PDA

View Full Version : GLO Famous Members Urban Legends

Pages : [1] 2

breathesgelatin
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
The thread about Sarah Jessica Parker has inspired me!

Which celebrities do people say are in your GLO, that aren't really in your GLO?

For example, I've heard like a gajillion times that Cindy Crawford was a Pi Phi at a school in the midwest but dropped out of school before she initiated. I'm not buying it!

Interestingly, if you do a search for Cindy Crawford on our website you come up with an Ontario Beta that works for the Royal Bank of Canada!

texas*princess
05-16-2003, 02:56 PM
How about the one that every national fraternity/sorority had the rituals published and put in the Library of Congress, except for one, because President XXXXXXXX was a member of XYZ and took it out, or the President's wife was an ABC and he took it out.

12dn94dst
05-16-2003, 02:57 PM
some famous women who folks think are Deltas, but they're not:

Halle Berry
Oprah Winfrey
Condoleezza Rice
Maya Angelou (she's an AKA)

IowaHawkeye
05-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 12dn94dst
some famous women who folks think are Deltas, but they're not:

Condoleezza Rice

But Condoleezza is greek! she's an Alpha Chi Omega!

breathesgelatin
05-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by texas*princess
How about the one that every national fraternity/sorority had the rituals published and put in the Library of Congress, except for one, because President XXXXXXXX was a member of XYZ and took it out, or the President's wife was an ABC and he took it out.

Hahaahahahaha!!! I heard it was President Truman, whose daughter was a Pi Phi (not sure if that's even true)! I'm sure there's a variation with the Coolidges, too. (Mrs. Coolidge was a Pi Phi!)

Other Pi Phi rumors, compiled by me and my sister dubyuhnellpiphi (who barely posts):

Susan Sarandon
Susan Lucci
Elizabeth Shue
Jane Seymour (definately NOT American or Canadian! lol people!)

We're pretty much sure all those are false... hehehehe

XOMichelle
05-16-2003, 03:30 PM
It's on a million websites...
Heather Locklear is not a Chi Omega. Lucy Liu is though!
-M

ZTAngel
05-16-2003, 03:42 PM
These people have been listed on ZTA websites as being a one but it hasn't been confirmed by nationals whether these famous are one:

Faith Hill
Delta Burke
Tiffani-Amber Thiessen (I've read that she never went to college)
Jenny McCarthy

AchtungBaby80
05-16-2003, 03:52 PM
For some reason, my chapter was convinced that Courtney Cox was a DZ...we even had a rush skit one year that featured one of our members dressed up like her. She might be a member of another group, but I really don't think she's a Delta Zeta.

AlphaSigOU
05-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by breathesgelatin

'Cause she's British! :) And Jane Seymour's a stage name -- her birth name is Joyce Wilhelmina Frankenberg, OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire -- one step below knighthood.)

amycat412
05-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ZTAngel
These people have been listed on ZTA websites as being a one but it hasn't been confirmed by nationals whether these famous are one:

Faith Hill
Delta Burke
Jenny McCarthy

Isn't Delta Burke a Pi Phi?

Faith and Jenny also never went to college.

CutiePie2000
05-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by amycat412
Isn't Delta Burke a Pi Phi?

I think it was her character, Suzanne Sugarbaker who was a Pi Phi. Apparently she was a Pi Phi from Ole Miss (though I never watched the show).

Gonna do a search now, cuz I think I got that info off Greek Chat! :D
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=75837&highlight=Sugarbaker#post75837

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=16963&highlight=Sugarbaker#post16963

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=195570&highlight=Sugarbaker#post195570

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=223717&highlight=Sugarbaker#post223717

shadokat
05-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Bette Midler is NOT a D Phi E, although many claim she is. The woman went to college in hawaii, for like a year, and then came back to NYC. Sorry Deephers, but we still have no entertainers I'm aware of :) Maybe Cream can join the circus! ;)

sugar and spice
05-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Grace Kelly isn't a Tri Delt, although some websites may lead you to believe otherwise.

I've also heard the "Heather Locklear pledged Tri Delta but dropped out before initiation rumor," although most of the time she's associated with Chi Omega. (She's neither!)

CutiePie2000
05-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Grace Kelly isn't a Tri Delt, although some websites may lead you to believe otherwise.

I've also heard the "Heather Locklear pledged Tri Delta but dropped out before initiation rumor," although most of the time she's associated with Chi Omega. (She's neither!)

I have read in "From Here to Fraternity" that Farrah Fawcett (Heather Locklear's long lost twin) was a Tri Delta pledge but not intiaited. Maybe that's the urban legend??

Munchkin03
05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised some sorority somewhere hasn't listed Jackie Kennedy or Audrey Hepburn as members...:rolleyes:

Many of the celebrities commonly listed as famous members didn't even graduate from HS, let alone went through Rush. Delta Burke is Greek, I'm remembering Tri-Delt or Chi-O. Courtney Cox attended school up north to avoid the social pressure to join a sorority, being from Birmingham and all--I read this in an interview years ago.

Another very important reason why National Headquarters gives each chapter a list of information suitable for websites--you don't want false information going around!

Unregistered-
05-16-2003, 04:11 PM
The best AGD urban legend I've heard of was Madonna. I know she went to college in Michigan for a while, but I know she wasn't initiated!

There are also rumors about Carly Simon and Peri Gilpin being Alpha Gams, but I'm sure there's no truth in that.

Edited to add: Our IHQ website (http://www.alphagammadelta.org) has a special section on Accomplished Alpha Gams. I was the webmistress for my collegiate website and all the information I included was based on that.

ZTAngel
05-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Actually, I just read that Delta Burke never went to college. She won Miss Florida and then directly moved onto show business.

Peaches-n-Cream
05-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by shadokat
Bette Midler is NOT a D Phi E, although many claim she is. The woman went to college in hawaii, for like a year, and then came back to NYC. Sorry Deephers, but we still have no entertainers I'm aware of :) Maybe Cream can join the circus! ;)

I was thinking the same thing! I saw that Bette Midler was a 'sister' on a chapter website, but she has not been claimed by a specific chapter or International.

I'll be a famous D Phi E if I am selected to go on Jeopardy. (fingers crossed) :)

I heard that Farah Fawcett was in a sorority in college in Texas. The story was that she was so beautiful that the men lined up on fraternity row to ask her out. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I heard that it was Tri Delta. It might be an urban myth though.

Unregistered-
05-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Cream

I heard that Farah Fawcett was in a sorority in college in Texas. The story was that she was so beautiful that the men lined up on fraternity row to ask her out. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I heard that it was Tri Delta. It might be an urban myth though.

I remember seeing on E!'s Celebrity Profile that she did indeed initiate into Tri Delta. They even showed a picture of the house.

texas*princess
I always thought Delta Burke was a Tri-Delt... I vaguely remember seeing that info on a chapter website :confused:

33girl
Farrah was definitely associated w/ Tri Delta, as far as I know she initiated but she did leave school before she graduated to go to Hollywood.

xo_kathy
05-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Delta Burke is definitely not a Chi O. I've also seen a lot of chapter websites claiming Cybil Sheppard and Shelly Long? Never seen any proof of that from Nationals...:rolleyes:

JerzeeBoy26
05-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Cindy Crawford went to Northwestern for one year. she was in a sorority but I dont know which one. I know a lot of people that go there and confirmed this

Peaches-n-Cream
05-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
I remember seeing on E!'s Celebrity Profile that she did indeed initiate into Tri Delta. They even showed a picture of the house.

Maybe that's where I saw it.

I just remember wishing that men had lined up in college to ask me out on dates. :p

SATX*APhi
05-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JerzeeBoy26
Cindy Crawford went to Northwestern for one year. she was in a sorority but I dont know which one. I know a lot of people that go there and confirmed this
Some chapter sites for Pi Phi claim she's a member.

Texas-Gal
05-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
Farrah was definitely associated w/ Tri Delta, as far as I know she initiated but she did leave school before she graduated to go to Hollywood.
Farrah was indeed a Tri-Delt at UTexas, my alma mater, back before ΔΔΔ got their new house on West Campus. She was initiated, was voted one of the "10 Most Beautiful Women On Campus" - and left UT for Hollywood before graduating.

Texas-Gal
05-16-2003, 04:53 PM

Cindy Crawford did go to Northwestern. And the Northwestern PiPhi's (http://connect.to/panhel/) don't even list her on their own page.

It's possible it's because she's not an alum - because she never graduated.

vandy_violet
05-16-2003, 05:01 PM
I read one place that Supreme Court judge Sandra Day O'Connor was an ADPi, but that is the only time I've seen that listed...I know she's not a movie star or anything, but that would be pretty imp't., especially since she was one of the first(or first) female Supreme Court judges. I know some of the nationals sites have famous alumnae listings, why not all of them?
Kate

Oh, btw, Molly Sims was Tri-Delta at my school, and Amy Grant was a Theta. I'm not exactly sure if Molly graduated, though...
Also, I've also heard that Susan Lucci was a PiPhi.

carnation
05-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Hahaahahahaha!!! I heard it was President Truman, whose daughter was a Pi Phi (not sure if that's even true)! I'm sure there's a variation with the Coolidges, too. (Mrs. Coolidge was a Pi Phi!)

Other Pi Phi rumors, compiled by me and my sister dubyuhnellpiphi (who barely posts):

Susan Sarandon
Susan Lucci
Elizabeth Shue

Mary Margaret Truman was indeed a Pi Phi--a member of the now-defunct DC Alpha chapter! There have been several references to her in the Arrow and there was a song that I've heard several chapters sing about her--

Mary Margaret Truman was the daughter of the Prez!
She lives up in the White House with her father, Harry S!
But her ******* I forget this line, it rhymed with the next one*,
She's a Pi Beta Phiiiii,
In 1952 when good ol' Harry got the shoe,
Mary Margaret Truman didn't know just what to do!
She went back to Missouri to open a brewery
And drink to the Pi Beta Phi! MORE BEER!!!!

RedRoseSAI
05-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by amycat412
Faith and Jenny also never went to college.

Actually, I thought Jenny McCarthy went to Southern Illinois for a year or two. I could be wrong, though.

Peaches-n-Cream
05-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Fact: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg is an AEPhi.
Fact: Senator Barbara Boxer is a DPhiE.

Not too shabby! :)

astroAPhi
05-16-2003, 05:10 PM
For a long time my sisters told me Kelly Clarkson (American Idol) was an Alpha Phi. However I decided to research this online and I don't think she even went to college. Can anyone definitively confirm or deny this for me?

GMUBunny
05-16-2003, 05:13 PM
The only famous women confirmed by ZTA nationals to be sisters are on our website: http://www.zetataualpha.org/famous.htm *but realize the site is rarely updated and they do have a link for reporting known famous alumnae*

As for the 'saved by the bell' chick and the others, I'm assuming they aren't ZTA's. If you really wanna know that bad, call Indianapolis and find out :rolleyes:

AstroAPhi: I am pretty sure Kelly didn't go to college. She stated several times that she was just a waitress, but who knows.

