PDA

View Full Version : Why are you proud to be a Beta?

Betarulz!
04-24-2003, 12:40 PM
In the spirit of the "why I love being a guy/girl" threads over in Chit Chat, why are you proud to be a Beta. The things can be specific to your chapter or to the Fraternity in general.

Some things that make me proud to be a Beta:

We have a kick ass mascot/symbol in the Dragon
Delicate Shades of Pink and Blue
The incredible genius of John Reily Knox "of ever honored memory" in establishing our principles
MOP initiative
Annual Conventions
Singing
That undergrads at the General Convention run our fraternity

Having the cleanest fraternity house at Nebraska
That we are the only house open for tours given to HS seniors on campus visit days
Our house GPA
Our campus involvement
Defending Back to Back homecoming champions

ZZ-kai-
04-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Awesome thread:

1. Alpha Sigma Chi and the Mystic Seven.
2. William Raimond Baird and Francis Shepardson.
3. The Alleghenies.
4. More firsts than ANY other fraternity.
5. Domination in the Forbes 500.
6. Networking within her domain.
7. For myself being a M.o.P. and the Initiative that drives me.
8. The best A.O. staff in the nation.
9. Dragon - everyone’s got teddy bears and lions, only we have the dragon.
10. Our Crest - take a look around and notice how many other fraternities and sororities crest's are mimicked after ours.
11. Being the 'big dogg' without having 200 chapters.
12. BNN (Beta News Network) ha ha
13. Being able to stop at ANY Beta house, and have a place to call home.
14. Lastly, being so damn old and so damn strong. (all the fraternities before Beta Theta Pi have become pretty much non-existent).

"We all drink from the same canteen......."

JerzeeBoy26
04-27-2003, 03:33 AM
there are too many reasons so I will just list a few:

1) our unparalleled history and tradition
2) the fact that we don't have all the prettyboy actors and musicians that everyone has heard of, but we dominate the nation's business and political spheres. oh yeah, we don't do to bad on the athletic field either!
3) that no matter where I go around the country or who I talk to, our fraternity is held in the highest regard. I know of no other org except maybe sigma chi that is as well respected nationally as we are (triad baby!)
4) like zz said, that we are truly one of the 3 or 4 "big doggs" of the greek world while having 70-100 fewer chapters than most of our 'peers'
5) that just about every other major national out there has watched to see what we do and then copied it. when they need guidance, they look to us
6) that the MOP Initiative has been copied but never emulated by other fraternities. and that schools are now begging us to expand to their campus
7) I'm also proud of being a "Big Ten" Beta, a conference where Beta stands atop greek life at nearly every school (and you better believe that all hell is gonna break loose at Indiana next year when our boys come back to campus!)
8) that instead of having 200+ chapters at random schools, that we remain selective in the places we go and the men we recruit. I mean not to rip them, but how do sigep, lxa and tke alumni stack up against ours? there is no comparison

Betarulz!
04-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Great Reasons guys...all added to my list for being proud to be a Beta...

JerzeeBoy - Hadn't thought about looking along confrence lines...but I'll go old Big 8 schools (I don't particularly like the Big XII all that much...I'd definetely say that I'm proud to be a Big 8 Beta...

KU...Won grades for every semester but 5 over the past 50 some years...won Intramurals for 15 out of the last 18 years.
KSU...One of Beta's Best, great guys, great leadership on campus, great involvement, innovative programming within the house and in terms of Beta stuff. I think three Knox awards.
Missouri...Sam Walton, Gary Barnett, unfortunetly Ken Lay, the guy from Hidden Valley Ranch, New GF President Robert McKinley, 2 houses, enough said.
Oklahoma State...Amazing recolonization, 55 founding fathers, tons of campus leaders, some freshman leadership council had 6 out of 24 board members be Betas or something like that - basically half the males on the board were Beta Pledges
Oklahoma...won grades repeatedly, huge house, well respected all over, Knox award winners twice (I think)
Nebraska...Won grades three semesters in a row. 2 Knox awards, great involvement, Back to back Defending Homecoming champs, well respected by the sororities, administration, and faculty.
Iowa State... Some super nice guys, and they do well on their campus. Nice (if horraciously dirty) house. Dominate the social scene there. Tons of hot girls always make their parties.

Colorado has no active chapter...

That said, I bet a lot of the major conferences (Pac 10, SEC, ACC) could say the same things about our chapters of Beta!!!
(which ties into the fact that we are so well respected Nationally).

Alpha Tau 2063
"Damn Proud to be a Beta!"

ZZ-kai-
05-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Another reason (from betathetapi.org):

Way to go Beta Psi!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Things Happen At West Virginia
(Posted: 01-May-03)
West Virginia named Outstanding Fraternity; Other honors

Morgantown, WV - April 28, 2003 — The hills are alive with the sounds of Beta Theta Pi! For the second consecutive year, the Beta Psi chapter at West Virginia has swept the 2003 Greek Awards held at Bent Wiley's Restaurant in Morgantown on April 27th.

The Chapter won best Community Service, No.1 in Scholastic Achievement and Chapter Treasurer Jesse Liebig was named the 2003 Greek Man of The Year.

To top off the evening, retired Dean and Vice President for Student Affairs at West Virginia for 37 years presented the Joseph C. Gluck Award to the Beta Psi Chapter as the Outstanding Fraternity at West Virginia University for 2002-2003, the second consecutive year the Chapter has won the prestigious Award.

Robert Kent, faculty advisor and district chief, present at the Awards Ceremony expressed that he could not be more proud of a group of Beta Bothers. "They work hard, play by the rules and are a true asset to their University, Community and Fraternity. They compete with themselves and have reached a milestone in their climb back up the mountain."

"They are richly deserving of this Award," he added.

Ron Justice, Greek Advisor and Mayor of Morgantown stated that, "This group of Beta Brothers can only make the Greek System stronger . . . they work and stand for everything which is good about the Fraternity System and the proud tradition we uphold each and every day."

For further information, please contact Robert L. Kent, district chief 304-293-8220.

nickdiesel
06-26-2003, 03:45 AM
yeah, if i wanted to say how great beta is i could say all the stuff about men of principle, or just say Robb's quote, but i can't explain it. "we know it, who are inside...and they see and record it who are outside the beta pale." that sums it up for me.

yours in ~kai~

nickdiesel

URI representin'