PDA

View Full Version : Pin Collectors

honeychile
03-10-2003, 10:56 PM
As you may have heard, there are people who collect fraternity & sorority pins for whatever reason. One of the easiest ways to do this is by watching online auctions such as ebay, and bidding for various pins. There are two schools of thought about this: One, that the pins should belong exclusively to the members of that GLO and Two, as long as people don't physically wear the pins, it's a harmless hobby.

You may have heard of KKG having a "Keepers of the Key" organization, whose sole purpose is to keep the Kappa key in the hands of Kappas only. Alpha Delta Pi has a similar group, "Guardians of the Diamond". I've met some wonderful sisters while agreeing not to bid against each other for one pin or another. One ADPi has a massive collection of various ADPi pins; wouldn't it be lovely if a poster could be made of the different pins? We are very fortunate to have such a wide selection!

There is an interesting debate on the Alpha Phi message board, entitled "Unusual A Phi Pin on ebay". I would encourage every sister to read this thread! You will understand my restraint after reading it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and the thread mentioned.

Loyally,
honeychile

honeychile
03-10-2003, 10:59 PM
And while I'm thinking about it, not to be morbid, but have you made arrangements for the disposal of your ADPi diamond after your death? If you don't have a legacy to leave the pin to, consider leaving it to a chapter for use as a President's Pin, a Scholarship Pin, or even a Spirit Pin. Another suggestion is to stipulate that your pin be returned to EO, so that another Alpha Delta Pi may enjoy it. Just a suggestion.

honeychile

valpogal99
03-11-2003, 05:23 PM
How do you get involved with the Guardians of the Diamond? We have been talking about this on our chapter listserve. In fact, several of us have started bidding when we can (sorry if we are bidding against you). I contacted EO about this and they said there was nothing they could do and didn't mention any groups of ADPi's that were doing anything like that. It would be nice to have a listing of the ID's of people in the group so that we wouldn't bid against eachother. However, I wouldn't post it here because of the ease of access to sellers. I know of a sister who is looking to replace her pin which was stolen. Thanks for any information you can provide about Guardians of the Diamond.

honeychile
03-11-2003, 10:57 PM
I won't say that it's underground, so much as by word of mouth. If I see someone bidding consistently on ADPi items, I will usually email them, asking them if they are ADPis.

I heard about the Guardians from Beth Hamilton, EO VP of Housing (or something similar, I'm just awful at titles!). She's such a lovely lady, and she told me that *** is the sister who has the awesome collection. Beth gets pins for Alphas she knows & loves, and will let *** know if she's bidding, so that *** will opt out.

Just jump in, bid, and if you question someone's status, email them! If they don't answer, or won't step down if you explain that you're after that pin for a specific reason, it's a pretty safe guess that that person isn't an ADPi!

And by all means, if I'm bidding against you, let me know! I would rather that we don't run the price up against each other!

honeychile

edited for identities; I'll pm them to you!

texas*princess
03-12-2003, 12:12 AM
I think having a Guardians of the Diamond is a great idea.

I know this might sound kind of crazy, but if EO had a database of eBay identities of all ADPi's they would know if a real ADPi was bidding on the precious badges or other items.

Making a database that huge would be very time-consuming I'm sure...

nauadpi
03-12-2003, 02:41 AM
I know a lot of the International Officers themselves try to bid on pins and what not, and out Grand President is one of them. So you can always send emails her way directly, and she will try to bid on them or find someone who can.

polarpi
03-13-2003, 07:22 PM
What category at ebay would you find this pins? I tried doing a search and I couldn't find any badges from ANY GLO. Not that I would bid, but I'm just curious who these people are that are bidding on these!

L & L,
Jennie

honeychile
03-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by polarpi
What category at ebay would you find this pins? I tried doing a search and I couldn't find any badges from ANY GLO. Not that I would bid, but I'm just curious who these people are that are bidding on these!

L & L,
Jennie

Just type in Alpha Delta Pi! Pins aren't always up for bid (thank heavens!), but that's where they will be, when they are. I was able to get a pin that had been made into a ring for less than it would cost to have my own pin made into a ring! :) Of course, I will have to have it sized...

