PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Gamma Phi fact?

GeekyPenguin
07-26-2003, 01:44 AM
This thread is all about fun Gamma Phi facts. They can be international, local, alumnae, collegiate, whatever you want!

My favorite international fact is that the word sorority was coined for us - I think that's awesome!

My favorite fact about my collegiate chapter (Gamma Omega) is that we were local for 102 years before receiving a Gamma Phi Beta charter, so we're technically older than Alpha!

ASUGPhiB
07-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

My favorite fact about my collegiate chapter (Gamma Omega) is that we were local for 102 years before receiving a Gamma Phi Beta charter, so we're technically older than Alpha!

That is a cool one!

My favorite international fact is our open motto "Founded upon a rock." It is far better then anyone else's i have heard. It just shows how stong a unit Gamma Phi Beta is. Ever lasting.

Nothing unusual about the collegiate chapter (Beta kappa and Arizona State). We did how ever make quote +1 for the first anyone can remember in a long time.

Cluey
07-26-2003, 03:55 AM
I think I have to go with the objective of Gamma Phi Beta...

To promote the highest type of womanhood through education, social life, and service to country and humanity.

I really like the message that we are to be well-rounded women of purpose.

~ Annie :)

gphiangel624
07-28-2003, 01:06 AM
I would have to go with GeekyPenguin with the fact the the term "sorority" was coined for Gamma Phi Beta. Two years ago when one of our members was installed as a Panhellenic officer and a lot of our members attended, I started laughing when our PH officer mouthed "sorority" every time the term "women's fraternity" was used in the installment speeches. I still think about that when reading NPC material that states "women's fraternity"- Because Gamma Phi isn't! :D

As for local, I think my favorite fact is that our chapter is one of the first three (who all colonized at the same time) at UCR and is one of the two which have survived since colonization in the 70s- Kappa is the other and both of our chapters are typically considered the strongest on campus. Not to mention, our members usually have very close ties with Kappa members and always have.

SmartBlondeGPhB
07-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Ok, I'm tired from driving back from Oregon but here's my favorite local fact (yah, I'll toot my AC's horn)..........

I was the first President of the Puget Sound Alumnae Chapter....

The Puget Sound Alumnae Chapter was the first AC to receive the (first) Excellence in Website Development Award at the 2002 Convention........

I've always liked the story behind the open motto......

GPhiSweetiePie
08-03-2003, 02:33 AM
My fave about my chapter is that we're the only house on campus with house parents , not just a house mom. They're a lovely older couple and we just love them!! Just like an extra set of grandparents! Our "Dad" does all the handywork around the house and both parents do our cooking (which is great) and they used to own a bakery...needless to say our desserts are AWESOME!! :D

SmartBlondeGPhB
08-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by GPhiSweetiePie
My fave about my chapter is that we're the only house on campus with house parents , not just a house mom. They're a lovely older couple and we just love them!! Just like an extra set of grandparents! Our "Dad" does all the handywork around the house and both parents do our cooking (which is great) and they used to own a bakery...needless to say our desserts are AWESOME!! :D

ROADTRIP time.................

GPhiBLtColonel
08-03-2003, 04:20 AM

Where are you?????????????????

GPhiSweetiePie
08-03-2003, 01:29 PM
LOL...@ Purdue...a bit far from most of you ladies, but hey, you're always welcome! ;)

SmartBlondeGPhB
08-03-2003, 10:04 PM
They ship fish overnight for the tourists, I'm sure I could find someone to ship the desserts..............LOL

Notice how it's the ALUMS who comment about the food. LOL

GeekyPenguin
08-04-2003, 12:11 AM
LOL...@ Purdue...a bit far from most of you ladies, but hey, you're always welcome! ;)

Oooh that's not too far from me! I met some of your sisters at RLC this spring!

And LOL @ SmartBlonde and the alums commenting about the food!

GPhiSweetiePie
08-04-2003, 12:55 AM
Ooh, that's exciting! Who'd you meet?

GeekyPenguin
08-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Ooh, that's exciting! Who'd you meet?

I honestly cannot remember off the top of my head - sorry! Too many Gamma Phis in one place!

oldfaithfulgphi
08-08-2003, 12:23 PM
I think my favortie fact about G Phi is the fact that one of the founders (I believe Frances E. Haven) was asked to join A Phi at Syracuse, but she respectfully declined the offer. She must have been lookng for something else, and when she couldn't find it, she helped to found Gamma Phi Beta! :)

GeekyPenguin
08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by oldfaithfulgphi
I think my favortie fact about G Phi is the fact that one of the founders (I believe Frances E. Haven) was asked to join A Phi at Syracuse, but she respectfully declined the offer. She must have been lookng for something else, and when she couldn't find it, she helped to found Gamma Phi Beta! :)

It was Helen and Frances - I keep the new history book right next to my computer because I'm trying to convince someone to look at us for AI. :)

flour_girl82
08-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I also agree with the top post, I love that we coined the word sorority. I also love our badge design (NPC Most Beautiful)

A local fact I love...I remember going through some REALLY old scrapbooks for the Alpha Alpha chapter and I just loved reading everything in them! The women put together beautiful pieces of history in those books...from the train tickets to conventions, dance cards at formals, pictures of our original chapter house, excited pictures of the Gamma Phi's first stove, newspaper clippings from the student papers about when initiation had taken place, or marriage announcements.

The history is rich and exciting to discover, it's neat to be a part of it all.