PDA

View Full Version : BG's boyfriend's brother's rush

breathesgelatin
08-20-2003, 01:21 AM
Ok...

My boyfriend's brother is starting Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas this fall. He's from Austin. He's currently trying out for the soccer team and going to events with fraternities--I know he got a couple of calls over the summer already.

They have:

Kappa Alpha Order (a colony, I think)
Kappa Sigma
Phi Delta Theta
Pi Kappa Alpha

He is a legacy to Lambda Chi Alpha through his dad (although there is no LXA chapter), Kappa Sigma through his oldest brother, and Pi Kappa Alpha through his middle brother (my boyfriend!). It looks pretty likely that he will be a Kappa Sig, since his oldest brother was a Kappa Sig at Southwestern and was President I think and is now a very active alum. But I'll try to post stuff about his rush. I thought it might be fun to have a guy's perspective on all of this. :D

SparkliiQTMTSU
08-20-2003, 01:23 AM
OooOo we definitly dont see these too often :) I cant wait to hear about it!

Nichole

Buttonz
09-20-2003, 04:54 PM
*Bump* Any news???

breathesgelatin
09-20-2003, 05:26 PM
haha in the busy-ness of school I'd forgotten to update AND find out!

Well, the "formal" rush and pledging isn't until Janurary at Southwestern, but the open season for rush has already starting. There is basically informal rushing and partying all this term!

I'll ask my boyfriend what's up. He's a little worried because his older brother and younger brother are very different and he's worried little bro will feel pressured into joining Kappa Sig. Additionally, the Kappa Sigs have an expectation that little bro is going to be like big bro--who was President and is now a super-dedicated award-winning alum. Little bro is more laid back. I'll get the update from middle bro (mine!) and let you know what's up soon. :)

James
09-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Yeah all that, but I have it on the highest authority that Kappa Sigma is a premier organization lol . . . ;)

breathesgelatin
10-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Ok, so I have little bro's AIM name now so I can get info whenever. I talked to him a few days ago and he said that he's just hanging out and enjoying different parties right now. He has a good impression of Pika--they have a good turnout at their parties and he's met a lot of folks there. However, he's not really sure if the Greek thing is for him or not. He is definately open-minded right now but I think his laid-back side is leaning towards not going through the formal rush.

Also, he said that KA is on probation right now so he didn't have a very good impression of that.

I'm not really being discreet with the names... maybe I should be???

James
10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Too late now.
:)

breathesgelatin
10-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by James
Too late now.

yeeeaaah... :)

mattpike
11-22-2003, 01:23 PM
till him to go pike. he cant go wrong. greek is for everybody it adds diversity to your group when you have people who have a different personality. the people who didnt think greek life was for them, like me, turn out to love it the most. i love fraternity life, maybe thats just because i am a Pike.

Tom Earp
11-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Shame there is No LXA Chapter there, but never know. LXA is looking all of the time at possible Schools.

Why not start and interest group for LXA. I do know some contacts at Hdq!

Where is His Dad a LXA at?

I find this very intresting.

It looks like the Greek Mens Orgs have a nice but small line up!

But that seems to be a problem everywhere. Small % of Greeks on Campus. A lot stems from the Lack of Soroitys on campus also.

Frateritys can expand, but Soroitys in thier infinite wisdom have a expansion policy beyond beleif!:(

dzrose93
12-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Ok, so I have little bro's AIM name now so I can get info whenever. I talked to him a few days ago and he said that he's just hanging out and enjoying different parties right now. He has a good impression of Pika--they have a good turnout at their parties and he's met a lot of folks there. However, he's not really sure if the Greek thing is for him or not. He is definately open-minded right now but I think his laid-back side is leaning towards not going through the formal rush.

Also, he said that KA is on probation right now so he didn't have a very good impression of that.

I'm not really being discreet with the names... maybe I should be???

I don't know anything about the school, so this is just a thought, but maybe little bro got confused about KA being on probation? When a local group is trying to become an official KA chapter, they are granted "provisional" status as a KA colony. I wonder if he saw the term "provisional" and thought that the guys were on probation? It's not hard to confuse the two because, technically, provisional status is a probationary period for a colony because they haven't been awarded full chapter status yet.

Anyway, I was just wondering because your first mention of KA in the thread talked about them being a colony. :)

breathesgelatin
12-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by dzrose93
I don't know anything about the school, so this is just a thought, but maybe little bro got confused about KA being on probation? When a local group is trying to become an official KA chapter, they are granted "provisional" status as a KA colony. I wonder if he saw the term "provisional" and thought that the guys were on probation? It's not hard to confuse the two because, technically, provisional status is a probationary period for a colony because they haven't been awarded full chapter status yet.