FuzzieAlum
05-16-2003, 06:28 PM
I would guess that if anyone famous who is supposedly a member of a GLO is not listed on that GLO's list of famous members, they aren't a member. After all, why wouldn't they list them when they list other, less famous "famous" alums? They do have the resources to verify these things.

ilovemyglo
05-16-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
I have read in "From Here to Fraternity" that Farrah Fawcett (Heather Locklear's long lost twin) was a Tri Delta pledge but not intiaited. Maybe that's the urban legend??

THIS IS FACT!
I watched BIOGRAPHY on her one night and they talked about how all of the fraternities wanted to do mixers with Tri-Delt because she was there (she wasnt famous then just beautiful) and some of her pledge sisters were on there.

LeslieAGD
05-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
For some reason, my chapter was convinced that Courtney Cox was a DZ...

Really? I've always heard everyone say she's an Alpha Gam...she's not.

I've also heard it said that Raquel Welch is an Alpha Gam, but I'm pretty sure that's false too.

AlphaSigOU
05-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Really? I've always heard everyone say she's an Alpha Gam...she's not.

I've also heard it said that Raquel Welch is an Alpha Gam, but I'm pretty sure that's false too.

As far as I know, Raquel's an Alpha Gam (she probably was initiated under her maiden name, Raquel Tejada), but again, that may need to be verified by AGD HQ.

Ann-Margret I know for a fact that she's a Theta from Northwestern -- the Biography on her clearly shows her wearing a sweater with "KAPPA ALPHA THETA" on it.

Unregistered-
05-16-2003, 09:26 PM
According to the database, there is no "Raquel Tejada" ever initiated. She's not listed as an "Accomplished Alpha Gam" on the IHQ site under entertainers, so I'd presume that she's not a member.

maggieaxid
05-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Well AXiD has some few beauty queens and soap actresses. Lately the two most famous AXiD's are Jen from the most recent "The Batchelor" and Patsy Paugh Ramsey- JonBenet Ramsey's mom.

pandaMD
05-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by maggieaxid
Well AXiD has some few beauty queens and soap actresses. Lately the two most famous AXiD's are Jen from the most recent "The Batchelor" and Patsy Paugh Ramsey- JonBenet Ramsey's mom.

Patsy was an AXiD at my school, WVU...I believe her sister was as well!

AlphaSigOU
05-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
According to the database, there is no "Raquel Tejada" ever initiated. She's not listed as an "Accomplished Alpha Gam" on the IHQ site under entertainers, so I'd presume that she's not a member.

Thanks for the heads-up, OTW! Sometimes the BS from Hollywood publicists filters out into the real world... it may be also possible she was a pledge but never initiated. Those records don't go into that much detail, do they? :)

Unregistered-
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Thanks for the heads-up, OTW! Sometimes the BS from Hollywood publicists filters out into the real world... it may be also possible she was a pledge but never initiated. Those records don't go into that much detail, do they? :)

When filling out the profile, there's information that you can mark as private. Some people like to just include their email and keep their mailing address and phone numbers private. For each sister, though, it'll list what year they were initiated and what chapter they're from.

To view a list of AGD Entertainers, you can go here:

http://www.alphagammadelta.org/About_Us/Accomplished_Alpha_Gamms_In_Entertainment.asp

The complete list of Accomplished Alpha Gams is here:

http://www.alphagammadelta.org/About_Us/Accomplished_Alpha_Gams.asp

chitownxo
05-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Re: Jenny McCarthy -

She went to SIU Edwardsville for a year or two and studied nursing before she hit the big time. As far as I know she wasn't Greek.

slugraduate
05-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Actually, Jenny went to school for nursing at SIU Carbondale in the late 1980's.

IowaHawkeye
05-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by slugraduate
Actually, Jenny went to school for nursing at SIU Carbondale in the late 1980's.

Jenny graduated from my high school (it's a catholic all girls school - she caused an uproar) in 1990. She went to SIU the next year and then was playboys ms. october in 1993 and playmate of the year in 1994. She wasn't greek.

DZHBrown
05-17-2003, 12:58 AM
Some of the rumors of famous DZ's are Courteney Cox, Betty Crocker (who isn't a real person, but the president or founder of Betty Crocker was a DZ), Sharon Stone, Ann Rice, Betty White and some others. Of course, when you're a fairly new initiate, you don't KNOW to call HQ and get it verified. You just believe what you're told about your sorority, as dumb as that may sound. While I really hate seeing it on websites, I know I believed it at one time, as well.

exlurker
05-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by carnation
Mary Margaret Truman was indeed a Pi Phi--a member of the now-defunct DC Alpha chapter! There have been several references to her in the Arrow and there was a song that I've heard several chapters sing about her--

Mary Margaret Truman was the daughter of the Prez!
She lives up in the White House with her father, Harry S!
But her ******* I forget this line, it rhymed with the next one*,
She's a Pi Beta Phiiiii,
In 1952 when good ol' Harry got the shoe,
Mary Margaret Truman didn't know just what to do!
She went back to Missouri to open a brewery
And drink to the Pi Beta Phi! MORE BEER!!!!

Carnation, the missing line or lines -- at least the way I learned it (though obviously I'm not a PiPhi, and as I recall I first heard it from members of another sorority, not Pi Phis) -- went:
"But her social rating was not worth debating
For she was a member of Pi Beta Phiiiiii!"
Memories ... beer....

SmartBlondeGPhB
05-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Fact: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg is an AEPhi.
Fact: Senator Barbara Boxer is a DPhiE.

Not too shabby! :)

Another Fact: WA Congresswoman Jennifer Dunn is a GPhiB. She was honored at convention last summer in DC.

sirfidelgrl
05-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I'm surprised some sorority somewhere hasn't listed Jackie Kennedy or Audrey Hepburn as members...:rolleyes:

actually Jackie Kennedy really did pledge phi mu..

adpiucf
05-17-2003, 02:42 AM
The funniest one I have seen for ADPi is Meg Ryan. While I am sure we would love to claim her as a member, she is not one of ours.

AGDLynn
05-17-2003, 10:25 AM
http://www.greek101.com/new/lounge/grk_famous.stm

At first I read Orville Redenbacher was an AGD!! Then I reread and it said AGRho!

True or not, lol.

aephi alum
05-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by AGDLynn

At first I read Orville Redenbacher was an AGD!! Then I reread and it said AGRho!

True or not, lol.

Interesting. I had no idea Paul Simon was my sister...

:p

Kevin
05-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by AGDLynn

True or not, lol.

I've read several places that he was an AGR. Not surprising considering AGR is an ag fraternity.

Munchkin03
05-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by sirfidelgrl
actually Jackie Kennedy really did pledge phi mu..

Where, at her alma mater Vassar, which did not have a Greek system in the 1940s?

Lest we forget, she came from a social class---that for whom, sorority membership was an unneeded choice. Women of her social standing did not need the social or business connections that came with sorority membership, as those had been taken care generations before. Besides, in the biographies I have read of her, none has included sorority membership, and it's not mentioned on the Phi Mu site.

sailorpiphi
05-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by adpiucf
The funniest one I have seen for ADPi is Meg Ryan. While I am sure we would love to claim her as a member, she is not one of ours.

Its been debated whether or not she was a pi phi..... But i have only heard about it as a maybe on GC

MSKKG
05-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Sandra Day O'Connor is a Theta.

Delta Burke's co-star, Dixie Carter, is a Tri-Delt. Also, I saw somewhere that her other co-star, Jean Smart, is an ADPi. I loved that show! I don't know Delta Burke's affiliation, if any, but I thought I remembered that she didn't go to college.

Maybe some of these "legends" are honorary members (if that's still used) or alum initiates. I've been thinking it was strange that some GLOs all of a sudden listed a gazillion famous women who were never claimed before (and I'm talking from the 1950s!).

AlphaXi4983
05-17-2003, 01:14 PM
ok, this is from the official new member education booklet from alpha xi delta headquarters (spring 2002)

carol lawrence (actress,singer, dancer,maria in the original broadway cast of "west side story")

kim webster (actress, "the west wing" and the movie "the glass house")

jane henson (jim henson's wife)

gail kobe (actress, and former exec. producer of "guiding light")

megan blake (actress, appeared on "the young and the restless")

betsey johnson (fashion designer)

verna kay gibson (former president and CEO of the limited clothing stores)

plus many many government/military members, as well as pageant winners.

Betarulz!
05-17-2003, 02:12 PM
The biggest urban legend affiliation for fraternities is that of porn star Ron Jeremy...I've heard numerous chapters claim him as a member of their org, but never the inter/national organization.

douthit
05-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Betarulz!
The biggest urban legend affiliation for fraternities is that of porn star Ron Jeremy...I've heard numerous chapters claim him as a member of their org, but never the inter/national organization.

Ron Jeremy would be the kind of star that even if he legitimately was a member of a fraternity, the IHQ probably would not recognize it or play it up at all. For instance, Cheech Marin for years was not included in the list of entertainers that are Phi Sigs in our new member manual, Hills and a Star. But once the show Nash Bridges started to become popular, there was a cover story about him in our quarterly magazine, The Signet.

DeltaBetaBaby
05-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AlphaXi4983
ok, this is from the official new member education booklet from
jane henson (jim henson's wife)

I'm sorry, but I hate it when someone is considered famous because she has a famous husband.

DZHBrown
05-17-2003, 02:51 PM
The biggest urban legend affiliation for fraternities is that of porn star Ron Jeremy

Like douthit said, if it were true, I hope no one would ever claim him! That's just embarrassing to your letters.

fuzzie
05-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
I'm sorry, but I hate it when someone is considered famous because she has a famous husband.

I believe that she is considered famous because she helped him create at least a few, if not several of the muppet characters.

KillarneyRose
05-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Where, at her alma mater Vassar, which did not have a Greek system in the 1940s?

Didn't she actually graduate from GWU though? But, still, I have never read about her being greek.

GeekyPenguin
05-17-2003, 04:23 PM

Lest we forget, she came from a social class---that for whom, sorority membership was an unneeded choice. Women of her social standing did not need the social or business connections that came with sorority membership, as those had been taken care generations before. Besides, in the biographies I have read of her, none has included sorority membership, and it's not mentioned on the Phi Mu site.

http://www.lander.edu/activities/greeklife.html

That Phi Mu chapter claims she pledged...but that's about the only thing on the internet that I could find. I truly think if she had, Phi Mu would have made her an honorary member, or advertised on their national site that she was a member.

33girl
05-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
http://www.lander.edu/activities/greeklife.html

That Phi Mu chapter claims she pledged...but that's about the only thing on the internet that I could find. I truly think if she had, Phi Mu would have made her an honorary member, or advertised on their national site that she was a member.

