PDA

View Full Version : How many use Pantene shampoo and conditioner?

annice22
04-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Hi I just wanted to know how many GCers use Pantene Shampoos and Conditioners?

I have tried to use it and every time I wash and condition my hair it feels like it has some kind of wax or something on it. Somtimes I have to re-wash my hair with a different shampoo and use a different conditioner to make my hair feel better. I have never gotten the results like on the commercials. I'm studying marketing and I should know by now that the commercials use either lighting or the models probably have a clear rinse on their hair. It's just when I see the commercial I think hey I want my hair to look healthy and shiny.

Please let me know any of your results.
Thanks

FSS

AXJules
04-18-2003, 02:49 PM
I hate it, it always makes my hair staticky.

Try Garnier Fructisse....it just got to the U.S., but its been available in Europe and Mexico for awhile. It is amazing.

AlphaGamDiva
04-18-2003, 02:50 PM
i use it....and my hairdresser and every other in-the-know hair person hates it. apparently, it does have some kind of wax in it, so that's why i guess you feel all that. but personally, i love it. i like their deep conditioners and all that......but i think the main problem is that it contributes to split ends (which, i have to tame all the time....so). but, when it's all fixed and stuff....i think it looks good. :)
if it's not working for ya, you're not the only one. it seems to go with my hair ok, though....try biolage products b/c they are reeeally good or that physique stuff.

wreckingcrew
04-18-2003, 02:52 PM
I use it to. I use the color treated stuff, cuz i used to have highlights. Got nothing but compliments :)

Kitso
KS 361

DWAlphaGam
04-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I use the 2-in-1 and I love it. People always tell me that I have really nice, shiny hair, and my hair always feels good. Looks like I'm in the minority here, though.

sigmagrrl
04-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Pantene just came out with a line of products for African American hair called Relaxed & Natural. It's designed to use on both relaxed and natural tresses (like the name states). I love Pantene's fragrance, but I've been told not to use it on my hair. I hope this line smells the same!!

librasoul22
04-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
I use the 2-in-1 and I love it. People always tell me that I have really nice, shiny hair, and my hair always feels good. Looks like I'm in the minority here, though.

No way, I swear by Pantene. It works for me.

SSS1365
04-18-2003, 03:23 PM
I've had multiple hair stylists tell me that Pantene is bad for you because it contains parafin wax (what makes your hair shiny) which builds up on your hair and causes it to break. And that makes sense to me. Personally, I have never used it.

honeychile
04-18-2003, 03:27 PM
I use & like Pantene, and get a lot of compliments on my hair. My hairdresser tells me that anytime you see a word starting with "para" it means that there's paraffin in it. Is there paraffin in the pomade that they use to style it? I've never bought that, but I love the way my hair looks with it - very "swingy"!

honeychile

SATX*APhi
04-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by AlphaGamDiva
try biolage products b/c they are reeeally good
I love Biolage!! I use their Conditioning Balm and it leaves my hair so soft and pretty. :) I just ran out and have been using Herbal Essence conditioner for a few days now and :eek: Gosh, that stuff is so waxy. My stylist told me that all the stuff you buy at the grocery store is 99% water and waxy substance. That's why it's only $3 a bottle. :D I definitely recommend Biolage for everyone. The conditioning balm may not be right for you, but they have other shampoo and conditioning products for different hair types.

librasoul22
04-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SATX*APhi
I love Biolage!! I use their Conditioning Balm and it leaves my hair so soft and pretty. :) I just ran out and have been using Herbal Essence conditioner for a few days now and :eek: Gosh, that stuff is so waxy. My stylist told me that all the stuff you buy at the grocery store is 99% water and waxy substance. That's why it's only $3 a bottle. :D I definitely recommend Biolage for everyone. The conditioning balm may not be right for you, but they have other shampoo and conditioning products for different hair types.

Yo, herbal essences sucks the fat one. I hate that! It smells good, sure, but that doesn't even last long when you get out of the shower.

That sucks that Pantene breaks your hair though...I might try Biolage out since y'all think it is better.

