PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor's Hoods

Optimist Prime
05-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Does anybody know where I can get one? I know that most people don't wear them in the U.S. but I want regalia. I love ceremony. Pomp and ceremony.

sfasammy
05-12-2003, 06:11 PM
http://www.brownsgrad.com sells hoods.

Does your university allow Bachelor's candidates to wear hoods? If not, perhaps a stole would be a better idea. Try http://www.primeheritage.com for those.

If you were ever initiated into an honor society or student government, ask the president or advisor if they have honor cords available.

Optimist Prime
05-13-2003, 12:01 PM
thanks

lionlove
05-13-2003, 02:00 PM
My school uses hoods for bachelors degrees. Red and gray for BAs and red and yellow for BS'. Does your school have other traditions such as stoles or cords? Ask the PR office (or who ever is in charge of planning graduation at your school) where they order the gowns from and they may have hoods as well.

Munchkin03
05-13-2003, 02:06 PM
We don't do bachelor's hoods, stoles, or honour cords. The A.B/Sc.B candidates wear traditional black gowns; the master's candidates wear brown gowns with our seal in red (no hoods), and the PhD candidates are hooded during their ceremony.

Our academic procession is internationally known for its pomp and circumstance...it's a state law that the sheriff, mayor, and governor all have to be in our procession, and it takes hours! We do it at least twice a year--for Convocation and Commencement, and for special University events. It's amazing!

AchtungBaby80
05-13-2003, 02:35 PM
We didn't have hoods...those are for master's students. However, I did have my honor cords as well as the cords for my honor society...and, I got a medallion from the college for having a good GPA. I loved it...:)

MooseGirl
05-13-2003, 02:54 PM
At my uni everyone had hoods...rented from the U. Maybe the Ph.D students actually buy theirs, i dunno...
Any way I think there are around 10 dif colours depending on your major...mine was an ugly burnt gold type of colour...

I worked it a couple times so it was really cool marching in the procession and seeing all the profs dresed up...some had some really cool hoods, stoles, etc...

RockChalk
05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
My school does not allow undergrads to wear hoods at graduation. Those are only for people receiving a Ph.D (and maybe master's students too, I'm not sure).

CatStarESP4
05-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Typically the hoods are given to PhD candidates. I don't know how in works in other schools, but at my Alma Mater, the hoods are for PhD's only http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/jaybee.gif

OnePlus69Is70
05-13-2003, 03:46 PM
technically, if you want to where a hood, you have to wait until after you've received your diploma. The main graduation here doesn't use hoods (because there's usually about 6000 people in a class) but at the graduations for each academic college, or for department ceremonies, they will "hood" the graduates.

The colors and shapes of robes hoods are standardized across all US universities and colleges- if you know what you're doing, you can "read" a person's regalia and know where they graduated from, with what degree and major, and their honors status. It's all here: http://www.acenet.edu/faq/costume_code.html

Optimist Prime
05-13-2003, 04:53 PM
wow...I'll have to ask my advisor, he'd know. There is alot of stuff. :)

FuzzieAlum
05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the nifty link, OnePlus.

FeeFee
05-13-2003, 05:25 PM
At my school, everyone wore a hood for graduation. They come in different colors, depending on what degree you are receiving. I was a Business major, so my hood was Brown (yuk!). I left my graduation gown and hood at my mom's house when I moved out.

Jadey28
05-13-2003, 06:52 PM
I graduated from a small private college, and we all wore hoods. Undergraduates receiving their bachelor's of science degree wear a hood that is black, greean and gold trim, with a white stripe going across the hood. Undergraduates receiving their bachelor's of art degree wear the same type of hood, but the stripe is green. Our faculty is encouraged to wear their actual attire they wore upon receiving their diploma(s). The length of their hoods and the different colors signifies their degrees and duration in school. It was really neat to see all of that during the ceremony.

Also, different honor groups wear different stoles and cords also. I was lucky to wear cords in the colors of Phi Sigma Sigma :D

Congrats to the graduates. Best wishes in the future.

Jadey

KSigkid
05-21-2003, 07:43 PM
At my school, it was all grad degree candidates who got hoods I believe.

I know my girlfriend did for getting her Master's...and I think that the Doctoral and Law grads got them as well.

Undergrads just got the cap and robe, unless they had a chord/paraphenalia from an honors org (like Phi Beta Kappa or Order of Omega)

Cluey
05-21-2003, 08:06 PM
We wore hoods and our professors also dressed up in academic regalia.

Our BA graduates wore a hood that was white on one side and red and black on the other. Our BS graduates (like me) wore a hood that was gold on one side and red and black on the other.

Typically, the solid color denotes what field in which you are receiving your degree. The other colors on the hood are where you earned your degree, though it is not as easy to tell some schools apart.

For a list of colors, click here (http://www.robeshop.com/regalia.htm).

I, too, love academic regalia. I am trying to get my high school to go to full academic regalia for graduation, but I am meeting resistance.

Hope this helps! :)

astroAPhi
06-01-2003, 04:11 PM
They only do hoods for Masters and PhD's at Florida Tech, but they do it all screwy.

The hood color for Engineering is orange, but we get yellow for Science. When I asked why, someone told me it was because they get their M.S., not something like a Masters of Engineering. But people who major in Science Education get the blue ones and they don't have a Masters of Education, they have a M.S.!

Well I won't be continuing in Engineering at first anyway. I get wonderful "drab" for Space Systems. :(

kappaloo
06-15-2003, 10:49 PM
At my university you are given your hood during the Convocation (Graduation) ceremony.

ZTAMich
06-15-2003, 11:13 PM
my college had them for BA and BS degrees and I was just tickled pink to get one last month!

carnation
06-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Says the voice of experience: you guys had better think twice about hoods if you're going to be outside or in a hot environment. That velvet and satin is suffocating. Look closely after a graduation: we profs will be dashing to a cool spot and ripping off the regalia!

Munchkin03
06-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by carnation
Says the voice of experience: you guys had better think twice about hoods if you're going to be outside or in a hot environment. That velvet and satin is suffocating. Look closely after a graduation: we profs will be dashing to a cool spot and ripping off the regalia!

LOL! Our graduation wasn't hot--it was wet and cold! At my department ceremony afterwards, the professors explained that half had taken off their regalia because it got soaked in the rain! I still think academic regalia is beautiful, though--maybe an incentive for me to get my PhD? ;)