I'm sure that Jackie Kennedy did pledge. However, I doubt that Jacqueline Bouvier (who then married John F Kennedy) did. It's all in how you say it people....

Peaches-n-Cream
05-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
I'm sure that Jackie Kennedy did pledge. However, I doubt that Jacqueline Bouvier (who then married John F Kennedy) did. It's all in how you say it people....

You just read my mind. I have many family members with the last name Kennedy, but not the same family.

She didn't graduate from Vassar, but from George Washington University as KillarneyRose mentioned.

Her son, John Kennedy, Jr. was Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity at Brown. As the son of a U.S. President, he most certainly didn't need the social or business connections that you mentioned. Sometimes people just want friends. :)

Munchkin03
05-17-2003, 06:15 PM

Her son, John Kennedy, Jr. was Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity at Brown.

Yes, I know he was a Phi Psi at Brown...the composite resides just down the hall from me. :p It's funny and his hair is big. Like, huge. Brown's Greek system, because it is so flexible, tends to attract the children of the super-rich. John D. Rockefeller Jr. was also a fraternity man here.

Thanks for the clarification, though! My point is that before people begin to add celebrities to their roll of brothers and sisters, some fact-checking should be done. :)

GMUBunny
05-17-2003, 06:23 PM
There is a whole thread on the Ron Jeremy thing in the TKE forum. A chapter out in california (don't feel like looking to find out exactly which one) 'initiated' him. From what has been said I think their HQ didn't accept the application for his membership, but I'll wait for a TKE in the know to confirm or deny that fact.

The1calledTKE
05-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Yes a chapter tried to make him an honorary, but IHQ said heck no. But many guys like to consider him one still, and apparently if u ask Ron he will tell u he was one to.

GMUBunny
05-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the confirmation zntke711. I knew he was 'supposedly' a TKE. The guys at GMU use it in their rush flyers to attract pnm's.

cash78mere
05-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby

i totally agree!

pinkyphimu
05-17-2003, 10:53 PM
isn't it possible that some celebrities don't want to be associated with their collegiate glo? there are plenty of people who drop off the planet after graduation....and i would guess that the national group needs to get some sort of permission to post thier names and bios on the national site. but this is just a guess.

SoCalGirl
05-18-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by zntke711
Yes a chapter tried to make him an honorary, but IHQ said heck no. But many guys like to consider him one still, and apparently if u ask Ron he will tell u he was one to.

He probably says he is one because, from what I remember from the previous thread about him, he was actually initiated by the San Diego State chapter prior to HQ denying membership.

The1calledTKE
05-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
He probably says he is one because, from what I remember from the previous thread about him, he was actually initiated by the San Diego State chapter prior to HQ denying membership.

Yah I figured as much he knows the whole deal since he has been through it all. I am not suprized the chapter waited til after the intiation to send it in. I know in most case chapters let IHQ know before they initiate an honorary member. I heard he is still close to the chapter and even donates money to them occasionally. But he has to know he isn't a recognized member since he never got a TKE badge.

nucutiepie
05-18-2003, 03:54 AM

im a pi phi at northwestern, the rumor is she was a pi phi here but didn't initiate. i should check our pledge book.

Optimist Prime
05-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Hootie
Wouldn't it be wonderful if celebrities just came out and said what GLO's they were in....

Like Sela Ward is very active in Chi Omega still and she comes out and says so. I like seeing famous people using their popularity to the GLO's advantage!

John Stewart (of the daily show) was not Theta Chi. He pledged Pike but quit. There was some one named Jon Stuart (or something liked that) who was a Theta Chi at the same Cindy Crawford was a little sister.

D.J. Skribble, according to his entourage member at spring break isn't either. OH well.

rushqueen44
05-19-2003, 02:04 PM

PiKA2001
05-20-2003, 01:46 PM
Ha Ha! One funny one I always hear is that Colonel Sanders from KFC was an honorary member of Pi Kappa Alpha. Another rumor I heard is that Steve the bouncer from the Jerry Springer show is a Pike!
BTW, Jon Stuart was actually initiated into pi kappa alpha.

PSUSigKap
05-20-2003, 01:53 PM
jon stuart was initiated into my uncle's chapter at william and mary like 2 years after my uncle graduated. he's gone to homecoming a couple of times so my aunt and uncle have met him!

phigamucsb
05-20-2003, 02:48 PM
how about Puck from the Real World being a FIJI. What a joke.

DeltAlum
05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if celebrities just came out and said what GLO's they were in....
Like Matthew McConaughey (sp?) wore a shirt with huge Delt letters in some kind of celebrity appearance (there was a thread on it somewhere) and has a number of Delts working for his production company.

Drew Carey is less outspoken, but has said hello to Delts in the audience on Who's Line Is It a couple of times.

bruinaphi
05-20-2003, 04:15 PM
The Alpha Phi website lists famous Phis here (http://www.alphaphi.org/about_alpha_phi/famousphis.html). An abbreviated list:

Maile Misajon (UCLA) Singer, actress. In female pop group Eden’s Crush and on Popstars television series. Has appeared in several commercials. Albums include Popstars, featuring the group’s hit single "Get Over Yourself" (see Fall 2001 Quarterly).

Jeri Ryan (Northwestern) Actress. Played Seven of Nine on Star Trek: Voyager. She joins the cast of Fox’s Boston Public this fall. Other television credits include Melrose Place, Matlock and Dark Skies. Films include Men Cry Bullets, The Last Man, Wes Craven Presents: Dracula 2000 and a cameo in Disney's The Kid.

Kimberly Williams (Northwestern) Actress. Movies: Father of the Bride, Father of the Bride: Part 2 and Indian Summer. Stage credits: Vagina Monologues. Television credits: Neil Simon's Jake's Women, Relativity, The 10th Kingdom miniseries and Hallmark commercials. She appears this fall on ABC®’s According to Jim (see Fall 2001 Quarterly).

Catherine Anaya (USC) Emmy Award®-winning television news anchor for KCBS-TV in Los Angeles (see Spring and Summer 2001 Quarterlies).

Ann Martin (Washington) Prime time news anchor and co-host of Woman 2 Woman, KCBS-TV, Los Angeles. Winner of three Emmy Awards®, two Golden Mike Awards and an award for best 30-minute news cast. Early in her career, first female to anchor the weekend news solo in Seattle, Wash. (see Spring 2001 Quarterly).

Dorothy Wright Nelson (UCLA) Senior judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, appointed in 1979 by President Jimmy Carter (senior judge since 1995). Former dean of the University of Southern California Law Center.

Susan Pierson Sonderby (Illinois) First woman appointed to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois. Elevated to chief judge (1998).

Marilyn Aboussie (Midwestern State) Chief Justice, Third Court of Appeals, Texas (since 1998), the state’s first woman justice (1986). First woman district judge in Tom Green County, Texas (1983-86).

JohnsDGsweethrt
05-20-2003, 04:17 PM
The girl who created the Daily Show on comedy central is a DG. I consider my Dad to be famous around Clemson and he is a Pi KA ! Alumnae initiate! We have several SNL graduates but like has been said I don't think they are still involved. I looked them up in our DG big alumnae book and couldn't find them.

White_Chocolate
05-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ZTAngel

Faith Hill
Delta Burke
Jenny McCarthy

i heard alyssa milano was a Zeta

bruinaphi
05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
He went to Wake Forest and said the Pi K As there used to hold up signs (1-10) and rate the girls as they walked by from the dining hall like the Olympics or something! What fun! lol

I don't think that's fun or funny. The fraternities at USC did that a couple of years ago to PNMs as they walked up and down the row during rush and PHC lost a lot of PNMs because of it. There was no system in place at the time to penalize them for it, but now they get rush infractions for saying anything to PNMs.

amycat412
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by lauradav
I don't think that's fun or funny. The fraternities at USC did that a couple of years ago to PNMs as they walked up and down the row during rush and PHC lost a lot of PNMs because of it. There was no system in place at the time to penalize them for it, but now they get rush infractions for saying anything to PNMs.

Yup, they did this when I was there too, it was AWFUL.

steelepike
05-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Ha Ha! One funny one I always hear is that Colonel Sanders from KFC was an honorary member of Pi Kappa Alpha. Another rumor I heard is that Steve the bouncer from the Jerry Springer show is a Pike!
BTW, Jon Stuart was actually initiated into pi kappa alpha.

Harland Sanders (colonel Sanders) was a PIKE and Steve never went to college i looked that up as well and Stuart yep though he disaffiliated.

steelepike
05-21-2003, 02:42 AM

Like Sela Ward is very active in Chi Omega still and she comes out and says so. I like seeing famous people using their popularity to the GLO's advantage!

Though me getting famous is a small possibility i will wear my letters proud. In fact i will have a flag flying The letters Pi K A at my house when i get old and i will be known in my neighborhood as the old guy who won't let go of his college years.

But on Faith Hill she is married to a Pike.

JohnsDGsweethrt
05-21-2003, 03:54 AM
lauradav,

i don't think they were doing it to pnm. just the other girls at the school. my dad always talked about it in a joking manner so i guess i never thought about it negatively. my mom would always take the long way around to avoid being rated. lol.
ps. sorry, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by bringing it up. i had no idea that happened at rush and it sucks how pnm dropped out

steelepike
05-21-2003, 05:31 AM
Well this is a new one but i heard from somewhere that the original drummer for Blink-182 was a Pi Kappa Phi but the again it was from heresay so its yet another urban legend.

Skeelicious1
05-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by phigamucsb
how about Puck from the Real World being a FIJI. What a joke.

I saw Puck with a FIJI shirt on in the RW/RR Battle of the Sexes. I don't think he is a member, but he had the shirt on.

Lindz928
05-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Jean Smart from Designing Women IS an ADPi. :) There are even a couple of episodes that she mentions ADPi. That's always exciting.
I also remember that the DZ chapter at my university used to have Courtney Cox listed as a famous alum... They've changed their website and don't have any listed anymore, but does anyone know for sure if she is a Delta Zeta or not?

Lindsey

orchid2
05-22-2003, 02:31 AM
I have heard that Julia Roberts is an honorary Phi Mu because of the movie "Steel Magnolias." Does anybody know if this is true... or is it just another greek urban legend?

AZpinkkittie
05-22-2003, 12:07 PM
For example, I've heard like a gajillion times that Cindy Crawford was a Pi Phi at a school in the midwest but dropped out of school before she initiated. I'm not buying it!

Interestingly, if you do a search for Cindy Crawford on our website you come up with an Ontario Beta that works for the Royal Bank of Canada!

So I just got my Greek Life Introduction mailer, and at the bottom of every page they have "famous greeks", male and female. So I'm flipping though and there waws Cindy Crawford. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. If only the writers had read this thread.