SATX*APhi
04-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by librasoul22
I might try Biolage out since y'all think it is better.
I don't think; I know. :D

AXJules
04-18-2003, 03:51 PM
I am telling you, people, say it with me....
GARNIER FRUCTISSE.
Try it once, you can even get it at WalMart, for god's sake...and its european so its not all wax.
You will be hooked. Neon green bottle. Smells like heaven.

ilovemyglo
04-18-2003, 03:56 PM
DO NOT USE PANTENE!!
It has the same PH level as a lemon. Totally destroys your hair. Try a litmus test if you don't believe me!

FAB*SpiceySpice
04-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by AXJules
I am telling you, people, say it with me....
GARNIER FRUCTISSE.
Try it once, you can even get it at WalMart, for god's sake...and its european so its not all wax.
You will be hooked. Neon green bottle. Smells like heaven.

Hmm maybe I will invest in some of this. I have this weird thing with my shampoo. I use it until I get about halfway through the bottle and then I can't even open it anymore b/c the smell makes me so incredibly nauseous. No matter WHAT kind of shampoo/conditioner I use. And it really sucks when it happens with the big bottles of Bed head stuff and Biolage. :( But I am always on the lookout for new shampoos since I change it like every two weeks. Needless to say I have quite the collection of half empty shampoo and conditioner bottles....my mom uses them to give our doggies baths usually. :D

AngelPhiSig
04-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by annice22

I have tried to use it and every time I wash and condition my hair it feels like it has some kind of wax or something on it. Somtimes I have to re-wash my hair with a different shampoo and use a different conditioner to make my hair feel better. I have never gotten the results like on the commercials. I'm studying marketing and I should know by now that the commercials use either lighting or the models probably have a clear rinse on their hair. It's just when I see the commercial I think hey I want my hair to look healthy and shiny.

Please let me know any of your results.
Thanks

FSS

My one sister says "Dont use it..." cos it does coat your hair with wax...

Lady Pi Phi
04-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I had no idea that it did that. I have naturally...uh, oily hair, so I wash my hair everyday, I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I have to do it. But no wonder my hair gets so oily in a few hours. Not only is this pantene building a layer of wax on my hair, I have to use lots of other hair products to get my hair to do what I want it to when I style it.

Well I'm never using this stuff again.

AchtungBaby80
04-18-2003, 07:00 PM
I used to use it, until I read somewhere that it makes your hair fall out. :eek: Maybe that's because it makes your hair break off, as someone said earlier. Listen to AXJules, everybody--Garnier Fructis is the way to go! That's what I use, and I'm real particular about my hair.

valkyrie
04-18-2003, 07:13 PM
I don't normally mention stuff like this because I don't want to piss anyone off, but if you're looking for another reason NOT to use Pantene and you care, it's made by Procter & Gamble, a company that still tests its products on animals.

Dionysus
04-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Besides Frizz-ease, I believe Pantene has the best shampoo and conditioner on the market.

OUKate
04-18-2003, 09:18 PM
I swear by Aveda. I've been using it since I was a kid, and there's nothing better for your hair.

SSS1365
04-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by valkyrie
I don't normally mention stuff like this because I don't want to piss anyone off, but if you're looking for another reason NOT to use Pantene and you care, it's made by Procter & Gamble, a company that still tests its products on animals.

Just for clarification on the whole animal testing thing... any product you buy has ingredients that have been tested on animals. They wouldn't be on the market if they weren't. Little thing called the FDA. However, final products are rarely tested on animals (i.e., you won't walk into a lab and see a rat with lipstick on :p). When you see "Not tested on animals" what it REALLY means is "Final product not tested on animals."

By the way, valkyrie, I'm not pissed off :)

valkyrie
04-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Actually, the law does not require that products be tested on animals. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you want to learn more about it, you can check with the National Anti-Vivisection Society. (http://www.navs.org/testing/testing_main.cfm?SectionID=Testing)

pinkyphimu
04-18-2003, 11:42 PM
i just have to put my plug in for thermasilk. i used to use pantene and i never really had a problem with it, but my hair was definately really dry....of course i have naturally dry hair bc no matter what shampoo i have ever used i have always had to use a ton of conditioner....until the day i tried thermasilk. one of my students used to use it and while i was out shopping for it for her, i picked up a bottle for me. i LOVE it. i hardly use conditioner any more. this is awesome considering i used to use 2 bottles of conditioner to every one bottle of shampoo.