L&L,
honeychile

valpogal99
03-14-2003, 11:08 AM
I have heard differing opinions on this topic but one piece of advice I would offer is to bid late. If you start bidding early, it is a sign to collectors and/or the seller that you are willing to pay more for it. If you let it set until the last day (even the last few hours), the price will typically remain fairly low. This helps ADPi members have a chance and picking up a badge for a lower cost. The earlier the bidding starts, the more people bid and the higher the price goes. I have seen that happen on a few items there. Just my thoughts. What do you all think?

honeychile
03-14-2003, 11:40 AM
I think that's sound advice, Jen. I usually either put something on my watch list, or make the lowest bid possible (if I'm first), then lie low until the last day.

Of course, do I have to tell you who's nigh on to a heart attack in those last, frantic minutes? :rolleyes: :)

L&L,
honeychile

texas*princess
03-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Greetings ladies!

I just wanted to let you know there is an ADPi badge on ebay that is due to end in 3 days.

Here is the URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2917605410&category=11145

polarpi
03-21-2003, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by texas*princess
[B]Greetings ladies!

I just wanted to let you know there is an ADPi badge on ebay that is due to end in 3 days.

Just so you know, an ADPi did win this badge to replace hers that was lost (she's a sister from my chapter and let us know)

Jennie

honeychile
03-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by polarpi
[QUOTE]Originally posted by texas*princess
[B]Greetings ladies!

Just so you know, an ADPi did win this badge to replace hers that was lost (she's a sister from my chapter and let us know)

Jennie

Yippee!!! I'm so glad that the Diamond has a good home!! I really try to be understanding of pin collecting, but sometimes I get a little miffed at the non-ADPis who run up the price on sisters!!

honeychile

valpogal99
03-22-2003, 12:18 PM
I think it is good that a sister who is replacing her badge won it (especially since it was on sale by a fellow Sister). There is another badge online right now with guard and charms. Just thought I would pass that info along!

texas*princess
03-23-2003, 09:48 PM
I completely agree Jen!

honeychile
03-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by valpogal99
I think it is good that a sister who is replacing her badge won it (especially since it was on sale by a fellow Sister). There is another badge online right now with guard and charms. Just thought I would pass that info along!

Do y'all call them "charms" now? We called them dangles.

That pin is beautiful! I just hope it goes to an ADPi!

honeychile

nauadpi
03-24-2003, 12:07 AM
We call them dangles in my chapter...

polarpi
03-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Checked on ebay a few minutes ago...there are two pins up for sale right now. One looks to be a part of a collection, and the other I think is being sold by someone who just sold another one within the past week or two...this is so distressing, but a good reminder of how much the pin means to me!

honeychile
03-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Wow, polarpi - what a beautiful way to think about the pin! :) You've inspired me!

L&L,
honeychile

polarpi
03-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by honeychile
Wow, polarpi - what a beautiful way to think about the pin! :) You've inspired me!

L&L,
honeychile

Well, I just think about the billions of women out there, and how few of them will actually wear the ADPi badge...that's what helps me to remember to cherish it and what history it has behind it!

L&L,
Jennie

polarpi
03-31-2003, 02:34 AM
This is getting serious...one of our sisters found an ALPHA pin up for sale on ebay. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3601557124&category=11145
I can't believe this...and tyoregon has the highest bid at the moment, so I'm hoping a sister can beat him out in the last second!

honeychile
03-31-2003, 11:35 PM
Jen, thank you for pointing it out! I see an EO officer has bid on it; I've put in on my watch list and I'll bid on the last day (if I can afford it!).

What really irks me is the seller's name: betapifiji. This person is probably a greek, and still profits from this. Shame on him/her!!

*glowering*
honeychile

honeychile
04-01-2003, 01:15 AM
FYI: Since reading Jen's above post, I checked ebay again. I didn't see much under Alpha Delta Pi, but under "Collectibles:Historical Memorabilia: Fraternal Groups:Fraternity, Sorority " I found pins etc from all sorts of fraternities & sororities. There are dozens of pledge pins from many GLOs, as well as various other pins. I did notice an "Alpha Delta Phi" pin, and found it intriguing - if no one had already bid on it, I could have been tempted.

Guess who is high bidder on more than 5 different sorority pins (that I noticed)?! If you read the first post in this thread, you know the answer! So much for the theory that "My wife/daughter/aunt/niece/grandmother etc was an (insert your GLO here)!

