stressful and it totally helps to have a friend there with you.

Feel free to send me a pm or ask any other questions.

Good luck finding the best house for you!!

*muah*:)

Maroon5grl
09-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Two of my best friends are going to Davis as freshmen this year and they're very excited. Actually a really high percentage of people from my school go to Davis, probably more so than any other UC, I think because it's so close to home. Anyway best of luck!!!! When does your rush start? Is it the same day as UCI's (I think the 26nd or I might be off a day or two)?

TriDeltaGal
09-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Yay! Another UC rush! I went to UCLA and it is somewhat different than UCDavis' rush. However, I had several friends that went there and I even considered going there and checked out the Greek scene so PM if you have any questions and I will help you out as well as I can! Good Luck!

KappaKittyCat
09-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Yay for another rush thread, especially one with Kappa in it. I'd definitely suggest getting recs even though they're not strictly required. It shows that you care about joining a sorority enough to put some time & effort into the prep work. I know your sister's not in an org that's got a chapter at UC-Davis, but I'm sure she can put you into contact with some alumnae in the area who can give you a lead on an alumnae panhellenic. Also, ask adults you know. You'd be surprised to find out how many are Greek. Finally, if any of your friends from high school have joined sororities, they can write you a rec or put you in contact with an alumna who could.

Good luck and keep us posted. When does the fun begin?

UCDErn
09-11-2003, 03:27 AM
wow you guys are awesome! thanks for all of the advice and encouragement!!! A lot of you have been talking about getting recs and it sounds like it could only help me so I'm trying to think of who I could get to write them... someone said how I could get my sister to write me one that would just go to all of the sorrorities (b/c she was in Gamma Phi Beta, and we don't have it at Davis). BUT, there is one problem with that, she's backpacking in Europe and doesn't get back until I will be halfway through rush. I am actually pretty close though with one of her really good friends who she went to high school with (and was in her same sorrority at Santa Barbara), so would she be a good person to write me a rec? There's also my best friend's mom who was in Delta Gamma (an org which IS at Davis!) who I'm sure would be willing to write me a rec. But other than that I dunno... Do PNMs have people they don't even really know write them recs? This just seems kinda strange to me b/c I'd think they'd have to know the person in order to recommend them, right?! :confused:
Rush for us starts on September 22nd (we start school the 25th) and bid day is Sunday the 28th. I'm moving into my apartment this weekend so I will have lots of time to get all nice and settled before rush starts!!
One more thing I am a little curious about though is what to wear... I mean, I have a few outfits in mind, and I know it starts casual-ish and gets more formal as rush goes on, but I'm not sure like what you're supposed to wear on each day. I sent my rush registration in a while ago, and I figured they'd send me something telling me the suggested attire, but all I got was an email saying they got my registration and where to go on the first day.

Thanks again for all you guys' help!! I really appretiate it!

bethany1982
09-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Good luck and have fun.

Energizer420
09-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Best of luck with everything and dont worry there is always a home for everyone

WhiteDaisy128
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
The best recs to send to the sororities are recs from their own members (though not just chapter members). Several ways to do this: Get your mom's best friend to write the DG one, and then maybe contact the local alumnae Panhellenic and they might hook you up with some information about local alumnae chapters of each of the organizations...maybe you can schedule a lunch or two and briefly meet someone who might write you a rec. If it comes down to it though, have your sister's "sister" write you one for each of the chapters...it'll mean more than nothing.

AOTTAdvisor
09-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey there--I was in somewhat of your same situation with the rec thing but my boyfriends sister was Panhellenic president of her school and had someone from each organization that was at my school just write me a "I don't know Lesley but I have a friend that does and she says she is cool" kind of letter. My boyfriends sister was a KD and we did not have that at Elon and I don't know if those kind of recs meant anything but like White Daisy said, any kind of beforehand knowledge of you is GREAT!! Good luck!

33girl
09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by UCDErn
we start school the 25th

wow, that seems late. Do all schools in Cali start that late, or is it because they're on quarters?

AmeeLynn
09-11-2003, 01:23 PM
my school also starts the 25th, but i am in washington so i dont think it is just a cali thing. anyways i have been reading this thread and i would just like to wish UCDErn the best of luck with her rush. the best advice i can give you is to just follow your heart.

polarpi
09-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
wow, that seems late. Do all schools in Cali start that late, or is it because they're on quarters?

UC schools start later than CSU schools, but I think they're on trimesters (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) I know that CSU schools down here in San Diego area started September 2, and UC schools usually do not begin until the end of September.

TriDeltaGal
09-11-2003, 03:46 PM
We are on the quarter system so we have four quarters a year and three of those are in the normal school year (summer, the fourth quarter is divided into three terms...yes, I know it is confusing). All UCs are quarter programs except Berkeley, hope that clears it up!

wishuponastar
09-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by polarpi
UC schools start later than CSU schools, but I think they're on trimesters (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) I know that CSU schools down here in San Diego area started September 2, and UC schools usually do not begin until the end of September.

