PDA

View Full Version : Can you be in 2 sororities?

GAOgirl
05-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I am curious to know.

RockChalk
05-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Well, that depends on what type of sorority you're talking about. Can you be in two social sororities? No. Can you be in a social sorority and a professional sorority, or a social sorority and a service sorority? Sure.

GAOgirl
05-20-2003, 09:12 PM
The sorority that I am in right now is a service sorority. This sorority is not part of the National Panhellenic Council.

If I join a social sorority, I am worried about what my sisters in my sorority would think?:rolleyes:

RockChalk
05-20-2003, 09:14 PM
In that case, you're eligible to join an NPC. :) Are you rushing this fall?

GAOgirl
05-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Possibly but would my sisters in my current sorority like this?

texas*princess
05-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by GAOgirl
The sorority that I am in right now is a service sorority. This sorority is not part of the National Panhellenic Council.

If I join a social sorority, I am worried about what my sisters in my sorority would think?:rolleyes:

I think it's great that you are in a service sorority and even greater you may consider rushing.

IMO, if your current sisters think of you any differently if you decide to rush and join an NPC sorority, well... that's not very.. 'sisterly' if they just change their opinion of you because you want to experience another type of greek letter organization.

that's just my opinion though.

edited to add: If they are maybe worried that you will not put any effort into your current GLO if you recieve and accept a bid from an NPC sorority, I can assure you it is possible! Many NPC/IFC/NPHC greeks are also members of professional and service fraternities/sororities.

GAOgirl
05-20-2003, 09:32 PM
[/QUOTE] Many NPC/IFC/NPHC greeks are also members of professional and service fraternities/sororities. [/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't know that.

Thank you RockChalk and texas*princess for your replies. I appreciate it.

Senusret I
05-20-2003, 09:40 PM
I say ask GAO's founders whether they founded the sorority with the intention of dual-membership.

Glitter650
05-20-2003, 09:54 PM
It is definitely not against the rules to belong to an NPC and a service org. One thing to consider however and the only thing that may keep your other sisters from being supportive is how time consuming is your service org ? Honestly NPC sororities generally take up a good amount of time and if you aren't going to have enough time to dedicate to each I say choose one over the other, if your service org just meets once a week and has events everyonce in a while.. then by all means go for it and your sisters should have no problem with you joining an NPC. :D

MTSUGURL
05-20-2003, 09:55 PM
In my experience of being in a service sorority that said you COULD be in 2,
YES it will bother them. You cannot have equal loyalty, nor can you meet enough time requirements to be in both and have both orgs happy with you as a member. You cannot get as much from 2 sororities at the same time that you can with one because you cannot put your whole heart into 2 sororities at once. When my service org heard that I wanted to rush for the NPC groups, they didn't talk to me for 2 weeks. This along with other reasons led me to disassociate. There are groups that make dual membership easier, and there are some in which it doesn't hurt a thing. I know several NPC alum that are in Beta Sigma Phi as well.

nauadpi
05-20-2003, 10:05 PM
On what campus are you a GAO?...because I know on my campus the chapter is trying to be recognized by our Panhell to be a multicultral sorority...if they do get recognized then there members cannot be members of any other social sorority on campus.

GAOgirl
05-20-2003, 10:09 PM
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Theta Chapter

AUDeltaGam
05-20-2003, 10:14 PM
I am a member of Delta Gamma Social Sorority and Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. Although my heart is more in DG than PSP, I am active in both. I also know of a Sigma Kappa, a few AGDs and Kappas in PSP too, so it's possible!

Good Luck!

texas*princess
05-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by nauadpi
On what campus are you a GAO?...because I know on my campus the chapter is trying to be recognized by our Panhell to be a multicultral sorority...if they do get recognized then there members cannot be members of any other social sorority on campus.

Just wondering.. is it possible for GAO be recognized by Panhell on one campus as a multicultural sorority, and as a service sorority on another campus?

LeslieAGD
05-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Possibly but would my sisters in my current sorority like this?

Congratulations on your (possible) decision to rush. IMO, I would let your sisters know that you are interested in membership in a social GLO. Explain that it doesn't take anything away from how you feel about them or your current organization, but that it's something that you are curious about and you would like their support. Will they like it? Ehh, not an easy question to answer when you don't know the people involved. However, if you're straight with them, I think they would be more receptive because you're being open about it.

AXWhoah
05-20-2003, 10:31 PM
On my campus Gamma Alpha Omega is recognized by our local Panhellenic and though they are service based they are similar to the NPHC orgs in that they are meant act like the NPC and be single membership.

tnxbutterfly
05-21-2003, 12:05 AM

You also might check your org's constitution and by-laws to see if it is possible for you to join a social sorority.

texas*princess
05-21-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by tnxbutterfly
You also might check your org's constitution and by-laws to see if it is possible for you to join a social sorority.

Excellent suggestion tnxbutterfly!

White_Chocolate
05-21-2003, 02:09 PM
i think that there are some multi-cultural sororities that forbid membership in an NPC and a multicultural. i found this out from my sister's friend who was going to be a theta but she found out that it was a sisterhood like NPC. so, instead of joining theta, she went ahead and became a chi o.

GeekyPenguin
05-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Oshkosh Panhellenic (http://www.uwosh.edu/panhellenic/)

This is the UW-Oshkosh Panhell site. GAO is not a member of the local panhell, so you can probably join an NPC group as long as your GAO chapter does not prohibit it.

However, it does look like GAO is considering joining Panhell, so then you would probably not be able to. You could ask your Greek advisor or the Panhell president for more info.