I'm still looking...

L&L,
honeychile

polarpi
04-02-2003, 03:07 AM
FYI: Since reading Jen's above post, I checked ebay again. I didn't see much under Alpha Delta Pi, but under "Collectibles:Historical Memorabilia: Fraternal Groups:Fraternity, Sorority " I found pins etc from all sorts of fraternities & sororities. There are dozens of pledge pins from many GLOs, as well as various other pins. I did notice an "Alpha Delta Phi" pin, and found it intriguing - if no one had already bid on it, I could have been tempted.

Guess who is high bidder on more than 5 different sorority pins (that I noticed)?! If you read the first post in this thread, you know the answer! So much for the theory that "My wife/daughter/aunt/niece/grandmother etc was an (insert your GLO here)!

I'm still looking...

L&L,
honeychile

You can find the Alpha pin if you do a search as ADPi Sorority Pledge Pin, and there is still one badge in the regular "Alpha Delta Pi" search. I put both of them on my watch list. In order for the highest bidder to have a relative of some sort as a (Insert GLO), he'd have to have a LOT of relatives!!!

L&L,
Jennie

valpogal99
04-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Hey Sisters - bad news. TyOregon won the Alpha badge. If you check out other boards about their badges, you will see that he claims he has relatives in the sorority - the most common story is that his daughter is a member of X sorority. It does appear that he may have a daughter that is a KD and he buys badges for her. Either way, he runs up the price on a number of badges so if you see him bidding, bid late - he apparently doesn't have any cash flow problems. It also doesn't do any good to write to him and ask him not to bid. Anyway, just thought I would pass that information along.

I have a question though, as a "pledge pin" that has to be given back to the sorority - can't EO do something about that pin. Noone can buy them from the Sorority so the pin must have been "Taken" from them. Just a thought.

honeychile
04-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Oh, filing a claim for receiving stolen property would be such justice!! :D I had heard that he had Alpha Phi daughters - frankly, I don't believe 1/10th of it. The link I started out with is from the Alpha Phi thread; they say he's an attorney with deep pockets. I'm glad he paid as much as he did for it!!

Interestingly, my pledge class was the largest on campus when I pledged, so our Alumnae Association bought our pledge pins for us. I still have mine, in a little frame that they made for each of us. Alumnae can be cool at times! :)

L&L,
honeychile

ASUADPi
04-11-2003, 01:22 AM
When I read the title of this thread, I wasn't quite expecting what I read. After reading Alpha Phi's thread and completely reading all posts on ours, I'm pissed!!! I don't even think I can describe how mad I am. My parents paid for my pin and it means so much to me because they really didn't support me joining ADPi, but they bought my pin. I treasure my pin and I look foward to the day when I have a daughter and can pass it on to her. It really irks me that this guy is doing this to us, Alpha Phi and god knows how many other sororities. I wish there was a way for all of us, all greeks, to band together and stop the sell of our pins on ebay to people who aren't even greek and let alone a member or the particular sorority/fraternity.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. This just really frustrates me.

honeychile
04-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Trust me, you're not offending any of us! We all feel very strongly about the Diamond, and guys like that are simply childish in their desire to make people pay more than they really should. If he were a collector of one each, never wore them, and didn't lie about his affiliations, I might be more tolerant. Maybe.

honeychile

polarpi
04-12-2003, 10:43 PM
I doubt I'd be more tolerant....there's really no reason to bid on the pins if you're not going to use them...how many people have stuff lyin garound just because they "wanted it" rather than they "needed it"??? Just my honest opinion, but I wish the selling of any GLO pins would not occur on ebay. Grr....

skerbow
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Honey ~ Here is your original thread on the Guardians of the Diamond.

Just a nice little bump!

cutiepatootie
02-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by valpogal99
Hey Sisters - bad news. TyOregon won the Alpha badge. If you check out other boards about their badges, you will see that he claims he has relatives in the sorority - the most common story is that his daughter is a member of X sorority. It does appear that he may have a daughter that is a KD and he buys badges for her. Either way, he runs up the price on a number of badges so if you see him bidding, bid late - he apparently doesn't have any cash flow problems. It also doesn't do any good to write to him and ask him not to bid. Anyway, just thought I would pass that information along.