That is correct! UC Berkeley started in August because it is on the semester system, however, the other UC schools are on a trimester system and start in late September!! :)

wishuponastar
09-11-2003, 03:49 PM
TriDeltaGal we must have posted that at the same time!! :D Great UC minds must think alike!!! :)

AYE FEE
09-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Yay! I love CA rush stories! I know a lot of A-Phis at UCD and they are so excitied for rush! Good luck Erin!

On another note - when was your sister a G-Phi-B @ UCSB? I was a very involved member of my chapter as well from 1998-2002, so we may have crossed paths...

d

chideltjen
09-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Yay a nor cal rush thread!! I am an alum from your rival school, sac state.

For those wondering about late starts and CSU's, CSU Hayward is on the quarter system and starts late like Davis does. From what I know, most CSU's are on semester system (our recruitment is going on now) and UCs are quarter... but like someone mentioned above, there are exceptions.

bsp-mich24
09-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Welcome to GC Erin and Good Luck with recruitment.:)

Buttonz
09-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Welcome to GC and good luck!!!

UCDErn
09-17-2003, 09:49 PM
hey girls! thanks again for the continued support! Omigosh, my rush starts next Monday (in less than a week!!!) and I am gettin nervous.. I think it will be okay though and that it is just a few butterflies. I was up in Davis the last few days and saw the houses all getting ready for rush (girls out front doing yardwork, signs up in front of a lot of them saying "GO GREEK!") and it got me excited!! I can't wait until I find a house that fits me :D . I was also excited to hear about a couple more people that I know that are rushing this year (as sophomores also) so I won't be alone! About the rec thing, I only have one and it's for DG, but I figure one is better than nothing, and people say rush at Davis is pretty laid back. Anyways i'm back up at Davis in a few days, and then we don't get our internet in the apartment until I'll be almost done with rush, but I'll let you guys know where i end up! :)

Lil_ChiO_Lady
09-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by TheCuterHooter
Hey, I'm actually at UCDavis going through my first recruitment on the other side. Don't worry about being a 2nd year going through formal, I was always told it's better to settle in your freshman year and get used to being in college before going greek.

Ohh our Natinal Consultant Amy, is there with you girls now ,right.?..she mentioned on Sunday when she was leaving us after our rush, that she was heading to UC Davis during your recruitment...She is a lil cutie but she knows how to get serious.Tell her the Psi Zeta chapter said Hi!
:D

mmcat
09-19-2003, 08:21 AM
get set to have a ball. enjoy it all.

TheCuterHooter
09-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Omigod! ChiOLady, Amy is such a cutie, she's just like a ball of energy!!!! The Chi Omegas at UCDavis are loving her so much, there' just so many great things about her and she's got the greatest ideas! I'll tell her Psi Zeta chapter said hi, if you give me your name I can tell her you said hi personally.

I'm super excited, we are putting a lot of work into making all the PNMs feel super welcome for recruitment on Monday. I can't wait! :) :) :) :) :)

*muah*

Optimist Prime
09-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Congratulations:D

Aphigurl
09-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Good Luck at formal recruitment.:)

astroAPhi
09-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Good luck Erin!

UGAnchora
09-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Good luck!

texas*princess
09-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Best wishes! Have a wonderful time!

UCDErn
10-01-2003, 05:19 AM
well last Sunday was bid day after a long and grueling week of rush (it was fun but I still have blisters on my feet from walking so much!) AND... I ended up getting a bid from Delta Delta Delta! The girls there are really nice so I am excited. And I was really glad that my fear of being the only sophomore rushing didn't stop me from doing it– because I think that there were actually more sophomores than freshman rushing!

JohnsDGsweethrt
10-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Congrads to you and tri delt! :D

mmcat
10-01-2003, 07:06 AM
there you go...
have a wonderful time. enjoy it all.

ZTAngel
10-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Congratulations!

aephi alum
10-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Congrats! :)

honeychile
10-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Congratulations, Erin and Tri Delta!

breathesgelatin
10-01-2003, 10:52 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Two California Tri-Delts in one day! :)

Jill1228
10-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Congrats to you and Tri Delt!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/rainbowdance.gif

astroAPhi
10-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Yay for you and Tri Delta!

sugar and spice
10-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the family!

AXO_MOM_3
10-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Congrats to you and Delta Delta Delta!

TriDeltaGal
10-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Yay for Tridelta.. today was our day! UCDErn, I knew it work out for you and you would have no problem finding a home! Delta Love from a fellow UC Tridelta!!

polarpi
10-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Congratulations on your new membership in Tri Delta! :)

erniegurl00
10-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Congrats!

I also have to say that I find it funny that you go by Ern as well. We share names and nicknames! :D

pinkyphimu
10-02-2003, 07:50 PM
congrats erin!!!

tri-d
10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Just had to get my congrats in! Enjoy every moment of the pledge process--and welcome to DDD!

SparkliiQTMTSU
10-02-2003, 09:55 PM
YAY! Congrats! Have a great time with your new sisters!

Nichole

GPhiLlama
10-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Congrats and Kudos to you and Tri-Delta! I hope you're happy in your new home!