PDA

View Full Version : $12.00 per hr.

Professor
10-26-2000, 08:45 AM
Good Morning Brothers and Sisters,

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and the newsperson stated that somewhere in California the minimum wage was raised to $12.00 per hour. Can you imagine that! Now my field is not economics but can someone help me with this. I believe poverty or poverty level will always exist. Therefore, I don't understand why the minimum wage is raised or economics of this act. For example, if the minimum wage is $12 then surely a professional job if equated to an hourly rate has to be like $40 per hour or more. Additionally, if you raise the salary of the poor then salaries of others are surely to increase. In essence, the poor will remain poor and the rich remain rich - - I think!

Discogoddess
10-26-2000, 03:32 PM
I think a specific municipality raised the minimum wage for companies doing business with them in an effort to create a living wage and better standard of living. The municipality is said to be one of the most expensive in the country, second only to San Francisco, according to the NPR report I heard. Several cities, including the one I live in, have passed such "living wage" laws for companies seeking to do business with them.

Living wages don't necessarily increase the salaries of skilled workers, but a growing economy and shortage of such workers sure as heck will! And I for one am GLAD about it...as long as it holds.

Lil' bit
10-26-2000, 03:35 PM
SkeePhi Professor... I am in California and can assure you that the minimum wage has NOT been raised to $12 an hour. However, if it were, the point you made is right on.. Oops, just read that in certain municipalities it has been raised. Well, I haven't heard it yet, so I will keep my eyes and ears open http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lil' bit (edited October 26, 2000).]

MIDWESTDIVA
10-26-2000, 04:09 PM
It seems to me that everytime the minimum wage goes up, prices go up too. And it does make sense that this would happen. So really, what is the point of increasing wages if it causes the cost of living to increase as well? Aren't the poor in the same boat they were in before?

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC

Professor
10-26-2000, 04:14 PM
My Point Exactly!

Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
It seems to me that everytime the minimum wage goes up, prices go up too. And it does make sense that this would happen. So really, what is the point of increasing wages if it causes the cost of living to increase as well? Aren't the poor in the same boat they were in before?

The Original Ape
10-27-2000, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Professor:
Good Morning Brothers and Sisters,

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and the newsperson stated that somewhere in California the minimum wage was raised to $12.00 per hour. Can you imagine that! Now my field is not economics but can someone help me with this. I believe poverty or poverty level will always exist. Therefore, I don't understand why the minimum wage is raised or economics of this act. For example, if the minimum wage is $12 then surely a professional job if equated to an hourly rate has to be like $40 per hour or more. Additionally, if you raise the salary of the poor then salaries of others are surely to increase. In essence, the poor will remain poor and the rich remain rich - - I think!

By George, I think you've got it, man!