PDA

View Full Version : Official Symbols

SoCalGirl
07-22-2003, 01:22 AM
We know that the dove and heart are our official symbols and the violet is our official flower, though we do tend to use it as a symbol. Why, by heck;), is the snake not official!?! One of our nicknames is SnakeyK and almost every chapter uses the snake motif for sports and it's on our new member pin. So why or why isn't it official? From what I've gathered, Nationals even would like to gently discourage it. What is the deal???

I swear, if I had the energy,I'd push for it to be on the agenda at the next convention!

SigkapAlumWSU
07-22-2003, 02:03 AM
You know, I've often wondered that myself. As much as I love our Heart and dove, the snake makes a lot of sense. Well, it all does, really. I think it's because if we added a third symbol, we'd have two animals. We'd either have to replace the dove with the snake, or just start over. But a good question to ask directly to NHQ.

sueali
07-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Our chapter has never really used the snake as a symbol for anything.

Aquastar
07-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sueali
Our chapter has never really used the snake as a symbol for anything.

neither has our :shrugs:

<3

Colleenie
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
The snake can be viewed by some as a negative symbol (think biblical). NHQ wouldn't want us associated with something people might consider negative. Just a possible reason. It doesn't bother me either way. :)

DigitalAngel126
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Hmmm I've always adored the snake. We were 'baby snakes' when we were pledges...And it IS on our pledge pin...I don't know why it'd be negative - - I mean heck, there are multiple GLO's with a skull and crossbones as one of their symbols!!!

SigkapAlumWSU
07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
We used baby snakes this last year as well! Everyone loved being Snakey K's. During work week, we had it printed on our work week T-shirts and everyone was asking what it meant, and thought it was very cute. At our campus, we obviously hadn't been known as Snakey K's, but I think that it could really make a comeback. It's all about the marketing!

SigmaKristy
07-27-2003, 06:18 PM
That's sooo cute about the baby snakes!
But this thing about the battle of the animals to be a symbol is too scary! The snake could eat the dove! EEEKKKK!!!!
But I think the snake is a great symbol, whether it's offical or not, if it's big for your chapter, than that's awesome, and it's something unique to your chapter, and becomes a special bond.
But I love the baby snakes it's soo cute!

PSUSigKap
07-28-2003, 02:56 AM
hijack!

welcome to the board kristy!!! it's always great to see a new face! ;)

now back to the originally scheduled thread:

i think the snake would be a cool official symbol. snakes are a little stronger than doves, not that doves are wussy, but a snake would be nice to use more often.

alphaiota
08-01-2003, 10:51 AM
can we please not talk about eating doves! i about shot pepsi out my nose laughing when i read that. (refer to my post about eating a dove. i do believe one of the sisters asked me about that over pm)

shelley j
sigma k