I have a question though, as a "pledge pin" that has to be given back to the sorority - can't EO do something about that pin. Noone can buy them from the Sorority so the pin must have been "Taken" from them. Just a thought.

Sorry to crash your board...... Tyoregon does have a daughter and mother and they are both Alpha Phi's our EO knows of his daughter and EO has seen her serious collection of Alpha Phi badges that daddy warbucks ( tyoregon) has bought for her. He is a not very nice man if you ever deal with him on an email level. Even if your the nicest sincerest person who emailed him a non threatening email he still is a creep.

He does run up the board to outragious amts and in my opinon is a creep. He tells everyone he has a daughter that is a KD,APHI,KKG,ADPI, etc... i don't know his reasoning but nonetheless a jerk

I love your idea of guardians of the diamond program to help "save " your badges... you all should be commended for trying to save your heritage like us all against creeps like him!

Laura

skerbow
02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Thank you Laura! I'm sure our badge means as much to each of us as your's does to you. :)

FirstAndFinest
02-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Here's my thought and the logic behind...

Bid early with the HIGHEST AMOUNT you would be willing to pay.
THis was suggested to me when I first started bidding (and losing) on Ebay, and it is good advice. Obviously, we all want to pay as little as possible, and that is how ebay's proxy bidding works. For example, if you are willing to pay $100 - at MOST - but opening bid is $1, BID $100! Ebay will enter your first bid at $1. This way you will automatically out-bid anyone who bids later. Yes, these later-bidders *will* drive the prioce hight, so you've got to be willing to pay your bid price.

So, now you know my bidding strategy! If you see me bidding on ebay for ADPi stuff, you might want to PM or email me if you have a special request (I've been know to stop bidding or to sell for my purchase price TO SISTERS).

Loyally,
Leslie

PS - I also bid on Theta Chi (my dad's fraternity) items and NJ postcards.

skerbow
02-10-2004, 03:53 PM
I was always told to watch an item until the final day. Then if it is still reasonable, bid with your highest bid. This will keep the price from going up every time someone bids. Just my $0.02

texas*princess
02-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by skerbow
I was always told to watch an item until the final day. Then if it is still reasonable, bid with your highest bid. This will keep the price from going up every time someone bids. Just my $0.02

^^ I've ALWAYS won auctions this way.

With highly coveted items (like sorority pins for example) there are some ebay members who simply bid to raise the price.

Say for example I placed a proxy bid and my max was $100, but the bid so far was only 45, people have been known to bid on the item simply to raise the cost.. so I would definitely suggest waiting until the end, unless money is really not a concern and you just really really want to be the highest bidder for 8 days straight on that one item :p ;)

FirstAndFinest
02-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks, Princess. I never thought about people spitefully raising the price.

skerbow
02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
For those of you that do collect, what are your plans for your badges once you pass on??

honeychile
02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
For those of you that do collect, what are your plans for your badges once you pass on??

VERY good question, Sherra!!!

I had always planned on giving my pin with sapphire points to my one "niece" and the pin with ruby points to her sister, but Kelly didn't go Greek, and Molly didn't have ADPi on campus. So, Plan B is: Sapphire points to my chapter for some sort of Reward program (Spirit?), Ruby points to a sister who has become very special to me (and who has a daughter), and all pearls to International HQ for someone who can't afford a pin.

All this is scrapped if I end up having a daughter, of course!! :) That poor child would be lopsided, from the number of ADPi and DAR pins she would be left...!

skerbow
02-11-2004, 10:54 AM
nah, she'll just have an assortment. :D

I'm lucky my great aunt had me to pass her down to. I'm sure i would have run across it after the funeral, but It was more special this way.

I am thinking that I need to have atleast 3 daughters right now. Or have 3 granddaughters. And if not, I have a neice, and two psuedo neices that just might benefit from my mini collection.