RubberSoul
05-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Well I know you aren't supposed to be able to do it but it does happen (2 NPCs.) There was a girl at Kent who had initially started college elsewhere. She had pledged DZ and been initiated, but then transferred. (I believe that she was still a freshman by credit when she transferred.) She got to Kent and thought she was too good for the DZ chapter, so she pretended that she had never gone through and signed up for formal rush. She ended up pledging Alpha Phi and got initiated there too. I don't understand why she never got booted out because I know that there had to be DZs who knew about it. It wouldn't have been too hard to verify. But she went through all 4 years then as an Alpha Phi and graduated.....I don't know if she holds alumna status or not, maybe she has been busted.

sarahgrace
05-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Obviously different people will have different opinions on this subject. I'd just like to throw in my experience, I'm a member of Sigma Alpha Iota (professional music sorority) and Kappa Alpha Theta ('social' sorority) and it's been fine. Everyone in each group is ok with it, no one gives me a hard time, and I have found that I have time to participate in each group as well as keep up with my school work.

Sarah

astroAPhi
05-21-2003, 09:13 PM
I guess one question you can ask yourself is would they be "upset" if you joined any other organization on campus? If not, then they really don't have the right to be angry or upset about it. One organization can't rule your life (and I've seen what happens when it does... not good).

My little sister was actually President of Alpha Phi Omega when she rushed Alpha Phi last semester. In the past, members who joined social GLOs after they joined A Phi O deactivated, so they didn't like people joining social orgs, but they didn't realize that it was because many people were dissatisfied with their A Phi O experience (which is actually why she rushed Alpha Phi). To be fair, I will note that my little sister didn't make the required number of hours, but she claims that she wouldn't have anyway.

I would at the very least check it out. If it's not for you, then no big deal, you still have your Gamma Alpha Omega sisters.

GeekyPenguin, what would happen if after she joined a NPC sorority GAO became NPC? Would she be forced to choose, or would they allow her dual membership as a grandfather clause? And is GAO trying to become NPC nationally, or just associate with that local Panhellenic? If they want to become nationally, that would be interesting, because I thought that the last org that joined was in the 50s.

GeekyPenguin
05-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by astroAPhi
GeekyPenguin, what would happen if after she joined a NPC sorority GAO became NPC? Would she be forced to choose, or would they allow her dual membership as a grandfather clause? And is GAO trying to become NPC nationally, or just associate with that local Panhellenic? If they want to become nationally, that would be interesting, because I thought that the last org that joined was in the 50s.

I believe they are just trying to join that local Panhellenic. I would assume she would be grandfathered, but I am not sure. I have met the Gamma Phi Panhell rep and she is very nice, so maybe GAOgirl could email her with questions? I don't think GAO is old enough/established enough for NPC, but I could be wrong.

White_Chocolate
05-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by RubberSoul
Well I know you aren't supposed to be able to do it but it does happen (2 NPCs.) There was a girl at Kent who had initially started college elsewhere. She had pledged DZ and been initiated, but then transferred. (I believe that she was still a freshman by credit when she transferred.) She got to Kent and thought she was too good for the DZ chapter, so she pretended that she had never gone through and signed up for formal rush. She ended up pledging Alpha Phi and got initiated there too. I don't understand why she never got booted out because I know that there had to be DZs who knew about it. It wouldn't have been too hard to verify. But she went through all 4 years then as an Alpha Phi and graduated.....I don't know if she holds alumna status or not, maybe she has been busted.

I would think that Panhell would have caught that. I don't think that she would have even been recognized as a member of Alpha Phi. Unless Alpha Phi's constitution allows girls from other NPCs join without considering their previous membership.

astroAPhi
05-27-2003, 02:04 PM
From what I know, that's a no, but I don't have our constitution memorized or in front of me either.

33girl
05-27-2003, 02:52 PM
No one initiated into ANY NPC group can ever join another one, period. That goes for all 26 of them. The only way would be if 2 of the present NPC groups merged...and I think when that happens you have to keep the group who was in NPC longer.

bruinaphi
05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Most likely neither the chapter nor Alpha Phi International knew that this woman had been initiated into DZ. Initiation into two NPC groups is not allowed by any NPC group as 33girl said.

LatinaAlumna
05-28-2003, 06:38 PM
AstroAphi wrote:

I would at the very least check it out. If it's not for you, then no big deal, you still have your Gamma Alpha Omega sisters.

Gamma Alpha Omega is an LGLO. I don't know of any LGLO that permits their members to join another sorority or fraternity, unless is is an honor society or community service-only organization. I could be wrong.

AstroAPhi: To be honest, your comments on your last post bother me. How would you feel if someone told you "If it's not for you, then no big deal, you still have your Alpha Phi sisters."? We don't "fall back" on our sororities if things don't work out with other groups, just as I'm sure you don't.

astroAPhi
05-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Well, first, by her earlier post, she indicated that GAO was a service sorority. If you read the rest of my post, you noticed that I told her about my little sister, who was also in a service organization, and was able to join a social sorority.

I meant in no way that a non-NPC or service org is a fallback. She seems to be intrigued by the social sorority aspect, which is why I told her to check it out. What I meant by "you have your GAO sisters" was that social sorority life may not be what she expects, in which case I assume she is still happy with GAO. I was not trying to assume she was unhappy with her service/Latina GLO.

I just encourage everyone who is interested to check out social sorority life because it has done so much for me. Some people like to have the 2 different aspects, others don't have the time or are uncomfortable with social orgs. It's a matter of taste.

GAOgirl and LatinaAlumna, I apolgize for the misunderstanding, as I meant no ill will towards your organizations.

LatinaAlumna
05-29-2003, 02:00 PM
AstroAphi, thanks for clarifying. :)

alpha1904
06-01-2003, 11:59 PM
At my school you can be in as many as you want.

AZpinkkittie
06-02-2003, 10:21 AM
blah blah blah