PDA

View Full Version : Habitat for Humanity

MSSTCY1
05-03-2003, 04:09 AM
We are thinking about trying to get involved with Habitat for humanity over the summer. Has anyone been involved with this before that could shed some light on the commitment involved and it works?

Dionysus
05-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Habitat for humanity is one of my favorite service projects. We do it every March at our school. HFH is basically a project were volunteers help to build or restore houses or businesses. The first time, we worked on building foundations for housings. The last time, we restored this old warehouse and turned it into the HFH headquaters for hour area. Wear old clothes and shoes and bring working gloves. As for committment it's usually an all day thing, bring your lunch. However, you're NOT required to stay all day. We usually work twice a week. They usually want to know who and how many is coming on which days and times. Many times we have had people who had signed up and didn't show and vice versa we had people show up who didn't sign up. They're pretty flexible, they won't sue or fine if you all had minor problems w/ committment.

DolphinChicaDDD
05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Habitat was our main project when we were a local, and now that we're national we call it our local philathrophy.

We do just about anything and everything for Habitat. Yeah, everyone wants to build the house, and we do that too. But what most people don't know, is the amount of fundraising that goes into to. We have organized, run, and volunteered for: golf tournaments, spagetti dinners, 5k runs, local fairs and carnivals, telethons in the mall, and the list goes on. In addition, we volunteer in the office to help mail letters, organize, answer phones. Basically, if Habitat need it done, we do it.

And I know that most offices need help year round, cause as I said before, EVERYBODY wants to actually be there building the houses, cause its the glamor event. But the help is still needed behind the scenes.

I highly recommend becoming invovled in Habitat. Hope this helps