Otherwise, to EO or my chapter they go for a sister that can't afford a pin.

texas*princess
02-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by FirstAndFinest
Thanks, Princess. I never thought about people spitefully raising the price.

yep Finest, sometimes people do that :(

sherra, that was a very good question!!! I don't have a collection yet (mainly because I'm still a poor college kid!) but if I didn't have anyone to pass them on to, I would definitely send mine back to EO

FirstAndFinest
02-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm hoping to have a daughter one day, so hopefully she will go ADPi (can a 2nd generation legacy NOT go ADPI?????_:eek:

I may have a step-daughter one day soon... Are they considered legacies? Never saw anything about that in COB. :confused:

I recently learned the my chapter LOST the President's Badge. That got me thinking... What methods or plans do chapters that have President's (or scholarship, et al) badges have in place to ensure that they stay with the chapter?

skerbow
02-11-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm hoping to have a daughter one day, so hopefully she will go ADPi (can a 2nd generation legacy NOT go ADPI?????_:eek:

I may have a step-daughter one day soon... Are they considered legacies? Never saw anything about that in COB. :confused:

Leslie - See your pm...I replied to the legacy question.

Sisters, please do not reply if you are going to get specific about our selection process. It is to be kept between initiated sisters. Please remember there are Alphas on the mb and other greeks. If you want to know my reply, please pm me. I'll be happy to share what i know.

skerbow
02-11-2004, 12:33 PM
I recently learned the my chapter LOST the President's Badge. That got me thinking... What methods or plans do chapters that have President's (or scholarship, et al) badges have in place to ensure that they stay with the chapter?

My chapter actually didn't have a presidents badge. They had a president's necklace with a gavel charm. This was passed down for many years, and I believe still is. Texas*princess can you confirm this for me??

ADPiAkron
02-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Neither did my chapter...I do not think we had anything. They passed on the gavel to the next president is all I knew of...although I was never president. (stupid stupid me!)

texas*princess
02-11-2004, 02:25 PM
My chapter actually didn't have a presidents badge. They had a president's necklace with a gavel charm. This was passed down for many years, and I believe still is. Texas*princess can you confirm this for me??

Yes it is still in use today :)

ehope
02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
i feel like i heard there was an international officer that has a fantastic collection of pins and that she brought to either a DLC or Grand Convention for everyone to see. the collegiate province director of rho chapter mentioned that she had seen them and they were beautiful.

so maybe they'll be make a travelling exhibit!

skerbow
02-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Yes i have heard the same. I think honey has made reference to her before, but without naming her.

Wouldn't that be wonderful if there was???

FirstAndFinest
02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
I have seen that collection and it is wonderful! The sister brought some to a DLC and a larger selection (including the Adelphean badge) to 150th Convention. She's also an ebayer, her name is on our list, and she once emailed me (not realizing that we know each other!) to say that she really wanted a certain badge I was also bidding on. Gosh, that was a few years ago! Anyway, her latest addition is an all-opal with an opal guard - simply breathtaking!!

honeychile
02-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm almost positive that the sister with the fabulous collection is Maureen Callahan? I've never seen it myself; Beth Hamilton has told me about it. I would LOVE to see a poster or such made of the pins - as I've said before, one of the beauties of Alpha Delta Pi is that, just like our pins, we're each originals & diverse, yet our diamonds are indentical!

FirstAndFinest
02-15-2004, 10:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661344429&category=11145

In case you are interested

skerbow
02-15-2004, 10:33 PM
That one is my favorite!! My bf wears it around his neck to remind him of me. :)

HBADPi
02-16-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm almost positive that the sister with the fabulous collection is Maureen Callahan? I've never seen it myself; Beth Hamilton has told me about it. I would LOVE to see a poster or such made of the pins - as I've said before, one of the beauties of Alpha Delta Pi is that, just like our pins, we're each originals & diverse, yet our diamonds are indentical!

Maureen came to HB when I was formal recruitment chair and helped me run a 2 day recruitment workshop. I believe her position is something in alumni relations but she was helping out our DIII recruitment advisor.

Anyways she showed us her collection which was really amazing. She has one of the original adelphean badges and all sorts of varieties of our pin. It was great to see that not only does she collect but she is also willing to share it with other sisters. I know a lot of the girls in my chapter where blown away by the collection. The one thing marueen did tell us was that there is a group of people (all of them are not necessarily greek) that collect greek pins and once and awhile they all get together and trade. She said she got a lot of the rare badges that way. Someone will go to an estate sale or see something on ebay and buy it and then offer to trade it with marueen for a non-adpi pin in her collection (I guess I should mention she collects other badges too but I didnt see that collection).

I completely agree with everyone that the people on ebay who just run up the prices are just cruel and it really stinks when a badge goes to a non-sister but who knows maybe the person who buys it ends up trading it with marueen and the pin finds its way back to us again!

