PDA

View Full Version : Any advice....a question for members

AlwaysDivine
09-09-2000, 05:18 PM
Recently an underground line was exposed at my school and it looks like the graduate chapter will be taking over the Intake Process meaning a lot of the rituals and secret traditions may not be taught. In addition, all of the current members of the chapter are seniors. I really would like to ask what suggestions any of you who are already in the organization may have about how members who (hopefully) get in through this process could go about getting the same value of sisterhood and sense of the organization? I'm not asking for secrets (so don't take it that way please). It's just that many who take this route for intake are often not respected (I was told this by many members) and are considered - well I am sure you know. All replies would be greatly appreciated.

7BA94
09-11-2000, 08:10 PM
You are right if you skate in you will not be respected except by other people who skate. At least, that is my opinion. If you don't pledge, there are just certain things you can't understand. Sorry.

Professor
09-12-2000, 09:57 AM
To be an Alpha Man is an on-going process. This includes remaining active in grad chapters, paying dues and serving on committees. I know Brothers are respected regardless of how they came into the organization if they do the above mentioned. I question Brothers that don't come to meetings, serve in no capacity, will not pay graduate or national dues but will sports the black and old gold letters on a regular basis.

7BA94
09-12-2000, 01:54 PM
I respectfully disagree with the professor. You will not be respected if you do not pledge. Now after you cross if you do not do anything to help the community or to help a brother in need. I may go you lazy or whatever, but you would still be a lazy bro. As supposed to a skating b#$@!, you make the call.

Professor
09-12-2000, 04:58 PM
Brother 7BA94,

As you are aware, we no longer have a process called pledging. The current system is in-take. The fact of the matter is if pledging was an acceptable method then not only Alpha but other Greek organizations would still use this method.

While I respect all brothers in the frat, I just can't understand why this issue continues to be debated. As I see it the system had major flaws, not to mention deaths, mental abuse, etc. For those that continue to dislike the current system why not lobby to have the system changed much like individuals that supported changing the pledge process to in-take.

"06"

7BA94
09-13-2000, 04:27 PM
Now Professor you and I both know, unless we put our head in the sand, that pledging still is practiced. So it would be untruthful to say it doesn't or to say that people who didn't pledge get as much respect as those who did. As for lobbying for change, that goes on every day. Intake was pushed downed the fraternities throat. Read the Divine Nine in it almost everyone laments the new process. If there are so many against it why is it still the rule, unfortunately a few rule many. Oh and it is much safer to pledge even underground than it is to drive a car. For a more in depth look at this topic read paper members in the general forum. Page 3 is very informative.

[This message has been edited by 7BA94 (edited September 13, 2000).]

Professor
09-14-2000, 09:19 AM
Brother 7BA94,

We can agree to disagree!

10-28-2000, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Professor:
Brother 7BA94,

As you are aware, we no longer have a process called pledging. The current system is in-take. The fact of the matter is if pledging was an acceptable method then not only Alpha but other Greek organizations would still use this method.

While I respect all brothers in the frat, I just can't understand why this issue continues to be debated. As I see it the system had major flaws, not to mention s, mental abuse, etc. For those that continue to dislike the current system why not lobby to have the system changed much like individuals that supported changing the pledge process to in-take.

"06"

What in the He!! do you mean if it was acceptable we would still do it. It was acceptable the entire time our founders were here. Also, the only people who really wanted intake were the damn insurance companis. The undergrad chapters damn sure did not want it. The only reason intake still exists is the national organization will not take a vote on it.

I was pretty sure before, but now I know the professor skated into the frat. While I may value your opinion on life your opinions on the frat are no longer valid. There are poems and saying and symbols it will be impossible for you to understand except for on the level of an observer.

Professor
10-31-2000, 12:47 AM
For those that dislike the process, I encourage each of you to run for national office. Perhaps as president of the frat the so called flawed system will be corrected.

You may perhaps even receive my endorsement!

0-0-0-6

Looker
11-01-2000, 06:15 PM
This question is for 7BA94 , How do you know if a person skated into an organization? I am curious.

Alpha14
11-16-2000, 02:06 PM
I don't beleive a person should "Skate" into our organizations, but there should be no line drawn between members too. Do the right by making: hard working, honesty, loyal and sisters who can lead in your organization. After all, you all are siister in our eyes and should begin acting like ones.

Those persons who go against, the organization rules and guildlines should be the ones who check "their attitudes" remember we must move with change and not result to "Slave Matter" tactic to control another human being, she is still your sister. Sorry for my frastration, it's funny how we can't with the time.

"06"

Alpha14
11-16-2000, 02:15 PM
What about brother's who made through graduate chapters? Do they get respect? I know, of the old "pledge" process, but many Undergraduate Brothers disregard in the new Intake Process with no respect. But, they have no real clue to the old system. I say, the new process is better. We are the "School For The Better Making of Men". I was taught? Help me understand!