DZHBrown
05-22-2003, 09:12 PM
I also remember that the DZ chapter at my university used to have Courtney Cox listed as a famous alum... They've changed their website and don't have any listed anymore, but does anyone know for sure if she is a Delta Zeta or not?

Unfortunately, she's not! From what I've read, she went to Mount Vernon College for 1 year. As far as I know, we've never had a DZ chapter there, but I could be wrong!

smiley21
05-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by steelepike

But on Faith Hill she is married to a Pike.

tim mcgraw is a pike?

JerzeeBoy26
05-22-2003, 11:11 PM
I've heard rumors the last several years that tiger woods was a fraternity pledge at Stanford but never initiated. not sure what house. any cardinal out there that can clear this up ?

steelepike
05-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by smiley21
tim mcgraw is a pike?

Yes Tim McGraw is a PiKe. And we all like to referr to him as Brother Mcgraw. One of my brothers works at the Ford Center in oklahoma City and met him and talked to him a bit about his days a UL-Monroe.

AlphaGamJLo
05-23-2003, 01:45 AM
I've heard that Betty White (from the Golden Girls) was an Alpha Gam.....I don't see her listed on our official website, so I don't know if it's true or not....

queequek
05-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Skeelicious1
I saw Puck with a FIJI shirt on in the RW/RR Battle of the Sexes. I don't think he is a member, but he had the shirt on.

Fiji is also a famous country island of the Pacific, so it doesn't necessarily refers to Phi Gamma Delta.

DZHBrown
05-23-2003, 09:46 AM
I've heard that Betty White (from the Golden Girls) was an Alpha Gam

I've also heard she was a Delta Zeta! But I haven't seen any hard proof on that one, either.

LeslieAGD
05-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by AlphaGamJLo
I've heard that Betty White (from the Golden Girls) was an Alpha Gam....

She's not, but supposedly the character of Blanche on the Golden Girls mentioned being an Alpha Gam and going to sorority events. I don't watch the Golden Girls anymore, so you'd have to check with someone who watches the re-runs.

Munchkin03
05-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Mount Vernon College does not have a Greek system.

Because we're all (allegedly) sensible, college-educated (in whole or part) people here, here's a suggestion: Do not claim a member UNLESS you have proof (ie, International HQ website). That is all. No Betty Crockers, Courteney Coxes, or Jenny McCarthys, please! :p

LeslieAGD
05-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Do not claim a member UNLESS you have proof (ie, International HQ website).

That's why this the GLO Famous Members Urban Legends thread.

breathesgelatin
05-23-2003, 01:49 PM
That's why this the GLO Famous Members Urban Legends thread.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be missing the point. This thread is for those funny rumors about famous people who are not actually Greek or who don't even exist.

steelepike
05-23-2003, 02:22 PM
I heard that Napolean was a I Felta Thi

Peaches-n-Cream
05-23-2003, 03:39 PM
The guys on 90210 were KEGs.

Tappa Tappa Keg

Kristin AGD
05-23-2003, 03:56 PM
On the lifetime website profiles it states that Betty White did not attend college. She is so sweet, she would have been a great Alpha Gam. :)

AGDLynn
05-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Gloria Loring (whom most of y'all are too young to remember as being Liz on Days of our Lives) is an AGD. I think she was initiated as an alumna member. Maybe Betty White was too. If so, perhaps she is listed under her not-so-famous name.

breathesgelatin
05-23-2003, 10:26 PM
To repeat:

This thread is for urban legends!

This is about silly, false rumors. Not actual members of GLOs! ;):cool:

IheartAphi
05-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Jodie Sweeden (Full House, stephanie) is an alpha phi somewhere in CA-=- At least she was listed in our quartly magazine (I think)

AXWhoah
05-26-2003, 11:51 PM
She went to Chapman in Orange County. I just watched the Full House thing on E! but it didn't mention any membership in a sorority.

LeslieAGD
05-27-2003, 12:29 AM
To repeat:

This thread is for urban legends!

Repeat, Repeat ;)

breathesgelatin
05-27-2003, 02:54 AM
Repeat, Repeat ;)

Thanx Leslie AGD! You are my gal!

SoCalGirl
05-27-2003, 03:57 AM
Mrs Dr Seuss is NOT a Sigma Kappa!

I know a lot of people mentioned Cindy Crawford was rumored to be a Pi Phi pledge at Northwestern. I had always heard the urban legend that she was a Sigma Kappa at Michigan!

sugar and spice
05-27-2003, 04:14 AM
I decided to search the web for pages listing famous Tri Deltas. Here are some of those that various webpages are claiming even though the national webpage doesn't list them:

Heather Locklear
Mrs. Neil Armstrong
Grace Kelly
Liz Claiborne

SapphireSphinx9
05-27-2003, 06:54 AM
My uncle is a Delta Chi from Cal State Fullerton, and told me that Kevin Costner pledged a couple of semesters after he did. I looked it up on the Delta Chi website, and they do have him listed. I think it's pretty cool that my uncle knows Kevin Costner, and that they're brothers! :D

~Beth

bruinaphi
05-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by IheartAphi
Jodie Sweeden (Full House, stephanie) is an alpha phi somewhere in CA.

Jodie Sweeden pledged Alpha Phi at Chapman University several years ago but was never initiated into Alpha Phi.

Edited to add that it's always been my understanding that Heather Locklear was a member of the Tri-Delt chapter at UCLA. I don't think it's an urban legend b/c they have pix of her in their slideshow (or at least they did when I went through school).

ilovemyglo
05-27-2003, 03:08 PM
To clear up the Blanche/Rue Mclahanan being an ADGRPSE
She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta
In an interview she was asked:

Do you spend any time with your sorority sisters in Kappa Alpha Theta? Theta is VERY proud to have you as a member!

Rue McClanahan: I spend my social time, which is limited, with a couple of close friends, one or two, and my husband.

You can find this on Lifetime.com under interviews.

AXWhoah
05-27-2003, 05:09 PM
We went over this last summer when I looked it up. Neil Armstrongs first wife, who he was married to for 30 odd years (though she died a couple of years ago) was an Alpha Chi Omega and it is registered as such on our national website. He does have a new wife so maybe she's a Tri-Delta but the woman he was married to longest was an Alpha Chi. And the thing about Cindy Crawford at Michigan. She went to Northwestern for sure, I heard her say it in an interview.

sugar and spice
05-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by lauradav

Edited to add that it's always been my understanding that Heather Locklear was a member of the Tri-Delt chapter at UCLA. I don't think it's an urban legend b/c they have pix of her in their slideshow (or at least they did when I went through school).

I assumed that if she was actually a Tri Delt, they'd list her on the national website. Earlier in this thread, though, we discussed the possibility that she was a pledge (of either Tri Delt or Chi O) but never initiated. You do hear her linked with Tri Delta and Chi Omega a lot, but there's no real proof anywhere that she was actually initiated into either one.

DolphinChicaDDD
05-28-2003, 06:45 PM
So I just heard an urban legend today....

I don't know if Key Foods (the grocery store) is a national chain or whatever, but today someone at work today said they think the founder's wife was a Kappa Kappa Gamma. Though they couldn't name the guy, they were sure it was in honor of his wife. Since this just seems very strange, I doubt it can be true.

The things people come up with is bizzare sometimes...

DeltAlum
05-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Here's a TOTALLY unsubstantiated urban legend. Rumor had it on the Ohio University campus when I was there that there was a former Tri-Delt chapter sometime during the 40's or 50's that threw a nude party and was banished from campus until every member of that chapter is dead.

Talk about the death penalty! Remember, this was in a far more conservative time, sexually speaking, so I suppose it could be true.

breathesgelatin
05-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Speaking of the "they're thrown off campus until all their chapter alums die", we have that here at W&L about the Delts!

In 1995, the Delts took sledgehammers to their house and destroyed it (it was due for a renovation anyway, and that made them mad... or something). Supposedly they collapsed the whole third floor. I don't know about that, but it is substantiated that they at least knocked holes in the floor.:eek: Since the University owns GLO housing, they were kicked off campus pretty quick. And thus we have all sorts of crazy rumors about it.

DeltAlum
05-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Speaking of the "they're thrown off campus until all their chapter alums die", we have that here at W&L about the Delts!
Swell.

Just the kind of thing I like to hear. I'm going to see if I can find anything out about that since I didn't hear about it then!

Corbin Dallas
05-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by queequek
Fiji is also a famous country island of the Pacific, so it doesn't necessarily refers to Phi Gamma Delta.

I saw it too, and even though I know Fiji is an island, this was a purple shirt, with big white letters FIJI across the front, looked a lot like the shirts the FIJI's at my school wore...

GeekyPenguin
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas
I saw it too, and even though I know Fiji is an island, this was a purple shirt, with big white letters FIJI across the front, looked a lot like the shirts the FIJI's at my school wore...

Plus this one had something on the back, didn't it say "KGB" or something like that?

tunatartare
06-19-2003, 11:31 PM
I've heard people say say that Kristin Davis (Charlotte on Sex and the City) is a Kappa, but there isn't even a chapter at Rutgers where she went.

sugar and spice
06-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by DaisyKLP
I've heard people say say that Kristin Davis (Charlotte on Sex and the City) is a Kappa, but there isn't even a chapter at Rutgers where she went.

Wasn't there an episode of Sex and the City where she met up with her old KKG sorority sisters? I bet that's where this rumor got started.

GPhiBLtColonel
06-29-2003, 05:07 AM
Sandra Day O'Connor was only in an honorary legal fraternity/sorority but her mom was a Gamma Phi Beta.

Delta Burke pledged Zeta but was never initiated.

Candice Bergen was a Kappa but voluntarily deactivated partly due to too many demands for appearances etc from other Kappas (and that was told to me in mid-1908s by Kappa HQ!)

One source I use to check bios of some stars etc is the Internet Movie Data Base -- go to: www.imdb.com
(I can't seem to insert the site!)

Urban Greek legends I have seen on some Gamma Phi websites are that Kirstie Alley and Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) were Gamma Phis -- neither were.

One actual fact that I used to think was myth til I called DZ HQtrs myself to ask was that Crown Princess Margaret of Norway was a DZ!

kafromTN
06-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Either Puck or his brother [I think both] are Fiji's b/c he came to University of Memphis for something this past Spring and they almost got in a fight with the ATO's [FIJI & ATO are neighbors].

exlurker
06-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
. . . . One actual fact that I used to think was myth til I called DZ HQtrs myself to ask was that Crown Princess Margaret of Norway was a DZ!
And after World War II, one of DZ's philanthropic activities at that time -- baby supplies and infant clothing for European war orphans -- was conducted under the sponsorship of the Crown Princess.

GPhiBLtColonel
06-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by exlurker
And after World War II, one of DZ's philanthropic activities at that time -- baby supplies and infant clothing for European war orphans -- was conducted under the sponsorship of the Crown Princess.