Oh and Marueen told us that if we ever needed to buy another pin to contact her before buying anything off ebay because she might be able to get us a better deal. I thought I'd throw that out there in case someone is looking for a pin. So maybe if more sisters look internally rather than on ebay to get replacement pins there willl be less competition on ebay and that way we can watch actions like sitting ducks and attack at the very last minute and hope the price doesnt go as steep as it could.

ADPiAkron
02-17-2004, 04:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661344429&category=11145

In case you are interested

I wear that charm! I got mine from Gift Mart...they are getting them for all of the seniors this year at Beta Tau!!

skerbow
02-20-2004, 12:41 PM
This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone have an Alpha pin in their collection?

We had to give ours back during the beginning of Diamond Days. I would love to add one to my collection.

edited for caution's sake!

honeychile
02-20-2004, 01:03 PM
This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone have an Alpha pin in their collection?

We had to give ours back during our B* D* Ceremony. I would love to add one to my collection.

We all had to return ours at the beginning of Diamond Days, but our Alumnae Association at the time paid for each of us to keep ours. They also made cute little frames for them, so I still have mine! :)

skerbow
02-20-2004, 01:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...;category=11145

BTW If you really want to bid on this charm, consider this...The beginning bid is $40. the charm costs $20 brand new with giftmart. Just an FYI.

polarpi
02-20-2004, 08:05 PM
We all had to return ours at the beginning of Diamond Days, but our Alumnae Association at the time paid for each of us to keep ours. They also made cute little frames for them, so I still have mine! :)

That's awesome! We also had to give ours back at the beginning of Diamond Days, so I don't have mine :( There are times I wish I still did have my Alpha pin, but the thing is, when would I realy wear it? If I had it framed or something, that'd be different, but otherwise it'd probably sit in my badge box and I'd never wear it or share it with others.

honeychile
02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
*blush*

Our Alpha pins cost a whopping $2.50 each when I was a pledge!

lonestaradpi
02-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Wow, have you seen the latest badge on ebay? If there wasn't a sister bidding on it, I would for sure and maybe even borrow $$ from my savings! It is an all opal one from 67. It is so pretty! Best of luck ladies.

skerbow
02-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Yep. :D I have one just like it. It was my great Aunts. She was initiated in 1936.

lonestaradpi
02-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Yep. :D I have one just like it. It was my great Aunts. She was initiated in 1936.

Wow! I am impressed, but also jealous! That's so cool. Beautiful and sentimental!

skerbow
02-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes. She had no heirs. And when my mom told her I had joined a sorority, she asked which one. Mom told her ADPi, she said, i have a special gift for her. So on my 20th bday, it was given to me as a gift. I cried. I wear it everyone. My poor badge, never gets any attention.

lonestaradpi
02-20-2004, 10:52 PM
That is such a great story! What a true treasure!

FirstAndFinest
02-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I still have mine. See, I was one of my chapter's last Pledges, and it's a long story, but my pledge pin was not collected from me.

GPhiBLtColonel
03-24-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by cutiepatootie
Sorry to crash your board...... Tyoregon does have a daughter and mother and they are both Alpha Phi's our EO knows of his daughter and EO has seen her serious collection of Alpha Phi badges that daddy warbucks ( tyoregon) has bought for her. He is a not very nice man if you ever deal with him on an email level. Even if your the nicest sincerest person who emailed him a non threatening email he still is a creep.

He does run up the board to outragious amts and in my opinon is a creep. He tells everyone he has a daughter that is a KD,APHI,KKG,ADPI, etc... i don't know his reasoning but nonetheless a jerk

I love your idea of guardians of the diamond program to help "save " your badges... you all should be commended for trying to save your heritage like us all against creeps like him!

Laura

Just a note from another board crasher:) I have had some email run-ins with TyOregon and I am sorry to say this about another of God's creatures but the man is evil & conniving! He has told one of our international officers who emailed him about a badge of ours he was bidding on that he has a Gamma Phi daughter and Gamma Phi holds a special place in his heart blah blah blah...Laura is right that this man has deep pockets and a bad attitude! Nasty side note -- I once did a search to see what other kinds of things he bought besides sorority badges -- well I learned that he has something like a 46 inch waist and wears sweater vests (in 2XL)!! He also collects anything associated with the Portland (OR) rose festival and stamp boxes......

wptw
03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey, is this where all the cross-forum board crashers are hanging out? Cool.

