PDA

View Full Version : Question

GreekLetterGirl
02-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok first II am not sure if anyone can help me with this or not but I am hoping that y'all can shed some light at the very least. This is a bit of background info on what is going on...

I have recently switched jobs that enables me to work closer to a 40 hr per week schedule which is really great for my resume and expierence... on top of that I am working on about 18 credits that way I am able to go and graduate on time in April. Which is great .. but obviously this is taking up alot of my time... now on top of this some health problems have arose and my doctor has writen me an excuse to give to the chapter explaining that due to these health problems, I need to be excused from my duties untill my treatment has started and I begin to impove, which is even more butt... so i know that this won't be till i graduate ( at least that is what I am hoping but who knows) ... what can I do....

So far I have emailed my advisors, and they are talking about inactivity which really makes me sad because I defiently want to go alum and I feel that if I went inactive that there would be a huge division between me and the chapter as well, which isn't cool at all because there are a lot of girls that I am close to in the chapter. I know that on my side after these whole health problems get situated I am going to have to put more effort in to going to meeting and things as much as I can, but I know that out of the thousands of sisters out there I am not the only one to be put in this situation... I want to stay in good chapter standing and be able to look back on this last semster I have with the sorority and smile, but as it stands right now it isn't going so good... so if anyone has any ideas.. the way i understand it is inactivity is pretty much like handing over your badge till you " come back from inactive status" which would be never for me since I am graduating.... so... if anyone has any ideas please let me know.. the sorority has been a huge part of my collegiate career and I don't want it to end here...
thanks for your help

sweetie adpi
02-08-2003, 09:43 PM
hi greek letter girl! you weren't at the recruitment party today were you? hahaha... i didn't talk to you and not even know it did i? congrats with the job, good luck with school, and i really really hope things get better healthwise for you.

i think the one of the best things you can do with however things turn out with the inactivity issue, is to keep up communication with the chapter as much as you can... i know we had one of our fifth year seniors go inactive last fall before she graduated after her extra semester. the chapter knew it wasn't personal, it was just life, and as a fifth year she couldn't participate enough or afford it really to be active. the chapter didn't cut ties with her at all, we invited her to all the events that we could and she would come if she could manage and always contributed when she could to the chapter. talk to your advisors, check the COB... i don't know how alum status works... as far as i knew, the only time you could go alum, instead of inactive, was if, say you transferred and there was no chapter where you had transferred to... otherwise if you couldn't participate in your own chapter, the only option was inactivity which just means you aren't actively participating in the chapter because you aren't required to go to anything and you aren't paying dues, but the chapter can invite you to activities as much as they want.... if you were in good standing to begin with, inactivity due to health reasons shouldn't put you in poor standing with the chapter... but i could be misinformed about this stuff, i'm not sure, so utilize your advisors/the COB! and besides, with less than a full semester left right now, i'm not sure what the difference would be, actually? if inactivity doesn't mean you aren't in good standing, you'll be able to go through jewel degree and everything at the end of the semester, which even if you went "alum" this semester, you wouldn't be able to do any sooner...

well, good luck and i hope things work out for you... let me know how it turns out!

L&L

valpogal99
03-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Without knowing the whole situation, this is a tough call. Is it possible to attend the sorority meetings and just not hold offices or is it a problem with work interfering with the meetings. We had a situation where a sister was working and they wanted her to work during our meeting times. While it was sometimes out of her control, she always requested the day off. She usually got our meeting times off but if she had to work, an arrangement was made (only because it happened maybe 2 times a semester). If it is a matter of needing fewer responsibilities, I am sure your chapter will understand if you step down from any positions you hold while still attending meetings to stay involved that way. I guess it really comes down to the personal situation. If you are not able to attend meetings, the chapters hands may be tied because of regulations in place surrounding that issue.