DigitalAngel126
04-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
i just have to put my plug in for thermasilk. i used to use pantene and i never really had a problem with it, but my hair was definately really dry....of course i have naturally dry hair bc no matter what shampoo i have ever used i have always had to use a ton of conditioner....until the day i tried thermasilk. one of my students used to use it and while i was out shopping for it for her, i picked up a bottle for me. i LOVE it. i hardly use conditioner any more. this is awesome considering i used to use 2 bottles of conditioner to every one bottle of shampoo.

that sounds like me - - the 2 bottles of conditioner to 1 of shampoo... but i've tried thermasilk before and i LOVED it... biolage i like but don't usually have the money for (i go through the stuff so damn quick)...pantene i've ALWAYS loved, but now you've got me weary...hmmm...maybe i'll have to try Fructis.. if that doesn't work out, does anyone have any suggestions for REALLY curly, REALLY coarse hair that can only be washed 1-2 times a week because of how dry it is??

Jadey28
04-19-2003, 06:42 AM
Wow! I have just been enlightened about Pantene products. I don't use them because I don't like the way they make my hair, but I was shocked learning about the wax contained in the product. I am a fan of Therma Silk also. I also like Redkin (I think that's how you spell it) for when my hair first gets highlighted. It smells good, works good, but it is a little pricey.

AOIIalum
04-19-2003, 09:16 AM
I'm addicted to Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo. It smells fantastic and my scalp loves it!

Christin

OUlioness01
04-19-2003, 10:29 AM
i usually use thermasilk and i love it, but I'm using pantene until the stuff i have runs out becasue my hair doesn't not like me usuing the same products for more than 3or 4 months at a time. whatever you do son't use Herbal Esseneces. My dad used to always buy that stuff and it's horrible.

Serenity
04-19-2003, 11:14 AM
I've used Pantene for years. I like it because my hair is relaxed so it tends to dry out and Pantene really seemed to nourish it. I liked the results I got and I always LOVE how my hair smells after I wash it. :o I have not seen the Pantene line for relaxed hair around these parts. I would've tried them had I not read this thread.

I usually switch to another shampoo and conditioner every few months because "they" say you should since your hair will get used to the ones you are using and you wont see great results anymore. But, I usually go right back to using Pantene. I have been noticing my hair falling out lately, but figured it was stress...

I'll have to try Biolage. I tried Therma Silk but didn't really like it. I can't even remember why. Maybe I just preferred Pantene at the time.

annice22
04-20-2003, 06:58 PM
I just bought L'Oreal's Vive smooth-intense shampoo and conditioner and it made my hair feel really soft so I may continue to use that. I also bought the Garnier Fruitesse(sp) also and I'll check to see how that makes my hair feel too.

I will probably toss out my pantene shampoos/conditioners or use them as a manicure soak.

F
S
S

Fewdfreak
04-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Pantene dries the hell outta my hair b/c like others said it contains silicones and other things to make the hair appear shiny, but in all essence dry it out... So after using it for like two weeks you have crispy straw.

My fave shampoo/conditioner line right now is KMS, they have it at like Regis and stuff. I'm using the blonde (purple) shampoo and the color-treated reconstructor--they smell awesome and are great! Also what is excellent for the hair is Joico K-PAK line in the yellowish-white bottle, one of my roomies uses it and it's got a really really low pH and contains proteins, etc... plus it smells delish and I works great too.

L.

ADPi~Ally
04-20-2003, 11:09 PM
I use Suave or V05, it's cheap and it works. I don't need the expensive stuff.

ToBeSororityGrl
04-20-2003, 11:20 PM
I have started using the Dove line of shampoo and conditioners and not only does it smell great but it makes my hair feel so light and nice.

I used to use Pantene, maybe that's why I was losing so much hair and breakage and all that. It was getting upsetting!!