That would explain the connection -- I just wonder excatly how her "pledge" training and initiation actually came about though -- any DZ's out there who can enlighten us???

OUlioness01
06-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Here's a TOTALLY unsubstantiated urban legend. Rumor had it on the Ohio University campus when I was there that there was a former Tri-Delt chapter sometime during the 40's or 50's that threw a nude party and was banished from campus until every member of that chapter is dead.

Talk about the death penalty! Remember, this was in a far more conservative time, sexually speaking, so I suppose it could be true.

DeltAlum that rumor is still rampant! We heard it from some of our alum (i think 80's era) just last year! Kinda funny since the only other rumor i've ever heard about a sorority not on our campus was that Tri-Delt was recolonizing....but i've been told there wasn't ever a Tri-Delt chapter on our campus.

DolphinChicaDDD
06-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by OUlioness01
DeltAlum that rumor is still rampant! We heard it from some of our alum (i think 80's era) just last year! Kinda funny since the only other rumor i've ever heard about a sorority not on our campus was that Tri-Delt was recolonizing....but i've been told there wasn't ever a Tri-Delt chapter on our campus.

Nope- never a Tri Delta chapter at Ohio University. There were a couple at Miama-Ohio and Ohio State a few other, but nothing about just plain ol' Ohio Univ. I'm guessing these are different. Our webpage has a list of everyschool that was ever chartered.

Just out of curoisity, has anyone else noticed that some GLO's have more 'urban legend' members? Any thoughts?

exlurker
07-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
That would explain the connection -- I just wonder excatly how her "pledge" training and initiation actually came about though -- any DZ's out there who can enlighten us???

Hey GPhiBLtColonel, I'm not a DZ, but their 1982 history says the Crown Princess was initiated in 1939 when she and the Crown Prince were guests at the U. of North Dakota on their tour of the western USA -- and stayed at the DZ house there (Upsilon chapter). The national president of DZ conducted the initiation. So apparently it was an AI of sorts. They do have a small black and white pic of the Prince and Princess on the chapter house steps; she is wearing an elaborate "traditional"-looking Norwegian-style highly ornamented outfit -- not really what the GC rush threads would be likely to recommend, even for Preference. The Prince is in black tie. No other details, sorry.

DeltAlum
07-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
Nope- never a Tri Delta chapter at Ohio University. There were a couple at Miama-Ohio and Ohio State a few other, but nothing about just plain ol' Ohio Univ. I'm guessing these are different. Our webpage has a list of everyschool that was ever chartered.
Oh, yes, there are big differences.

In a way, I'm happy to hear that this is a myth -- on the other hand, it sure messes up a great story!

pinkyphimu
07-01-2003, 03:13 AM
ok, i don't know if these are true or even what glo they are supposed to belong to, but i saw them on a web site and they really stood out to me as being urban ledgends...

elvis presley
florence henderson
robert reed
simon and garfunkle

ps i am too lazy to do the search to see if it is true

OUlioness01
07-01-2003, 08:00 AM
i remember florence henderson being in a glo from rush....i want to say she was a DZ?

Nikki_DZ
07-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Florence Henderson was an AI of the Alpha Chi chapter of Delta Zeta. She was choosen for all of her work with hearing impaired people.

SoCalGirl
07-08-2003, 04:44 AM
http://www.anapsid.org/aboutmk/seuss.html

I know I've always heard that Dr Seuss is a Sig Ep but I ran across this site that states: Despite the fact that he had made no overtures to any of the fraternities, Ted was nonetheless surprised to not be invited by any of them to pledge.

Then I went to Sig Ep National's (http://www.sigep.org/) and there's no listing of famous alumni. But the Dartmouth chapter (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sigep/) does list him as a famous alumni. (Seuss graduated from Dartmouth in 1925.) So does anyone know if he actually pledged as an undergrad or was possibly an honorary intiate later in life? I know that Sigma Kappa National has not been able to cofirm either of his wives were members but the rumors persist. Is it the same for him and Sig Ep?

BTW You've got to check out the Dartmouth page. Gotta love a fraternity that has no less than FOUR different animals on it's composite, two brothers in hats, two who didn't feel the need to wear a collared shirt for the picture, one in sunglasses (who is also one with a hat and w/o a collared shirt) and a brother who apparently felt the need to send a self portrait instead!

FAB*SpiceySpice
07-08-2003, 09:59 AM

BTW You've got to check out the Dartmouth page. Gotta love a fraternity that has no less than FOUR different animals on it's composite, two brothers in hats, two who didn't feel the need to wear a collared shirt for the picture, one in sunglasses (who is also one with a hat and w/o a collared shirt) and a brother who apparently felt the need to send a self portrait instead!

Hahaha that composite is the best!!! I love the guy who's wearing that hideous red suit jacket!!! Classic. :)

33girl
07-08-2003, 11:19 AM
That composite is MILD - check out this one for the coed fraternity Phi Tau.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~phitau/about/composites/99composite.jpg

mu_agd
07-08-2003, 11:23 AM
oh, wow....

GeekyPenguin
07-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice
Hahaha that composite is the best!!! I love the guy who's wearing that hideous red suit jacket!!! Classic. :)

I LOVE IT! I wish we could do fun composites instead of the drape - our SigEp chapter was insanely psycho about their composites - black jacket, white shirt, and they all wore the same red tie to make sure it matched. :rolleyes:

CutiePie2000
07-08-2003, 01:16 PM
If the cast of Monty Python joined a GLO, that would be it. LMAO.

GeekyPenguin
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
And back on the Dr. Seuss train...the composite distracted me...I am about 99% positive he was a brother because I remember reading about him in the Lifetime Responsibility of Brotherhood (LROB) which is the SigEp "book."

SigEp Famous Alumni (from their National site) (http://www3.sigep.org/about/alumni.asp)

He's there, about 10 people down.

Munchkin03
07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
All of our co-ed groups do a wacky composite like that.

SoCalGirl
07-08-2003, 07:31 PM
I don't know how I missed that page. No more late night posting for me I guess.

Peaches-n-Cream
07-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Those composites are cracking me up! lol!

GeekyPenguin
07-08-2003, 07:41 PM
I don't know how I missed that page. No more late night posting for me I guess.

They hide stuff on their page - I only remember seeing it before because I was looking up somebody else that I didn't believe was one of their alums. ;)

adpishan
07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
I have heard that Ellen from Road Rules (The Quest) is an ADPi. But I am not sure if it is true or not. If anyone knows...

phigamucsb
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
I heard that Benjamin Bratt was a Lambda Chi and Michael Douglas was a Sigma Pi at UCSB.

Unregistered-
07-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by adpishan
I have heard that Ellen from Road Rules (The Quest) is an ADPi. But I am not sure if it is true or not. If anyone knows...

Ellen was a member of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Iowa.

If anyone's interested... (http://www.uiowa.edu/~iowajour/reality.htm)

DGMarie
07-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Can anyone confirm that Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins was REALLY written for Disney's daughter (a purported Theta)? I ask bec I did a little research on this. Richard Rodgers (of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame) wrote the tune in 1964 for the movie, when Walt's daughter Diane would have been 30 years oldand adopted daughter Sharon would have been 27. There is no mention of either as an alumna on the Theta national site. And I'm wondering if it isn't just a coincidence or simply urban legend. Just curious.

phikappapsiman
07-09-2003, 02:42 AM
I've heard rumors the last several years that tiger woods was a fraternity pledge at Stanford but never initiated. not sure what house. any cardinal out there that can clear this up ?

Hey, sorry JerzeeBoy26, I just started reading this post and I saw your inquiry about Tiger Woods. Yeah, he did pledge Sigma Chi at Stanford, but I think that he left before initiation. However, Corey Savage ("Boy Meets World") did initiate, and I think is either a senior or just graduated. Fred Savage is a SAE from Stanford.

Another urban legend...Chelsea Clinton DID NOT join a sorority while she was at Stanford...:)

phikappapsiman
07-09-2003, 02:45 AM
OOPS... I meant Ben Savage, who played Corey on "Boy Meets World" (I never watched that show, but I did like the woman who played his girlfriend, Topanga!!!):D

GeekyPenguin
07-09-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by phikappapsiman
OOPS... I meant Ben Savage, who played Corey on "Boy Meets World" (I never watched that show, but I did like the woman who played his girlfriend, Topanga!!!):D

He was a hottie! send him my way! You can have Topanga. :)

ComradesTrue
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Bump.

The Farrah/Tri Delta thread made me think of this one. That debate still doesn't seem to be settled!

Please note that this is a thread for myths/urban legends. Please do not come here to post about people who are actually members (unless you are dispelling a rumor).

For instance: I have seen several Theta chapter websites claim that Betty Crocker is a member. Betty Crocker was a fictional character who happened to be voiced by Theta alumna Marjorie Child Husted (http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/learnabouttheta/whatistheta/notable_thetas.cfm?notableThetaId=48) as listed on our website. It would be like claiming Bugs Bunny was part of your organization simply because Mel Blanc was a member.

Since this hasn't been bumped in several years I suspect that there are many more to be added.

(I know that several GLOs have a thread dedicated to this in their specific forum. I liked how this one lumped everyone together. A one-stop-shop you might say.)

joliebelle
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Reese Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow are not Gamma Phis.

WinniBug
07-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I was told that Pam Anderson was an Alpha Sig

33girl
07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I was told that Pam Anderson was an Alpha Sig

There are actually two Pamela Andersons who are ASAs (I looked on SisterCircle). However, as they pledged in the early 1970s and the famous Pam was born in 1967, that pretty much negates that. I think this is the source of 90% of these mixups - a noncelebrity w/ the same name as a celebrity.

AOII Angel
07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes Tim McGraw is a PiKe. And we all like to referr to him as Brother Mcgraw. One of my brothers works at the Ford Center in oklahoma City and met him and talked to him a bit about his days a UL-Monroe.

Tim graduated from NLU a few years before I got there, and I doubt that he reminisces about good ole ULM since most alums will always call it NLU! If you watch his "Down on the Farm" video, you'll see the Pike fire engine with a bunch of the Pikes from NLU in the early 90's riding down a country road. He shot that video in his hometown...I think Start, LA. Anyway, he paid for the large deck on the back of the double wide trailer that Pike liked to call a house back then. I think they bought the KA or Kappa Sig house later.

As for fake AOII famous alums, I was told by so many people that Phyllis Diller and the lady that played Marcy on "Married with Children" were AOIIs. I think neither were...though I've never tried feeding Marcy's name into our database.

Addendum: I looked on IMdb and saw that Amanda Bearse, aka Marcy D'Arcy, went to a small liberal arts college, Young Harris College, which has no NPC groups. The rumor was that she joined AOII at Pi Chapter at Tulane. Another myth disproved!

Xidelt
07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Bump.

The Farrah/Tri Delta thread made me think of this one. That debate still doesn't seem to be settled!