Anyway, I was just wondering because your first mention of KA in the thread talked about them being a colony. :)

Good question. When I looked at the Southwestern website to read about the groups at the school, it listed as a provisional chapter, so I assumed it was a colony. When little bro said they were on probation, I figured I'd just misinterpreted what "provisional" means. But maybe he was just confused! My guess is that maybe that were a full chapter and are now recolonizing for whatever reason?? :)

Right now he isn't really sure about rushing, I don't think. He has a girlfriend at Texas State University, so that takes up a lot of his time. I think he may just go through with it, but we'll see. Middle bro (boyfriend) isn't so good at finding out information. :p

dvs-dz
12-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm a Southwestern graduate (mumblesomething years ago). KA has been at Southwestern for a long, long time (before 1900). There was a problem a couple of years ago with the chapter, for which I've heard rumors but will not repeat. The KA chapter was shut down for a few years, and is now returning.

I just really hope their blooper reel from past Derby Days has been "lost".

adduncan
12-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Good question. When I looked at the Southwestern website to read about the groups at the school, it listed as a provisional chapter, so I assumed it was a colony. When little bro said they were on probation, I figured I'd just misinterpreted what "provisional" means. But maybe he was just confused! My guess is that maybe that were a full chapter and are now recolonizing for whatever reason?? :)

I just asked Mr. Adrienne about this. In KA a colony is called a Provisional Chapter. For example, Epsilon Rho at Purdue closed for numbers a few years back, and is recolonizing, so the "Provisional" just got tacked on to their title again.

Regarding the comment about prior misconduct: KA national takes "ungentlemanly conduct" very seriously. If there is *any* complaint against a chapter, they suspend it on the spot pending an investigation. If the complaint is unfounded, the suspension is lifted and things proceed as usual. If there is a foundation for the complaint the chapter gets at least reorganized, and sometimes they'll get their charter yanked. This just happened at UTA (suspension, the chapter was aquitted of any wrongdoing) and TX A&M (full reorganization a few years back.) Even the Alpha Chapter and W&L had this experience.

</hijack>

Adrienne

breathesgelatin
12-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by adduncan
Even the Alpha Chapter and W&L had this experience.

</hijack>

Adrienne

Yup, they sure as heck did. :o :eek:

I will say no more on that one!!

I think if he pledges, he'll pledge Kappa Sig or *maybe* Pike. We'll just have to see.

AlphaXiGirl
12-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp
It looks like the Greek Mens Orgs have a nice but small line up!

But that seems to be a problem everywhere. Small % of Greeks on Campus. A lot stems from the Lack of Soroitys on campus also.

Frateritys can expand, but Soroitys in thier infinite wisdom have a expansion policy beyond beleif!:(

Southwestern is a small private school. For a school of about 1300 students, I think four fraternities and four sororities is great!

I love that campus. I spent six years in the Austin area and got to visit the SU campus often.

breathesgelatin
12-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Latest news:

Little Bro is getting rushed by Kappa Sig. Big Bro's birthday party is January 1 and they're having a gala party at an Austin hotel to celebrate New Year's/the superness of Kappa Sig alum power that is Big Bro. Big Bro just found out that Little Bro was invited to the event by the brothers who are rushing them and now feels super awkward. Middle Bro and I both find this hilarious. :p

I'll keep y'all updated... In other news Big Bro is dating a Delta Gamma that went to the same high school as my chapter President....

breathesgelatin
01-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that little brother is now a pledge of the Iota chapter of Kappa Sigma. They got 9 guys this year!

Iota Chapter Website (http://www.southwestern.edu/student-life/organizations/kappa-sigma/)

Anyway, I'm excited for him!

aephi alum
01-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Congrats to him! :)

Munchkin03
01-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by AlphaXiGirl
Southwestern is a small private school. For a school of about 1300 students, I think four fraternities and four sororities is great!

That sounds wonderful...my undergrad is 5000, and we had 8 fraternities, 2 co-eds, and 2 sororities. That makes Southwestern a very active campus.

CatStarESP4
01-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Congratulations to him and KS!!!!!

http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/otn/party/partytime.gif

Sister Havana
01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Congrats to him and his new Kappa Sigma family!

Rudey
01-25-2004, 10:46 PM
This is...ghey.

Only girls want to hear about real-life rush stories.

-Rudey

bsp-mich24
01-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Congrats to "him"and KS.

mmcat
01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
enjoy the ride...
may KS be perfection for you...

Jill1228
01-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Congrats to him and KS

rainbowbrightCS
01-25-2004, 11:34 PM
congrats to him.

tinydancer
01-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Oh, I'm so glad he went Kappa Sig! My uncle was a Kappa Sig and they are special to me.

sigtau305
01-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Congrats to him