AND, if you have the money for Biolage, I STRONGLY recommend it. Whenever I had bottles of it my hair felt wonderful. It really is great.

Shine
04-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Pantene is shite and it's really bad for color treated hair.

The first thing it does is strip your hair of any NATURAL oils or shine, then it coats it in paraffin wax to impart artificial shine.

These processes make your hair so damaged and breakable.

I am sooo anti Pantene. I use Herbal Essences right now, but I usually use Joico or Aveda.

CutiePie2000
04-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by annice22

I have tried to use it and every time I wash and condition my hair it feels like it has some kind of wax or something on it.

Steer clear of any shampoos that are "white and creamy" looking....Pantene is almost pealescent looking. If it's white and creamy, that's wax, baby and that's ending up on your hair.

Go for shampoos that are "clear", not creamy.

Hope that this helps.

Allie
04-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Because I love GC I will share my new secret with you

Try Sexy Healthy Hair by Sexy Hair Concepts. It's the only soy based hair care line and read the ingredients... they all have soy milk, soy protiens, and/or oatmeal and wheat proteins.

I use the shampoo and conditioner as well as the once a week leave in conditioner. Some K-Mart's are selling it, but I get it at my salon. All products are usually $7-$10 which isn't bad for a salon line.

check out their website www.sexyhairconcepts.com

PS- I'm an Ag major and just did a presentation on the company and line.

Mz Destiny
04-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ADPi~Ally
I use Suave or V05, it's cheap and it works.

I alternate between Suave and Pantene.

I may be part of the minority here, but I absolutely love Pantene! I use the Smooth & Sleek Shampoo and Conditioner. I am African American and I have Relaxed hair.

Since I don't shampoo my hair everyday, the whole "Pantene's got wax in it" argument is void to me. The supposed wax in it actually serves as a light buffer between my hair and whatever appliances I use on my hair. I haven't suffered any hair loss from it. I think the Pantene line is wonderful, and I'm looking forward to trying their new line for Relaxed hair!

I love Suave too. They have yummy-smelling shampoos and conditioners, and they are cheap! Right now, I am loving the Lime one and the Peach one.

I stay away from VO5. Supposedly, they contain Balsam- which is a product that is known to strip African-American hair textures. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I grew up hearing.

Eirene_DGP
04-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Mz Destiny, I was thinking the same thing about Pantene and Afr. Am and minority hair. I've never had a problem with Pantene and my hair is at its best when I use it. Suave is also a really great brand. I alternate between Sauve's version of Biolage and Matrix and Pantene.

Serenity...As far as Pantene's new line of Afr. Am products, I'd hold off on it for a while because one of my friends tried it and looked like an Afro puff. The strength of the Shampoo and Conditioner is not quite perfected yet...Afr. Am hair does not equate harsh chemicals.

Angelic
11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
My hairdresser said the same thing to me (about Pantene coating your hair with a wax) when I told her that's what I used. She also said that most inexpensive brands include lots of alcohol, which in turn dry out your hair.

She recommended either Kerastase (holy fricken expensive) or Artec (not as bad but still expensive) for my hair since I had just colored it.

Has anyone tried either of these or any other expensive product? Are they worth the money? I'm pretty anal about my hair.

xok85xo
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Allie
Try Sexy Healthy Hair by Sexy Hair Concepts. It's the only soy based hair care line and read the ingredients... they all have soy milk, soy protiens, and/or oatmeal and wheat proteins.

i have been using this line since august on my hair stylist's recommendation and i absolutely love it. i use the soy moisture shampoo, soy conditioner, and the soya want flat hair straightening spray. my hair is so soft and shiney, it looks relaly healthy. the last time i had my hair cut/colored my stylist couldn't believe how great the condition of my hair was..

mullet81
11-12-2003, 03:04 PM
I might have to work Sexy Hair Concepts into my otation with Aveda. I'm obsessed with natural shampoos and conditioners.

PANTENE IS THE DEVIL!!!!

ThetaPrincess24
11-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by valkyrie

Thats one reason why i dont use pantene, another reason is because of all the build up on the hair it causes, it can(doesnt mean it will) cause hair color and perms not to take.