Please note that this is a thread for myths/urban legends. Please do not come here to post about people who are actually members (unless you are dispelling a rumor).

For instance: I have seen several Theta chapter websites claim that Betty Crocker is a member. Betty Crocker was a fictional character who happened to be voiced by Theta alumna Marjorie Child Husted (http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/learnabouttheta/whatistheta/notable_thetas.cfm?notableThetaId=48) as listed on our website. It would be like claiming Bugs Bunny was part of your organization simply because Mel Blanc was a member.

Since this hasn't been bumped in several years I suspect that there are many more to be added.

(I know that several GLOs have a thread dedicated to this in their specific forum. I liked how this one lumped everyone together. A one-stop-shop you might say.)

Wait.

Betty Crocker is NOT a real person?

My world has been shattered.

:(

pshsx1
07-11-2009, 12:40 AM

SigEp will now claim the Cat in the Hat and every other Dr. Seuss character b/c he was a SigEp. :P

Welcome to the family, Sam I Am.

KSUViolet06
07-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Ladies and gentlemen.

Britney Spears is NOT in a sorority.

I don't care how much you love her.

I don't care whose cousin's sister's neighbor said that she went through recruitment at Ole Miss/LSU/Bama and pledged Kappa/Theta/Chi O/Tri Delta.

They're lying, because Britney never even went to college.

Britney is also not an "honorary" Chi O/Kappa/Theta.

If another person tries to tell me that she is, I will scream.

WinniBug
07-11-2009, 09:10 AM
There are actually two Pamela Andersons who are ASAs (I looked on SisterCircle). However, as they pledged in the early 1970s and the famous Pam was born in 1967, that pretty much negates that. I think this is the source of 90% of these mixups - a noncelebrity w/ the same name as a celebrity.

from reading this thread, i think that's where most these urban legends come from

Gusteau
07-11-2009, 09:13 AM
As much as I love Anthony Bourdain, he is not a Delta Chi.

So many chapter list him on their websites and recruitment videos. Gentlemen, by college you should know that Wikipedia is not a credible source. He's not listed on the HQ list of famous members. If that wasn't enough, wikipedia lists him as "NYU '74" he went to Vassar (which does not have Greek life).

HONKY660
07-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I heard that Benjamin Bratt was a Lambda Chi and Michael Douglas was a Sigma Pi at UCSB.

Not an urban legend, Benjamin Bratt is a Lambda Chi from UCSB.

MysticCat
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Ladies and gentlemen.

Britney Spears is NOT in a sorority.Consider me baffled that anyone would want to claim Brittany Spears as her sorority sister.

Deltasig89
07-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Ive heard repeatidly that Colbert from the Colbert report or w.e is a delta sig. NOT TRUE

DaffyKD
07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Once upon a time when I was in college, I was told that Betty Crocker was a KD. I was also told that Pat Nixon, wife of President Nixon was a KD. When Mrs. Nixon died, no mention was made of it in the sorority magazine, thus I learned another legend was urban! I was also told that Racque Welsh was an Alpha Phi pledge who was asked to leave. After reading this thread, seems Ms. Welsh is claimed by several houses.

DaffyKD

NutBrnHair
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
On the Chi Omega website is a comprehensive list of well-known Chi Omegas. For as long as I can remember, there have been urban legends and/or rumors that everyone from Barbara Eden to Faith Hill is a Chi Omega! Not true. I thought I would include some of my research on famous women who some think are our Sisters!

•Cybill Shepherd: Cybill Shepherd -- that is her real name. She first attended Hunter College (we did not have a chapter at Hunter when she was there) and after a couple of stints at schools where there has never been a Chi Omega chapter, she attended the University of Southern California. Alumnae who were involved during the early 1970s have no memory of her being a Chi Omega.

•Lauren Hutton Real name: Mary Laurence Hutton – one of the first students to attend the University of South Florida in 1960 (before Theta Theta Chapter was founded) and then she transferred to Tulane University and graduated in 1964 (never a member of Rho Chapter).

•Heather Locklear: Locklear attended UCLA, but was not a Chi Omega. Heather Thomas who starred with Lee Majors in the TV series “The Fall Guy” (1981-86)– was an initiate of Gamma Beta at UCLA.

•Lee Meriweather: Her real name is Lee Ann Meriwether and she attended City College of San Francisco. Chi Omega has never had a chapter there.

•Shelley Long: Born Shelley Lee Long, she studied drama at Northwestern University, but left before graduating. No record of her being an initiate of Xi Chapter.

33girl
07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
•Lauren Hutton Real name: Mary Laurence Hutton – one of the first students to attend the University of South Florida in 1960 (before Theta Theta Chapter was founded) and then she transferred to Tulane University and graduated in 1964 (never a member of Rho Chapter).

I know that this is saying that she wasn't a member - but just as a sidenote - in the book Model she says she got a modeling job because the person hiring her was impressed that she went to Sophie Newcomb. How did that work? Were the chapters actually at Sophie Newcomb or Tulane?

libelle
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I know that this is saying that she wasn't a member - but just as a sidenote - in the book Model she says she got a modeling job because the person hiring her was impressed that she went to Sophie Newcomb. How did that work? Were the chapters actually at Sophie Newcomb or Tulane?

The chapters were/are at the H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College of Tulane University. Non-Newcomb (Architecture and Engineering) female undergrads were able to join. [Although traditionally there are not many female students in those colleges.] B-school undergrads spend their 1st 2 years at Newcomb before transfering to b school so it was not an issue. Post Katrina renewal plan (reorganization), all undergraduates are members of Newcomb-Tulane Undergraduate College of Tulane U regardless of major.

honeychile
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Bump.

Wait.

Betty Crocker is NOT a real person?

My world has been shattered.

:(

From the Alpha Delta Pi International website:

"<> Agnes White Tizard, Sigma, Nutritionist; "Betty Crocker" authored Betty Crocker cookbook"

So, Agnes wrote the book, and Marjorie did the voice over? What a panhellenic collaboration!

KD4Me
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Once upon a time when I was in college, I was told that Betty Crocker was a KD. I was also told that Pat Nixon, wife of President Nixon was a KD. When Mrs. Nixon died, no mention was made of it in the sorority magazine, thus I learned another legend was urban! I was also told that Racque Welsh was an Alpha Phi pledge who was asked to leave. After reading this thread, seems Ms. Welsh is claimed by several houses.

DaffyKD

Up until reading this post, I had never heard an urban legend about anyone famous being a KD. I was starting to get a complex.

ThetaPrincess24
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Can anyone confirm that Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins was REALLY written for Disney's daughter (a purported Theta)? I ask bec I did a little research on this. Richard Rodgers (of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame) wrote the tune in 1964 for the movie, when Walt's daughter Diane would have been 30 years oldand adopted daughter Sharon would have been 27. There is no mention of either as an alumna on the Theta national site. And I'm wondering if it isn't just a coincidence or simply urban legend. Just curious.

I've heard this many times but havent heard it confirmed. I have also heard that Holly Hunter and Edie Brickell were Thetas.

I heard when I pledged that there were pansies on the original Budweiser label because the Budweiser daughters were Thetas. While there seem to be pansies on the label, I'm unsure of the Theta connection.

Shellfish
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
KD4Me, I heard a few years ago that Alison Moorer was a KD, but she's not on the national Web site. Oh, well.

klf3kids
07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
I posted the same information once before in a similar thread, so please bear with me if you have already seen it:

Re: Heather Locklear...she was often confused with Heather Thomas (probably best known for her role as "Jody" on the '80s T.V. series, "The Fall Guy," and for a very successful "pin-up girl" type poster that came out about the same time as the show I believe). Both "Heathers" were at UCLA when I attended the university in the mid-late 70's and the reason Heather Locklear is frequently and incorrectly referred to as a Chi Omega alumna.

Heather Thomas was in my fall 1975 Chi Omega pledge class and she was definitely initiated (as we all were) during UCLA's winter quarter 1976. Heather Locklear began her studies at UCLA when Heather Thomas and I were upper classmen if I remember correctly. Heather Locklear was on the cover of the UCLA Bruin "Bearwear" catalogue her freshman year, I think, and became a campus sensation (but Chi O Heather Thomas was quite the campus beauty as well!).

FYI: Heather Thomas was highlighted in the Eleusis a few months ago for publishing her first novel, "Trophies." She was also interviewed on "The Today Show," etc., about the book.

PhiMuMagnolia
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Susan Sarandon
Susan Lucci
Elizabeth Shue

Susan Sarandon attended the Catholic University of America, where there is one local sorority- Kappa Tau Gamma. Just to support the Pi Phi rumor :)

NutBrnHair
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Re: Heather Locklear...she was often confused with Heather Thomas.. Both "Heathers" were at UCLA when I attended the university in the mid-late 70's and the reason Heather Locklear is frequently and incorrectly referred to as a Chi Omega alumna.

I personally wouldn't want to claim anyone who dated David Spade anyway! LOL

luv n tpa
07-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't tell you how many TPA chapter websites claim Sarah Jessica Parker as a famous alum. She's not; I asked her myself when she was promoting her line at Steve & Barry's. She did say she was flattered, but embarrassed to admit she never went to college.

Penguin08
07-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I can't tell you how many TPA chapter websites claim Sarah Jessica Parker as a famous alum. She's not; I asked her myself when she was promoting her line at Steve & Barry's. She did say she was flattered, but embarrassed to admit she never went to college.

Yeah I've heard that too. It would've been cool though because we don't have any famous alums. :(

SWTXBelle
07-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah I've heard that too. It would've been cool though because we don't have any famous alums. :(

I've said it before - while it is kinda neat to have famous sisters, I am far more impressed by the unsung heroes of our GLOs, those who make a difference day in, day out in the lives of their colleges, their friends, their families, their communities. I've no doubt Theta Phi Alpha can claim MANY of these wonderful women. We may not know their names, but they are the heart and soul of the NPC - all of the member glos.

tld221
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
So I just heard an urban legend today....

I don't know if Key Foods (the grocery store) is a national chain or whatever, but today someone at work today said they think the founder's wife was a Kappa Kappa Gamma. Though they couldn't name the guy, they were sure it was in honor of his wife. Since this just seems very strange, I doubt it can be true.

The things people come up with is bizzare sometimes...

LOL we have Key Food here (NY/LI/Westchester/Duchess/NJ), hilarious. The ones here dont scream of anything related to the class that is sorority life.

LegallyBrunette
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Susan Sarandon attended the Catholic University of America, where there is one local sorority- Kappa Tau Gamma. Just to support the Pi Phi rumor :)

Actually, there was a chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Catholic while Susan Sarandon was a student there. She is not a member, however.

Although I totally agree with SWTXBelle's take on famous alums, check out the post I just made in the Theta Phi forum. It contains an updated list of notable alumnae.

sigmaceli
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Last year during my run as an LC for Tri Sigma, one of my fellow consultants told me that she had to burst an alumna's bubble and tell her that Olivia Newton-John was not a Tri Sigma. And the alumna was just not having it and didn't believe her!

