PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Rankings on the Internet

AlphaChiGirl
03-11-2001, 07:47 PM
I was scanning through some Greek umbrella organizations' webpages on some public universities' home pages, and I found the ranking of groups by GPA, comparing them to the All-Greek and Non-Greek GPAs (it's been an argument of Greek supporters that the GPA of Greeks is higher than the non-greek grade point average). Has anyone seen these? It really upset me that there were so many groups with grade point averages below like, 2.5! I thought that 2.0 was the cutoff for most groups (I know it is for NPC and NIC groups)--what is a group doing with a 1.9?!

Just wondering if anyone had seen these, and what their reactions were.

Here's one I found: I'll add more as I remember the URL's. http://www.unc.edu/depts/greek/ReportS97.html

[This message has been edited by AlphaChiGirl (edited March 11, 2001).]

Unregistered-
03-11-2001, 08:15 PM
AlphaChi, I know what you mean.

I remember one day I was looking at the GPA rankings for the Duke University (or maybe it was UNC?) Greeks. The majority of the NPC/NPHC/IFC Greeks had a GPA above a 2.75, but I did notice that there were some with a chapter cumulative GPA that was way below a 2.5...

For a chapter to be in good standing in AGD, they must have a semester cumulative of 2.75. If it is a convention year any chapter that has a GPA below that does not have voting privileges. My chapter has a strong scholarship program, and I know that many of the nationals do also.

That's why I was surprised after reading about the chapter with a 1.9! I know I would be SO embarrased if our chapter GPA was that low. If I were part of an organization like that I'd seriously consider the things I would do to help bring it up!!!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter! (http://www2.hawaii.edu/~alphagam)

33girl
03-11-2001, 11:05 PM
2.0 is the cutoff for most groups. The smaller the group, the easier it is to slip into a crappy GPA. For example, if there are 100 members in the chapter and 5 of them do badly it really doesn't make a dent, but if 5 out of 25 screw up it really affects the whole chapter.

At schools where the groups don't get over 45-50 members, it unfortunately happens rather often. I know our grades were always better in the spring than the fall because we had a lot of education majors and student teaching was in the spring, and I don't think any of them received below a B.

DukeBlue
09-29-2001, 12:39 AM
Duke doesn't post the GPAs on their site, I've explored it thoroughly. ;) UNC does, though.

I know that here 9 of the 11 NPC groups require a 2.0 to pledge/initiate and the other two require a 2.25. We don't have an AGD chapter.

I have no idea about the IFC and NPHC groups here, though.

carnation
09-29-2001, 07:28 AM
I know that UGa and Mercer do; y'all would be be shocked at how high the GPAs at Georgia are because you have to have such a high GPA to even get into the school anymore. People with a 3.8 and a 1200 SAT are near the bottom of the entering freshman class.

Most of the sororities have well over a 3.0; some have as high as a 3.4, as I recall.

Betarulz!
09-29-2001, 02:23 PM
In 1984 Beta Theta Pi was the first GLO to require a chapter to have a 2.5 cum GPA in order to not be suspended (we have annual conventions). I think it was early in the 90's when they also required a 2.5 from all members. You have to have 2.5 to initiate, and actives that don't get 2.5 they go on probation-required study hours, and loss of voting privilages in chapter, and sometimes social probation as well. If they have two consecutive semesters under 2.5 then they go up for member review which could lead to having to turn in their badge.

I don't think at Nebraska any of the sororities has under a 3.0, and I doubt a Frat has a GPA under 2.7

It definetly bothers me that some groups would have such a low GPA. It really demonstrates how few chapters or GLO's are working everyday to uphold the ideals of their founders.:(

MoxieGrrl
12-01-2001, 12:29 AM
I know this is an old thread...but I still think the information should be relevant, so...

On my campus, our Phi Kappa Tau and Alpha Xi Delta chapters both have the highest GPAs of any chapter in their respective national organizations. Our AWA and AMA is is about 3.2 for each. I assume this is pretty well for an entire college. Most of the sororities have GPAs above all the AWA...but a lot of the fraternities don't.

queequek
01-02-2002, 05:49 PM
For Iowa State University,

Fraternities http://www.dso.iastate.edu/dept/greekaffairs/mensgradereport.doc

Sororities
http://www.dso.iastate.edu/dept/greekaffairs/womensgradereport.doc

NeonPi
01-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Here are Ohio State's ...

http://www.osu.edu/student-activities/Greek/chapters/grades.htm

carnation
01-22-2002, 09:14 AM
Wow! Look at those Pi Phi grades at Ohio State- way to go, girls!!

Here are the grade comparisons for Mercer.

www.mercer.edu/csil/greek_grade.htm

Glitter650
03-20-2002, 01:10 AM
I totally agree with the whole amount of members thing. I know in my chapter... (we have about 20 actives) girls our Chapter has I believe around 2.7 .. but like 10 or 11 of our members got scholarship pearls this semster which means above a 3.2.. so those girls not doing well.. (although they have to be at least a 2.0) brought it down quickly.. goes to show you have to do your part to help out the group.. =)

Peaches-n-Cream
03-20-2002, 10:53 AM
I remember when I was in college, our required GPA for initiation and to be an active sister was a 2.0. A few years ago it was raised to a 2.25. I think that was a campus requirement. One of my professors freshman year informed us that we should study at least two hours outside of class for every credit that we were taking. 16 credits= 32 study hours. I found that to be an excellent rule of thumb.