PDA

View Full Version : question

kayla_adpi
01-27-2003, 09:13 PM
i was wondering if anybody could tell me what i spy an adpi is. and i was also wondering that if any of you have any creative ideas for corresponding secretary. i just got that office and i want to do something more with the office than write thank you cards.. i would greatly appreciate the help. thanks.

pi love,
kayla

sweetie adpi
01-28-2003, 01:47 AM
we did i spy an adpi on allegheny's campus... until we were told at districts that we weren't allowed to anymore... what it is is a fundraiser - kind of like a deadman's ball (you probly don't know what i mean, sorry it's late and i'm rambling) only on a larger scale, where teams of students make a donation and sign up to play during a set time - each member of the team gets this itty bitty water gun (like those keychain ones, ya know?) but if they want they can upgrade to their own water gun and during the set time period one week (not in dorms, classes or buildings) while out on campus, the sisters wear tshirts with bullseyes on them with letters in the center of the bullseye and when members of teams see sisters, they can squirt them with the water gun and then give the sister their team number... the sisters report back how many times they've been squirted by what teams and the team with the most squirts at the end of the week or whenever gets some type of prize (usually businesses in the community will donate stuff if you let them know proceeds go to rmh) also we found that some very generous businesses would match donations, etc which was nice.... however like i said, when we went to districts two years ago, we were told to no longer use this fundraiser due to the association with guns.... bummer but oh well i guess.... it really was a fun time and some of the more competitive teams ran around with super soakers and stalked us when we came out of the dorms.... we would try to sneak past them and get away but they'd always get us... :D it drew attention to us for having a fun game/fundraiser and for rmh... man, i kinda wish we could still do it cause everyone had such a good time and i think we raised alot (for our campus which is really small) of $... ever since we've been trying to come up with a fundraiser that can be trademark adpi... i've heard of dye a pi? does anyone know what that is? also we do pie a pi at the childrens carnival in the spring, but that isn't widely attended by the campus community and there are other older pie throwing contests that take place over the school year so that would probly be redundant. ok i'll quit rambling :D
good luck and congrats with corr. sec.!

L&L

HBADPi
01-28-2003, 11:17 AM
hey kayla_adpi

check your PM messages ;)

kayla_adpi
01-28-2003, 08:59 PM
thanks so much ladies. you were both a big help!!

pi love,
kayla

kateshort
01-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by sweetie adpi
i've heard of dye a pi? does anyone know what that is?

Oh, yeah!

Eta Psi at Valpo did that this year in September. Basically, it was a fundraiser in which about 10-15 sisters volunteered to dye their hair for charity. Their pics were in the union with a ballot for 3-5 hair colors. So Susie could have red, blue, or orange, and Mary could have red, blonde, or pink, etc. You pay $1.00 per vote to try to get the sister to dye her hair a certain color. So if Susie got $17 for blue and $12 for orange and $5 for red, she'd dye her hair blue!

Let me tell you, you need to have someone who knows how to dye hair doing this. -grin- Burnt hair isn't sexy no matter what color it is!

Pics can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/adpi-vu/ph03-dye.htm

They raised $425 for charity! They are totally doing it again next year. And let me tell you, you stand out on campus if you're in letters with pink hair...

ADPiDana
02-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Our corresponding secretary sends Season's Greetings cards out over Christmas Break to all of the girls parents. I know my mom and dad really appreciate it.
loyally
-Dana

violets
02-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Okay, well, I've never done "I spy" but I do have a few corresponding secretary ideas.
First, remember that snail mail is something that people never get anymore and therefore treasure all the more, so the cards and letters you send will be valued--just want to make sure you know that because sometimes it seems like a thankless job, but it isn't. The letters and cards you send are tangible evidence of the graciousness of ADPi.
Therefore I suggest that first you get your hands on a very good ettiquette book, I recommend anything written by "Miss Manners," Judith Martin. You will be able to reference the appropriate language and format for every letter you send, I know that I use her books all the time for lots of different situations, whenever I have to write a response to a wedding invite or a very difficult sympathy letter.
Now, think about the people whom ADPi should be communicating with
other sisters
Alumnae and Advisors
RMH
GLOs in your systems
Other organizations on campus
School Faculty
Staff of school
Community at large
Other chapters
So lets break these down with some ideas for each category:

Sisters in your chapter:
Do you send Birthday cards?
How about Anniversary cards for the anniversary of ADPi initiations?
Good luck cards for major tests like MCATs and LSATs are appreciated.
Get Well cards are always appreciated.
Random "Senior Sister Appreciation Cards." Senior retention can be a problem so each month send a couple of seniors a thank you card saying that the chapter appreciates their contributions over the last 3 or 4 years.
Haven't seen a sister at chapter for a while, instead of getting on her back, send her a note saying that she was very much missed and her contributions are always valued.
How about reminder postcards? You could remind sisters of upcoming events, or important campus dates, like registration or housing deadlines.
(Remember that postcards, made yourself are pretty darn cheap to make and send.)

Alumnae and Advisors:
If you have an active alumnae program, cards Congratulating alumnae on new jobs, degrees, weddings, births etc are always appreciated.
As for advisors, a Christmas card, a birthday card and maybe a thank you card once a year can make a volunteers experience so much better.

RMH:
Do you know the staff at RMH? Recognize their life events, bdays weddings etc...

GLOs in your system:
Send an anniversary card for each of their national and local anniversaries.
Send a card congratulating them after each big event, Rush, a philanthropy event, etc...
Send cards acknowledging contributions to campus or community, i.e. a Pi Phi elected Pres. of Student Body should get a card from ADPi
This is the same for Panhellenic and IFC, congratulations and thanksent to the Panhell Rush team, and all the Rho Chis (or whatever they are called) post rush.

Other organizations on campus.
Comb your campus paper, and note all the activties and achievements of the other organizations on campus. Acknowledge the amateur drama department’s productions, send a note of thanks for the debates the local political organizations set up. This may also serve to make you the most campus-aware women in your chapter, which is a nice benefit. You may be inspired to email all your ADPis a "campus calendar" alerting everyone to upcoming events.

School Faculty:
Now, I don't recommend birthday cards here, but make sure you are aware of the achievements of your faculty. If a Professor is awarded a large grant, if a book is published, a study gains national notice, a nice simple congratulatory note is a lovely gesture.

Staff of school:
Go through the day and think about how many services you actually do avail yourself of during the day, how many people silently keep the school humming:
LibrariansParking staff,Computer lab, cafeteria, janitors, etc...a note of thanks to the heads of these departments at the end of each semester is really a nice gesture and helps everyone to remember to be grateful to people that sometimes we don't even see but who help make our days easier.

Community at Large:
Comb the local paper and recognize the schools, businesses and other charitable organizations working in and around your university. Notes of acknowledgment for great philanthropic event, or even to the local High School's drama dept. a successful "spring musical" can deepenthe ties ADPi has to their local community.
Don't forget Christmas Cards and letters to members of the U.S. military. You may want to coordinate this as a your personal service project.

Other Chapters:
Fist, keep posting here and on Pride Online about your chapter's achievements, it gets us all inspired! But feel free to send little congratulatory notes to all the chapters that make Diamond 4point, or whom you read have wonderful service projects or stupdendous recruitments. Communication between ADPis shoud be one of the most fun parts of your job!
Okay, that's my treatise on your job (can you tell that I was Corresponding Secretary in college as well????)
Hope it gives you some useful ideas.
violets