We all got a kick out of it, especially because Olivia is Australian - and did not attend college here in the US where we have chapters. Even better, the alumna brought up an alumnae initiation in her defense. In all of our dreams, I guess.

KSUViolet06
07-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Last year during my run as an LC for Tri Sigma, one of my fellow consultants told me that she had to burst an alumna's bubble and tell her that Olivia Newton-John was not a Tri Sigma. And the alumna was just not having it and didn't believe her!

We all got a kick out of it, especially because Olivia is Australian - and did not attend college here in the US where we have chapters. Even better, the alumna brought up an alumnae initiation in her defense. In all of our dreams, I guess.

I've heard alot of famous alumna rumors, but this is one I have never heard! Hilarious.

I had someone once attempt to argue me down over Betty Crocker though.

I love how a fictional woman has been claimed as a member of like 10 sororities.

pshsx1
07-26-2009, 04:46 AM
So I heard Macaulay Culkin was a SigEp. What the heck? Did he even go to college?

33girl
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
So I heard Macaulay Culkin was a SigEp. What the heck? Did he even go to college?

IMO, that is someone trying to make a rude comment against SigEp, considering the whole MJ thing plus Party Monster. (Not that Party Monster isn't an awesome movie but I don't think most people would want the dude in their fraternity.)

ComradesTrue
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Bumping, because the Summer edition of the KAO magazine was just released and they debunk several myths that just won't die.

1. While Walt Disney's daughters were Thetas, he did not write Let's Go Fly a Kite for them.

2. The Kit-Kat bar was not named for Theta.

3. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the radio voice of the character Betty Crocker was a Theta, but any visual representation of the character was not a Theta.

4. Sandra Day O'Conner is not a Theta.

http://issuu.com/theta/docs/summer_2011_magazine See page 23.

IrishLake
07-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Bumping, because the Summer edition of the KAO magazine was just released and they debunk several myths that just won't die.

1. While Walt Disney's daughters were Thetas, he did not write Let's Go Fly a Kite for them.

3. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the radio voice of the character Betty Crocker was a Theta, but any visual representation of the character was not a Theta.

This same article made me think of how we were always told (by upperclass women) that the founder or inventor of Budweiser (or Anheuser-Busch or someone...) had daughters who were Theta's because so many of our symbols can be found on the label of Bud Light. :rolleyes:

LXA SE285
07-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Re: Susan Lucci and Pi Phi, I'm pretty sure her daughter, Liza Huber (Passions), was a Pi Phi at UNC Chapel Hill.

LaneSig
07-18-2011, 07:33 PM
ok, i don't know if these are true or even what glo they are supposed to belong to, but i saw them on a web site and they really stood out to me as being urban ledgends...

elvis presley
florence henderson
robert reed
simon and garfunkle

ps i am too lazy to do the search to see if it is true

I know this is from '03, but Elvis Presley is an alumni/honor initiate of Tau Kappa Epsilon. He was inducted by the chapter at Arkansas State University.

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkle are either Alpha Epsilon Pis or Zeta Beta Taus. I don't know if they were collegiate or alumni initiates.

As for current urban legends of Sigma Chi: Eddie Murphy and Daniel Tosh ARE NOT Sigs.

33girl
07-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Eddie Murphy? Seriously? A very young person who didn't see 18 year old Eddie on SNL must have started that one.

S & G are AEPi. Everything that comes up indicates they were members in college.

Drolefille
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Eddie Murphy? Seriously? A very young person who didn't see 18 year old Eddie on SNL must have started that one.

S & G are AEPi. Everything that comes up indicates they were members in college.

You realize that would have been '79/'80 right? Thirty year olds weren't alive then, and forty year olds would be forgiven for not watching SNL ages 10-15 or so.

(There are reruns, but just making the point that it's not a 'very young' thing.)

33girl
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Eddie Murphy started on the show in 1980. Every now 40-then 15 year old knew about him, trust me. If you didn't, you were kind of screwed socially...SNL was a HUGE deal (even after the original cast left).

and 30 year olds are very young. Just enjoy it. :)

Drolefille
07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Eddie Murphy started on the show in 1980. Every now 40-then 15 year old knew about him, trust me. If you didn't, you were kind of screwed socially...SNL was a HUGE deal (even after the original cast left).

and 30 year olds are very young. Just enjoy it. :)

Ah, I'm not 30, and it really isn't a compliment/insult thing. Just pointing out the illogic.

honeychile
07-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Sure you do! You have the co-host of the 700 Club & former Miss America - Terry Meeuwsen. I'm sure that there are more, but she immediately comes to mind.

lovespink88
07-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I heard somewhere that a contestant on "Rock of Love" was an Alpha Xi. Ick. I searched but couldn't find anything confirming...so I'm hoping that means that's not true.

preciousjeni
07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
and 30 year olds are very young.

Going to have to agree here. :p

SWTXBelle
07-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Walt Disney didn't even write the song - the Sherman brothers did!

HannahXO
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I've also heard that there are pansies all over Disney world because of the Theta connection

ThetaPrincess24
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I've also heard that there are pansies all over Disney world because of the Theta connection

I've never heard that one!

AOII Angel
07-19-2011, 02:53 PM
There are probably pansies all over Disney World because they are easy to grow and ubiquitous in the South.

HannahXO
07-19-2011, 06:31 PM
There are probably pansies all over Disney World because they are easy to grow and ubiquitous in the South.

Pshh, but that's not FUN. :)

AOII Angel
07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Pshh, but that's not FUN. :)
Of course, not! We always said the rose in Beauty and the Beast had no thorns was because the artist was an AOII. Completely unsupported by evidence. It made a good story, though!

KSUViolet06
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Another person who frequently causes me to burst collegian's bubbles and tell them she's not a Sigma: Sarah Jessica Parker.

I seriously think I've seen her claimed by half of the NPC groups at one point. She's a popular one. lol.

carnation
07-19-2011, 07:31 PM

They put them there in the cool weather because they can survive Florida's infrequent but real freezes. They take them out when the weather gets hot because pansies don't do well with that.

greekdee
07-19-2011, 09:39 PM
For years, I thought Marlo Thomas was Phi Mu. My own Phi Mu chapter was told this every year by whoever our Rush Chairman was at the time. This was 1977 -- 1981 when everyone knew who Marlo Thomas was. We proudly told PNM's that "That Girl" was our sister...too bad she wasn't! I later found out she was Theta (I think). We were also told that Barbra Streisand was Phi Mu and that Marie Osmond was an honorary Phi Mu at Bringham Young. I don't think either is true, but I sure believed it back in the day.

Jill1228
07-19-2011, 09:44 PM
For years, I thought Marlo Thomas was Phi Mu. My own Phi Mu chapter was told this every year by whoever our Rush Chairman was at the time. This was 1977 -- 1981 when everyone knew who Marlo Thomas was. We proudly told PNM's that "That Girl" was our sister...too bad she wasn't! I later found out she was Theta (I think). We were also told that Barbra Streisand was Phi Mu and that Marie Osmond was an honorary Phi Mu at Bringham Young. I don't think either is true, but I sure believed it back in the day.

Marlo Thomas is a Theta

Jill1228
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Re: Susan Lucci and Pi Phi, I'm pretty sure her daughter, Liza Huber (Passions), was a Pi Phi at UNC Chapel Hill.

Her daughter is a Chi Omega from UNC Chapel Hill

IrishLake
07-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Jill, you are on it!

I gotta toot a little bit...

There are so many stinkin "notable" Theta's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kappa_Alpha_Theta_sisters

MysticCat
07-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Marlo Thomas is a ThetaI always heard that's why she was flying a kite at the beginning of That Girl. Is that part urban legend?

I had such a crush on her in That Girl.

AlwaysSAI
07-20-2011, 12:32 AM
It is NOT an urban legend that Kenny Chesney joined and initiated into Lambda Chi Alpha.

However, every Lambda Chi I knew in college told me that he deactivated/cancelled his membership/whatever it's called in LXA. Yet, he is claimed on their national website.

Any LXAs confirm/deny?

greekdee
07-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Kenny Chesney went to East Tennessee State University, which is where I went, though Kenny was about 10 years after me. He did pledge Lambda Chi and get this -- my nephew was Sig Ep president the year Kenny rushed and they did not give him a bid! See, it can happen to anyone. :)

Kenny is listed on Lambda Chi's National website under Prominent Members. He also mentions Lambda Chi in the song "Keg in the Closet." It doesn't sound like he has left the organization, but hopefully a Lambda Chi can confirm.

Mooch279
07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Kenny Chesney went to East Tennessee State University, which is where I went, though Kenny was about 10 years after me. He did pledge Lambda Chi and get this -- my nephew was Sig Ep president the year Kenny rushed and they did not give him a bid! See, it can happen to anyone. :)

Kenny is listed on Lambda Chi's National website under Prominent Members. He also mentions Lambda Chi in the song "Keg in the Closet." It doesn't sound like he has left the organization, but hopefully a Lambda Chi can confirm.

Thats funny, there was a Sig Ep at my school who is Kenny Chesney cousin. I had always heard he left school and that he still owed some dues so he was on financial suspension. But he was on the cover of the cross and crescent about 5 years ago with a full interview so i guess everything is copacetic

AOII Angel
07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Thats funny, there was a Sig Ep at my school who is Kenny Chesney cousin. I had always heard he left school and that he still owed some dues so he was on financial suspension. But he was on the cover of the cross and crescent about 5 years ago with a full interview so i guess everything is copacetic

I guess he can afford to pay up now.:D

katydidKD
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Another person who frequently causes me to burst collegian's bubbles and tell them she's not a Sigma: Sarah Jessica Parker.

I seriously think I've seen her claimed by half of the NPC groups at one point. She's a popular one. lol.

But Carrie Underwood is, even wore her letters in the All-American Girl video, and IMHO is much cooler than SJP (blech)

AlwaysSAI
07-20-2011, 01:52 PM
If I remember correctly, Carrie Underwood was the Keynote Speaker at one of Sigma's conventions.

I like SJP.

HannahXO
07-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Huh, I always heard Carrie was a Tri-Delta, but apparently she is actually a Sigma. Cool!

KSUViolet06
07-20-2011, 02:12 PM
If I remember correctly, Carrie Underwood was the Keynote Speaker at one of Sigma's conventions.

Yep. She (who's from Alpha Iota at Northeastern State) was keynote speaker in 2007! She even stayed til 2 am to sign autographs for everyone. She also continues to be one of our most generous Foundation donors.

BluPhire
07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
While we have many an African President, Nelson Mandela is not one of us.

That was a big rumor before the internet.

Oh and Morris Chestnut isn't either.

ThetaPrincess24
07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Jill, you are on it!