I use biolage or other matrix products and have been quite happy :)

krazy
11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
I didn't know that!! Thank you... What a bunch of heartless idiots. I use beer in my hair once a week for conditioner. A big ol' can of PBR. Try it!

ToBeSororityGrl
11-12-2003, 08:08 PM
I had been using Bioloage for a couple of months and noticed that with conditioner my hair wasn't very soft and quite tangly so I went to the Clinique counter to get some lotion and bought the shampoo and conditioner and can't tell you how great it is. A day after the hair has been washed, it's not greasy, very soft and quite manageable, smells great, and makes my hair feel much better. No more tangles here!

breathesgelatin
11-12-2003, 08:19 PM
I don't like Pantene for the same greasy reasons everyone has mentioned. My boyfriend uses it, though.

I am going to try Garnier Fructisse, I think.

wrigley
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
This is why I love the search button and why the Pantene I just bought is going back to the store.

WCUgirl
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Here is a very helpful book if you want to learn all about hair care products. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1877988316/qid=1126797733/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/103-1947799-9898269?v=glance&s=books) Also, just because a product is inexpensive or comes from a drugstore (the horror!) does not mean it's bad for your hair. Remember -- Estee Lauder owns several drugstore brands, just as L'Oreal owns Lancome. :)

Tickled Pink 2
09-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I love Pantene's smell, but it breaks my hair off. I even tried their ethnic line and same results. My hairdresser scolded me something awful. No more Pantene for me. They need to create a non animal tested body wash because it smells so clean.

Honeykiss1974
09-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I use Garnier and LOVE it - especially the 3 minute Deep conditioner.

I sometimes will use Dove, which I do like too. Its Intense Moisture line is NO JOKE!:eek: :) It is great for dry hair.

I've never cared for Pantene. I thought it made my hard hard and dry.

PM_Mama00
09-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I've been using Pantene's Smooth and Sleak or the other ones for curly hair for the last few months and I've noticed that it doesn't get my hair feeling clean. BUT it does give my corse curly hair a softer feeling and it comes out shiny. I've noticed when I get my hair hilited & lo-lited, even the blonde fades which is weird cuz it's bleach.

Someone else else in this thread, what is good for corse curly hair? I tried Garnier's mousse and HATED it, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about the shampoo and conditioner. I used to LOVE Bed Head's line.... either the curly shampoo/cond. and straight shamp/cond, but my salon doesn't sell it anymore. :(

OtterXO
09-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
I've been using Pantene's Smooth and Sleak or the other ones for curly hair for the last few months and I've noticed that it doesn't get my hair feeling clean. BUT it does give my corse curly hair a softer feeling and it comes out shiny. I've noticed when I get my hair hilited & lo-lited, even the blonde fades which is weird cuz it's bleach.

Someone else else in this thread, what is good for corse curly hair? I tried Garnier's mousse and HATED it, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about the shampoo and conditioner. I used to LOVE Bed Head's line.... either the curly shampoo/cond. and straight shamp/cond, but my salon doesn't sell it anymore. :(

I absolutely LOVE Biolage. Every once in awhile I forget how much I love in and try something else and my hair gets weird and dry. Then I switch back to Biolage (I use the color care line) and i remember why it's SO worth it. A lot of times I'll see it at beauty supply stores for 2 for $20 of the huge bottles so I'll snap them up! It ends up costing about the same as drugstore brands!

PM_Mama00
09-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I tried Garnier Fructis. I bought two different kinds... the one for growing long hair/split ends, and the one for frizzy hair. I did the frizzy hair shampoo and long hair conditioner. LOVED IT! My hair felt clean but not stripped of oils, when I was rinsing out my conditioner I wasn't pulling out chunks of hairs (Pantene didn't really take knots out very well), and it smelled GREAT-- still does after being outside!

BUT I tried their volumizing mousse and I don't like the way my hair feels and it's still kinda frizzy.

ETA: I just posted this in the Flat Iron thread, but I used BioSilk shampoo and conditioner today. I think this is my favorite now and it smells really good. It only took 10 minutes to blow my hair out straight and it looks decent and is really soft.