PDA

View Full Version : God Bless America...not!

Discogoddess
03-17-2000, 10:44 AM
Sorors and Sisterfriends:

Please take time to check out this collection of photographs and postcards (yes, postcards!) of lynchings that have taken place in America. It's very disturbing, yet a critical part of the American consciousness. When I first saw lynching photos as a young girl, the thing that horrified me more than the broken, mutilated bodies hanging from trees were the smiling, degenerate faces of young boys and girls, and grown men and women. After viewing the collection, I am still horrified most by those ghoulish faces.

For those who say America has forgotten its racist past, I say look at these photos, read your newspaper (James Byrd, LaTanya Haggerty, Robert Russ, Amadou Diallo, etc.), look at who's rotting on death row, and reconsider.

Peace and love, all.

Discogoddess
http://www.journale.com/withoutsanctuary/main.html

------------------
In the end, we only hit what we aim at.

-Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited March 17, 2000).]

AKAtude
03-17-2000, 02:10 PM
Soror,

I checked the website and saw the pictures. I, too, remember seeing these types of pictures growing up. It is not that America has forgotten its past, some people will not acknowledge it and work towards healing the racial problems. I'm in South Carolina and the way our legislature is handling the whole confederate flag issue is ridiculous. And they say it is heritage, not hate. Give me a break.

LadyAKA
03-18-2000, 04:29 PM
Can't comment yet because I can't get the web page to load. I will check ack later.

Captivator#6
03-19-2000, 08:29 PM
I really cant say much....its all so sad..all the technology and advancement we have in this world has just served to make it easier for others to do these henious acts. They are just more sophisticated (and secretive) about doing them.