You find the guy a nasty human being, so you'll just drop right down to his level and start insulting him based on his weight and choice of clothing?

That's some real class there! :rolleyes:

wptw

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 10:22 AM
This man sounds amazing (and not in a good way).

I just don't get pin collectors, male or female. What the hell is the point of collecting sorority/fraternity pins. Trying to make up for the fact that themselves or a family member didn't get a bid? What?
I mean our (our in every fraternity and sorority) have pretty much NO VALUE to anyone outside that particular sorority/fraternity. I just don't get it.

As Denzel Washington said in Philadelphia "will someone please explain it to me like I was a five year old"

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by wptw

You find the guy a nasty human being, so you'll just drop right down to his level and start insulting him based on his weight and choice of clothing?

wptw

For someone to crash our forum and say we have 'no class', I would say you need to mind your business. You don't know the situation at hand. So in other words, keep your insulting comments to yourself.

Sorry if I sound like a bee atch, but this irked me.

wptw
03-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Brianna, I'm not sure which of your posts was more off the mark.

First of all, I was replying to GPhiLtColonel's comment about the guy's waist size, which I maintain was just plain mean. Truly a low blow. I mean, she even prefaces it by saying "nasty side note". But judging from her username, I'm going out on a limb to say she's not an ADPi. So you see, I didn't say YOU have no class. Please read carefully.

As for your other post about collectors collecting badges to make up for the fact that they didn't get a bid... I DID get a bid, which I accepted. As did just about every other badge collector out there. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

wptw

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Brianna, I'm not sure which of your posts was more off the mark.

First of all, I was replying to GPhiLtColonel's comment about the guy's waist size, which I maintain was just plain mean. Truly a low blow. I mean, she even prefaces it by saying "nasty side note". But judging from her username, I'm going out on a limb to say she's not an ADPi. So you see, I didn't say YOU have no class. Please read carefully.

As for your other post about collectors collecting badges to make up for the fact that they didn't get a bid... I DID get a bid, which I accepted. As did just about every other badge collector out there. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

wptw

Fine if you want to reply to GPhiLtColonel's post, it's called quote her post. You didn't. So I do have a right to assume that you are in fact dissing anyone whom has posted on this thread.

I don't why collectors are so interested in our (all fraternity and sorority) pins. I can only guess, that was my guess. Obviously, not everyone is going to fall into that category.

But since you are most likely a pin collector, why don't you explain it to me. Explain why pin collectors are rude and conniving? I'm not saying you are those two charactoristics, but the pin collectors I've delt with are. They make the bids on ebay so astronomical that a sister can't even attempt to save her own sororities pin. And that is all it comes to saving our pins from collectors who have no business owning them in the first place. Explain it to me. I want to understand and I don't.

wptw
03-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Huh? My post was the very next one and I referenced her comment almost verbatim. I don't see how that was unclear in any way. But OK, next time I'll quote her post for you.

There are a ton of threads here on why badge collectors collect badges. They appear weekly, sometimes daily. All your questions are answered there.

But as a quick summary, I'd say you appear to confusing collectors with dealers. You may also be basing your opinion of collectors on one guy (tyorgegon) who most actual collectors would tell you is not part of our little "community". And I'd say that ebay automatically sets market price. If the opening bid is too high, the item won't sell. So while YOU may consider the opening bid "astronomical" and prohibitive, if someone bids on it, then that's how much it's worth. And I'd say that what drives the price up to astronomical levels is generally not collectors but members. And I'd point out that one of your own beloved sisters is one of these "evil and nasty" pin collectors. All of these points are discussed on recent threads on the subject. Do a quick search on my username and you'll find them. I post almost exclusively on this topic.

EDIT: I went back and removed my "rollseyes" smiley from this post because I sense you really do want to understand this.

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 12:04 PM
I get that ebay sets a market price, obviously I wasn't clear on what I meant with the bidding getting astronomical.