I gotta toot a little bit...

There are so many stinkin "notable" Theta's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kappa_Alpha_Theta_sisters

I never heard that about Megyn Kelly. She did attend Syracuse though.

Senusret I
07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
While we have many an African President, Nelson Mandela is not one of us.

That was a big rumor before the internet.

Oh and Morris Chestnut isn't either.

He better be one by centennial! I can't deal with him not being a Sigma.

greekdee
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Country singer Luke Bryan was Sigma Chi at Georgia Southern, according to a couple of bio's I've read. One also said his wife was ADPi. I wonder if that's what inspired his song "Sorority Girls"???!!

AlwaysSAI
07-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I guess he can afford to pay up now.:D

/random thought
Sometimes I wonder if GLOs claim members that become famous even if they don't pay/weren't fabulous/don't donate as alumnae/whatever just so they can say that Suzy MovieStar is an EFG. Like, name dropping normal people do--but on the GLO scale.

I mean, is it really that easy? I'm delinquent on my collegiate dues and haven't paid the 4 semesters prior to my graduation. Do I really just pay up who knows how much later and POOF I'm in good standing and get to be on the cover of the magazine?
/end random thought

Anyway, I heard somewhere--I think it was a radio show--that Oprah was an AKA aspirant in college, but the chapter rejected her. After she became a super famous gazillionaire, AKA offered her membership and she declined. (I've never checked to see if the school Oprah went to had an AKA chapter, so it could be bogus.)

33girl
07-20-2011, 07:53 PM
/random thought
Sometimes I wonder if GLOs claim members that become famous even if they don't pay/weren't fabulous/don't donate as alumnae/whatever just so they can say that Suzy MovieStar is an EFG. Like, name dropping normal people do--but on the GLO scale.

I would wager if a GLO ran around saying "Barry Gibb* is an alumnus!!" but Barry Gibb was a real cheese dick in college and still owes his pledge brothers tons of money, those guys would have NO problem saying "yeah Barry Gibb was a brother, but he's a cheese dick and not welcome at the house at homecoming." I'm sure if a situation like that comes up, the GLO downplays the famous person's membership quickly and doesn't put them on the website.

The majority of NPC and NIC members don't donate as alums. That's not really a reason to not claim someone.

*listening to the Bee Gees and he was the first name that came to mind.

TSteven
07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Country singer Luke Bryan was Sigma Chi at Georgia Southern, according to a couple of bio's I've read. One also said his wife was ADPi. I wonder if that's what inspired his song "Sorority Girls"???!!

Luke Bryan is a Sigma Chi.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252657_10150199923052568_6357407567_7234379_325995 6_n.jpg

MysticCat
07-20-2011, 09:31 PM
/random thought

I mean, is it really that easy? I'm delinquent on my collegiate dues and haven't paid the 4 semesters prior to my graduation. Do I really just pay up who knows how much later and POOF I'm in good standing and get to be on the cover of the magazine?
/end random thoughtWell, I know that we have a procedure for paying up and being restored to good standing -- it's not just a "we'll make an exception for famous alum" situation.

One person who availed himself of it -- Bro. Ruben Studdard was initiated by our Omicron Delta chapter (Alabama A&M). From what I heard and read, it was indeed a case of him paying up when he was able.

AlwaysSAI
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
"yeah Barry Gibb was a brother, but he's a cheese dick and not welcome at the house at homecoming."

I love the way you say things. I wonder if we'd be BFF IRL.

One person who availed himself of it -- Bro. Ruben Studdard was initiated by our Omicron Delta chapter (Alabama A&M). From what I heard and read, it was indeed a case of him paying up when he was able.

Very neat. What ever happened to him. He put out....what, one single after winning idol. I heard he's been spending some time on Broadway.

/back to original topic

IrishLake
09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
New one to me! Robin McGraw, wife of Dr. Phil (not OUR GC DrPhil!) is an alumna initiate from the Omicron chapter at USC!

DeltaBetaBaby
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
The author of The Help is now being claimed by Phi Mu.

IrishLake
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM

The main character and her friends were Chi O's in the book.

als463
09-12-2011, 11:24 PM

She's been claimed a while ago. She's from our Alpha Zeta chapter at the University of Alabama. Skeeter, however, was a Chi Omega from Ole Miss. In fact, our Phi Mu page on Facebook has been updated continuously about Kathryn Stockett. I'm pretty sure it was her (or Dana Ivey-another Phi Mu who happened to be in the movie) that sent HQ tickets to the premiere.

honeychile
09-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I could name drop a movie star who I'm sure everyone here has seen, but there's some sort of question about her membership (not paid up, disaffiliated, lots of stories). I still see her name in a lot of chapter websites, though. And if it's a dues thing, then she should be ashamed of herself!

33girl
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I could name drop a movie star who I'm sure everyone here has seen, but there's some sort of question about her membership (not paid up, disaffiliated, lots of stories). I still see her name in a lot of chapter websites, though. And if it's a dues thing, then she should be ashamed of herself!

Unless she really doesn't care one way or the other.

honeychile
09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Unless she really doesn't care one way or the other.
Exactly. As I said, I don't know the real story about it, so what's to say what's in her mind.

33girl
09-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I have heard that Julia Roberts is an honorary Phi Mu because of the movie "Steel Magnolias." Does anybody know if this is true... or is it just another greek urban legend?

OK, I know that everyone knows that Susan Harling (the woman who Shelby in Steel Magnolias is based on) is a Phi Mu. But wasn't there a rumor going around that the composite you see in one scene was a Chi O composite? I just watched SM again the other day and unless someone had a theater size screen and was able to freeze it I don't know how they could tell.

NutBrnHair
09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
But wasn't there a rumor going around that the composite you see in one scene was a Chi O composite?

I met the Chi Omega whose family home in Natchitoches, LA was used in the movie. I met her quite a few years ago -- I think she went to Vanderbilt, but maybe the composite was from L.S.U.?

NutBrnHair
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM

The main character and her friends were Chi O's in the book.

Wonder why she didn't make them Phi Mus? If you are going to use the name of a real NPC group -- why not make it your own?

SoCalGirl
09-13-2011, 12:59 AM
OK, I know that everyone knows that Susan Harling (the woman who Shelby in Steel Magnolias is based on) is a Phi Mu. But wasn't there a rumor going around that the composite you see in one scene was a Chi O composite? I just watched SM again the other day and unless someone had a theater size screen and was able to freeze it I don't know how they could tell.

I remember catching that the last time I watched it, years ago. I think I posted about it at the time.

It's pretty easy to catch the differcence between them; when spelled out, 3 letters 5 letters versus 3 letter 2 letters.

Xidelt
09-13-2011, 05:31 AM
All I want to say is that my badge was designed by Tiffany's, was voted Most Beautiful, has gone to the moon, and is in the Smithsonian. Also, Betty Crocker was a founding member of Xi Delta's alpha chapter.
Thank you. That is all.

AOII Angel
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I remember catching that the last time I watched it, years ago. I think I posted about it at the time.

It's pretty easy to catch the differcence between them; when spelled out, 3 letters 5 letters versus 3 letter 2 letters.

Nah, it's a Phi Mu Composite. My mama has the Making of SM book, and I'm pretty sure you can see it in a picture.
There is also a picture of Julia Roberts with my old Surgery Dept Head, Dr. McDonald. He was Susan Harling's transplant surgeon, so they invited him down while they were shooting the movie to meet everyone. I knew a lot of people in S'port who knew her. Apparently her husband was a pediatrician, not a lawyer IRL, and married the mother of one of his patient's three months after her death. Yeah, Jackson wasn't as nice as in the movie.

joliebelle
09-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Heather McDonald of Chelsea Lately fame is a Gamma Phi Beta from USC

honeychile
09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Nah, it's a Phi Mu Composite. My mama has the Making of SM book, and I'm pretty sure you can see it in a picture.
There is also a picture of Julia Roberts with my old Surgery Dept Head, Dr. McDonald. He was Susan Harling's transplant surgeon, so they invited him down while they were shooting the movie to meet everyone. I knew a lot of people in S'port who knew her. Apparently her husband was a pediatrician, not a lawyer IRL, and married the mother of one of his patient's three months after her death. Yeah, Jackson wasn't as nice as in the movie.
Jackson doesn't come off as the husband of the year in the movie, either. Think of the scene when Shelby tells her mother that she's pregnant.

As for Betty Crocker, she is NOT a real person! Several women have either posed for her picture, several women have edited the cookbook. An ADPi was one, I think the first, but I'm not going to swear to it.

Another call for a Pi Beta Phi!!!!

IrishLake
09-14-2011, 09:38 PM
And a Theta was the voice of Betty Crocker on the radio for many years. :)

ladybug12
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
When I turned 50 a few years back, some of my wonderful Phi Mu friends took us on a trip to Natchitoches for a weekend. Shelby's house in the movie is now a wonderful bed and breakfast, and I stayed in her room with the pink tiled bathroom!

The owners of the B&B knew that we were all Phi Mus and knew Shelby's parents (not her real name). They dropped by on their way to church on Sunday morning before we left and took pictures with us. They were adorable, and spoke of how much their daughter loved being a Phi Mu.

It is a memory I will treasure forever.

BYW, Natchitoches is a very old town and worth a visit.

BetaIotaDZ
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
All I want to say is that my badge was designed by Tiffany's, was voted Most Beautiful, has gone to the moon, and is in the Smithsonian. Also, Betty Crocker was a founding member of Xi Delta's alpha chapter.
Thank you. That is all.

I don't know you but I almost think you were in my pledge class. However, I am in a different group and probably pledged in different era from you. We learned most of your favorite urban legends from our pledge trainer (wonderful PT but painfully the granddaughter of our first Lamp editor and one of our earliest historians). So, our PT told us that our badge was designed by Tiffany's, was voted Most Beautiful, and is in the Smithsonian. She didn't tell us about its going to the moon but the giant step for mankind had only happened a few months before I went away to college so maybe... Anyway we know there was a badge of another group that did go to the moon. Also our history clearly states that a classmate of our founders, Arthur Bainsfather, designed the badge and that our first jeweler was the Newman Company.

She didn't tell us that the trademark Betty Crocker was a DZ sister but I know we share that legend because a few months after my pledging Mercedes Bates, Chi chapter, was named Delta Zeta Woman of the Year. Mrs. Bates was General Mills executive vice president and was director of the Betty Crocker Kitchens beginning in 1964. The name Betty Crocker was first used in 1921 to make letters to customers seem more personal. The iconic face was added to packaging in the 1930s with several updates over the years. "I see her as a career woman," Bates said of the sixth version in 1980, "a professional, first and last."

I really came to this thread to share something that popped up from my homepage today. It is a TMZ bit about "Guess the Greek". Hope this link works: http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/gues_who_sorority_and_fraternity_and_college_and_f all#tab=most_recent