For example I was bidding on a pin. Let's say ebay was saying the high bid was 50. So I go in and put 51, like ebay instructs and it says I've been outbid. I go in again and raise it. Come back with the same result. It turned out that the high bidder, which was a collector, had bid like 150. So that meant until someone outbid that we were always going to be told, we've been outbid. That is what I mean by making it astronomical. The seller could start the bid out at 20 bucks, but if someone goes in an bids 150, ebay isn't going to say that. It's gonna say that the high bid is 20 bucks. I'm not sure if I am making any sense. If I'm not, I'm sorry.

GPhiBLtColonel
03-24-2004, 05:04 PM

wptw

This is only thing I will say on this matter and then I am done crashing ADPi's boards --- I did not "insult" tyoregon -- I stated what I learned he has bid on and bought besides badges -- it's the facts as you can see on ebay yourself.

I prefaced my remark by saying it was a "nasty side note" because that is just what it was and I admit it -- it is always nasty to talk about someone behind their back.

I apologize to the women of ADPi on this board who have to deal with these comments because of what I posted. :(

texas*princess
03-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Let's all play nice please!

GPhiBLtColonel, you are always more than welcome to browse and reply to the ADPi Forum! :)

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
This is only thing I will say on this matter and then I am done crashing ADPi's boards --- I did not "insult" tyoregon -- I stated what I learned he has bid on and bought besides badges -- it's the facts as you can see on ebay yourself.

I prefaced my remark by saying it was a "nasty side note" because that is just what it was and I admit it -- it is always nasty to talk about someone behind their back.

I apologize to the women of ADPi on this board who have to deal with these comments because of what I posted. :(

Sweetie, you don't need to apologize for this other person's behavior. I completely echo Texas Princess' sentiment, you are more than welcome to crash any time you want. :)

texas*princess
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
ASUADPi is right! No need to apologize! I always see what other people have bid on / or have sold before also :)

GPhiBLtColonel
03-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Thank you guys very much -- I felt really bad for the "furball" that ensued because if what I posted. Y'all are very sweet!:D

wptw
03-24-2004, 06:31 PM
It wasn't that she sees what other items he bids on. I do that too. It's the obviously disparaging remark she made about his waist size.

GPhiBLtColonel, why don't you apologize for what you said, and not for what other people said to you after you said it. Yours is a classic NON-apology: "I'm really very sorry that someone called me out on my crappy comment."

The implication of your comment was very clear: The guy's a fat nerdy dork. Or were you trying to be complimentary when you mentioned his 42 inch waist? This guy made you mad on a badge auction so you personally insulted him. It just wasn't nice, and I think you know it.

Back to topic:
ASUADPi, yes, now I understand what you're saying about ebay. They call that their proxy bidding service. But again, it's not always a collector putting in the $150 proxy bid - it could just as easily be another sister. I find that collectors usually use proxy bidding and sniping while members (especially those new to ebay) tend to do what you do - bidding it up $2 at a time and being continuously outbid. When you have a lot of bidders using the latter strategy, the final price tends to be inflated. That's why I've always argued that member on member bidding drives up prices far more than collector bidding. Collectors very rarely overpay for a given badge because they're most familiar with badge market prices (ebay and off-ebay).

I hope that explains it a bit.

wptw

texas*princess
03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
wptw, please refrain from flaming other GCers on this board :)

In GPhiBLtColonel's original post she just posted what she learned by viewing his past ebay wins.

wptw
03-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Yeah. Noted, thanks texas*princess. I'm quite sure she was just innocently noting his waist size with no malice whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Next time the collector being bashed on here might be your beloved badge collector sister Maureen, and then I'm sure you'll be all up in arms.

Anyway, your message is quite clear:

Insulting GCers = bad.
Insulting strangers who aren't members of GC and can't defend themselves here = OK.

Keep up the good work! :rolleyes:

wptw

ASUADPi
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah. Noted, thanks texas*princess. I'm quite sure she was just innocently noting his waist size with no malice whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Next time the collector being bashed on here might be your beloved badge collector sister Maureen, and then I'm sure you'll be all up in arms.

Anyway, your message is quite clear:

Insulting GCers = bad.
Insulting strangers who aren't members of GC and can't defend themselves here = OK.

Keep up the good work! :rolleyes:

wptw

I have two words for you.

GROW UP!!!!

End of discussion, might I suggest to the moderators that you close this thread down.

honeychile
03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Due to popular request.